This is a how to for stripping down the phone, not how to replace the screen as I failed- details soon!
1. Remove the back cover and battery.
2. Remove the 4 screws (torx) which are located at the ends of the white "bumpers"/end covers. One of mine had a white skin over it which was just lifter off. The various buttons are connected to the bumpers and don't fall out.
IMAG0156.jpg 57.88KB 228 downloads
3. There are then 4 further screws (torx) in the grey case, one in each corner.
IMAG0157.jpg 67.46KB 232 downloads
4a. Next prise apart the bottom grey part from the silver top part holding the screen glass. The connectors are of the clip together (one part over another) variety. BE CAREFUL- I wasn't and ripped off a connecting ribbon cable situated at top of the front silver cover as I prised the halves apart. It looks as though this ribbon cable CANNOT be disconnected so the two parts remain connected by this ribbon!
IMAG0140.jpg 35.37KB 241 downloads
IMAG0142.jpg 40.39KB 269 downloads
IMAG0147.jpg 65.29KB 281 downloads DOH!
4b At the bottom of the half containing the screen is the circuit board containing the microphone. Remove the 3 screws (cross head). Be careful as the microphone wire remains attached (I didn't cock this bit up!) The circuit board is also plugged into the screen via a removable ribbon connector.
IMAG0149.jpg 66.69KB 245 downloads
IMAG0150.jpg 71.32KB 229 downloads
5. You will now be able to get between the silver face and the circuit board. From behind the glass push it firmly outwards. It is held on by a double sided sticky foam gasket. The gasket will rip and will need replacing. One was NOT provided with the screen.
IMAG0155.jpg 57.83KB 214 downloads
The rest is theoretical as I'd already made an unattractive paperweight out of the handset!
6. Obtain/made a new gasket, strip away old gasket and fit new screen.
7. Reverse strip down process to re-assemble.
Knowing what I know now I wouldn't dream of attempting this again. I would keep it for parts and buy a new one.
If you're very good at this sort of thing and can get or make bespoke gaskets etc then you should be okay.
Hope this helps someone!
Edited by andysalmon, 01 September 2012 - 12:29 PM.