ZTE Skate Unlocked (test sample) - ROM issues

Guest plop08

Are those just for plop08...?

I'd say there's a good chance they're only for him. I got excited thinking it was a rom and kernel to take out the sim restriction, until I clicked the linky :lol:

one of the DL's "FlippedSkate11092011.zip"

Guest tilal6991

I'd say there's a good chance they're only for him. I got excited thinking it was a rom and kernel to take out the sim restriction, until I clicked the linky

one of the DL's "FlippedSkate11092011.zip"

Yes - those are just for plop. They are a mirror of the build I posted earlier but for flipped screen.

Sorry guys !

Ok time to test.

So installed ROM then Kernel then GAPPS

it boots

Screen is as it should be ... check !

Connecting to wifi ...... check !

Market working -- trying to download apps (with GAPPS)

Ok got to Homescreen after install, and apps are installing.

Screen unlocking works !

humm got new android market, seem to crash a little but works ok

rebooting with a SIM ....

Still had the "unlock to use with this operator" thingy but i reject it and it works

OK got DATA too hehe (logo H and internet working)

Great !

After that I try to move apps to SD then reboot with SIM to check !

Thanks all ! I need to try a phone call to see if it work too !

Data seems a little unstable after a phone call (only G now, had H before and I have no issue here to get HSDPA)

switch to plane mode then back, HSDPA took a will to come back but it fine !

installed makret enabler, rebooting, no reboot ..., damn !

took out the battery, it works lol

everything seem to be in order !!

Thank you so much tilal

Edited by plop08

Ok after 2 days of use, some feedback

First of all, everything works fine, no forced closes nothing that is grea !

But I have one main issue : battery life.

Really really bad ...

I have 3 emails account (gmail+ one push + one imap sync every 15 mintues) and some other apps that are synching (google+ and stuff) but I used that configuration on other phones (like the HTC sensation) and battery life was fine.

I am down at 30% now after 6h44 minutes ...

Screen is almost always les bright possible.

I did not use it that much.

One thing in particular seem really bad is when I use google musisc beta (not in streaming, I have downloaded everything before) and there is a 2nd process used when I listen to music: mediaserver

It takes 14% of my battery life here (and I have only listened less than 2H I think - it said UC used 14 min ...) whereas google music takes "only" 10% (I just tried on a Dell streak 7, no mentions of this media stream thing but app not working good so who knows)

That's 24% of the battery only for the music !

screen takes 42%, the rest is insignificant

What is this mediaserver ?

I don't remember having it when I ran google beta music on another phone. Funny thing Google Music beta did a weird thing and now the regular music apps has the same logo and ask me each time what app to open it with (and I can use both music apps ..) Should I get rid of the old one ?

Anyway do you have any tips to help the battery life cause I won't even get 10h and when I did the same configuration with the HTC sensation for example I had 20h and more easly

I did not tweak anything in the CPU settings for the moment

I am using Honeycomb like theme found on XDA but I don't think it is the problem

Thanks if someone has any idea !

EDIT: just made a 2min44sec call, took 6% of battery damn

Edited by plop08

I did not tweak anything in the CPU settings for the moment

I am using Honeycomb like theme found on XDA but I don't think it is the problem

Hey Plop08

I am using the honeybread theme, its a dark theme (blue) so...not many bright colours, my battery life seems to have bettered because of it, really you should use setcpu...it helps alot :)

Hey Plop08

I am using the honeybread theme, its a dark theme (blue) so...not many bright colours, my battery life seems to have bettered because of it, really you should use setcpu...it helps alot :)

I am using honeybread already too, did not really help, I am afraid it is a bigger problem than that.

What settings you use in SetCPU ?

I am using honeybread already too, did not really help, I am afraid it is a bigger problem than that.

What settings you use in SetCPU ?

Charging (979-480MHz)

Battery <75% (806-122MHz)

Temp > 41C (480-122MHz)

Battery <35% (480-122MHz)

Screen Off (245-122)

And I have another profile setting:

Battery <101% (???-122MHz)

I turn off all other settings and change the maximum setting to what I am using my phone for, if i'm at work...I always check the time so I set it between 320-122MHz, its so I can have more control, I dont want the process to boot all the way upto 979 everytime I check the time, when i'm texting I put the maximum down to around 600MHz :)

Also...I don't need to turn off all other settings to use the 'Battery <101%' profile setting, I can just turn off the other two 'Battery' settings.

Edited by Navie

Charging (979-480MHz)

Battery <75% (806-122MHz)

Temp > 41C (480-122MHz)

Battery <35% (480-122MHz)

Screen Off (245-122)

And I have another profile setting:

Battery <101% (???-122MHz)

I turn off all other settings and change the maximum setting to what I am using my phone for, if i'm at work...I always check the time so I set it between 320-122MHz, its so I can have more control, I dont want the process to boot all the way upto 979 everytime I check the time, when i'm texting I put the maximum down to around 600MHz :)

Also...I don't need to turn off all other settings to use the 'Battery <101%' profile setting, I can just turn off the other two 'Battery' settings.

Thanks !

How is your battery life then ?

Also is anyone else using Google music ?

Thanks !

How is your battery life then ?

Also is anyone else using Google music ?

My battery life is better but not as good as when I was using the Blueginger rom, CM7 seems to use alot of battery. Btw...I don't use fancy animations and have the majority disabled as that can impact battery.

My battery life is better but not as good as when I was using the Blueginger rom, CM7 seems to use alot of battery. Btw...I don't use fancy animations and have the majority disabled as that can impact battery.

Most of my battery goes down when I do not do anything so I don't what is going on ... and when I listen music ...

Tilal as you made this CM7 build, any idea ? what settings to use ?

Guest tilal6991

Most of my battery goes down when I do not do anything so I don't what is going on ... and when I listen music ...

Tilal as you made this CM7 build, any idea ? what settings to use ?

I really don't know - my battery life has gone down as well compared to BlueGinger. I will try and see if I can fix it but right now I'm really focused on unlocking this darn phone.

I really don't know - my battery life has gone down as well compared to BlueGinger. I will try and see if I can fix it but right now I'm really focused on unlocking this darn phone.

Yeah I saw that ahah !

Good luck !

Guest kallt_kaffe

If the Skate uses the same proximity sensor as the Blade then there was a recent fix in the kernel source (1 day ago). Without that fix I think that the wake lock used by the proximity sensor is not always cleared and that would prevent the phone from going to sleep (= battery drain). Not sure if this is the reason but I though it was worth mentioning.

If the Skate uses the same proximity sensor as the Blade then there was a recent fix in the kernel source (1 day ago). Without that fix I think that the wake lock used by the proximity sensor is not always cleared and that would prevent the phone from going to sleep (= battery drain). Not sure if this is the reason but I though it was worth mentioning.

So disabling the proximity sensor should help ?

Not sure if you can thought ..

Ok i wanted to thank you for all this, I am taking the phone for a week trip. I won't be able to help you if you need more from me for the unlock before end of next week.

My only concern now with this ROM is battery life as it is really really bad.

EDIT: I tryed this http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=675136 I'll tell you how it works (it was on WCDMA preferred i have put GSM auto PRL)

EDIT2: has I had 10% drown in 15 minutes i got back to wcdma preferred but i don't know ...

Edited by plop08

This code does not work in my phone, i don't know why but I could recalibrate in the ZTE Skate settings app (don't know why it is here). It did not help.

Main issue is when listening to music and when on 3G as drains it so fast i don't know why (even in idle)

Should I recalibrate Battery (taking out the file in data/system) ?

Edited by plop08

I don't get it, already 8% gone in 11 minutes ...

10% in 15 minutes ...

It probably has to do with the fact that it is a testing phone ... even with 1400 battery.

I even underclocked the CPU to 480mhz ...

EDIT: 19% down in 1h30 not doing anything ...

Edited by plop08

Hi all, I come again for help, if you can help me after reading this it would be appreciated !

First I would like to thanks Tilal and kallt_kaffe for their help as the device is working indeed.

I am using CM7 version made by tilal for me

I have one major issue with the device, it is the battery life. If I don't activate data, only GSM, I can make 16-20h maybe, with data it is less than 10H, even 6h or less, even if I don't use it ...

- I have gmail+ 2 mails synching and some apps like google +, fancy widget for the weather and the google apps (including google music).

- I tried recalibrating the battery, but no luck.

- The CPU is underclocked to 480 mhz all the time (and 245 if no activity)

- when listening to music (not streaming) it seems to drain even faster

What should I do ? 6h of a phone not doing anything is not really usable. should I try wipe again all reinstall ROM and Kernel to see if it works better? Battery usage does not show that there is an app that is using all the battery life. Even in plane mode it is not great ... (should last for days ...)

Should I change ROM (could be the best solution) and if so can someone help me as my device as a different screen and a flipped screen and I have no idea how to get it to work and how tilal and kallt_kaffe made it work.

Thank you for your help if you can help me, that would be awsome!

Guest stiefanu

I don't get it, already 8% gone in 11 minutes ...

10% in 15 minutes ...

It probably has to do with the fact that it is a testing phone ... even with 1400 battery.

I even underclocked the CPU to 480mhz ...

EDIT: 19% down in 1h30 not doing anything ...

I use setcpu for root user with CM7 and i love that program! i created a profile that underclock the cpu to 122mhz when the screen goes off. It's a bit slow when you press the unlock hardware key, but i left it for five hours and the battery was at the same level (%) as before!