Beta 13: MoDaCo.SWITCH HTC One support topic

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

switchb1-senseabout.pngswitchb1-senseswitch.pngswitchb1-gpeabout.pngswitchb1-gpeswitch.png

About MoDaCo.SWITCH

MoDaCo.SWITCH is a unique ROM concept for the HTC One which allows you to have two ROMs on your device (Sense and Google Play Edition) but maintaining a single set of data that is shared between the two.

Switch has been in development for a while now and it is rather complex internally, so we will have a number of Beta phases where we are certain to find (and hopefully fix) any issues. :)

Pre-requisites

Switch is tested on a European WWE unlocked HTC One that was originally running the 2.24 ROM. S-OFF is recommended but not mandatory. S-OFF can be achieved using the revone utility.

NOTE: This ROM is for GSM devices only.

Downloading

• Beta 13 install zip - Mirror 1 / Mirror 2 DOWNLOAD (ROMraid)- MD5: 1cb2c9b26cd3b868db24765e92a2ae19
  • Optional S-ON support package (install on top of Beta 10) - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 1bf819f200135ed25a9e3e47d0824426
  • Optional SuperSU 1.60 root package - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 36bdacd479b40a7ac5c1becb6a6b5cb1
    Installation

Switch is installed the same way as any other custom ROM, using a custom recovery - I personally use TWRP. Complete the following steps to install...
    • Copy the required zip files to /sdcard on your device
    • Power off your device by holding down the power button until it turns off
    • Enter recovery by pressing the power button while holding the volume down button and using the volume and power keys to select the 'Recovery' option
    • Select the recovery image's option to wipe data (highly recommended)
    • Select the recovery image's option to install zip and select the SWITCH Beta 12 zip
    • Select the recovery image's option to install zip and select the S-ON support package (if required)
    • Select the recovery image's option to install zip and select the root zip (if required)
    • Select the recovery image's option to reboot (important: if prompted to fix root select 'Do Not Fix')

A wipe before installing is very highly recommended at the Beta stage. Back up your current ROM / data before installation! Do NOT wipe AFTER installing. It'll break stuff. ;)

Please note that after installing, the initial boot will take a while as currently (to aid fixes) the ROM is not odexed. This affects the initial boot time and uses some additional space on /data, but is not reflective of the post Beta release.

The first time you boot to the GPe ROM the setup wizard will be launched - just step through as normal.

Root access

The Switch ROM is provided unrooted for ultimate compatibility! If you wish to have root access, flash the Switch root package above after flashing the ROM itself.

Firmware zip

If you are coming from a non-2.24 ROM and want to upgrade to the matching 2.24 hboot / radio etc., you can download the firmware.zip from this topic. You'll need S-OFF or a locked bootloader to flash the firmware. The process is completed via fastboot and should be carried out while your device is Switched to Sense mode.

Beta notes

One feature that is currently still being tested is a telephony / MMS database compatibility layer for the ROM. While this is being refined, note that the telephony and MMS databases are siloed to their ROM. Again, this will change before the final release. I personally mitigate this by using the MySMS app.

Maintaining ROM specific data

Although data is maintained between ROM switches, there are instances where you might not want this to be the case. For a launcher for example, you might want to maintain different setups for each ROM - I do this with Nova. To facilitate this, you simply need to add an exclusion file. This will be managed through the Switch app in the future, but for now simply find the package name for the app (it can be seen in the URL of the app at the Play Store - for example Nova Launcher is com.teslacoilsw.launcher) - and via ADB issue the following commands:

adb shell touch /data/SWITCH/exclude/com.teslacoilsw.launcher

Easy eh? To remove the exclusion, simply delete the file you just created.

Known issues

I'll update this list as testing proceeds, but the current known issues are as follows (all scheduled to be resolved for a future Beta):

[*]MMS / Call Log data is not shared between the ROMs (fix in testing)

And finally

If you want to support development of this and other MoDaCo projects, please consider signing up to a MoDaCo Silver or Gold account in the store! :)

Guest PaulOBrien

Frequently asked questions

First use

• When I try and Switch, I end up back in the Sense ROM. Why?
    • If this happens, try running the ADB command displayed in this post or alternatively installing the S-ON package.
      In use
      • I am getting an RPC error when trying to install apps from the Play Store
        • To resolve these, remove and re-add the affected Google account. You may need to do this for both Sense and GPe modes.
        • I have booted to GPe and my status bar has disappeared!
          • To resolve this you need to clear the SystemUI data. To do this, ensure you are in GPe mode then either use a root explorer to delete /data/data/com.android.systemui or boot to recovery (from GPe mode) and run 'adb shell rm -r /data/data/com.android.systemui'. After a reboot the problem should be resolved.
            • I want to use a third party launcher but each time I Switch, I get prompted to choose the default launcher. Can I avoid this?
              • The way to avoid this would be to ensure that the 2 ROMs have the same launchers available, i.e. by using the 'disable button' to disable all other launchers in both ROMs apart form the one you want to use. So, if you wanted to use Nova as default on both, disable 'HTC Sense' on the Sense ROM and 'Launcher' on the GPe ROM.
                • [*]I can't get xposed to install, does it work with Switch?

[*]Yes, but you need to install a special zip. Details can be found in this post

Donations

[*]Can I donate to say thank you for the ROM and to support future developments?

• Sure! The best way to do so is with a MoDaCo subscription - see the store for more details.

Guest PaulOBrien

Changelog

5th September 2013

• Beta 13 release - update using the OTA client when in Sense mode! No wipe required - This update ir primarily a critical bugfix release. Changes includes:
    • this should resolve the issue some people were having with bootloops / FCs on Switching
    • some additional room now available on /system
    • SwitchUp is now available from both the Sense and GPe sides
      29th August 2013
      • Beta 12 release - update using the OTA client when in Sense mode! No wipe required - This update brings a lot of the internal components in line with the S4 release. Changes include:
        • bin and xbin directories will no longer be lost on Switch
        • normal kernel zips can now be flashed (when in the ROM mode you wish to use it with) and it will survive switches
        • updated apps
        • updated Google Keyboard (if you have a keyboard issue first switch to GPe, go into settings and disable other keyboards)
        • accounts will no longer be wiped for new users (you will see a setup wizard the first time you boot to GPe post update, just step through the wizard)
        • sense/gpe directories are now named stock/alt
        • s-on switch zips are now signed
        • changes to support delete-on-switch as well as exclude-on-switch
          28th August 2013
          • Beta 11 release - update using the OTA client when in Sense mode! No wipe required - This update contains the 2.24.401.8 Sense side update (release version). All outdated apps are updated in this release also.
            16th August 2013
            • Beta 10 update zip released - flash over the top of any version either manually or using the OTA client (uncheck the 'wipe cache' option) when in Sense mode - this is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! No wipe required - This update contains the 4.3 GPe update (release version) including location and calendar fixes. All outdated apps are updated in this release also.
              • Beta 9 update zip released - This update contains the 4.3 GPe update (test version).
                22nd July 2013
                • Beta 8 update zip released - This update brings improvements to the OTA client and post install processing. It also limits the OTA client to the Sense ROM.

[*]Beta 7 update zip released - This update resolves an issue with accounts being lost on Switch if the application doesn't exist in both ROMs.

[*]Beta 6 update zip released - This update adds an OTA updater, Switch version in now shown in the settings - about screen, FlipSwitch is updated, contact provider is now siloed, appwidget and wallpaper are also siloed.

21st July 2013

[*]Beta 5 update zip released - This update adds com.android.providers.settings to the exclude list to maintain unique ringtones etc. between switches.

[*]Beta 4 update zip released - This update is a minor permissions fix for the Switch APK.

[*]Beta 3 update zip released - This update adds a number of small internal fixes and support for the S-ON package.

[*]Beta 2 update zip released - This update resolves the issue with package enabled / disabled states being lost on Switch.

20th July 2013

• Private Beta 1 release

Guest Brembo109

Thanks for your invite Paul. Downloading now and flashing when it´s done. Will report asap :-). I´m very excited about this.

Guest Andics

Hi Paul,

Thanks again for this, having your switch on my htc one is the reason why i'll prefer it to the galaxy s4!

I've just installed the beta1 and don the first 2/3 switches :)

All good for now..only small thing i've noticed is that the initial HTC splash screen appears 3 times before booting the google edition rom.

Andrea

Guest Spinstorm

Some bugs/observations I have noticed so far:

- Wallpaper remains across ROM if it is a stock wallpaper on both, ie, the blue android plasma live wallpaper - however if it is not stock it seems to reset for me every time to default.

- On stock the google now option isn't working when changing the menu setting to slide up, I also can't get a menu to appear when long pressing on home screen so menu seems a bit unpredictable (although this could be standard 4.2.2 HTC behaviour as I have no reference)

- Initially the customisations I made to the launchers kept being reset between ROMs as well - although that seems to have sorted itself out when I selected a stock wallpaper.

That is all I have noticed so far and they are tiny little insignificant things to far.

Amazing work to be able to go between ROMs like that! it is fantastic. Thanks!

Guest Spinstorm

Widgets seem to come and go between ROMs - in particular the clock widgets.

WiFi works fine for me and it switches fine for me.

Guest raimondomartire

Ok, flashed this night after you e-mail.

Sense rom is very smooth and i really love it but i have some problem.

1) Wifi will not work

2) The switch don't work, my phone boot always in sense rom...

So, i reflashed the rom, and, same problem...

Hope someone can help me :)

p.s. Can you Paul edit my nick in: Guich? Thanks in advance

Hi Guich also I can see your problem.

PS Thanks Paul to send me beta.

Guest gavin13

Have tried with two m7's. Voda UK and 801e. Both S-OFF. No luck on either to boot into GE.

Have tested using TWRP and CWM.

Have also changed HBoot from 1.44 to 1.54 on both

Also tried to dirty install from Sense 2.24 and GE. As expected many FC's

It looks when it boots from Sense to GE it double boots but cant seem to find the GE files/partition then continues to boot into Sense again. Could it be the partition system on our devices causing the problem?

Also mixed results on WiFi. sometimes works.

Downloaded the rom several times and installed at least a dozen times with varying install combinations. No luck at all.

PS. Thanks Paul for the opportunity to try the beta. Will keep trying.

Guest darrenjdoc

Installed and working very well. Able to switch between roms without a problem. Everything working as it should. Coming from a stock GE.

Will test the root later as I will def need it.

Great work!

Guest Brembo109

I tested a little bit last night, and everything works like it should.

These 3 Bugs are working here too:

-WIFI works

-Home-Button-Configuration works

-Switch works

The first time i flashed this I ended up on a blackscreen with no response of the phone. After 10 minutes i could reboot to recovery and wiped system too and reflashed, after that everything works.

Anything in that we/ I can test in particular?

Guest NeidRider

This is not working out for me.

- Power off through long-press

- Boot into recovery

- Wipe

- Flash zip

- Wipe dalvik/cache (have also tried w/o)

- Reboot (takes a couple of minutes)

- Even on the first boot WiFi is not working.

- Went through the HTC wizard

- Switched off Fastboot

- started Switch

- got rebooted back into sense

I've tried this four times now, including reflashes, wipes and everything, to no avail.

Edited by NeidRider

Guest PaulOBrien

I have resolved NeidRider's issue on Hangouts, if anyone else is having a problem with it not switching, could you please let me know as I am still diagnosing the exact cause.

P

Guest PaulOBrien

I've just posted a small update bringing the ROM to Beta 2. The zip can be flashed over the top of Beta 1. No wipe required. This resolves the issue with package enabled / disabled states being lost on Switch.

P

Guest PaulOBrien

Jawonder, could you try this:

adb shell /data/SWITCH/reboot
(which will reboot the device) and see if it switches on the next attempt? If not, try this:
adb shell /data/SWITCH/sense/firstrun.sense

(which will also reboot the device) and see if it switches on the next attempt?

Hopefully the first one will work, else the second certainly should.

P

Guest Andics

Paul - a small issue I'm experiencing is about the widgets in the home screen of both roms that get removed at every switch.

Not sure if this is connected to the wallpaper issues that spinstorm reported some posts above (also my wallpapers get reset at every switch)

A

Edited by Andics

Guest Lennyuk
Ok Paul so it switch to Google Edition by doing the second command-(adb shell /data/SWITCH/sense/firstrun.sense)

Basically you ran the same script manually that should normally automatically run the first time you switch.

Guest PaulOBrien

Paul - a small issue I'm experiencing is about the widgets in the home screen of both roms that get removed at every switch.

Not sure if this is connected to the wallpaper issues that spinstorm reported some posts above (also my wallpapers get reset at every switch)

A

Are these homescreen widgets that are unique to a particular ROM? Which launcher?

P

Guest PaulOBrien

I've just posted another small update bringing the ROM to Beta 3. The zip can be flashed over the top of Beta 1 or Beta 2. This adds a number of small internal fixes and enhancements for future releases.

P