how many people still use their omnia2 (i8000 etc) phone ?

Guest argentinos

the purpose of this subject is to measure how many people still own and use their omnia2 phones, so developers can see how many we are and continue their efforts

My main idea is to convince companies to publish an html5 browser that lacks on win mo 6.5.x and developers to evolve cyanogenmod6 (froyo) for Omnia2 phones and even try to port android 2.3 for our phone that is possible and almost perfectly working on similar phones (i5700 spica)

So i am starting, owning a GT-i8000 8GB omnia2 phone

your participation is essential if you want your phones to be supported

Edited by argentinos

Guest Speedfrog

I think most people have moved on and Samsung have stopped updating the phone, so it would be hard to get the html5 browser.

Guest argentinos

I think most people have moved on and Samsung have stopped updating the phone, so it would be hard to get the html5 browser.

Correct, but not 100%. The emerging markets still use this phone very much. This phone is still sold as new (from stock) in asian countries.

Html5 browser is not a dream

Just see these

http://www.zetakey.com/index.php

http://www.intermec....tml5/index.aspx

(this Intermec HTML5 Browser (WEH CAB) ver. 1.0.0.0 fits our operating system - compatible with wm 6.1 and wm 6.5)

Also as you know android 2.3 is not a far dream too. just see these

http://pdadb.net/ind...ted=1&cpu=a6410

http://forum.samdroi...0-android-phone

Android 2.3 is running awesome on the same hardware i5700 phone

Android 2.3 is also running awesome on HD2 that was born as a wm phone too

So why we can not combine them and make a usable phone. I am not talking about a flagship phone, but a simple phone, but with many characteristics that normal users can use for their every day job and fun.

I am already working on these projects. I have red that you are very good about computers and if you want we can work together. others can follow too

Here in europe economic crisis is striking more and more hard, in USA and other western civilization economies it will strike very soon. Think that giving a little more life on this phone we help medium/low income families to continue doing their job and fun without the need of spending money for a new phone. This is my goal and i try to achieve it either on wimo or on android.

Edited by argentinos

Guest Speedfrog

im sorry argentinos, i cant help you. I have moved over to a sony xperia ray and i have almost forgot everything about this phone. Last time i worked with roms was back in 2010/start of 11.

Guest argentinos

thanks SpeedFrog. So if anyone wants to try help it any of the above mentioned projects i can provide him the neccesary tools.

If you do not have the time or knowledge you can still help as testers. Do not worry. Following the manual will not damage your phone. the community just wants you to test programs, incompatibilities etc that it impossible one user to tet all. For example say "gps is not working on my Garmin"

So we can search what is the problem and try fix it.

So anyone developer or tester ?

Even if you do not with to participate on the above at least vote to show others our will to keep our phone alive

Edited by argentinos

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hanma

My dad has B7610 OmniaPRO and I have I8000 the 16GB version: so you can count us both in as testers. While I do have some free time ( a lot of it, actually), as much as I'd love to I don't have the knowledge for developing - something that I assume requires a lot of it.

Anyway, I love the phone and would rather that I never have to change it. A bit unrealistic, but with people like you around I can certainly prolong its life.

So, I'll send you a PM with my e-mail, for quicker communication and just in case I forget to check up on the thread.

Edited by Hanma

Guest argentinos

My dad has B7610 OmniaPRO and I have I8000 the 16GB version: so you can count us both in as testers. While I do have some free time ( a lot of it, actually), as much as I'd love to I don't have the knowledge for developing - something that I assume requires a lot of it.

Anyway, I love the phone and would rather that I never have to change it. A bit unrealistic, but with people like you around I can certainly prolong its life.

So, I'll send you a PM with my e-mail, for quicker communication and just in case I forget to check up on the thread.

Thanks. for your reply. so until now we only have windows mobile 6.5.3 on our phone

The last evolution we can make about windows is port a version of 6.5.5 (already some people did that) and modify it to 2013 requirements

We can not port windows phone 7 or 8 since we can not find drivers for them and it is very difficult to write/patch them almost from zero point.

So our other option is to port android.

The best we have until now is maybe frenkiedroid (cyanogen mod version 6)

almost everything working quite fast as i tested, with some curable bug on wi-fi and gps that is not locking satelites. i am trying to fix it.

Another version is froyo beta 2 and beta 3 http://o2droid.phj.hu/index_en.php and

https://sites.google.com/site/proyectobyte/Blog/how-to-install-android-for-omnia2-beta3(different android aproach - aosp like)

there is where you can help as a tester. you can flash frenkeidroid or froyo on your phone and try frenkeidroid or this one http://code.google.com/p/omnia2droid/downloads/list on your father's phone and also connect on https://play.google.com/store and try installing different GPS fixing applications to see their effect on the phone and if help them find and lock satelites. Post your results here or on another thread you will open.

P.S. You can learn many things about your phone and android by reading sites about similar hardware phones as these

http://www.jetdroid.org/ (s8000) and http://forum.samdroid.net/forum.php#samsung-spica-i5700-android-phone

attention do not try flash exactly the same way as these sites say !!!! i mention them as a path of knowledge about our phone's hardawre.

P.S.2 there is another option we can see Firefox Os on our phone (since it supports ARM6 cpu), but we must first see these kind of phones so we can clone their drivers

• 2 weeks later...
Guest prosxpal

still using o2 2gb.

honestly i don't think any company would provide any further product for win mo 6.5.

there are few apps i use. i use twitter, opera mini, calcudoku,notepad, navigation, tcmp etc. I'd like to have messageme,whatsapp and some other popular apps. the hardware is strong but there is no chance they release an app for an outdated OS. small or big, companies want to make profit and I think they can't with this OS. so it doesn't matter they still sell these phones somewhere in the planet. any manager,ceo would see this as this is. old. outdated. no profit. rejected.

if you still use your o2, accept your phone is OLD, take good care and use it until it doesn't satisfy your needs. then buy another phone meeting your demands.

don't get me wrong, I still love my o2 and use it everyday. it has some flaws but whatsapp,instagram etc are not on top of my needs. so I'm not changing my phone and spend any $$$.

I'll use it until it's broken or my needs change or any other reasonable cause I have.

For now, it still works!

this is my opinion...

Guest argentinos

Noone believes that we can convince big companies that have stopped supporting our phone and operating system to start developing for it again. The main purpose it to convince those companies that have remained to continue support us as long as possible. Microsoft, should be one of them at least let us keep messenger that wants to stop etc. After all wm is her product and abandoned us so quickly.

So what we can do is keep the existing companies. Also try to convince companies that sell some products to give them for free download. For example some very good htlm5 browses or message apps etc. all for wm We can also keep our developers or we evolve to developers and serve our phones and our lives. After all most developers moto is that they develop first for themselves, and this is the reason they share their job for free to the community.

Do not stuck with specific programs. There are still many alternatives to do our job. Even on IOS or Android you can not find all the apps. Some apps that you can find on IOS you can not find on Android and vise versa. So you fulfill your needs with alternative apps.

The point is cover our needs. Of course i have no obsession with my phone. It is only a machine that someday will not cover my needs and will be replaced. But this day haven't come yet. Long live I8000 !!!!!

p.s. can you help all of you reading this thread in porting CM7 on our phone. I am trying, but as you know it is not very easy for one man show...

Edited by argentinos

• 1 year later...
Guest darksilentwings

I still use my Omnia2 with the latest WIN6.5 version. I tried Android and it worked really great, but the accupower was so bad, that I turned back to WIN6.5.

I'm really interested to test ubuntu phone or firefox OS on the good old omnia. Hopefully someone will try to get it working.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest darksilentwings

Another interesting topic would be to run the raspian (debian) or another ARM specific Linux distro on the omnia2. The raspian image runs already from SD card and on ARM architecture. The great android developers got nearly everything working (drivers) on the omnia2 and android os. Is there a way to combine that stuff and built a debian for omnia2? That would be also a good useage for the omnia2.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mhd juha

Really sad for neglecting my beloved O2, l believe it's a great device, and it was a good competent for the HD2,

Unfortunately the HTC customers was that time much more figure than Samsung's, and I think, and believe that Samsung became what it is now because of us, yes O2 holders, it is the 1st amoled device,

I will keep my O2 and be more faithful to it than his mother Samsung.

I encourage all O2 owners & developers to keep working on it as it is really a great device.

• 7 months later...

even though I just brought an international s3 I'm still enjoying my omnia 2 fully (on 3G for the first time.... can't do much since app support is dry but thats ok)

Romniav3 for the longest time has served me the best