28/Mar [GUIDE] Update to Unlock 256MB Devices to 512MB [GEN1]

Guest StevenHarperUK

forget that, sorry, it just disconnected. it doesn't totally fix the wifi disconnection problem, but it does seem to improve it a little.

Hmmm, wondering if I should still be a guinea pig then... I have some time to spare today just in case things go pear shaped though!

For anyone interested, I have a Hungarian 512MB OLED Orange San Francisco! It remained network unlocked, going to flash clockwork and recover my back-up to desoftened r0.2 and see how the WiFi works

Guest El Nino9
Applying this update WILL re-lock your device and you will have to re-generate / enter the unlock code (based on the devices IMEI)

hey steven, it did not relock my device, i have tried 4 UK sims from different networks and 1 sim card from east africa, they do no request the phone to be unlocked again.

i just updated it for the heck of it lol, i didn't even know there was only 256mb on the blade but 512mb, for that price.. bargin

this phone just gets better and better. only use my desire HD for calls and video's that require flash (and some games with higher requirements) but seem to be on the blade more. battery life lasts a whole day for me even with wifi and 3g.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Ah... perhaps it only removes the lock when the partitions (including PERSIST) are changed? So only on one of those Blades that have been setup as 256MB?

It's possible. I think I will update the warning to that it MAY re-lock the device (sim lock)

Ah... perhaps it only removes the lock when the partitions (including PERSIST) are changed? So only on one of those Blades that have been setup as 256MB?

it is not so simple, it didn't relock my 256 meg Hungarian blade.

Guest Anjan Tek

I have the Dell XCD35 which is the rebranded ZTE Blade (TFT) in India.

I loaded the 2.5.1.8 ClockworkMod and Paul's MoDaCo alpha 3 custom ROM.

I checked the amount of RAM on the phone only after flashing the custom ROM. The Task Manager shows 416 MB total system memory. That should mean that I do not need the update from this thread.

I am surprised that it shows 416MB, because Dell's official page shows the phone's specs as having 256 MB RAM.

Guest Sebastian404

I checked the amount of RAM on the phone only after flashing the custom ROM. The Task Manager shows 416 MB total system memory. That should mean that I do not need the update from this thread.

I am surprised that it shows 416MB, because Dell's official page shows the phone's specs as having 256 MB RAM.

WOAH!

you have the XCD35 and you did'nt dump the firmware? :(

WOAH!

Great eh, just wait for the "my phone came with gingerbread but I prefered the name froyo so I installed the chinese alpha rom instead, what's next?"

WOAH!

Too bad there isn't a check on first time downloaders of fastboot, clockwork, roms etc that prompts for device and only allows downloads to those who have a device with the stock firmware already dumped.

Or maybe a sticky requesting such from the devices coming to market ;)

Guest StevenHarperUK

Did you backup in clockwork (the original Rom)?

Guest StevenHarperUK
feelin better now?

Yeh thanks :(

No one would ever need to downgrade, unless their operate (county of origin) didn't allow them to and they needed to do a warranty return.

However most companies would never notice this.

A simple Flash of the stock ROM is more than enough to bamboozal them.

lots of love

Steve

Guest kidimon

well my question was about, why these phones RAM was locked to 256 mb in the first place? why would manufacter/retailer wanna lock RAM? by that decreasing phone performance.

Guest StevenHarperUK
well my question was about, why these phones RAM was locked to 256 mb in the first place? why would manufacter/retailer wanna lock RAM? by that decreasing phone performance.

Ah I miss read : 1000 apologies.

The reason will probably never be known:

Maybe it was an error on a ZTE developers behalf

Maybe it was a request - so that the ZTE device didn't make the operators other devices look crap.

Guest markusj
Ah I miss read : 1000 apologies.

The reason will probably never be known:

Maybe it was an error on a ZTE developers behalf

Maybe it was a request - so that the ZTE device didn't make the operators other devices look crap.

1st one is forgivable, but if the 2nd one is true... Consumer society can do me a favour.

Guest Anjan Tek
WOAH!

Great eh, just wait for the "my phone came with gingerbread but I prefered the name froyo so I installed the chinese alpha rom instead, what's next?"

Too bad there isn't a check on first time downloaders of fastboot, clockwork, roms etc that prompts for device and only allows downloads to those who have a device with the stock firmware already dumped.

Or maybe a sticky requesting such from the devices coming to market ;)

Did you backup in clockwork (the original Rom)?

Guys, of course I made a nandroid backup of the original ROM (using clockwork).

I am sorry, I did not know that there were so many guys waiting to get this ROM.

The original ROM is Eclair and not Gingerbread as rjm2k mentioned. (I know he was just being sarcastic ;) )

Should I upload the ROM to any one of the file hosting sites or is there some specific place where you guys want me to upload?

Edited by Anjan Tek

Guys, of course I made a nandroid backup of the original ROM (using clockwork).

I am sorry, I did not know that there were so many guys waiting to get this ROM.

The original ROM is Eclair and not Gingerbread as jt_mcg mentioned. (I know he was just being sarcastic :( )

Should I upload the ROM to any one of the file hosting sites or is there some specific place where you guys want me to upload?

Yes please upload to a host, I'm sure it will be copied elsewhere pretty soon.

We need newer versions of Eclair to see what fixes/improvements have been added so they can be added to ROMS based on 2.1 .

Do you know if Dell have said they intend to upgrade your phone to 2.2?

Guest Anjan Tek

I decided to upload it to Google Docs. I find the usual file hosting sites unbearably slow for uploading and downloading, especially for "free" users. I would expect Google's servers to be able to handle the load.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B_Ud3T9Vee...uthkey=CJqh9t8B

If there is any problem with uploading to Google Docs (maybe, some rule I am breaking?), please tell me.

Please note that the file I have uploaded contains the full contents of the memory card after taking the nandroid backup. It is NOT just the ROM folder.

You may notice that the timestamps of the ROM files show up as 2009 November. This is because, when the nandroid backup was made yesterday, the date was still the factory-set date on the phone. I hadn't changed it. I assure you that the ROM backup was taken yesterday.

I decided to upload it to Google Docs. I find the usual file hosting sites unbearably slow for uploading and downloading, especially for "free" users. I would expect Google's servers to be able to handle the load.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B_Ud3T9Vee...uthkey=CJqh9t8B

If there is any problem with uploading to Google Docs (maybe, some rule I am breaking?), please tell me.

Please note that the file I have uploaded contains the full contents of the memory card after taking the nandroid backup. It is NOT just the ROM folder.

You may notice that the timestamps of the ROM files show up as 2009 November. This is because, when the nandroid backup was made yesterday, the date was still the factory-set date on the phone. I hadn't changed it. I assure you that the ROM backup was taken yesterday.

Thanksm, did a quick restore and it worked out of the box, wifi is ok, voice seems ok but couldn't get data maybe due to MTU or similar difference as found in other roms. very little dell customisation (just a dell icon as far as I could see).

Guest StevenHarperUK
Thanksm, did a quick restore and it worked out of the box, wifi is ok, voice seems ok but couldn't get data maybe due to MTU or similar difference as found in other roms. very little dell customisation (just a dell icon as far as I could see).

Have you got the build info to post?