Now I'm really confused. If I also install ActiveSync, this installs the Samsung MITs driver, so I end up stuck in the same loop as with W7 - it won't let me update the driver to CDMA because it says it cannot find a better match than the currently installed MITs driver.
if you are using XP, then you dont need to update the driver.
1. install activesync
2. install samsung_ CDMA_driver from rapid's thread (make sure you download appropriate driver according to your PC's OS version)
3. power off your phone then connect it to your PC with USB cable (the one comes with your phone's original box)
4. once the installation of the phone's driver done, unplug it.
4.1 reboot your PC
5. open Octan and select PDA.nb0 only, then click on detect botton,
6. plug USB cable into your PC (has to be direct connection, USB hub will not work, it is better to disconnect all your USB ports, only leave the mouse)
7. power off the phone, then plug in the USB, wait til the "start downloading" botton is highlighted
8. click "start downloading" only once, then wait for it's done, your phone will start 2 times, dont touch it until the 2nd boot complete.