I really "liked" my Omnia i920 ...BUT

I'm in the same boat. My Omnia is keeping me happy for the moment, but I've got my eye on whatever 4G phones Verizon plans to roll out (I've heard it will be around the holiday season). There are some really nice Android phones available now, but it doesn't make much sense to make the switch now. As for Win 7, I've read really good things about it, but in all honesty... I can't stand the look of the interface. We have super AMOLED screens to display postage stamp sized blue boxes? I never has much of a fan of the Zune interface, so I'm not thrilled about a phone patterned after it.

Guest kdkinc

I can understand the want to upgrade to the DroidX IT IS a great phone and there is great leaps recently into "fixing" it.

The Android world is a definite learning experience. The only similarities to WM are the power on/off switch...lol.

I've rooted and un-rooted, updated to early release of Froyo 2.2 ,and made changes that suit my preference.

Just plainly the phone is quick and the screen is GREAT.

When I upgraded to the Droidx I did the "One year option" with VZW. This will allow me to go to a 4g,LTE phone May 2011.

AT the moment I don't see myself using the upgrade this coming May but time will tell.

Plus in my area They don't even deliver pizza so I can't see LTE coming that soon

The i920 is a nice phone but I feel that its going to left behind as soon a WM7 hits the streets.

I personally can't get excited by what I've seen of the WM7 U/I, just my opinion...

What I miss most about the i920 is this forum

Thank You

:huh: ;)

Guest vol-fisher
I can understand the want to upgrade to the DroidX IT IS a great phone and there is great leaps recently into "fixing" it.

The Android world is a definite learning experience. The only similarities to WM are the power on/off switch...lol.

I've rooted and un-rooted, updated to early release of Froyo 2.2 ,and made changes that suit my preference.

Just plainly the phone is quick and the screen is GREAT.

When I upgraded to the Droidx I did the "One year option" with VZW. This will allow me to go to a 4g,LTE phone May 2011.

AT the moment I don't see myself using the upgrade this coming May but time will tell.

Plus in my area They don't even deliver pizza so I can't see LTE coming that soon

The i920 is a nice phone but I feel that its going to left behind as soon a WM7 hits the streets.

I personally can't get excited by what I've seen of the WM7 U/I, just my opinion...

What I miss most about the i920 is this forum

Thank You

I got my X in yesterday and the difference between the 920 and it are like night and day. I was a silent follower on this site for the 920, learning as I went and for sure did not have anything to contribute to the site as this was my first smart phone. I enjoyed the rom's and such trying to make it a better phone, but truth is we should not have to do that to have a phone that was decent. I like most of you waited all last year for it to be released, and at first it was a fun toy but soon turned into frustration. I seemed to making more excuses for the phone to make folks think I had a cool phone that was fast blah blah blah. But when I opened this yesterday and started playing with the X, I soon realized that I am not going to have to make up stories about this phone. At work last night my coworkers were amazed at how fast this phone is and all the things it does right out of the box. Even the Iphone guys were digging it, and I had 3 blackberry users and other droid users call last night to upgrade to it.

Though I am not a homie on the site, I wanted to thank you guys for all the hard work you have put in for us dumb guys to improve our phones. I would love to see you cook's come over to the other side and see what you can do to a beast like the X once it is finally opened up. I do have my 920 sitting here on the desk boxed up with all original stuff that I would love to get rid of before my daughter turns it into her toy. Send me a message if you might be interested in it.

Thanks again guys!!!

Guest kdkinc
Any reason that you chose the droid x over the incredible?

screen size plus the 8GB storage and also up to 32gb sd card.

8 mp camera.

Mainly the screen size & fat fingers.

As a side note my son Had a Eris phone comparing the two phone in size I think my battery was bigger than the Eris... lol

He now has a Droid2 which is very similar to the DX but with a slide out key board .

I understand the hesitation their are some tough choices....

Guest unchoney

With the update that the incredible is getting(2.2 and 720p recording plus no waiting) it makes it even harder, if it were not for the joy stick on the incredible I probably wouldn't hesitate.I never liked that on the blackberry.it just seems like it would get in the way.

screen size plus the 8GB storage and also up to 32gb sd card.

8 mp camera.

Mainly the screen size & fat fingers.

As a side note my son Had a Eris phone comparing the two phone in size I think my battery was bigger than the Eris... lol

He now has a Droid2 which is very similar to the DX but with a slide out key board .

I understand the hesitation their are some tough choices....

I'm pretty sure the incredible has all that, screen size would be up to preference as long as it's not smaller than the 3.7 standard it could get too bulky for some, the hdmi out though is a nice touch missing from the incredible. I think the battery you make a good point though as if I'm not mistaken the incredible uses the same smaller battery that fits in the eris.

The "joystick" on the incredible is nearly flush against the case so it doesn't really get in the way, but it's not as useful as a directional pad would be for scrolling and the only time my dad ever uses it is when taking pictures(it's the shutter button)...on that topic does the droid x have a dedicated two stage camera button like our omnias? I doubt it as it's something manufacturers don't seem to care about anymore but that's by dads biggest complaint about his phone.

Edited by bmt10

Guest unchoney

Today i wastold by an employee of oracle (use to be sun computer systems) that they will be switching to droids for their co. phones. Pretty big endorsement! Big enough to push me over now wil it be the x or the incredible?

Edit: Can someone explain the difference in the description in memory between the two? The x shows 8gb internal vs incredible only 512mb? I understand ram and the sd cards but the other is puzzling?

Edited by unchoney

Guest Shemmy
Edit: Can someone explain the difference in the description in memory between the two? The x shows 8gb internal vs incredible only 512mb? I understand ram and the sd cards but the other is puzzling?

The Droid X is like the Omnia line, in that it has additional storage space. I think the two phones have more or less the same amount of RAM and ROM - the Droid X just comes with a built in SSD drive of some sort that's 8GB in size. I believe you need Froyo or Root in order to use that additional 8GB for program files.

Guest unchoney
The Droid X is like the Omnia line, in that it has additional storage space. I think the two phones have more or less the same amount of RAM and ROM - the Droid X just comes with a built in SSD drive of some sort that's 8GB in size. I believe you need Froyo or Root in order to use that additional 8GB for program files.

Thank you! Made the plunge into droid orderd the x today now the 2 week wait!

Guest kdkinc
Thank you! Made the plunge into droid orderd the x today now the 2 week wait!

You won't regret it. consider yourself assimilated "we are one we are the Borg"

your new DX will most likely have Froyo 2.2 loaded. nice update.

Guest unchoney
You won't regret it. consider yourself assimilated "we are one we are the Borg"

your new DX will most likely have Froyo 2.2 loaded. nice update.

Decided on the x because I realized I use my phone more as a pda(thus bigger is better!) Trying to find a cover/holster combo any ideas? Ideal would be like I seen for the droid 2(hard shell that slides or unsnaps from holster)Do not think I want to carry in my pocket but may try it.DROID DOES!

Edit: Thanks to all for the info and encouragement on both sides!

Edited by unchoney

Again...the incredible also has that 8gb internal partition aswell, pretty much any smartphone released 2010+ will have a minimum of 8gb built in.

Guest spannville
Again...the incredible also has that 8gb internal partition aswell, pretty much any smartphone released 2010+ will have a minimum of 8gb built in.

the droid x has 8gbs of store/ram and a 16gb storage card. the x the android os handles the ram/rom so well you can open at 40 apps with zero lag. the phone is simply a beast!

Guest kdkinc
Decided on the x because I realized I use my phone more as a pda(thus bigger is better!) Trying to find a cover/holster combo any ideas? Ideal would be like I seen for the droid 2(hard shell that slides or unsnaps from holster)Do not think I want to carry in my pocket but may try it.DROID DOES!

Edit: Thanks to all for the info and encouragement on both sides!

Being in construction I needed ultra protection I chose The Nite-ize belt holster plus I use the Body Glove for a case.

Nite-ize is not sleek and there is a size issue even with there large holster (i guess they didn't get the memo about the DX) I had to modify mine.

Now the Body Glove offer great protection easy to get on and off the case split very easily by using a slot to unsnap it +with a quarter if you have to.

It does add a bit of bulk to the phone but the texture is a sure grip rubberized feel. It come with a belt clip that can be taken off so that the phone will fit in a pocket. Your going to know that this phone is in your pocket!! LOL.

I had a silicone slip on protector and the silicone protectors interfere with the camera button and volume button.

Good thing are coming.....

Guest kdkinc
the droid x has 8gbs of store/ram and a 16gb storage card. the x the android os handles the ram/rom so well you can open at 40 apps with zero lag. the phone is simply a beast!

Very true!!

The thing to get used to how the Android maintains the apps that are open.

Just because their open on the phone DOES NOT me their using CPU's or valuable ram space.

You don't need a task manager or app killer the Android does it very well.

Edited by kdkinc

Guest unchoney
Very true!!

The thing to get used to how the Android maintains the apps that are open.

Just because their open on the phone DOES NOT me their using CPU's or valuable ram space.

You don't need a task manager or app killer the Android does it very well.

I had read where people were having a battery drain because of the open apps? Some people recommended the app killer from the market to help close them. what has been your experience?(decided on the shell/holster combo off cheapdroids.com)

Guest kdkinc
I had read where people were having a battery drain because of the open apps? Some people recommended the app killer from the market to help close them. what has been your experience?(decided on the shell/holster combo off cheapdroids.com)

I had a app killer got rid of it. SOMETIMES the app killers can cause problems according to Android experts.

Apps with sit open in your memory but they are NOT a drain or resources remember this ain't no windows machine lol

The apps seat there waiting to be called into action,they are not a drain

The phone runs on a Linux base which does thing different.

Guest kdkinc

Here a a few of the site to gather info on Android plus the DroidX.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=687

http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-xtreme/

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-x/

http://www.androidcentral.com/ (go here then into Forum section)

Hope you enjoy these sites. MoDaCo unfortunately misses out for the US Android market

Guest unchoney
Here a a few of the site to gather info on Android plus the DroidX.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=687

http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-xtreme/

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-x/

http://www.androidcentral.com/ (go here then into Forum section)

Hope you enjoy these sites. MoDaCo unfortunately misses out for the US Android market

Thank you very much, sounds like you may be an upcoming droid cook/expert!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest unchoney

kdkinc.. got the droidx today! earlier than expected! Is there another way to get my contacts transferred over other than syncing with outlook and doing the backup assistant. I am at work and do not have access to sync outlook here.

kdkinc.. got the droidx today! earlier than expected! Is there another way to get my contacts transferred over other than syncing with outlook and doing the backup assistant. I am at work and do not have access to sync outlook here.

Google sync makes it a breeze.

In a week or so you'll be getting a update to Froyo 2.2.

Congratulation on you assimilation. lol

:P :)

Guest amdzero
Google sync makes it a breeze.

In a week or so you'll be getting a update to Froyo 2.2.

Congratulation on you assimilation. lol

:P :)

Droid sounds great and all but this has become a topic best hosted on the Droid Forums.

• 2 weeks later...