Installing beta2 with updates via script file in ubuntu!

Hey,

for all you lazy people..

I created a few script files which copy the necessary stuff to the fat32 and the ext3/4 partition on MY STORAGE

Really fast way of reinstalling Android :huh:

Updates included:

- 2d3d drivers

- build.prop

- new cpulib

- updatekeys

(all from beta2 update repository)

Step-by-Step:

1) Download VMWare player & install

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

2) Download ubuntu and install with easy install of the vmware player

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

3) wait until installation finishes...

4) wait more...

5) start ubuntu

5) plugin your phone and connect as mass storage (my storage)

6) connect I8000 to ubuntu (bottom right side in vmware player window..)

7) start terminal (applications->accessories->terminal

8) type "sudo apt-get install gparted" (will download gparted manager)

9) wait unti finished.

10) start gparted by typing "sudo gparted"

11) select /dev/sdb on the right top side (should be your My Storage, check size!)

12) right-click on any visible partition, UNMOUNT

13) delete all partitions

14) now there should be only unallocated space

15) right-click and create a partition..

size: (SIZEOFSTORAGE-1000MiB) (easy: just decrease the first number of free space by 1..)

type: fat32

label: disk0

16) in the 1000MiB create another partition:

size: guess..

type: ext4 (in my case, otherwise adjust script files later..)

label: disk

17) now start the operations by clicking on the green button (Apply all operations)

18) gparted will mount the partitions afterwards.

attention: I nearly killed ubuntu because I found out that it was accessible in terminal by "/media/disk_" and not "/media/disk" as expected. Wasted a lot of time.. HATE!

Now you should have "/dev/sdb1" -> fat32 and "/dev/sdb2/" -> ext4

19) close gparted, go back to terminal (leave it open or close it..)

20) Now we'll prepare the script files & resources:

21) open "places->home folder"

22) drag & drop "android.tar.gz" into the VM

23) right-click the archive and click "extract here"

24) open the new folder "android"

25) browse to "res", here you see all updates from the beta2 repository + beta2_1024 folder. (beta2_1024 is empty!)

26) drag & drop beta2_1024 folder from windows into the machine (extract the beta2_1024.zip in windows, then drag & drop the content into the VM)

27) go back to "android"

28) there are 4 .sh scripts:

- copyAndroid.sh (extracts ext2.tar and the updates to disk_ + copies the "new" zImage to disk0)

- copyWindows.sh (copies beta2_1024 folder to disk0)

- fullPackage.sh (if you're too lazy to execute 2 lines in terminal..will execute copyAndroid & copyWindows)

- tune2ext4.sh (will tune your existing ext3 partition into ext4..and copies the new zImage to disk0)

29) ADJUST ALL FILES !! YOU NEED TO SETUP A FEW VARIABLES. (double-click each file and display it in gedit).

There are 3 variables - dest, src, dest2. everything explained.

If you don't use ext4, uncomment the last lines in copyAndroid.sh, it won't copy the modified zImage in this case.

If you want to tune your ext3 to ext 4, "dest" must be set to "/dev/sbXXX" where XXX is the number of your partition. (look for it in gparted!)

and pay attention, as I said - probably it will be "/media/disk_" instead of "/media/disk". (CHECK MOUNTPOINT IN GPARTED)

30) running the scripts:

go to terminal, browse the script directory and type: "sudo bash <scriptname>"

31) when everything is done, adjust DEFAULT.TXT on fat32 partition (in windows or ubuntu, doesn't matter)

CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk00XpZ init=/init"

X = 0 = mystorage

X = 1 =sd card

Z = the number of the partition eg /dev/sdb2 Z = 2

32) unplug phone, run HARET.EXE from MYSTORAGE.

33) first boot takes longer, just wait and enjoy Android afterwards.

android.tar.gz

Edited by Guest

YES..ME :huh:

But i included a good step by step tut..to stop the dumb questions in the other topics..

hmmm remember we are talking about toooo lazy ppl

do you think that they will read 32 steps ?

Well, I dont know if I class as "toooooo lazy" but this was a big help for me. I have been trying to get the my storage install to work for a few days now and this is the first method that has actually worked. Everything else crashed out at IPC Transfer Start.

So anyway, much thanks to the maker!

Guest thew0lf
Well, I dont know if I class as "toooooo lazy" but this was a big help for me. I have been trying to get the my storage install to work for a few days now and this is the first method that has actually worked. Everything else crashed out at IPC Transfer Start.

So anyway, much thanks to the maker!

It just includes the 2D/3D libraries, that does the trick :huh:

hi,

i followed every step in this...there's only one problem im getting though. i cannot see my storage on my phone. i can see it in windows as disk0 when i plug it in and i can definitely see it in ubuntu. can anyone help me with this ?

edit: oh yea, whenever i plug out my phone i also get 2 format storage alerts. should i just format or just leave it at that?

Edited by llaa51

Guest Extremegmx

Thanks it's working now :huh: (using ext3) Is this normal, if I want to wake up the phone, I must not only press the unlock button but also the hang up button and the cube button ?

@llaa51 When the phone is connected to your PC you can't see My Storage on the phone(at least I dont see it, but as soon as I disconnect the phone from my PC, there is my storage again.) I think its better to delete all partition and make new ones.

Well actually, you are not supposed to see "My Storage" on your phone while you are plugged in to your PC. But then, when u plug it out you should be able to see it. So yeah, my point is, I don't see "My Storage" once I plug out my phone. I've also been deleting and remaking the partitions for quite a while now, and I have not been getting errors when extracting the files to disk and disk0. Only thing I havent tried now is installing it as ext3

edit: finally got it working under ext4.

Edited by llaa51

Guest Mr.Lowl

can you give a Example at step 30?? is this the right format?

a. 'user/downloads/android' sudo bash copyAndroid.sh

b. sudo bash copyAndroid.sh

Edited by Mr.Lowl

can you give a Example at step 30?? is this the right format?

a) 'user/downloads/android' sudo bash copyAndroid.sh

:huh: sudo bash copyAndroid.sh

Depending in which directory you are..

if you are in "/user/downloads/android" type only "sudo bash copyAndroid.sh"

otherwise (works always) "sudo bash /user/downloads/android/copyAndroid.sh"

I update about 03/03/2011 package for Ext4 and have problem

me 2

edit: not anymore, clean install fixed it. (after third try..) suxx

Edited by Guest

Guest Mr.Lowl

i gave up on this so i just did the normal installation but it says CAN'T MOUNT FLASH!!!!!!! how do i fix it??

nvm got it working thx

Edited by Mr.Lowl

Guest vibekururu

Hi, since you're saying "Delete all partitions", are you seriously saying to delete the 512mb hidden partition? Won't continue this guide until someone answers me so... we're supposed to create a 1gb ext4 partition and a primary fat32 one with the remaining space right?

Thank you

Hi, since you're saying "Delete all partitions", are you seriously saying to delete the 512mb hidden partition? Won't continue this guide until someone answers me so... we're supposed to create a 1gb ext4 partition and a primary fat32 one with the remaining space right?

Thank you

I don't have any hidden partition on MyStorage, deleted all partitions a few times and my phone still works. Don't know what hidden partition you have.

Guest vibekururu
I don't have any hidden partition on MyStorage, deleted all partitions a few times and my phone still works. Don't know what hidden partition you have.

The hidden partition comes originally when you install a full mst rom. After i deleted all partitions.. sdb5 -> disk0 (fat32) ; sdb6 -> disk (ext4) and i still have 2mb of unallocated space. Is that normal?

Thank you

The hidden partition comes originally when you install a full mst rom. After i deleted all partitions.. sdb5 -> disk0 (fat32) ; sdb6 -> disk (ext4) and i still have 2mb of unallocated space. Is that normal?

Thank you

yes

Guest vibekururu

Other and last thing, i'm getting kernel panic since i think the default.txt string is wrong... my ext4 partition is sdb6 so it should be mmcblk0p6 right?

p.s: when booting i'm getting ext4-fs error, will try to install all over again

Edited by vibekururu