"SD card unexpectedly removed" error appears randomly

Guest akasma74

Guest akasma74

From time to time the phone says "SD card unexpectedly removed" and I have to power it off completely and turn on again to get it mounted.

Google brought many results and it's not clear for me whether it's Android's flaw or the card is dying.

I checket my 4 GB class 4 Kingston using H2testw and if found no errors (so Windows checker did).

Android version is 2.3.5, kernel 2.6.35.7-perf, build Acer_LiquidMT_4.000.07_EMEA_GEN1

Could anyone explain me what is it and what can I do about it? Is the best way to send it back to seller or what?

Guest akasma74

you could update your firmware to 4.000.14 and check if it's better then ;)

Any hints where to get it? I can see only 4.000.13 on Acer's web site

I had exactly the same problem. I had to restart the phone to get the card mounted.

I am sorry to say that and I hope your problem is software based but after several days I couldn't make the SD card work at all. I tried another card and it didn't work as well. After restart the phone removed the card immediately.

So I had to give my phone for repair.

Edited by mnmn

Guest akasma74

today it appeared again, with the latest firmware after using Camera360.

Acer's technical support haven't responded since 1st of Jan, that's shame

I think the problem with my phone started when I was watching videos on Youtube (I installed it on the SD card in ext2) before the SD card stopped working completely. I'm not an expert in mobile phone hardware but after I read your post I start to think that applications which overload the GPU trigger the fault?

Guest akasma74

I think the problem with my phone started when I was watching videos on Youtube (I installed it on the SD card in ext2) before the SD card stopped working completely. I'm not an expert in mobile phone hardware but after I read your post I start to think that applications which overload the GPU trigger the fault?

I don't think it's GPU fault because of overload or something.

The most likely Android's bug or (less likely) card's fault - everything backs to normal if I restart the phone. So annoying..

I don't think it's GPU fault because of overload or something.

The most likely Android's bug or (less likely) card's fault - everything backs to normal if I restart the phone. So annoying..

Yes I know it was really annoying so you will be stressed out less if you identify the problem quickly...

Why don't you try Froyo for some time again? If the problem stops then it is a software bug and if not - it is the hardware. I am not sure why you exclude the possibility that it might be a SD card reader or other hardware fault? In fact it is worse if the problem is software related and send your phone to Acer because they will charge you!

Guest akasma74

Yes I know it was really annoying so you will be stressed out less if you identify the problem quickly...

Why don't you try Froyo for some time again? If the problem stops then it is a software bug and if not - it is the hardware. I am not sure why you exclude the possibility that it might be a SD card reader or other hardware fault? In fact it is worse if the problem is software related and send your phone to Acer because they will charge you!

I bought it with Gingerbread installed, not Froyo. I'll sooner install some custom ROM like t&l to see the difference and get it rooted in the same time ;)

What SD card reader? The card is in the phone constantly. If you're talking about its SD slot.. google the topic title and you'll get loads of results from owners of HTC, Motorola etc which makes me think it's less likely hardware problem of S120 only.

Anyway, before I send it to Acer, I need to get a response from that lazy guys first.. :(

I bought it with Gingerbread installed, not Froyo. I'll sooner install some custom ROM like t&l to see the difference and get it rooted in the same time ;)

What SD card reader? The card is in the phone constantly. If you're talking about its SD slot.. google the topic title and you'll get loads of results from owners of HTC, Motorola etc which makes me think it's less likely hardware problem of S120 only.

Anyway, before I send it to Acer, I need to get a response from that lazy guys first.. :(

I bought it with Froyo and I upgraded it to Gingerbread later. I just thought that it would be better to install original ROM just in case the card stops working. Obviously Acer will not accept a rooted phone. But maybe you won't have the problem with a custom ROM.

Yes I meant the slot...anyway I am getting my phone back today and will let you know what was the problem if they say anything at all.

In fact Acer were quite fast with the response (they replied within 24 hrs) and the repair took about 1 week considering the holiday.. so I don't know why they are so slow with your question.

Guest Genrix

"SD card unexpectedly removed" it`s software + hardware trouble.

Removing flash card is due to hardware incompatibilities flash card and card reader controller on a smartphone.

Maybe it's an allergy to your flash card. Yes, yes... Try using a flash card from another manufacturer.

This problem may also occur when using overclocking kernel with undervolt. (Personal Experience on the Android version 2.2).

Try to flash overclocking kernel 1.1a, increasing the voltage by 1-2 points for each frequency from 122 to 800mhz, but not to increase the CPU frequency above 800mhz.

Guest akasma74

"SD card unexpectedly removed" it`s software + hardware trouble.

Removing flash card is due to hardware incompatibilities flash card and card reader controller on a smartphone.

Maybe it's an allergy to your flash card. Yes, yes... Try using a flash card from another manufacturer.

This problem may also occur when using overclocking kernel with undervolt. (Personal Experience on the Android version 2.2).

Try to flash overclocking kernel 1.1a, increasing the voltage by 1-2 points for each frequency from 122 to 800mhz, but not to increase the CPU frequency above 800mhz.

I'm using original ROM from Acer, not rooted.

When my 32 Gb Class 4 Sandisk arrives, I will use it instead of borrowed 4 Gb Class 4 Kingston.

Not sure I'll play this game with overclocking though, but thanks for the idea.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest akasma74

Acer tech support adviced me to apply a patch to resolve the problem.

Well, I'm a bit sceptical as it's not for S120 and not for Gingerbread.. also, my 32 Gb Sandisk doesn't show any error messages so far and I don't bother about old Kingston much ;)

Anyway, it seems like not all SD cards are the same for our beloved phone.