The One Click Backup And Restore! [WIN][LINUX]

Guest Zebrahead

Guest Zebrahead

Hey all,

I'm pretty pleased with this one!

Introducing the One Click backup and restorer for the VEGA!

This tool is both easy to use, and simple! No ClockworkMod/Anything special required!

This tool will make a backup of your VEGA, which you can restore at any time!

Instructions :

Creating your restorer -

~ Plug in your VEGA (when on, in a normal state - with USB debugging enabled)

~ Double click the MakeRestorer for your operating system

You now have your restorer! :)

You can now move, rename and keep the restorer folder - this is your restorer and can be used as many times as you like! ^^

Using your restorer -

~ Simply go to the restorer directory

~ Follow the instructions in the pdf (the instructions from myadventvega.com)

~ Use the Restore file for your operating system (instead of the stock restorer)

And wow! Your VEGA is restored to the state it was in when you backed up! It's that simple ^^.

- I would also suggest making a complete backup of your SD card to match the backup made here as some apps depend on SD card data -

Note :

- You'll need on average 500MB of free space on your SD card for this to work!

- If using Windows and you have not already setup drives, I suggest using the AUDI tool on this forum to do so!

Mirror : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22432796/OneClickRestorer.zip

Hope you all like it ^^, please leave any feedback or suggestions!

Zeb ^^

OneClickRestorer.zip

Edited by Zebrahead

Guest rferrett

Top stuff zebrahead. Will this make it easier to do what we were speaking about on the vega fixer thread about making an NVFLASH virgin roms for new people?

Guest Zebrahead
sounds great mate, by normal state do you mean not in recovery or not with usb debugging? or both :)

Good point!

Probably need USB debugging as it used adb ^^. Thanks for pointing that out!

And wrt the other thread, it's on it's way as we speak ^^

Zeb

Guest Dave Marchant

A couple of things - maybe its me. I am a bit of a noob on Android, but have spent two weeks reading all the new posts here before trying to hack around too much so I don't think I have missed anything.

1/ I had to edit the MakeRestorer_Windows.bat to put new lines in before every new command - was this put together in a Linux editor?

2/ When I run the batch file, each adb command fails with AdbWinApi.dll missing. I am pretty sure I have got the drivers loaded correctly. It checks out with simonta's AUDI Driver installer.

I am running Win 7 x64. Apologies in advance if I have missed an obvious step somewhere. I know how frustrating such things can be as I have been a moderator on a Windows Forum for the last 2 years.

Edit: OK, found a couple of dll's in the Modaco USB Driver package and have copied them to the OneClickRestore\tools folder - seems to have got some progress.

Edited by Dave Marchant

Guest Zebrahead
A couple of things - maybe its me. I am a bit of a noob on Android, but have spent two weeks reading all the new posts here before trying to hack around too much so I don't think I have missed anything.

1/ I had to edit the MakeRestorer_Windows.bat to put new lines in before every new command - was this put together in a Linux editor?

2/ When I run the batch file, each adb command fails with AdbWinApi.dll missing. I am pretty sure I have got the drivers loaded correctly. It checks out with simonta's AUDI Driver installer.

I am running Win 7 x64. Apologies in advance if I have missed an obvious step somewhere. I know how frustrating such things can be as I have been a moderator on a Windows Forum for the last 2 years.

Edit: OK, found a couple of dll's in the Modaco USB Driver package and have copied them to the OneClickRestore\tools folder - seems to have got some progress.

Sorry, they slipped by! ^^

I've now patched the batch files and added the adb libraries, all should be well ^^

Zeb

Guest Zebrahead
Great news zebra! I think it will be a massive weight off the mind for those who just can't get the hang of the. ADB stuff!

Wrt to this, I may have to do it later (been travelling all day so I haven't had chance). I'd want to give it a try on windows first but I won't have access to windows until later tonight.

If you were prepared to give it a go I guess I could throw it together now.

Zeb ^^

Guest Dave Marchant
Sorry, they slipped by! ^^

I've now patched the batch files and added the adb libraries, all should be well ^^

Zeb

Thanks, glad to help with any little 'improvements'. Now onto my next issue - having backup up using your great utility (it really works well!!), I have stuffed the Vega by putting on CWM and it now boots to a blank screen. Struggling to get it back into recovery, but I'll get there eventually.

Guest Zebrahead
Thanks, glad to help with any little 'improvements'. Now onto my next issue - having backup up using your great utility (it really works well!!), I have stuffed the Vega by putting on CWM and it now boots to a blank screen. Struggling to get it back into recovery, but I'll get there eventually.

If you want to install CWM, what I'd suggest is download CWM here : http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...asy-install-v2/

Extract whatever that gives you and you should find a recovery.img. If you replace the recovery.img in the restorer/tools folder with the recovery.img from CWM, you should just be able to restore your vega using this tool and CWM will be installed ^^. This will just replace the recovery partition that you had, with CWM recovery ^^.

EDIT : If there's a recovery apk file with the CWM download, just copy that to your SD card and install once everything is up and running ^^.

Good luck,

Zeb

Edited by Zebrahead

Guest Dave Marchant
If you want to install CWM, what I'd suggest is download CWM here : http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...asy-install-v2/

Extract whatever that gives you and you should find a recovery.img. If you replace the recovery.img in the restorer/tools folder with the recovery.img from CWM, you should just be able to restore your vega using this tool and CWM will be installed ^^. This will just replace the recovery partition that you had, with CWM recovery ^^.

EDIT : If there's a recovery apk file with the CWM download, just copy that to your SD card and install once everything is up and running ^^.

Good luck,

Zeb

Thanks. That was the post I was going through to put CWM on. It was fine till I hit Recovery, it went into CWM fine and then I selected reboot - blank screen from then on. Although the ADB drivers are fine on my Win 7 x64 system, I cannot get the Recovery drivers right. They install as they should but the Vega isn't detected. However, I copied over the Backup set made by your tool to a 32-bit laptop, got into recovery and the Vega is now back as it was.

Sidenote: It seems to be easier to get into Recovery (back-power-back sequence) if the Vega is not fully charged. Even leaving it for 5 minutes with the screen glowing and no charger in seemed to make it easier when I put power back on and went for Recovery.

Guest Zebrahead
Great news zebra! I think it will be a massive weight off the mind for those who just can't get the hang of the. ADB stuff!

Wrt to this, sorry I've been taking so long!

It may take a little while longer - It's proving awkward.

I can make the tool by flashing my VEGA, but I get some legacy data files lying around and I don't want to publish anything that could have some of my data bloating it up.

I'm finding it difficult to find tools to reliably make the images of the system given the files needed alone. I have them, and they -seem- to work, but when I try it out I get all kinds of sizing issues.

I'll try and get it all working soon but I have exams starting 3rd! *starts to panic!* - I'll let you know if I make any headway!

Zeb

Guest rferrett
Wrt to this, I may have to do it later (been travelling all day so I haven't had chance). I'd want to give it a try on windows first but I won't have access to windows until later tonight.

If you were prepared to give it a go I guess I could throw it together now.

Zeb ^^

Hi Zebra,

Been really busy this week so behind on my MoDaCo and totally missed this. I am at my folks for sunday lunch but well up for giving it a go later. I am sure that virgin roms via NVFlash is the way forward fro newbies! And keen to help anyway I can to get that to happen! Sorry I missed your post about this back along

Ralph

• 2 weeks later...
Guest monkums

I think I'm overlooking something obvious. I ran the Makerestorer and have copied over the restorertemp folder from my SD card to my PC for safe keeping.

I now want to restore but where do I need to put the four files boot, data, recovery and system imgs? Do they go in the restorer/tools folder?

Guest Zebrahead
I think I'm overlooking something obvious. I ran the Makerestorer and have copied over the restorertemp folder from my SD card to my PC for safe keeping.

I now want to restore but where do I need to put the four files boot, data, recovery and system imgs? Do they go in the restorer/tools folder?

You don't need them, you can get rid of them. They're all already in the tools folder of the restorer. The reason why they were on the SD card is that the images need to be created on the device, and they are then pulled from there.

In order to restore, go into the restorer folder, and follow the instructions from there.

Zeb

Guest monkums

Can't get the restore to reboot.

Restore seems to go fine although the nvflash text on the screen doesn't dissapear.

After the DOS windows closes and I disconnect the Vega it won't boot at all.

Just done a reflash to stock 1.09 and that works fine.

Guest Zebrahead
Can't get the restore to reboot.

Restore seems to go fine although the nvflash text on the screen doesn't dissapear.

After the DOS windows closes and I disconnect the Vega it won't boot at all.

Just done a reflash to stock 1.09 and that works fine.

Were you coming from Honeycomb?

I'm not quite sure why but it seems people coming from honeycomb seem to be having problems using it.

I suspect it's to do with the partition sizes specified in flash.cfg.

It's strange because this tool is the stock installer, it's just patched with your own files.

But if you're now using the HC beta, it should work as normal as the partition sizes have been returned to default.

Sorry, I intended to write something to clarify all of this on Monday ^^

Zeb

Guest monkums

Yes I was coming from HC Alpha4.

Back on stock with R8 and a need to let it charge.

Couldn't do a CWM upgrade from stock to HC Beta 1a either as it kept getting stuck in a boot loop.

Guest Zebrahead
Yes I was coming from HC Alpha4.

Back on stock with R8 and a need to let it charge.

Couldn't do a CWM upgrade from stock to HC Beta 1a either as it kept getting stuck in a boot loop.

It shouldn't get stuck in a boot loop, maybe the download was corrupted or something went wrong during the flashing process?

But from now, this tool should work fine.

The partition layout was restored to it's original state in HC Beta1a I believe.

Zeb

Guest WWEpsp

i'm getting the same error, im coming from HC beta1a, but after the restore, the vega shows Entering NVflash recory mode, i turn it off then it keeps turning on in recovery mode... how can i exit recovery mode?