Screen Replacement- Fail

Guest andysalmon

Guest andysalmon

My wife dropped her (then) 2 week old G300 on it's edge and despite a protective case the screen cracked, it was still perfectly useable just ugly. I spotted a replacement screen on eBay recently for £20 delivered so thought I would give it a go. I couldn't find anything on a strip down using my goggle fu, so I thought I'd do one :wacko:

This is a how to for stripping down the phone, not how to replace the screen as I failed- details soon!

1. Remove the back cover and battery.

2. Remove the 4 screws (torx) which are located at the ends of the white "bumpers"/end covers. One of mine had a white skin over it which was just lifter off. The various buttons are connected to the bumpers and don't fall out.

post-2786-0-03612700-1346499848_thumb.jp

3. There are then 4 further screws (torx) in the grey case, one in each corner.

post-2786-0-80121100-1346499942_thumb.jp

4a. Next prise apart the bottom grey part from the silver top part holding the screen glass. The connectors are of the clip together (one part over another) variety. BE CAREFUL- I wasn't and ripped off a connecting ribbon cable situated at top of the front silver cover as I prised the halves apart. It looks as though this ribbon cable CANNOT be disconnected so the two parts remain connected by this ribbon!

post-2786-0-23925300-1346500043_thumb.jp

post-2786-0-45463300-1346500104_thumb.jp

post-2786-0-88985500-1346500239_thumb.jp DOH!

4b At the bottom of the half containing the screen is the circuit board containing the microphone. Remove the 3 screws (cross head). Be careful as the microphone wire remains attached (I didn't cock this bit up!) The circuit board is also plugged into the screen via a removable ribbon connector.

post-2786-0-90564000-1346500307_thumb.jp

post-2786-0-56377600-1346500339_thumb.jp

5. You will now be able to get between the silver face and the circuit board. From behind the glass push it firmly outwards. It is held on by a double sided sticky foam gasket. The gasket will rip and will need replacing. One was NOT provided with the screen.

post-2786-0-78050800-1346500421_thumb.jp

The rest is theoretical as I'd already made an unattractive paperweight out of the handset!

6. Obtain/made a new gasket, strip away old gasket and fit new screen.

7. Reverse strip down process to re-assemble.

Knowing what I know now I wouldn't dream of attempting this again. I would keep it for parts and buy a new one.

If you're very good at this sort of thing and can get or make bespoke gaskets etc then you should be okay.

Hope this helps someone!

Edited by andysalmon

Ive just done this and for a gasket I used clear silicone to bond the screen back in. Leave it overnight to cure before attempting to re-assemble though.

I used a hair dryer and plastic scraper to get the old screen out.

I left the top ribbon connected and opened it up like it was hinged.

Phone is working as new so it is possible. ;-)

Edited by shawn0

Guest shweeney

nice one guys - have to strip mine down to try and repair/remove the vibrator (see my other thread) - good to have some pics and tips in advance (sorry it didn't work out for you @andysalmon)

Guest shweeney

ok - I've got as far as separating the grey plastic section from the front section containing the screen. On my phone there doesn't appear to be a ribbon cable connecting them together at the top but there is a ribbon cable connecting them together in the middle which runs behind the big label (see pics) - did you guys come across this? I can't separate the halves if I can't disconnect this cable.

EDIT: this cable was actually attached to the SIM housing and the grey plastic shell just needed a wiggle to be released. Got the vibrator removed but it appears the GSM is hosed so it no longer works as phone. Pics on my other thread

post-862531-0-77637800-1347457887_thumb.

post-862531-0-98380500-1347457903_thumb.

Edited by shweeney

Fixed my new screen down with multi-purpose clear adhesive (Wickes). Managed to get the original foam screen border off in one piece as well, so that went back in. For some reason the vibrator is at about 80% of original power when I hold the "volume down" button. Everything else seems to be fine, touch wood.

• 1 month later...
Guest princeotter

I am yet another butterfingers that dropped their G300 and cracked the glass. I have just ordered a new glass for mine off Ebay but, having now read how tricky this replacement seems to be (should have researched before placing order I guess), am regretting doing so. And also having already ordered the new glass I suddenly remembered I had some screen protectors for my iPod Touch that I hadn't used - stuck one on and, although not a perfect fit, it is holding the cracks in place and the phone is really quite usable. Not sure if I now want to attempt to change the glass as, at the moment, at least I have a functioning phone. I did buy a new G300 so maybe I shall get an Ovivo Sim and use this as a tethering device. Anyone found any other tips or videos of how to replace the glass without trashing the phone?

Edited by princeotter

• 1 month later...
Guest RaoulTeeuwen

As my daughter dropped her G300 i was looking for clear instructions to replace the screen and found

Also found http://www.etradesup...scend-g300.html for a replacement screen. And http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale/wholesale-g300-digitizer.html?SearchText=g300%2Bdigitizer&CatId=0&manual=y&SortType=price_asc&filterCat=200003077,5904002,1909&groupsort=1 , where i even see an offer that looks like it will save you from the problems with sticky tape etc: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wholesaler-For-Huawei-G300-Touch-Screen-Digitizer/720870964.html (but you have to buy 10 pieces :-( ).

Edited by RaoulTeeuwen

Hi,

I need to replace my digitser too and was wondering if this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5mm-Scotch-3M-Double-Sided-Tape-for-Ipad-1-Ipad-2-Ipad-3-ipad-4-repair-fix-/140895738758?pt=Other_Tablet_eReader_Accessories&hash=item20ce0a5b86) is what you need to bond the screen back in? If so, what width should I buy as it comes in 1mm, 2mm, 3mm, 5mm? Or as suggested above is it better to use silicone sealant/clear adhesive?

Thanks

• 2 months later...
Guest kajencik

Hello, I have this phone but with broken power button, can someone if it is on the PCB or part of the screen? I'm not sure from the images and videos I have seen so far. Also, will I be able to replace it myself?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jenda.69

Hello guys! My girlfriend has broken glass on her G300 recently, so I did some resarch, primarily in this topic, and few days ago I sucessfully replaced whole front frame.

Frame can be bought on eBay for about 12 GBP (~ 18 USD) and replacement is fairly simple.

I originally wrote short guide in czech but I thought it could be useful even for people abroad so I translated it to english.

You can find it here: http://www.ovecka.ma...ei-ascend-g300/

Edited by jenda.69

Guest jenda.69

stanik: It took about 20 days to arrive in CZ. Stuff from China or HK usually arrives in 25 days or less. And I think this could be the same or even faster in UK. If it takes more than 30 days, I'm contacting seller.

Edited by jenda.69

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Frankish

This is a how to for stripping down the phone, not how to replace the screen as I failed- details soon!

1. Remove the back cover and battery.

2. Remove the 4 screws (torx) which are located at the ends of the white "bumpers"/end covers. One of mine had a white skin over it which was just lifter off. The various buttons are connected to the bumpers and don't fall out.

3. There are then 4 further screws (torx) in the grey case, one in each corner.

4a. Next prise apart the bottom grey part from the silver top part holding the screen glass. The connectors are of the clip together (one part over another) variety. BE CAREFUL- I wasn't and ripped off a connecting ribbon cable situated at top of the front silver cover as I prised the halves apart. It looks as though this ribbon cable CANNOT be disconnected so the two parts remain connected by this ribbon!

post-2786-0-23925300-1346500043_thumb.jp

post-2786-0-45463300-1346500104_thumb.jp

post-2786-0-88985500-1346500239_thumb.jp DOH!

4b At the bottom of the half containing the screen is the circuit board containing the microphone. Remove the 3 screws (cross head). Be careful as the microphone wire remains attached (I didn't cock this bit up!) The circuit board is also plugged into the screen via a removable ribbon connector.

5. You will now be able to get between the silver face and the circuit board. From behind the glass push it firmly outwards. It is held on by a double sided sticky foam gasket. The gasket will rip and will need replacing. One was NOT provided with the screen.

The rest is theoretical as I'd already made an unattractive paperweight out of the handset!

6. Obtain/made a new gasket, strip away old gasket and fit new screen.

7. Reverse strip down process to re-assemble.

Knowing what I know now I wouldn't dream of attempting this again. I would keep it for parts and buy a new one.

If you're very good at this sort of thing and can get or make bespoke gaskets etc then you should be okay.

Hope this helps someone!

Just replaced a screen seemingly successfully for a family member and have a few comments.

4a. This part with the two pieces connected, the ribbon you ripped appears to be the power button cable, this is actually just stuck to the other half and i peeled it off to separate the two parts. When putting back together i simply *sort of* stuck it back in place and re-assembled. It's working fine.

4b. If by microphone wire you mean the long white cable connecting the two parts it actually pops out of its socket from either end much like an iPhone 4 GSM antenna cable. When re-assembling you simply pop them back in.

5. I never stuck the screen back in and i can't seem to see a reason too? I just popped it in place and put it all back together as once the glass is on it's held in place anyway. Touchscreen is working fine etc so i don't think you really need to.

All in all it's much easier and much less screws than n iPhone 4 screen replacement of which ive only done 3. But it's definitely worth doing. Best to be in a VERY dust free environment too as there will end up being dust trapped under the screen if not.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ultrak3wl

I previously managed to do a screen replacement on a ZTE Blade but I was really worried about this one thanks to previous stories. Need not have been concerned though as it went quite well and was all done in about an hour and a half, and that was taking it very very slow at every stage. A shame the OP tore the ribbon cable for the power switch as that is really falling at the last fence but it's true just unstick it from the plastic bit with a knife blade or something. For anyone planning to disassemble their G300 I recommend first watching the Russian video mentioned earlier.

I found fingermarks on the inside of the screen when I took it apart which does not say a lot for Huawei quality control!

• 2 months later...
Guest mdwsmith

I successfully fixed my screen, however first time I damaged the aerial connector - the white cable with silver bands on the RHS of the phone looking from the back.

On screwing it together the screw damaged the connector. This is because the cable is routed around a screwhole.

The lesson is to make sure on reassembly the cable is not over the hole or pinched by screwing the phone together.

The symptoms were total loss of mobile signal - so those who have reassembled the phone and don't have a signal could check this cable.

The cable was not on ebay but googling for huawei ascend g300 cable found some suppliers for around 5GBP.

Hope this helps

Edited by mdwsmith