So when is the next update coming then Paul?!

Guest swarrans

Guest English Haze
I was begining to wonder if Advent (on there recent visit) may have asked you to delay your efforts regarding the USB Host, maybe until after the Dock goes on sale.

Nice to see there are people out there who are as cynical as I am :)

Awwwww that's good to hear (not the flu part) Hope your back to tip top health for the xmas festivities ;)

I was begining to wonder if Advent (on there recent visit) may have asked you to delay your efforts regarding the USB Host, maybe until after the Dock goes on sale. Obviously this mod will effect the Dock popularity as I personally don't see any use for it now I have Host enabled.

Hah, nice conspiracy theory but no. :)

P

Good lad, I'll be un wrapping mine Xmas morning and getting into all sorts of bother seeing I have a win 7 64 bit here!!!!

Only install the drivers from Pauls pack. The driver problem is due to the fact that people install the Advent drivers first. Pauls drivers can also do the Advent flashing procedure.

The Dock will be powered? So will run all HDD, The usb host does not work with my WD passport drive, which is what I modded it for :)

This is probably a limitation of the USB port as the Passport states "An optional cable is available for the few computers that limit power from the USB port." My guess is that the Vega doesn't put enough power via the USB port to power the Passport drive.

Only install the drivers from Pauls pack. The driver problem is due to the fact that people install the Advent drivers first. Pauls drivers can also do the Advent flashing procedure.

Not sure if this is true. Looking at Pauls driver it only installs the Google ADB interface and not the driver necessary for the flashing process. You might try installing Pauls driver first, followed by the one from Advent.

Guest rvdgeer
Not sure if this is true. Looking at Pauls driver it only installs the Google ADB interface and not the driver necessary for the flashing process. You might try installing Pauls driver first, followed by the one from Advent.

Yeah, was wondering about this...

Would be great if we wouldn't have to change drivers for each new ROM and each new ROM Add-On...

Guest What If
The Dock will be powered? So will run all HDD, The usb host does not work with my WD passport drive, which is what I modded it for :)

I found with my external drive that if I had the Vega plugged into the mains then the drive worked.

If the vega wasn't plugged in and running from the battery then there wasn't enough power to run the drive.

Guest warriorscot

Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well Paul. The Flu is always a pain in the backside this time of year.

The dock is something that will be nice for lots of reasons not just connecting USB. To be honest so far I haven't really felt the need for USB host I hardly ever use a usb drive these days on any system its all over the network now. Will nice to get a better solution for switching between host and slave as the work around is great but hardly the most elegant of solution I understand why the manufacturers are going one way or the other.

I'm pretty happy with the R5 right now. What I most want to know is what the timescale for when Advent are going to be rolling out updates and whats going to be in them. I know they aren't the biggest team of developers but they are getting paid for it and there is more than one of them unlike Paul(Unless someone wants to clone him). I don't think its too unreasonable for them to let people know at least a rough roadmap of what they are working on and where they want to end up.

Guest griff_dai

I asked that a few days ago, someone said to use the advent drivers first.... I will use Pauls though.

I will more than likely have to take the Vega to my mates as I can see me getting in to all sorts of bother with this. However I have flashed stuff before and only ever bricked a device once (Touch diamond)......

Guest warriorscot
I will more than likely have to take the Vega to my mates as I can see me getting in to all sorts of bother with this. However I have flashed stuff before and only ever bricked a device once (Touch diamond)......

Just use VMware player and install WinXP or Linux on it. Seriously its stupidly easy to do and the only requirement for your PC to run it is some free space on your hard drive and a little bit of RAM. People seem a bit put off but Virtual machines for some reason but they are really easy to use(much easier than dual booting) and you don't have to go borrowing computers or raking the attic for old machines.

Guest griff_dai
Just use VMware player and install WinXP or Linux on it. Seriously its stupidly easy to do and the only requirement for your PC to run it is some free space on your hard drive and a little bit of RAM. People seem a bit put off but Virtual machines for some reason but they are really easy to use(much easier than dual booting) and you don't have to go borrowing computers or raking the attic for old machines.

can you add that to the new step by step guide that started today?

Guest wobblydoggy

Don't see what all the bother is about Win 7 x64, I use this and found no problems with the installation of drivers. I just uninstalled the USB mass storage device in device manager and plugged it in, "nVidia Harmony" showed up in device manager so just updated the drivers with pauls (after realising they needed unzipping again) all was fine :)

Don't see what all the bother is about Win 7 x64, I use this and found no problems with the installation of drivers. I just uninstalled the USB mass storage device in device manager and plugged it in, "nVidia Harmony" showed up in device manager so just updated the drivers with pauls (after realising they needed unzipping again) all was fine :)

It's finding the right combinations. Win7 seems to think the Advent drivers are the latest and greatest so you have to explicitly point the drivers at the ones Paul (actually Google) provide. See my guide here if you are having difficulty: http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...-wrong-win7-64/

Looking at the drivers from Advent, it doesn't describe the chip as an "nVidia Harmony" so your computer must have picked this driver up from the net

Guest Touch Graphite
Ok, I must have misread it...

While waiting for some more greatness from Paul I'm trying to write a beginners guide to upgrading to the latest official firmware...

I know there are a few guides available, but I intend to start a new topic for this and maintaining it for a while, updating it with user suggestions...

Maybe when it's proven it's worth, Paul will pin it or will add it to the wiki...

Wouldn't mind giving you a hand with this, waiting to flash mine when I get it on Saturday!

Guest marmankites
I found with my external drive that if I had the Vega plugged into the mains then the drive worked.

If the vega wasn't plugged in and running from the battery then there wasn't enough power to run the drive.

Went out and bought a USB powered hub and still not working gggrrrr

Guest warriorscot

Some drives need extra power even when connected to a fully power USB port. Depends on the drives power requirements and some won't draw any power off the USB even if there is enough.