Android on Omnia II - i8000 (18.04.2011)

Guest almar

It is still SLOOOOOOWWWWWW.

When I boot up the first things to appear on screen is about 5 warnings saying something is not responding.

the bottom and top drop down menus are not smooth

wifi works but slooooowwww, takes forever to use the market, I can't even get Google maps because it simply fails to load that page.

market is soooooo slooooowwwww that it could freeze and restart at times.

the drivers are installed but I don't feel any difference.

Come on, what is the point of your reply?

Can't you read? This is a BETA version, stop crying about how slow it is running or how many freezes you get.. :lol:

If it's that slow it must be because you've done something wrong because I followed all steps on post #8 and it is working pretty well

Ocasionally you will get some error/freezing but that is normal since the project is still in development

Get used to it or wait for the final version..

Anyway..

Just want to say many thanks for all people involved on this project, you guys have done an awesome job, seriously

I can't believe how good this is, even in beta stage, a lot of stuff is working, apps, games, it is amazing

I am really looking forward to see where this project goes in the future :)

Thanks a lot, you guys rock!!!!

Guest meimeifung
It is still SLOOOOOOWWWWWW.

When I boot up the first things to appear on screen is about 5 warnings saying something is not responding.

the bottom and top drop down menus are not smooth

wifi works but slooooowwww, takes forever to use the market, I can't even get Google maps because it simply fails to load that page.

market is soooooo slooooowwwww that it could freeze and restart at times.

the drivers are installed but I don't feel any difference.

Did you install on non-SDHC card? I switched to 1GB card instead of 8GB and it is way faster (no more "Force Stop/Wait"). I guess the SDHC driver may be buggy?

Try to install it on my storage. It's way faster than on sd card. dunno why :lol:

And don't forget to patch zImage.

Sandor(bsbsbs) mentioned, that My Storage is about 5 times faster than any SD card. That is the reason why I tried to install to My Storage. :)

Edited by Neio

Guest quato7906

I just modified ext2.tar.gz : removed the ringtones from system/media/audio/ringtones and the phone seems is faster than before,I also injected 3 own .ogg ringtones ,also injected the 3d drivers from o2bupdate + working GMAIL app :lol:,now I am flashing the PHONE.BIN in WinMo that seem to be a JA1 version inside the ext2.tar.gz and will try the battery % would be correct after ....

Edited by quato7906

Guest Bruno Luiz

I use VIVO network here and it wasn't recognized by Android. Because of this I can't import my SIM contacts and maybe this is the cause of Market error. The Market app shows this message:

"A server error has occurred. Retry, or cancel and return to the previous screen."

(Using WI-Fi network)

And finally the Android freezes sometimes, mainly when opening one animation. I think this problem is from 2D/3D driver =S

Even with this small issues, this system is perfect for Omnia. I can't wait for the second beta.

PS.: If you need a web site, I can build one simple design and maybe I can take one server at Locaweb

Guest unh1nged
Did you install on non-SDHC card? I switched to 1GB card instead of 8GB and it is way faster (no more "Force Stop/Wait"). I guess the SDHC driver may be buggy?

Not to mention SD cards come in different classes (speed/bandwidths) Class 2, 4 and 6. Class 6 being fastest. If you have lower classed SD card that certainly won't help as well.

(To find out what class your card is, take it out and look at it, it should say Class 2, 4 or 6 on it with a circle around the number. If it doesnt say that anywhere on the card, my experience is it is a generic card Class 1 or 2.)

Edited by unh1nged

Guest emptyara
it works for me and i figured out why most of them cannot get it started.

the edit line from your tutorial was wrong.

change it to Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p6 init=/init"

TRUST ME I DID IT. IT works..

I tried both Set CMDLINE (mmcblk0p6 and mmcblkop5) but still can make it run..

when i use mmcblk0p6, i face with kernel panic.. but with mmcblk0p5 it like never ending booting.. I saw it show "booting/porting beyond device" -sorry cant really remember..

is there any solution for this?

when i use mmcblk0p6, i face with kernel panic.. but with mmcblk0p5 it like never ending booting.. I saw it show "booting/porting beyond device" -sorry cant really remember..

mmcblk0p6 is for My Storage, p5 is not good(That's the FAT part of MyStorage). mmcblk1p2 or p6 is for SD usage.

Edited by Neio

Guest ErnstJanF

Go into disk manager on windows -> delete all partitions on the SD card.

(If this doesn't work, use diskpart (cmd tool) to remove them.

After you removed every partition, format as FAT (just normal FAT) and try to install again. If that doesn't work, try FAT32 or FAT16 whatever you like :lol:

Guest ASMARTTECHIE

ARE GOOGLE SERVERS DOWN or have they blacklisted our phones.. lol

everything was smooth till i got some error and i clean reinstalled whole thing..

now i'm unable to sign into google accounts at start.. it says CANNOT CONNECT TO RELIABLE GOOGLE SERVERS..

any solutions..? thnxx

Guest forajido
OK,here is what I did:

1.Install VMWare Player

2.Download UBUNTU 32 bit version from here http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

3.Install Ubuntu

4.Download & install MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition

5.Take your phone ,go to Samsung Settings USB settings and set USB Connection to My Storage

6.Back up your My Storage to Storage Card (or you will loose all data there)

7.Connect the phone to the PC-> it will connect like mass storage device

8.Open MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition,select the Storage device Samsung and delete the partition->then click create and create 1020 Mb(in my case of 2 GB Internal Storage) FAT 32 partition(give it a name like disk0 without space),there will be left about 1 GB unallocated storage->select right button,click create partition format EXT2 with a name like disk and select APPLY!->your My Storage will be formatted!!!you will see only 1 GB Storage device in My Computer in Windows.

9.Copy the entire beta1024 folder content on the root of the storage device in Windows! ,not the folder,the content with Android files: ext2.targz default.txt zImage o2beta folder Haret.exe and o2bupdate.tar.gz

10.Disconnect phone & launch VMWare Player and run UBUNTU.

11.connect the phone, it will be recognized like android storage device.

12.In the Ubuntu go to Applications-Accessories run Terminal,--> write down this:

sudo cp /media/disk0/ext2.tar.gz /media/disk/ and wait untill finishes

after that write:

cd /media/disk/ tehre will be a line like : cd /media/disk$

you must write down this after this line:

sudo tar xzvf ext2.tar.gz -C /media/disk

And you go,all the content of ext2.tar.gz will be extracted to disk (in this case Android partition) -> at the end of extraction unplug the phone from PC

13.Turn of the VMWare Plater & Ubuntu, plug the USB with the phone to PC again and edit the line:

Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 init=/init" to this:

Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p5 init=/init"[/b and save it

14.Unplug phone -> and run Haret exe from the root of My Storage not from inside o2beta folder

And you are ready to test :lol:

sorry I dont have time post guide with pictures because haven't much time may be someone can make it but it is already posted youtube video how is done here:

http://www.modaco.com/content-page/322429/...8000/page/700/#

Regards & thanks to the developres provided this great work to all us!

Ekremsky

Installed and working much faster and better than in SD

Thank you

Guest thew0lf
This is not a good idea, because if something may go wrong with your WinMo, you cannot do a hardreset, because the image needed to it, stored on a hidden partition on My Storage.

In fact, I did it the right way, as I was aware of that. So I left the other hidden partitions in place, and I only formated the existing visible FAT32 partition to ext3, leaving the partition table intact (this way, the partition numbers stay the same).

Guest n4m3less
In fact, I did it the right way, as I was aware of that. So I left the other hidden partitions in place, and I only formated the existing visible FAT32 partition to ext3, leaving the partition table intact (this way, the partition numbers stay the same).

How recreate hidden partiton of 500 mb in My storage?I deleted it to restore the MyStorage, which had been lost

Guest voyteckst
How recreate hidden partiton of 500 mb in My storage?I deleted it to restore the MyStorage, which had been lost

Probably that's why beta installation is on SD ;-)

Is this hidden partition really needed (assuming that one don't need to do hard reset)?

Edited by voyteckst

Guest alaamac199
Probably that's why beta installation is on SD ;-)

Is this hidden partition really needed (assuming that one don't need to do hard reset)?

are you totally sure that to perform a Hardrest you need this hidden partition ??

because at first when I got my device it didn't have one .. and I used to hardreset problem-free !!

I do have it now (as rapid81 referred , by flashing *.mst file to device) ..

but I still beleive that we can perform hardrest without it problem-free .. because if hardrest depends on it ,then you will be back to the official Rom that was first installed on your device when you bought it (which doesn't happen when you hardreset) ..

Edited by alaamac199

Guest voyteckst
are you totally sure that to perform a Hardrest you need this hidden partition ??

because at first when I got my device it didn't have one .. and I used to hardreset problem-free !!

I do have it now (as rapid81 referred , by flashing *.mst file to device) ..

but I still beleive that we can perform hardrest without it problem-free .. because if hardrest depends on it ,then you will be back to the official Rom that was first installed on your device when you bought it (which doesn't happen when you hardreset) ..

Just repeating after Rapid81: http://www.modaco.com/content-page/322429/...0/#entry1573244

Guest aafi-rocks
I have tried so many live wallpapers but none of them worked I mean there is no option for live wallpaper when I wanna set wallpaper.

I just wanna know how to enable them.

Install the attached apk files.. LiveWallpapersPicker.apk (I've zipped them)

after installing the apk, now I get the option for live wallpaper, but when i select a live wallpaper I get error "The application Live Wallpaper picker (process android.process.acore) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

May be coz of 2d/3d libs...

any clues.. anyone..

Live_wallpaper.zip

Edited by aafi-rocks

Guest jfive.5

excellent on the beta :lol:

1) make sure your sd card is fat and not fat32

2) Market place doesnt work. it keeps saying server error and yet my apad has no problems (running android 2.1 mind you)

Does anyone else have problems? im in New Zealand does that make a difference?