[ROM][GEN2/3][31.10.] CyanogenMod 9 - KonstaKANG (Android 4.0.4)

Guest KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

This ROM is a self-build from CyanogenMod 9 sources. It's trimmed down to fit more reasonable partition sizes (see 2nd post for TPTs). It can be considered as bleeding edge as it's built with latest CM9 repo synced, yet unmerged patches from CM gerrit and few additional features. This ROM is mainly for GEN2 devices (see 2nd post on how to update to GEN2) but there is a patch to add support for GEN3 devices (see 2nd post). This ROM is for advanced users only.

Screenshot_2012-06-15-12-47-22.png Screenshot_2012-06-15-12-49-42.png Screenshot_2012-06-15-12-47-54.png

cm-9-20121031-KonstaKANG-blade.zip
deprecated, use cm10/10.1
md5:fb64b09327c304ff25b934c00432a0da

Recommended gapps package:

• no facelock
  • no news & weather widget
  • no TTS
  • working voice search (2.1.4)

gapps-ics-medium-20120429-signed.zip
deprecated, use cm10/10.1
md5:622c40820cd1706b0fe38889beab3e64

Features:

• removed wallpapers, live wallpapers and some ringtones
  • removed bootanimation
  • removed text-to-speech (download from the play shop, Settings -> Language and input -> Text-to-speech output -> Pico TTS)
  • removed ROM manager (can be downloaded from the play shop)
  • removed video editor
  • removed apollo, stock ICS music player instead
  • removed few LatinIME dictionaries (da, hr, iw, ka)
  • transparent notification area
  • center clock on lockscreen
  • blue sms icon
  • silenced low battery sound
  • V889D market fingerprint
  • enabled option for low battery notification LED
  • enabled option for screen on animation
  • working barcode scanner
  • tweaked low battery warning levels (warning shown at 15% and 5%)
  • allow BACK key to reject incoming call

system size with medium gapps ~131mb

Added settings:

Current gerrit patches:

• Volume adjust sound preference (1,2)
  • Option to adjust navbar glow animation duration (1,2)
  • Bottom statusbar (1,2)
  • Brightness toast panel - dialog displayed showing brightness when using statusbar brightness control (1)
  • Add option to disable camera shutter sound (1,2)
  • Hardware key customisation settings (1,2)
  • Mms: fixes battery drainage while receiving Mms with data connection off (1)
  • Options to set the grid size in the app drawer. (1)
  • I/O scheduler settings (1,2)

Known issues:

• option to show/hide navigation bar (Settings -> System -> Show navigation bar)
  • option to disable boot animation for faster boot time (Settings -> Performance -> Disable boot animation)
  • link to this forum page (Settings -> About device -> KonstaKANG)
  • partition info (Settings -> Partition info, thanks to Squadzone)
  • options to hide items from power menu (Settings -> System -> Power menu)
  • option to use VOLUME UP as camera shutter button, press to focus - release to take the photo, start/stop video recording (Camera -> Settings -> Volume shutter)
  • option to exit to home screen after a call instead of call log (Phone -> Settings -> Exit to home screen, ported from AOKP)
  • option to center clock (Settings -> System -> Status bar -> Center clock, thanks to AOKP)
  • hot reboot dialog in show/hide navbar setting, shorter reboot time after enabling/disabling the soft keys (ported from AOKP)
  • option to change status bar transparency (Settings -> System -> Status bar -> Status bar transparency, thanks to AOKP)
  • MIUI-style battery bar (Settings -> System -> Status bar -> Battery status style -> Status bar, thanks to Spitemare)
  • option to hide alarm icon in status bar (Settings -> System -> Status bar -> Show alarm icon)
  • hot reboot option in power menu
  • volume key cursor control in framework, works with third party keyboards (Settings -> Language & input -> Volume key cursor control)
  • option for circle battery (Settings -> System -> Status bar -> Battery status style -> Circle)
  • FM radio
  • Native wifi tethering - use an external app
  • Occasional blank screen in gmail app (and facebook?)

Sources:

Credits & gratitude:

• Thanks to CyanogenMod Team & especially Tom Giordano
  • Thanks to wbaw for the TPT method
  • Thanks to Amphoras and cpg for the G2 TPT method
Edited by KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

Gen1 TPT for optimised partition layout:
This will only work in european phones that were sold with gen1 layout (eclair) and/or updated to gen2 via TPT method. This TPT won't work if your phone was sold gen2/gen3 or you have used a windows tool to update.

Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-KonstaKANG.zip
n/a
md5:c5201d683b1b760f9b5dd94d3be4ef19

Gen2 TPT for optimised partition layout:
This will only work in european phones that were sold with gen2 layout (froyo) or if you have used a windows tool to update.

G2-TPT-KonstaKANG.zip
n/a
md5:6b4f47c4c3784d1018a3d4daef0a7f98

TPT instructions:

• Copy cm-9-xxxxxxxx-KonstaKANG-blade.zip and gapps-ics-medium-xxxxxxxx-signed.zip to your sdcard
  • Unpack Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-KonstaKANG.zip or G2-TPT-KonstaKANG.zip to your phones sdcard so that you have 'image' folder on the root of your sdcard
  • Install AFV (Android File Verifier) from the play shop
  • Use AFV to check that MD5 matches. Use 'verify nandroid backup' option to check /sdcard/image/nandroid.md5.
  • Power off, pull battery out, put battery back in
  • Press and hold VOLUME UP and MENU keys while you power on
  • You should see green text on your screen. Installation is in progress and you can let go of the keys
  • It takes about a minute after which your phone will boot into ClockWorkMod
  • Install cm-9-xxxxxxxx-KonstaKANG-blade.zip in CWM
  • Install gapps-ics-medium-xxxxxxxx-signed.zip in CWM
  • Reboot

After completed installation, delete/move/rename 'image' folder so that you don't restart TPT by accident.

GEN3 support:
Converts this ROM to work in devices that were sold with gen3 layout (gingerbread) or if you have used an official package (image.bin) to update. Flash the patch in ClockWorkMod after installing the ROM.

CM9-KonstaKANG-GEN3.zip
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24591000424952119
md5:827b554fe54979c8d13dfd52767f7261

Edited by KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

Merged commits not mentioned in the changelog.

31.10. changelog:

• fixed Youtube HQ (thanks to Ganster)
  • fixed possible connection drops
  • fixed possible bluetooth issues

29.9. changelog:

• version bump to 9.1
  • Do not allow intents to initiate special char sequence handling (merged, fixes possible USSD issue)
  • I/O scheduler settings (1,2)
  • couple of small changes to volume key cursor control

27.8. changelog:

• fixed panorama mode in camera
  • added option for circle battery (Settings -> System -> Status bar -> Battery status style -> Circle)
  • moved volume key cursor control to framework, works now with third party keyboards (Settings -> Language & input -> Volume key cursor control)

8.8. changelog:

• added hot reboot option to power menu
  • improved partition info (EXT info should now work with all a2sd methods)

22.7 changelog:

• updated option to reverse volume key logic on cursor control

15.7. changelog:

• hide ISO mode and focus sound options from camera settings
  • allow BACK key to reject incoming call
  • Camera: Force reload popup settings (1) (fixes the messy camera settings)

10.7. changelog:

• Camera: add burst mode (up to 20 shots) (1)
  • ZTE Blade: Make the sensors.c return the correct Accelerator device name (1)
  • Trebuchet: Options to set the grid size in the app drawer. (1)

8.7 changelog:

• added MIUI-style battery bar (Settings -> System -> Status bar -> Battery status style -> Status bar, thanks to Spitemare)
  • added option to hide alarm icon in status bar (Settings -> System -> Status bar -> Show alarm icon)
  • Mms: fixes battery drainage while receiving Mms with data connection off (1)
  • removed Apollo, back with stock ICS music player

3.7 changelog:

• added GEN3 support (thanks to Snap.IT for sorting out the GPS and testing)
  • further improved center clock
  • added option to change status bar transparency (Settings -> System -> Status bar -> Status bar transparency, thanks to AOKP)
  • removed profile power widget option (needs rebase)
  • removed volume rocker wake option (doesn't work on our device)
  • Hardware key customisation settings (1,2)
  • set safe headset volume option by default to off (when enabled causes an issue where audio levels are always lowered to 55%)
  • Fix sluggish to launch an app (1)

27.6. changelog:

• added option to center clock (Settings -> System -> Status bar -> Center clock, thanks to AOKP)
  • added hot reboot dialog to show/hide navbar setting, shorter reboot time after enabling/disabling the soft keys (ported from AOKP)
  • increased number of remaining characters (30) before counter is shown in SMS app
  • updated market fingerprint (ZTE V889D)

24.6. changelog:

• option to use VOLUME UP as camera shutter button, press to focus - release to take the photo, start/stop video recording (Camera -> Settings -> Volume shutter)
  • option to exit to home screen after call instead of call log (Phone -> Settings -> Exit to home screen, ported from AOKP)
  • set back key kill app delay to 1500ms
  • updated terminal emulator

20.6. changelog:

• upstream long press back kill improvements and timeout decrease (which takes us right back to where it always was with this ROM ;))
  • option to disable camera shutter sound
  • options to hide items from power menu (Settings -> System -> Power menu)
  • tweaked low battery warning levels (warning shown at 15% and 5%)

17.6. changelog:

• added forum link to Settings -> About device
  • added partition info under Settings -> Partition info (thanks to Squadzone)
  • removed few LatinIME dictionaries (da, hr, iw, ka)

initial release:

• trimmed of useless stuff (wallpapers, live wallpapers, ringtones, bootanimation, video editor, ROM manager, TTS, etc)
  • few appearance tweaks (sms icon, transparent notification area, center lockscreen layout)
  • barcode scanner, silenced low battery notification, N880E market fingerprint, etc
  • enabled few more options (screen on animation, low battery notification LED)
  • option to show/hide navigation bar (Settings -> System -> Show navigation bar)
  • option to disable boot animation for faster boot time (Settings -> Performance -> Disable boot animation)
Edited by KonstaT

Guest mark ryan

well hopefully there will be progress to make this rom even better, hope we can finally get the files to make hardware decoding possible for arm6 soon :)

Guest sal.fresco

Hi KonstaT,

Another great ROM. Tried it yesterday, but there were 3 slight problems, no wifi,theme option and clock allways FC'd.

Opening Wifi settings the slider to enable/disable wifi was greyed out, so no option to turn it on.

Is this a complete noob on my part, or is a known issue with the rom?

On the other hand it was very smooth, fast and

Anyways, i'm back to SS RLS7, but will try again this one on the weekend.

Regards

Sal

Guest KonstaT

well hopefully there will be progress to make this rom even better, hope we can finally get the files to make hardware decoding possible for arm6 soon

Sorry, I don't see much chance that happening ever.

Edit. And I meant the OMX. :P There is still some hope that this ROM will get better with time in some other way. ;)

Hi KonstaT,

Another great ROM. Tried it yesterday, but there were 3 slight problems, no wifi,theme option and clock allways FC'd.

Opening Wifi settings the slider to enable/disable wifi was greyed out, so no option to turn it on.

Is this a complete noob on my part, or is a known issue with the rom?

On the other hand it was very smooth, fast and

Anyways, i'm back to SS RLS7, but will try again this one on the weekend.

Regards

Sal

Did you wipe? All three should work and work just fine for me.

Guest sal.fresco

Did you wipe? All three should work and work just fine for me.

Yeah, did wipe Dalvik (only).

But as I said, I'll give it another go later today or tomorrow.

Thanks for you prompt reply.

Cant wait to try this ROM out! :D

Edit:What about A2SD? It is already in the ROM or do we have to flash the CFX A2SD zip?

Edited by ZTR

Guest KonstaT

Edit:What about A2SD? It is already in the ROM or do we have to flash the CFX A2SD zip?

No need to flash anything. Just install S2E from the play shop. If the options are greyed out on the first time, go to S2E settings and tick 'Mount as ext4' and reboot. Tick the Applications and Private apps boxes, reboot and never worry about it again. ;) This way a2sd script is stored where it's supposed to be (/data/local/userinit.d) and it's preserved during ROM updates. That worked for me at least, don't know how link2sd would work.

Also there is no reason to include ad-free hosts file in this ROM. If someone wants to block ads, just install ad-free from the play shop and let it install the hosts file (you can even uninstall the app after that if you want). Hosts file is also backed up and preserved during ROM updates so you don't have to do it again after every update.

No need to flash anything. Just install S2E from the play shop. If the options are greyed out on the first time, go to S2E settings and tick 'Mount as ext4' and reboot. Tick the Applications and Private apps boxes, reboot and never worry about it again. This way a2sd script is stored where it's supposed to be (/data/local/userinit.d) and it's preserved during ROM updates. That worked for me at least, don't know link2sd would work.

Good to know :)

Edited by ZTR

Guest KonstaT

Is there anyway to reduce the duration for "hold back to kill app"? It is much longer in this ROM than all others that I've used.

No, I increased it for a reason. It shouldn't be used anyway unless you're using it to kill some misbehaving app. Use the ICS multi-tasking view to close unneeded apps.

There is a patch in the gerrit that will make the delay even longer than it is here.

Guest ufizo

Top work!

Glad to see your ICS-kang here.

Just one question: Are you sure about 2mb /cache ?

I have read tomG mention that it may cause some problems with PlayStore and ROM manager app.

Guest targetbsp

Top work!

Glad to see your ICS-kang here.

Just one question: Are you sure about 2mb /cache ?

I have read tomG mention that it may cause some problems with PlayStore and ROM manager app.

2mb is fine. Play won't even use the cache if it is that small. And I think it was sej who was having trouble with rom manager?

Guest matt4321

I see you finally made a thread for this! I was watching it progress in the compiling cm9 thread. Great work man! But get ready for the 100's of 'how do i tpt?' questions.

Guest Snap.IT

I'm loving it. I prefer it to every other build i have tried and i've tried them all, it's stable and swift.

I'll leave you alone with the OMX stuff by stating once that there are two projects worth looking at but i know you already know that so...

Guest HumaDroid

not able to TPT... i did everything till verifying nandoid md5..

I press and hold menu keys+vol up + power button.... but its booting normally..

Guest Snap.IT

not able to TPT... i did everything till verifying nandoid md5..

I press and hold menu keys+vol up + power button.... but its booting normally..

What GEN? Install Blade Checker from market (or play as it called nowadays) and tell us.

If it's GEN1 or GEN3 you're going to need another procedure.

Guest Snap.IT

TPT for optimised partition layout:

-updates gen1->gen2

-repartitions internal storage (138mb /system, 316mb /data, 2mb /cache)

-installs ClockWorkMod 5.5.0.4

-installs CM9-Cid splash image

TPT instructions:

-Copy cm-9-xxxxxxxx-KonstaKANG-blade.zip and gapps-ics-medium-xxxxxxxx-signed.zip to your sdcard

-Unpack Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-KonstaKANG.zip to your phones sdcard so that you have 'image' folder on the root of your sdcard

-Install AFV (Android File Verifier) from the play shop

-Use AFV to check that MD5 matches. Use 'verify nandroid backup' option to check /sdcard/image/nandroid.md5.

-Power off, pull battery out, put battery back in

-Press and hold VOLUME UP and MENU keys while you power on

-You should see green text on your screen. Installation is in progress and you can let go of the keys

-It takes about a minute after which your phone will boot into ClockWorkMod

-Install cm-9-xxxxxxxx-KonstaKANG-blade.zip in CWM

-Install gapps-ics-medium-xxxxxxxx-signed.zip in CWM

-Reboot

After completed installation, delete/move/rename 'image' folder so that you don't restart TPT by accident.

Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-KonstaKANG.zip

http://www.mediafire...xo48gggql67b5kd

md5:c5201d683b1b760f9b5dd94d3be4ef19

For GEN3 you'll need to install the moldova patch to make it work, you should probably mention that.

It's the same patch you used for SS.

And downgrading to GEN2 doesn't work no matter what TPT you provide, it will provide you with a problem that can only be fixed by reflashing an original ROM or upgrading via GEN3 windows patch.

I have no idea why people keep insisting it will work, it doesn't, not even once in a trillion times will it work. You'll end up with a blue screen with white stripes EVERY time.

Edited by Snap.IT

Guest HumaDroid

What GEN? Install Blade Checker from market (or play as it called nowadays) and tell us.

If it's GEN1 or GEN3 you're going to need another procedure.

Stock/Windows Upgraded GEN2

also says

Use image.bin style TPTs

Edited by HumaDroid