ZTE Skate Unlocked (test sample) - ROM issues

Guest plop08

Hi everyone.

I started this topic to stop flooding other ones about my issues with the ZTE Skate I got. It an operation sample I got (do not ask how, or in PM) unlocked to test Orange ROMs. (Produced in April)

It was in an early Orange build, (B01 instead of the B05 you all have).

It was working fine (but I needed more internal memory) so I started to root it. Then I took out some apps with Antek App Manager and the problems started. At first boot the droid started to flip upside down, but I did not pay attention as the ROM seemed to work fine. After that when I tried to lock the phone pressing the hardwared button, I could not get the screen back, it remains black (with backlight) and I can even unlock it with the touchscreen but no more display ... (video later in the post)

So I wanted to correct that by installing a new ROM (And I did not make any backup ... I know ...) but the ROMs were all upside down (picture here : )

Thanks to Tilal I now have a CM7 ROM working in the right way (even wifi and the camera - did not try 3G for the moment), but the Black when Locking issue still exists

Here is a video for you to understand the issue (sorry for the poor quality ...) : http://www.mediafire.com/?eyb9ygbh4sani1o

You can see that the backlight works when I unlock but nothing is displayed, and I can even unlock it (I feel the touch vibration).

I had this problem in all the ROMs except the one I had before rooting and it seems it started when I rooted the device. Of course I wipped everything before installing new ROMs).

Anyway, thank you if you can help me!

I hope I can then help you maybe to unlock your devices as this one is totally unlocked

Guest Sebastian404

To be honest, your screwed, it sounds like the pre-prod device had different hardware, the 'regular' Skate that Orange and SNF are selling has the screen physically inverted and yours did not, thats something that is 'fixed' in software.

without a backup of your original software your not going to get it the right way around again....

You might be able to build your own custom version of CM7 that has only the screen flipped, but with the digitizer inverted, but your going to have to build that yourself, and thats not simple...

Guest wrtease

their has been a rom dump by another member from russia ,it was a unlocked skate so maybe it will help get your mobile working correctly ,it has to be checked out by the devs on here to see what it has in it.,hopefully something will happen.

To be honest, your screwed, it sounds like the pre-prod device had different hardware, the 'regular' Skate that Orange and SNF are selling has the screen physically inverted and yours did not, thats something that is 'fixed' in software.

without a backup of your original software your not going to get it the right way around again....

You might be able to build your own custom version of CM7 that has only the screen flipped, but with the digitizer inverted, but your going to have to build that yourself, and thats not simple...

Yes I was thinking something like that but when tilal made me a custom CM that is working except for the locking/unlocking issue, hope came back !

Edited by plop08

Guest kallt_kaffe

Yes I was thinking something like that but when tilal made me a custom CM that is working except for the locking/unlocking issue, hope came back !

My guess is that it is not only that your display is not inverted, it's also not the same type of screen and it's not initializes correctly when the kernel driver tries to turn it on. When I was a bit involved in an Android port for the HTC TyTN II (HTC Kaiser) there was 3 kind of display panels and we had to compile one kernel for each of them because they were initialized differently.

In fact using the wrong kernel could give exactly this scenario because when you boot the screen is turned on by "firmware" that runs before linux and android is even started (to display the splash logo). But the next time you turn the screen of it is up to the driver in the linux kernel to turn it on again.

Now ZTE sometimes leaves traces and comments when they do changes in their drivers so there might be clues in the kernel source code on what they've changed while experimenting with different hardware.

Still, to get your device to work you will need a custom kernel AND and custom CM7 version. The latter you allready have so what you need is some kernel hacking (or a new phone).

Guest kallt_kaffe

I would start looking here: https://github.com/T...el_wvga_skate.c

And this change is my wild guess:

2011-01-25 luya modify for 743 CRDB00603861 ZTE_LCD_LUYA_20110125_001
[/code] Sounds like the've made changes for a different panel and the previous seems to have been called 729.
[code]
2010-06-29 luya modify mdelay to msleep ZTE_LCD_LUYA_20100629_0012010-06-11 lht project mode display panel info ZTE_LCD_LHT_20100611_0012010-05-29 luya add delay when init finish ZTE_LCD_LUYA_20100529_0012010-05-22 luya modify BKL reg setting ZTE_LCD_LUYA_20100522_0012010-05-17 luya delete mdelay ZTE_LCD_LUYA_20100517_0012010-05-13 luya not init for the 1st time ZTE_LCD_LUYA_20100513_0012010-05-07 luya modify 729 BKL reg ZTE_LCD_LUYA_20100507_0012010-04-28 luya modify delay of bkl adjust ZTE_LCD_LUYA_20100428_0022010-04-14 luya modify for 729 bkl ZTE_LCD_LUYA_20100414_0012010-03-25 luya merge samsung oled driver ZTE_LCD_LUYA_20100325_001

Guest kallt_kaffe

The skate display driver for the 2.6.32 kernel looks quite a bit different. Seems they was using a different setup of panels there. That might the driver you need.

Guest tilal6991

The skate display driver for the 2.6.32 kernel looks quite a bit different. Seems they was using a different setup of panels there. That might the driver you need.

OK - I'll work on getting that to work.

Completely unrelated but have you uploaded the latest overclock code to Github.

Guest kallt_kaffe

OK - I'll work on getting that to work.

Completely unrelated but have you uploaded the latest overclock code to Github.

Yes. It's in Toms repo. It will propably be easiest if you extract the config while running one of my precompiled kernels (zcat /proc/config.gz > /mnt/sdcard/overclocked_config.txt)

Guest tilal6991

Yes. It's in Toms repo. It will propably be easiest if you extract the config while running one of my precompiled kernels (zcat /proc/config.gz > /mnt/sdcard/overclocked_config.txt)

OK - thanks a lot. Going to compile it 3GVMSPLIT for CM7 :)

Guest kallt_kaffe

OK - thanks a lot. Going to compile it 3GVMSPLIT for CM7 :)

But the build the topic starter is using right now is VMSPLIT_2G, right?

Because I've made a kernel that may (or may not) work (attached) but it is VMSPLIT_2G.

USED AT ONES OWN RISK AND KEEP A WORKING ROM ON THE SDCARD IN CASE YOU NEED TO REINSTALL.

zte_skate_overclockable_kernel_dev_phone.zip

Because I've made a kernel that may (or may not) work (attached) but it is VMSPLIT_2G.

USED AT ONES OWN RISK AND KEEP A WORKING ROM ON THE SDCARD IN CASE YOU NEED TO REINSTALL.

What is it?...another overclock?

Guest tilal6991

Yes it is I think (as far as I can remember). I'm just testing 3G split for now.

wow great, how do I use it? Same as installing ROMs?

I will try it as fast as I can, thanks for helping me!

Guest kallt_kaffe

wow great, how do I use it? Same as installing ROMs?

I will try it as fast as I can, thanks for helping me!

Please let me know when you have tested it. If it works I will push my changes to Toms kernel repo.

Please let me know when you have tested it. If it works I will push my changes to Toms kernel repo.

Ok I tried reinstalling the kernel over the CM7 you made for me, does not boot now.

I wipped everything, still nothing, reinstalled, still nothing. It only boots to recovery

Reinstalled your CM over it, now it boots again but with the issue you know of

Edited by plop08

Guest kallt_kaffe

Ok I tried reinstalling the kernel over the CM7 you made for me, does not boot now.

I wipped everything, still nothing, reinstalled, still nothing. It only boots to recovery

Reinstalled your CM over it, now it boots again but with the issue you know of

Open a terminal (or use adb) and type this (on your phone):

$ su

# zcat /proc/config.gz | grep VMSPLIT

Guest kallt_kaffe

CONFIG_VMSPLIT_3G=y

2G and 1G are not set

Well, at least that is one reason why it does not boot. The kernel I compiled was compiled for VMSPLIT_2G. I'll make a new one.

Well, at least that is one reason why it does not boot. The kernel I compiled was compiled for VMSPLIT_2G. I'll make a new one.

Great, thank !

Yes when I saw the 3G=y I understood right away