Vodafone UK G510 - first thoughts.

Guest strowger

Guest strowger

Just got my G510 and now waiting on the bootloader unlock code.

It is the G510-0100 hardware, not the G510-0200 which shipped as the Orange Daytona in Spain.

The "Emotion UI" is (as you'd expect) worse than pure Android, but nothing like as bad as the reviews make out.

I'm genuinely shocked that Vodafone UK have let the device out the door in this state. It's full of Vodafone-branded apps variously in Italian, Romanian, and Hungarian. WTF?

Most of them are removeable.

Unsure why the camera app it ships with limits video recording to VGA resolution.

Guest Voxpop2011

... It's full of Vodafone-branded apps variously in Italian, Romanian, and Hungarian. WTF?

Most of them are removeable.

I wonder if it would be possible to strip all this rubbish and just have the pure vanilla Android?

Guest strowger

Unsure why the camera app it ships with limits video recording to VGA resolution.

The answer to this is that it drops frames and makes corrupt video files at any higher resolution.

I've decided to return (or possibly ebay) my g510 - mostly because I'm disappointed with the camera. The video is pretty poor (worse than my previous G300 I think - certainly no better), and stills are bad too. They're washed-out, auto-focus doesn't really work for me, and click-to-focus often doesn't do anything. There are some minor peeves as well but the camera is the dealbreaker for me.

Guest frazer_cooper

Brilliant phone for the price certainly a upgrade from my g300 im happy with my purchase :) happy customer here

Edited by frazer_cooper

Guest Andymac1969

The answer to this is that it drops frames and makes corrupt video files at any higher resolution.

I've decided to return (or possibly ebay) my g510 - mostly because I'm disappointed with the camera. The video is pretty poor (worse than my previous G300 I think - certainly no better), and stills are bad too. They're washed-out, auto-focus doesn't really work for me, and click-to-focus often doesn't do anything. There are some minor peeves as well but the camera is the dealbreaker for me.

I find the camera on the G300 shocking, the pictures it takes are truly awful, are you telling me this is worse? :o

Guest KenBW2

My yardstick is the Blade, so obviously the bar isn't set especially high but the camera for me is reasonably good. The focus is good, and the colour reproduction and brightness are reasonable. I briefly owned a Nexus 4, and it's comparable with that.

Speed wise it's fantastic. No real lags, graphics is adequate, application load times are fine. Keyboard isn't laggy at all (coming from a Blade on 4.2 this is a huge luxury!)

The phone is great - it's definitely great value for money. My only gripes are the screen size (I can't reach the corners, but 4.5" is hardly unusual these days so I'm sure I'll get used to it) and the RAM is a bit short - I'm hoping for the zRAM and/or swap solutions to these.

Very happy with it, it's great value for money. It's a £130 phone - match your expectations to that - but it's certinly good for the price.

Guest Andymac1969

My yardstick is the Blade, so obviously the bar isn't set especially high but the camera for me is reasonably good. The focus is good, and the colour reproduction and brightness are reasonable. I briefly owned a Nexus 4, and it's comparable with that.

Speed wise it's fantastic. No real lags, graphics is adequate, application load times are fine. Keyboard isn't laggy at all (coming from a Blade on 4.2 this is a huge luxury!)

The phone is great - it's definitely great value for money. My only gripes are the screen size (I can't reach the corners, but 4.5" is hardly unusual these days so I'm sure I'll get used to it) and the RAM is a bit short - I'm hoping for the zRAM and/or swap solutions to these.

Very happy with it, it's great value for money. It's a £130 phone - match your expectations to that - but it's certinly good for the price.

Thanks for the info, my G300 has been fautless in use, I have used various CM / Jelly Bean ROM's on it and love it, I am so into using Google Now, but on the G300 it can be a bit fragile.

My expectations on this phone are low, I am not a gamer, I will use it as an Internet browser, Online Radio Player, Cardio workout logger, BBC I Player/Video watching but mainly as a Sat Nav in the car, nothing that will really tax it to hard, if my G300 can do all this as a single core, the G510 should walk it.

Edited by Andymac1969

• 2 weeks later...
Guest glassblower

I've owned the G510 for a week now and finally sold my G300 to a friend. First impressions - touchscreen sensitivity is far, far better than the G300. In my opinion it was the only thing that let the G300 down. For a £130 phone the 510 ain't bad at all (knockers should bear this in mind when comparing with much more expensive devices). I don't play games but I do like to watch bbciplayer and email/surf so it really is perfect for my needs.

Awaiting the bootloader unlock from Huawei then I can root it.

Neil