Can't update USB driver in Windows 7

Guest Scaramango

Guest Scaramango

I've followed the 'guide' to flashing ROMs with Windows 7 :

http://www.modaco.com/content/i8000-omnia-...h-on-windows-7/

But cannot force Windows 7 to update the Samsung driver. It never attempts to install the driver I'm choosing, it always states that the best driver is already installed :

Capture.PNG

I've tried uninstalling the existing MITs driver, including deleting the driver software. But as soon as I connect my phone, the MITs driver is always automatically installed.

Any ideas what to do ?

Thanks in advance...

It could be frustrating if one does not know what to do or it is not being done properly. Remember to turn off the driver signature enforcement of you windows 7 as your pc is booting up and ensure you choose the correct bit (whether x86 or x64) of your operating system so you can download the correct driver from the link provided to you by speedfrod/Lancez. All that you need to know is in that link. Good luck.

Guest Scaramango
It could be frustrating if one does not know what to do or it is not being done properly. Remember to turn off the driver signature enforcement of you windows 7 as your pc is booting up and ensure you choose the correct bit (whether x86 or x64) of your operating system so you can download the correct driver from the link provided to you by speedfrod/Lancez. All that you need to know is in that link. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies.

I have already watched that movie, and read instructions, but everything seemed to suggest disabling driver signature enforcement was for W7 X64. I'm running 32 Bit.

I'll give it a try.

Guest kimitza

you have to disable driver signature on both x86 and x64...

the trick is this... after windows installed the driver, go to control panel-system-device manager,open mobile devices, right click on samsung mit usb, select uninstall(delete driver). After that, right click on any device, scan for hardware changes. A pop-up will appear in tray, telling you new drives have been found. here you have to move fast. open that pop-up and press on "skip ...."can't remember the whole line now. This will disable the autoupdate for that driver. Look on device manager, you will have GT-I8000 marked with yellow sign. Right click on it,choose update driver, manually and browse to the folder you have stored the modified one B). Another window will appear, telling you it's an unsigned driver. choose install this driver anyway..and that's it....it takes about 3 minutes :)...good luck

Edited by kimitza

Guest Scaramango
you have to disable driver signature on both x86 and x64...

the trick is this... after windows installed the driver, go to control panel-system-device manager,open mobile devices, right click on samsung mit usb, select uninstall(delete driver). After that, right click on any device, scan for hardware changes. A pop-up will appear in tray, telling you new drives have been found. here you have to move fast. open that pop-up and press on "skip ...."can't remember the whole line now. This will disable the autoupdate for that driver. Look on device manager, you will have GT-I8000 marked with yellow sign. Right click on it,choose update driver, manually and browse to the folder you have stored the modified one B). Another window will appear, telling you it's an unsigned driver. choose install this driver anyway..and that's it....it takes about 3 minutes :)...good luck

Thanks - I have done all this, following your instructions word for word. After selecting the 'skip searching windows updates for driver' and pointing to my WinXP_32 driver, it looks like it's going to allow it, but then retreats back to the Samsung MITs driver. The following screenshot shows how it says it's skipping Windows Update, but also that it's seaching Windows Update !

capture.gif

The only part of this I can't say for sure has been done correctly is the disabling of driver signature in the F8 boot options. I highlight the row that states this action, and I only have the choice to select it by pressing 'Enter'. When I do this, the system carries on booting to the desktop. So there's not really any confirmation that it's accepted this change. I'd have hoped for a menu where the status is displayed, either yes or no, toggled by the space bar, much like within the BIOS menu. So perhaps I'm not actually disabling the driver signature, though if that's the case, there really isn't much more I can do.

It's all very odd - I might just try doing all this on an XP machine instead.

Guest Scaramango

It's not my day...

I can't get my XP SP3 machine to install the Samsung CDMA driver.

I connect the phone, it tries to install it, and asks me for a driver. I point it at the Samsung_CDMA_modem_4_1_.34 directory but it states that it cannot find the necessary software. I've also tried running the setup.exe within the Samsung_CDMA_modem_4_1_.34 directory. I've also tried pointing the installation wizard to C:/Program Files/Samsung/Samsung CDMA Modem (this is where setup.exe places the driver).

I'm following these instructions (and there are many other websites giving the same info): http://www.modaco.com/content/i8000-omnia-...g-rom-on-i8000/

I've downloaded Samsung_CDMA_modem_4_1_.34.zip many times, from different locations.

I'm failing miserably at the first hurdle. This is all getting weird, and I've not even flashed the ROM yet !

Out of curiosity, is it 'safe' for me to try this on another XP machine, this time running SP1 ?

for CDMA driver (USB) download it, unrar it, open folder, double click on the setup.exe in the folder and follow onscreen guide.

here is what you should do on XP:

1. install active sync from microsoft

2. install samsung CDMA driver (see above for instruction)

3. turn off your phone then connect it to your PC via original USB cable, wait til installation is done. then disconnect your phone

4. reboot your PC

after these steps, you shouldn't have problem for flashing on XP.

Guest Scaramango
for CDMA driver (USB) download it, unrar it, open folder, double click on the setup.exe in the folder and follow onscreen guide.

3. turn off your phone then connect it to your PC via original USB cable, wait til installation is done. then disconnect your phone

4. reboot your PC

You're talking about 'unraring' the CDMA driver, but the only one I've seen is a .zip file. Have I not got the right one then ?

When I've double clicked on setup.exe there's never been an onscreen guide. All I see is a message saying that it's installed OK.

Do you think the problem is that I don't have ActiveSync installed ? I'd not read anywhere before that I needed this...

So is XP SP3 mandatory, or could I use XP SP1 ?

Guest Scaramango

4. reboot your PC

Now I'm really confused. If I also install ActiveSync, this installs the Samsung MITs driver, so I end up stuck in the same loop as with W7 - it won't let me update the driver to CDMA because it says it cannot find a better match than the currently installed MITs driver.

B)

Now I'm really confused. If I also install ActiveSync, this installs the Samsung MITs driver, so I end up stuck in the same loop as with W7 - it won't let me update the driver to CDMA because it says it cannot find a better match than the currently installed MITs driver.

B)

if you are using XP, then you dont need to update the driver.

on XP

1. install activesync

2. install samsung_ CDMA_driver from rapid's thread (make sure you download appropriate driver according to your PC's OS version)

3. power off your phone then connect it to your PC with USB cable (the one comes with your phone's original box)

4. once the installation of the phone's driver done, unplug it.

4.1 reboot your PC

5. open Octan and select PDA.nb0 only, then click on detect botton,

6. plug USB cable into your PC (has to be direct connection, USB hub will not work, it is better to disconnect all your USB ports, only leave the mouse)

7. power off the phone, then plug in the USB, wait til the "start downloading" botton is highlighted

8. click "start downloading" only once, then wait for it's done, your phone will start 2 times, dont touch it until the 2nd boot complete.

Guest Scaramango
if you are using XP, then you dont need to update the driver.

on XP

1. install activesync

2. install samsung_ CDMA_driver from rapid's thread (make sure you download appropriate driver according to your PC's OS version)

3. power off your phone then connect it to your PC with USB cable (the one comes with your phone's original box)

4. once the installation of the phone's driver done, unplug it.

4.1 reboot your PC

5. open Octan and select PDA.nb0 only, then click on detect botton,

6. plug USB cable into your PC (has to be direct connection, USB hub will not work, it is better to disconnect all your USB ports, only leave the mouse)

7. power off the phone, then plug in the USB, wait til the "start downloading" botton is highlighted

8. click "start downloading" only once, then wait for it's done, your phone will start 2 times, dont touch it until the 2nd boot complete.

Thanks Lancez - that worked perfectly. Thanks for taking the time to list all the instructions clearly. I think the trick here (for XP) is item 4.1 - I really didn't know that I needed to do this until you said.

Out of curiosity, why do you only suggest uploading a new PDA file, and not the CSC too ? I've just flashed with twu2's I8000NXXJG2 LITE 20100902, and on his post, he does also list a CSC.

Anyway, it seems to have worked fine without me renewing my CSC (I'm still on XEUII9). B)

Thanks Lancez - that worked perfectly. Thanks for taking the time to list all the instructions clearly. I think the trick here (for XP) is item 4.1 - I really didn't know that I needed to do this until you said.

Out of curiosity, why do you only suggest uploading a new PDA file, and not the CSC too ? I've just flashed with twu2's I8000NXXJG2 LITE 20100902, and on his post, he does also list a CSC.

Anyway, it seems to have worked fine without me renewing my CSC (I'm still on XEUII9). :)

you can flash CSC too if you prefer, coz CSC contains your carrier's internet and mms settings along with other minor stuff such as boot screen, etc. but looks like your old CSC is XEU, so you can choose the XEU code from new CSC as well.

glad i can help, have fun B)

Guest Scaramango
you can flash CSC too if you prefer, coz CSC contains your carrier's internet and mms settings along with other minor stuff such as boot screen, etc. but looks like your old CSC is XEU, so you can choose the XEU code from new CSC as well.

glad i can help, have fun :)

Cheers !

I was going to try your ROMs, but to be honest, twu2's post seemed clearer, in terms of downloading the necessary files (I was probably being impatient). Otherwise, I wouldn't have known which to choose from. In fact, it's not obvious where all the available ROMs are anyway, and which are best...but seek and ye shall find....

Hopefully, I'll start loving my i8000 again. I was considering getting rid of it, and paying for an early phone upgrade from Orange. I'd even considered WM7 ! ( B) ) or switching to Android or Symbian - basically, any OS that can support Styletap's Palm emulator (I'm an ex-Palm junkie - Sony UK-50 & Treos).

But now the i8000 feels quick and powerful. Jeez...Microsoft and Samsung owe you guys big time...if it wasn't for you, I'd lose all faith in these companies.