Installing new Froyo Beta on internal My Storage

Guest Breit

Guest Breit

Just because it cost me nearly 2 hours of scratching my head and trying to make any sense out of the guides and how-tos of how to install the new froyo build on the internal My Storage on an Omnia 2, i wanted to share my findings here:

At first you should copy the contents of the archive from the froyo beta release to your My Storage root folder.

On the project page there is an alternate install script for the first haret-session (the one which creates the android partition and copies the system files). It can be downloaded here.

This file (sd.cpio.gz) must be exchanged with the version in the 'o2beta' folder (just replace the file on your phone). The problem with that script is, that it was written for an older version of the project (beta1 for the android 2.1 version of the project). So it expects the system files in an ext2.tar.gz archive. Since i have no clue how to extract and rewrite the script, just rename the ext4.tar.gz from the froyo-beta package to ext2.tar.gz. The installer will recognize it and installs correctly. Just don't forget to place an empty file with the name 'installinternal' in the root folder of your My Storage as stated in the guide.

You are now ready to install the froyo-beta android to your device. Just run the 'haret.exe' from the o2beta-folder.

To start your freshly installed android, you now have to change the 'startup.txt' file in the root folder of your My Storage.

The following line:

Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 init=/init"
has to be replaced with this line:
Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p6 init=/init"

You are now ready and set. Just launch your o2android with the 'haret.exe' in the root folder of your My Storage. Enjoy!

PS: There is one problem with this approach though: Your android partition will be formatted with ext2 instead of ext4 but this should not be a problem since the froyo beta1 build doesn't enable journaling anyway. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge than i have can rewrite the install script in sd.cpio.gz someday... :mellow:

Guest 95ka

I have simpley no lucky. I try over 10 times all your installation, but every time the same problem. After launch this haret file stop launching on the same point:

00523a8>) (do_exit+0x0/0x634)

5.375210) r5:00000000 r4:00000000

_

What i doing wrong?

Just because it cost me nearly 2 hours of scratching my head and trying to make any sense out of the guides and how-tos of how to install the new froyo build on the internal My Storage on an Omnia 2, i wanted to share my findings here:

At first you should copy the contents of the archive from the froyo beta release to your My Storage root folder.

On the project page there is an alternate install script for the first haret-session (the one which creates the android partition and copies the system files). It can be downloaded here.

This file (sd.cpio.gz) must be exchanged with the version in the 'o2beta' folder (just replace the file on your phone). The problem with that script is, that it was written for an older version of the project (beta1 for the android 2.1 version of the project). So it expects the system files in an ext2.tar.gz archive. Since i have no clue how to extract and rewrite the script, just rename the ext4.tar.gz from the froyo-beta package to ext2.tar.gz. The installer will recognize it and installs correctly. Just don't forget to place an empty file with the name 'installinternal' in the root folder of your My Storage as stated in the guide.

You are now ready to install the froyo-beta android to your device. Just run the 'haret.exe' from the o2beta-folder.

To start your freshly installed android, you now have to change the 'startup.txt' file in the root folder of your My Storage.

The following line:

Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 init=/init"
has to be replaced with this line:
Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p6 init=/init"

You are now ready and set. Just launch your o2android with the 'haret.exe' in the root folder of your My Storage. Enjoy!

PS: There is one problem with this approach though: Your android partition will be formatted with ext2 instead of ext4 but this should not be a problem since the froyo beta1 build doesn't enable journaling anyway. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge than i have can rewrite the install script in sd.cpio.gz someday... :mellow:

Guest Breit
I have simpley no lucky. I try over 10 times all your installation, but every time the same problem. After launch this haret file stop launching on the same point:

00523a8>) (do_exit+0x0/0x634)

5.375210) r5:00000000 r4:00000000

_

What i doing wrong?

i'm not sure what that realy means. did you start the right haret.exe (the one in the o2beta folder) first to create a system partition? if so then try reformatting/cleaning your my storage. some say that a reformat in the phone (winmo) helps if the installer has problems in doing so.

if your installer created the android partition correctly and copied all the neccesary files to it and during system start (with the haret.exe in the root folder on my storage) your bootloader hang, then try this: modify the partition number of your android partition in the startup.txt file to number 5 (from 6) -> this should help for some omnia 2 phones. it seems to be model dependant...

Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p5 init=/init"

please report back if it works (or not)... :mellow:

Edited by Breit

Guest 95ka
i'm not sure what that realy means. did you start the right haret.exe (the one in the o2beta folder) first to create a system partition? if so then try reformatting/cleaning your my storage. some say that a reformat in the phone (winmo) helps if the installer has problems in doing so.

if your installer created the android partition correctly and copied all the neccesary files to it and during system start (with the haret.exe in the root folder on my storage) your bootloader hang, then try this: modify the partition number of your android partition in the startup.txt file to number 5 (from 6) -> this should help for some omnia 2 phones. it seems to be model dependant...

Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p5 init=/init"

please report back if it works (or not)... :mellow:

I don't know what happend, but now working from my storage, from SD card won't working. Maybe was the problem o2b3update.tar.gz, i tested diferend files.

Guest Breit
I don't know what happend, but now working from my storage, from SD card won't working. Maybe was the problem o2b3update.tar.gz, i tested diferend files.

glad to hear that it's working for you. :mellow:

take care

breit

Guest liamneerg
glad to hear that it's working for you. :unsure:

take care

breit

can you tell me which files didi you use?

i have the same problem

Guest rrr2

Need your help Please

I want to install it to the sdcard (16GB)

I keep receiving kernel panic when starting install

My partition list from the kernel panic is

b300 8028160 mmcblk0 driver mmcblk

b301 1 mmcblk0p1

b305 7503872 mmcblk0p5

b306 524286 mmcblk0p6

b308 15558144 mmcblk1 driver: mmcblk

b309 1 mmcblk1p1

b30d 15558143 mmcblk1p5

Which parameter should be used in the startup.txt ?

How can I install to sd card?

Guest shadowangel

I'll share what I did:

Set the Configuration of the phone in the USB Connection as Mass Storage => My Storage and, using VMWare with Ubuntu, connected the phone.

I removed all partitions from my MyStorage using Ubuntu and GParted - Was kind of tense, after each operation I had to remove the phone and put it back on or else I couldn't do the following steps).

Afterwards, using GParted I created 2 partitions:

Disk0 as VFAT with 2GB

Disk1 as ext4 with the rest (almost 6GB)

Untared within Ubuntu the ext4.tar.gz directly in the ext4 partition (Disk1)

I changed the STARTUP.TXT with the line above mentioned (I attached mine here)

Just run the HARET.EXE and it came on nicelly :P

startup.txt

Edited by shadowangel

Guest lol = ^_^

A new way to do this is use the Froyo bundle for windows :P Much, much easier

Edited by lol = ^_^

• 1 month later...
Guest xleon

My problem with Froyo bundle is the same as the one I'm having here at Froyo manual installation. It seems the only problem relies on the Startup.txt since not all devices result the same name.

I just want to ask where should I point the startup.txt in this example:

b300 8028160 mmcblk0 driver mmcblk

b301 1 mmcblk0p1

b305 7503872 mmcblk0p5

b306 524286 mmcblk0p6

b308 15558144 mmcblk1 driver: mmcblk

b309 1 mmcblk1p1

b30d 15558143 mmcblk1p5

the above information is not mine, I just took it from the previous post here.

Should I point at My Storage? or should I point it at the SD Card - if yes, which partition? The ext or the fat32 partition? I have the installer at My Storage. Thank you very much.