DC23 update and CK24 based PDA ROM needed

Guest tedkord

Guest tedkord

I'm giving up on the DG21 update - besides the really annoying backlight timeout issue, I'm getting significantly lower signal (often NO signal), the email has stopped updating unless I do it manually, and it locks up occasionally. This is with 3 different custom ROMs by the chefs here.

Anyway, DC23 was just better for me. So, I want to go back to it. Unfortunately, I seem to have deleted the DC23 updater, and I can't find an original or CK24 based ROM to flash on first. Can anyone help?

Guest amdzero
I'm giving up on the DG21 update - besides the really annoying backlight timeout issue, I'm getting significantly lower signal (often NO signal), the email has stopped updating unless I do it manually, and it locks up occasionally. This is with 3 different custom ROMs by the chefs here.

Anyway, DC23 was just better for me. So, I want to go back to it. Unfortunately, I seem to have deleted the DC23 updater, and I can't find an original or CK24 based ROM to flash on first. Can anyone help?

you can use my v2 rom, are you looking to go back to DC23 officially or just the pda portion?

Guest tedkord
you can use my v2 rom, are you looking to go back to DC23 officially or just the pda portion?

I want to go back completely, CSC and all. I'm tired of dropping calls and not being able to connect to data.

Tonight, I'm going to to flash the PDA back to a DC23 ROM, then redo DG21 (the first one!), then reapply your ZeroLite and see if it's better. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Guest tedkord

Well, reflashing to DG21 had no positive effect. Still can't set the backlight timeout to anything other than 15 seconds and have it stay, and my signal is still dropping to zero all the time.

If anyone has the DC23 updater, I'd really appreciate it.

Guest johncal
Well, reflashing to DG21 had no positive effect. Still can't set the backlight timeout to anything other than 15 seconds and have it stay, and my signal is still dropping to zero all the time.

If anyone has the DC23 updater, I'd really appreciate it.

You might want to see if any 3rd party software is the issue. I've got the DG21 update in mine and everything works flawlessly. My signal is great, battery life is great, etc....... weird problems you're having.

Guest tedkord
You might want to see if any 3rd party software is the issue. I've got the DG21 update in mine and everything works flawlessly. My signal is great, battery life is great, etc....... weird problems you're having.

I thought it might be 3rd party software, so this time I tried the issues without installing anything after a fresh flash. I had trouble even activating my phone via *228. Kept dropping the call. I've never had great reception in my home, but I always got about 1-2 bars. Since flashing to DG21, I get a half bar at best, and sometimes zero signal. Also, the backlight timeout issue was still there after the fresh flash. Set it to 60 seconds, it goes back to 15 seconds. As for battery life, well it's never been great, but I went from 100% to 79% during an hourlong drive, and I only surfed a couple of websites (this one), and set up a few settings that I lost by the fresh flash - nowhere near heavy use. (I was a passenger, not driving)

BTW, by fresh flash, I mean I re-ran the Samsung DG21 updater, not just flashed a custom ROM. It was the full deal. Reminded me of how much TouchWIZ sucks.

Anyhoo, I've found a copy of the DC23 installer archived on Samsung's site. It's downloading now, balls slow. 78% so far...

Now all I need is a CK24 based PDA ROM, or an .nb0 of the original rom from release. Haven't come across one of those yet...

Edited by tedkord

Sounds like maybe it's a hardware issue (the signal issue anyway) Just got my phone back from samsung for a signal issue, it was because I had connected an external antenna which apparently had broken the button inside the port which depresses to disable the internal antenna, end result was the phone barely had a signal at all with the internal antenna. Sent to samsung and they replaced the antenna port and all is well again (free of charge)

I use DG21 based roms and haven't experienced any issues like that, the hardware hiccup was the only issue.

Guest tedkord
Any chance you might be having hardware issues? Maybe you've got a shot at a replacement phone?

No shot. I got this one off Ebay, so I wouldn't have to re-up with Verizon. I'm done next Feb., and I think I'm going with Sprint.

Anyway, I found AMDZero's V.1 ROM, which is a CJ10 based ROM and flashed it, then tried to flash the DC23 updater - it wouldn't let me. Said I already had the latest version on my device. So, looks like I'm stuck with DG21, unless someone has another idea...

Edited by tedkord

Guest amdzero
No shot. I got this one off Ebay, so I wouldn't have to re-up with Verizon. I'm done next Feb., and I think I'm going with Sprint.

Anyway, I found AMDZero's V.1 ROM, which is a CJ10 based ROM and flashed it, then tried to flash the DC23 updater - it wouldn't let me. Said I already had the latest version on my device. So, looks like I'm stuck with DG21, unless someone has another idea...

I've used the Base V2 and downgraded to DC23 (using official), then DG21 (using official) successfully.

Guest tedkord
I've used the Base V2 and downgraded to DC23 (using official), then DG21 (using official) successfully.

OK, now I'm really confused. Here's what I did tonight...

1) Tried flashing to your V2, then the official DC23 - no go, same issue - says I can't downgrade.

2) Flashed to DG21 1.0.2.3, figuring that was why it worked for you - the difference in the CSC allowed it to downgrade.

3) Reflashed your V2 PDA

4) Tried the official DC23 again - still no dice, same result.

5) Feel a sinking, panicky feeling in my gut.

6) Out of sheer desperation, tried to flash your latest DG21 Lite ROM (but with the page pool adjusted down to 8mb). It worked. Huh?

BTW, as an aside, I found out that the ROM tool included in the i920 kitchen was NOT changing the page pool. I loaded the last DG21 I'd tried to adjust, just to check, and it still had 16mb. I deleted it, retried adjusting your DG21 Lite 1.2 down to 8mb, then checked it again. STILL 16mb. So I downloaded the latest one directly from Wes's thread, and tried it, and it worked. That's the one I flashed over 1.0.2.3.

Guest amdzero
OK, now I'm really confused. Here's what I did tonight...

1) Tried flashing to your V2, then the official DC23 - no go, same issue - says I can't downgrade.

2) Flashed to DG21 1.0.2.3, figuring that was why it worked for you - the difference in the CSC allowed it to downgrade.

3) Reflashed your V2 PDA

4) Tried the official DC23 again - still no dice, same result.

5) Feel a sinking, panicky feeling in my gut.

6) Out of sheer desperation, tried to flash your latest DG21 Lite ROM (but with the page pool adjusted down to 8mb). It worked. Huh?

BTW, as an aside, I found out that the ROM tool included in the i920 kitchen was NOT changing the page pool. I loaded the last DG21 I'd tried to adjust, just to check, and it still had 16mb. I deleted it, retried adjusting your DG21 Lite 1.2 down to 8mb, then checked it again. STILL 16mb. So I downloaded the latest one directly from Wes's thread, and tried it, and it worked. That's the one I flashed over 1.0.2.3.

good to know. so are you gtg now?

Guest tedkord
good to know. so are you gtg now?

Dunno. I'm going to bed, I'm too tired to finish setting up. So far, the signal doesn't look any better, but I haven't tested any other issues. I just don't know why I was able to flash a custom ROM over it. I mean, I'm glad as hell I could, but why? And why couldn't I D/G like you could?

EDIT: Quick update. I checked the ROM version info, and I do have the newest CSC, DI16. The PDA version is i920.2.0V.Base DG21

Edited by tedkord

Guest tedkord

Well, the signal isn't any better with 1.0.2.3 on my Omnia II, but the backlight issue seems to be cleared up. That was a major annoyance - I was sick of having to tap the screen every 15 seconds to be able to read a page.

As to the signal, while I'm getting fewer bars pretty much everywhere, using the samsung monitor, I'm still seeing fairly close -dbm values to what I saw with DC23, so Samsung may have changed the bar algorithm. But, it seems to lose signal much more easily. For instance, I charge the phone overnight in a corner of my kitchen, and used to get about 1-1.5 bars there. This morning, when I went to get the phone, it had the airplane icon - no signal at all.

The nice thing is, now that I'm using the Lite ROM with modified Page Pool (8mb), if I stop Today loading, disable the samsung dialer and the WinMo start menu, I'm running about 70mb free fully booted with SPB MS3.5 - MSkip's ProPlus Freedom Droid. Prior, I settled out at about 54mb free, and within half an hour was down to 49-50mb.

I'm still curious why I was able to flash a custom DG21 ROM over 1.0.2.3, while AMDZero had no success. Something is off, here.

Edited by tedkord

Guest amdzero
Well, the signal isn't any better with 1.0.2.3 on my Omnia II, but the backlight issue seems to be cleared up. That was a major annoyance - I was sick of having to tap the screen every 15 seconds to be able to read a page.

As to the signal, while I'm getting fewer bars pretty much everywhere, using the samsung monitor, I'm still seeing fairly close -dbm values to what I saw with DC23, so Samsung may have changed the bar algorithm. But, it seems to lose signal much more easily. For instance, I charge the phone overnight in a corner of my kitchen, and used to get about 1-1.5 bars there. This morning, when I went to get the phone, it had the airplane icon - no signal at all.

The nice thing is, now that I'm using the Lite ROM with modified Page Pool (8mb), if I stop Today loading, disable the samsung dialer and the WinMo start menu, I'm running about 78mb free fully booted with SPB MS3.5 - MSkip's ProPlus Freedom Droid. Prior, I settled out at about 54mb free, and within half an hour was down to 49-50mb.

I'm still curious why I was able to flash a custom DG21 ROM over 1.0.2.3, while AMDZero had no success. Something is off, here.

Maybe I should try again, but after 5 flashes I was done. This is exactly why I didn't want to say definitively that the latest official Samsung Update wouldn't allow custom roms.

After a few days of test my next ZeroSense rom I'll probably re-flash the latest DG21 1.0.2.3 and retry to use one of my custom roms.

Guest tedkord

I spoke too soon. The backlight issue is alive and well. I'm thinking its got to do with S2U2, as I'd originally forgotten to install it. I only use it for caller ID.

Regardless, I found a small .exe written for winmo 6 that takes care off the issue. Just put a shortcut to it in startup with the value you want in seconds passed as command line, and it sets the backlight timeout to whatever you want at each soft reset. Problem solved.

Edited by tedkord

Guest amdzero
I spoke too soon. The backlight issue is alive and well. I'm thinking its got to do with S2U2, as I'd originally forgotten to install it. I only use it for caller ID.

Regardless, I found a small .exe written for winmo 6 that takes care off the issue. Just put a shortcut to it in startup with the value you want in seconds passed as command line, and it sets the backlight timeout to whatever you want at each soft reset. Problem solved.

S2U2 has a default screen timeout of 17 seconds. You can change it in S2U2 settings. But it sounds like your gtg as far as the backlight issue.

Guest tedkord
S2U2 has a default screen timeout of 17 seconds. You can change it in S2U2 settings. But it sounds like your gtg as far as the backlight issue.

I see. I turn off everything except caller ID on S2U2, so I figured those timeouts wouldn't apply. Guess they do. Oh well, as you say, I've found a workaround and am GTG.