28/Mar [GUIDE] Update to Unlock 256MB Devices to 512MB [GEN1]

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest StevenHarperUK

Update to Unlock 256MB Devices to 512MB

STOP
currently this page is for ZTE-BLADE devices that have the old style memory layout [GEN1] blades.

The [GEN2] Thread for installing ROMS is here :
http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...or-gen2-device/

This means that [GEN1] BLADES that use the baseband of
0x02A00000
and they can use anything on this page

If your device has the new [GEN2] layout its baseband will be
0x02600000
- and you
MUST NOT
install anything from this page

Currently Swedish Comviq phones and also Bulgarian phones (that are 2.2)
MAY
be GEN2

How to find out what BLADE you have (GEN1 or GEN2)

You need tom install this app
Ask Mr Pigfish

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.apedroid.pigfish

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...ask-mr-pigfish/

(RAR file attached to first post of above link - for devices that don't have the Market)

When you run the APP the first line will be

Mr.Pigfish says you have a Gen1 model

or

Mr.Pigfish says you have a Gen2 model

If it's not Gen1 then STOP HERE! - INSTALLING A GEN1 ROM ON A GEN2 DEVICE WILL BRICK IT

This Guide will NOT work on ZTE Joe (Vodaphone 845) or the ZTE V9 or the ZTE Racer or the V880 - You may BRICK your device if you try using the files mentioned in this post.

This update will change ALL the partitions on your phone.

It will be exactly like a Hungarian phone right out of the box.

It uses the Total Phone Transfer (TPT) system.

After you have done this you can apply ANY custom ROM or recovery Image (Clockwork), to get to a ROM of your choice.

Applying this update WILL re-lock your device and you will have to re-generate / enter the unlock code (based on the devices IMEI)

Do not apply this update if you are, not prepared/dont understand, how to change your ROM afterwards.

If you have a Hungarian Device, then T-Mobile Hungary will update for free any device they sold.

Well done to all the brave and hardworking individuals that made this possible.

Especially sly7 from the ProHardver (hungarian) Forum, who provided the update.zip

The work was done in this thread : http://android.modaco.com/content-page/327...oblem/page/140/

First check to see how much RAM your device can currently see.

Open the
Task Manager
app, the value to check is
Total System Memory
(best to do this just after a reboot of the device).

or you can download
Android System Info
(from
the market
) the value to check is
RAM Max

If your system total memory is greater than
256MB
(usually around 400MB) then you
DO NOT need to update

If your system total memory is somewhere around 160-200MB the you have the 256MB lock and
may need the Update

Next check that your device has been already confirmed to work

(this is done my people who are used to doing complex and problematic updates, and are able to recover thier device)

Let the hardcore users try it and then do yourself - if your country is not in this list - ask on the thread and see if someone can try it first.

• Hungarian -
    CONFIRMED

• Greek -
    CONFIRMED

• UK OLED and TFT -
    CONFIRMED

• French -
    CONFIRMED

• Indian (Dell XCD35) -
    CONFIRMED

• Austrian -
    CONFIRMED

• Switzerland -
    CONFIRMED

• Chinese -
      UNKNOWN

Stage 1 - Download the update & check its good

Download the update.zip from either of the mirrors

http://www.wuala.com/peanut_hu/OSF_Blade/R..._memory_fix_ROM

http://fonix232.co.cc/rom/index.php?dir=/blade/b03

Now use a md5sum utility to check that the file has not been damaged while downloading

Linux

In a terminal, cd to the directory where you downloaded the file and run the command

md5sum image.zip
    Windows
    Download the Utility
    http://www.md5summer.org/md5sum.zip
    , extract the files into the same directory as the update.zip Open a command windows, cd to the directory you put the update.zip, then run the command
    md5sum image.zip
    OSX
    Open a terminal, cd to the location you put the files, then run the command
    openssl md5 image.zip

The Md5sum output should be

abea0d620cbf63d362069a0f76069860

Stage 2 - Copy files to SD Card and install

[*]
      Mount your phone on USB or put the SDCard into a USB card reader.

[*]
      Create a directory called
      (lowercase) on the root of the SDcard (not in any other directories on the sdcard)

[*]
      Extract the contents of the ZIP file to the
      directory on your SD card

(For example: If the drive letter of the SD card is "S:" then extract the content of the ZIP to S:\image)

[*]Unmount the SDCard and turn the phone off, remove the battery, put the battery back in.

[*]Switch on your phone by holding Menu + volume up + power (hold all three together)

[*]Installation will automatically update your firmware, after it the phone restarts (When the updating process starts, you can release the keys)you may or may not see green text here - some users dont

[*]After booting - remove or rename the image directory on your SDCard or you can accidently re-flash your phone

[*]Now re-unlock your device (optional) http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-and-zte-blade/

[*]Now Install a custom ROM http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...and-other-roms/

If you follow this guide and it works, please post with your device country of origin then I can update it to be confirmed:

Thanks,

Edited by StevenHarperUK

Guest oh!dougal

Regarding the MD5 checksum, the simple way to get it is from the phone itself, using Astro File Manager (a great program, free, get it from Market).

This has the advantage of checking the file that has actually reached the sdcard.

Open Astro, navigate to the right directory. Long press on the filename, select 'Details' from the menu that pops up, and wait a few seconds for the MD5 to be calculated.

Simples.

Guest oh!dougal
Ok; but the files needs to be extracted - so its not really useful in this case.

??

Astro can md5 checksum the zip, make the new directory and then extract the files ... "not really useful in this case" ????

Guest StevenHarperUK
??

Astro can md5 checksum the zip, make the new directory and then extract the files ... "not really useful in this case" ????

Ok I take it back (didn't know astro can extract)- it can be done without a PC, but wont that be a bit fiddly, extracting and renaming the directory?

I can add it, but I don't want to confuse people.

Edited by StevenHarperUK

Guest feckineejit

Hello Steven i'm a little confused, you say download Android System info and look at the RAM display, which i've done. My total Ram is 414mb but then you say, If your system total memory is greater than 256MB (usually around 400MB) then you DO NOT need to update. Is system total memory = Internal Memory or Ram? if its internal memory mine says 208mb. Sorry if thats a dumb question

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hello Steven i'm a little confused, you say download Android System info and look at the RAM display, which i've done. My total Ram is 414mb but then you say, If your system total memory is greater than 256MB (usually around 400MB) then you DO NOT need to update. Is system total memory = Internal Memory or Ram? if its internal memory mine says 208mb. Sorry if thats a dumb question

RAM = Running Memory

Internal Memory = Application Space (where apps are installed)

Guest markusj
bad idea i think :(

Why? Service may require it, and it isn't hard to unlock it again, reflash clockwokmod, and restore a nandroid backup.

(Sadly, it became a daily routine for me in the last few days...)

Guest PeaNut_HU
RAM = Running Memory

You have written a little confusing 1st post, because you mention both task manager and android sytem info.

In Task Manager the value to check is "Total System Memory"

In Android System Info the value to check is "RAM Max:"

Edited by PeaNut_HU

Guest PeaNut_HU
Sorry but does that mean i got the 512mb device already and don't need an update?

A total ram of 414MB means it is the 512MB version, so you do _not_ need to apply this update.

Edited by PeaNut_HU

Guest Phoenix Silver
Why? Service may require it, and it isn't hard to unlock it again, reflash clockwokmod, and restore a nandroid backup.

(Sadly, it became a daily routine for me in the last few days...)

much much easier here with this apk

don't need flash and so on

here

Guest feckineejit
RAM = Running Memory

A total ram of 414MB is the 512MB version, do not tinker with your device with this update.

Cheers :(

Guest Cowardly Courage
Thanks!

My device is 512 Mb, but if it's a way to re-lock it, then I might use it some day.

Hmm, same here, never know, when could be useful to re-lock the blade

Guest PeaNut_HU
uhmm afaik it will not re-lock your device. many ppl who applied this patch said that on hungarian forums

Did yout try it out yourself and verified phone is not re-locked ?

Edited by PeaNut_HU

Guest Arr Too

It seems to me like this might wipe the PERSIST partition, so I reckon that'd be enough to change the phone's idea of whether it's SIM Network Locked or not -- but that also depends on which ROM you're using (some don't bother checking).

Guest oh!dougal
Ok I take it back (didn't know astro can extract)- it can be done without a PC, but wont that be a bit fiddly, extracting and renaming the directory?

I can add it, but I don't want to confuse people.

As you wish, but doing it on the phone involves just one set of instructions rather than Win/Mac/Linux versions. And its not fiddly!

One set of instructions = less confusion!

Guest StevenHarperUK
You have written a little confusing 1st post, because you mention both task manager and android sytem info.

In Task Manager the value to check is "Total System Memory"

In Android System Info the value to check is "RAM Max:"

Thanks, Updated