Vodafone UK - supplied apps safe to remove

Guest gsf600y

Guest gsf600y

For those of us which have rooted our G300's, just wondering what Vodafone branded G300 apps can be removed?

Personally, I've removed the following without issues: (updated following input from others :) )

Twitter & Facebook (hate the stuff ;) )

Youtube

FM Radio

Qype

All the Trial software

VPN Services

Documents2Go

Email (I use a different email App)

TouchPal French Language

TouchPal German Language

TouchPal Italian Language

TouchPal Portuguese Language

TouchPal Spanish Language

HUAWEUI Launcher (Huawei App) (I use a different Launcher, make sure you make replacement launcher a System App first)

Weather Clock (HuaweiApp)

UNSURE

HelpLogin (Vodafone App)

HelpLogin App (Vodafone App)

HelpLogin Security (Vodafone App)

My Web (Vodafone App)

ToolBox (Huawei App)

Updates (Vodafone App)

What a safe method for removing these, assuming it results in buggering the phone up and making it unusable? What's the "backout" method?

Edited by gsf600y

Guest Frankish

All i'll say about launcher is, you can remove the Huawei one but it'd highly recommended that you push your replacement one to system on your phone. :)

Guest gsf600y

Ok, just been reading about what you've suggested, as I had no idea what "push" "to system" meant. Yes, sounds like a very good idea.

So I've now move the apk into the /system/app folder with correct permissions, and rebooted, but Root Uninstaller still doesn't think it's a System app, so I'm missing something. I renamed the /data/app one to _bak.

Guest gsf600y

Ah, Root Uninstaller by dohkoos does report it as a system app, so it is quite easy to do. I used ES File Explorer to move the file.

Edited first post as I've successfully remove some more Apps.

Guest timfimjim

pretty sure you can remove the stock email app without issues arising.

A safe way to check that there won't be any problems is to 'freeze' the apps in titanium backup (paid version only though). Then I guess if you had no problems afterwards you could uninstall the apps.

Also you'll probably have no problem getting rid of the vodafone apps.

Maybe just to be sure, backup your rom in cwm before removing them all.

Guest gsf600y

I used the free Root Uninstaller by developer called dohkoos. Did it no problem. There is another one called "Root Uninstaller", but I've found it has the same issue you had with Titanium.

Edited by gsf600y

Guest JBSCARFACE

HelpLogin (Vodafone App)

My Web (Vodafone App)

ToolBox (Huawei App)

Updates (Vodafone App)

I removed them all no problems!!

Guest FrankieADZ

How do you remove all those Touchpal language packs? Titanium Backup throws "can't find apk file" error.

i had the same problem, had to go into cust/normal.europe/app & the Tocuhpal stuff should be there :)

as said, you need a root explorer

Guest ovecka

i had the same problem, had to go into cust/normal.europe/app & the Tocuhpal stuff should be there

as said, you need a root explorer

There they are! Thank you :) Rom Toolbox does nothing for me. It just shows "uninstalling xxxxx" until my patience is over and I shut it down.

Guest eirlysbill1

yeah one those files is read only, I think. Anyway I struggled taking them out to, until I found the right files. Don't have time to look now, but look in system/cust (I think??) but that's the trick. The problem isn't the app. It's great

Guest Chuzzwuzzer

Has anyone ordered their Huawei from the Vodafone website. How long did most peoples orders from vodafone take.Ordered the Huawei over the weekend and still not heard anything 4 days later ?

Guest gsf600y

Hmmmmm......

<!!! DANGER WILL ROBINSON !!!>

just removed the following, and had several crashes and have now lost my status bar at the top of the phone :(

HelpLogin (Vodafone App)

My Web (Vodafone App)

ToolBox (Huawei App)

I'm getting:

The application Status Bar (process com.android.systemui) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

So I hit "Force Close" and the status bar disappears.

The message then comes once more, and that's it.

All apps are functioning ok, as is my Launcher.

Any ideas anyone?

Edited by gsf600y

Guest Davidoff59

None of those should cause any issues.Are you sure you didn't delete anything else while poking around in the root of the phone?

Guest ovecka

Hmmmmm......

<!!! DANGER WILL ROBINSON !!!>

just removed the following, and had several crashes and have now lost my status bar at the top of the phone

HelpLogin (Vodafone App)

My Web (Vodafone App)

ToolBox (Huawei App)

I'm getting:

The application Status Bar (process com.android.systemui) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

So I hit "Force Close" and the status bar disappears.

The message then comes once more, and that's it.

All apps are functioning ok, as is my Launcher.

Any ideas anyone?

same for me. I had to wipe and reinstall the phone. :(

Guest gsf600y

It was odd.....

I'd selected the apps, hit Uninstall, then the next screen which normally confirms the uninstall for each app in turn issues repeated and neverending errors. I think the uninstall of the first one buggered it all up.

Thinking about just installing the B888 ROM now and wiping over the lot of it.

EDIT: Ah, what app did you uninstall them with Ovecka?

Edited by gsf600y

Guest timfimjim

Has anyone ordered their Huawei from the Vodafone website. How long did most peoples orders from vodafone take.Ordered the Huawei over the weekend and still not heard anything 4 days later ?

Mine took about a week. I ordered it for collection in store and was told I'd get an email when it was ready but that didn't happen. So its worth enquiring

Guest gsf600y

Here's a thought: ToolBox (Huawei App) - is that the app which puts the powercontrol stuff into the status bar?

If so, could well be risky to uninstall that.

I'd reinstall it, but you'll never guess what I didn't do......

Edited by gsf600y

Guest gsf600y

Running B888 Rom now :) One way around it!

EDIT: My god, the 3 buttons on the bottom are SO much more responsive! And there's no Vodafone junk on B888 either.

Edited by gsf600y

Guest gsf600y

I had that issue with other installers, and found Titanium worked ok. Not sure what error means exactly.

If you're thinking about a new ROM, it's amazingly easy to do. I just downloaded B888 ROM from http://www.modaco.com/topic/353923-new-b888-rom-from-huawei-download-link-inside/, unzipped, copied dload folder onto root of SD card, insert SD card into phone, then launched the update process from the Settings>Storage>Software Upgrade>SD card Upgrade menu option.

That's it.

The improvement in the bottom 3 buttons was entirely worth it for me - I found they work not working about 33% of the time. Now it's 100%.