MoDaCo.SWITCH is a unique ROM concept for the HTC One which allows you to have two ROMs on your device (Sense and Google Play Edition) but maintaining a single set of data that is shared between the two.
Switch has been in development for a while now and it is rather complex internally, so we will have a number of Beta phases where we are certain to find (and hopefully fix) any issues.
Switch is tested on a European WWE unlocked HTC One that was originally running the 2.24 ROM. S-OFF is recommended but not mandatory. S-OFF can be achieved using the revone utility.
NOTE: This ROM is for GSM devices only.
- Beta 13 install zip - Mirror 1 / Mirror 2 DOWNLOAD (ROMraid)- MD5: 1cb2c9b26cd3b868db24765e92a2ae19
- Optional S-ON support package (install on top of Beta 10) - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 1bf819f200135ed25a9e3e47d0824426
- Optional SuperSU 1.60 root package - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 36bdacd479b40a7ac5c1becb6a6b5cb1
Switch is installed the same way as any other custom ROM, using a custom recovery - I personally use TWRP. Complete the following steps to install...
- Copy the required zip files to /sdcard on your device
- Power off your device by holding down the power button until it turns off
- Enter recovery by pressing the power button while holding the volume down button and using the volume and power keys to select the 'Recovery' option
- Select the recovery image's option to wipe data (highly recommended)
- Select the recovery image's option to install zip and select the SWITCH Beta 12 zip
- Select the recovery image's option to install zip and select the S-ON support package (if required)
- Select the recovery image's option to install zip and select the root zip (if required)
- Select the recovery image's option to reboot (important: if prompted to fix root select 'Do Not Fix')
Please note that after installing, the initial boot will take a while as currently (to aid fixes) the ROM is not odexed. This affects the initial boot time and uses some additional space on /data, but is not reflective of the post Beta release.
The first time you boot to the GPe ROM the setup wizard will be launched - just step through as normal.
The Switch ROM is provided unrooted for ultimate compatibility! If you wish to have root access, flash the Switch root package above after flashing the ROM itself.
If you are coming from a non-2.24 ROM and want to upgrade to the matching 2.24 hboot / radio etc., you can download the firmware.zip from this topic. You'll need S-OFF or a locked bootloader to flash the firmware. The process is completed via fastboot and should be carried out while your device is Switched to Sense mode.
One feature that is currently still being tested is a telephony / MMS database compatibility layer for the ROM. While this is being refined, note that the telephony and MMS databases are siloed to their ROM. Again, this will change before the final release. I personally mitigate this by using the MySMS app.
Maintaining ROM specific data
Although data is maintained between ROM switches, there are instances where you might not want this to be the case. For a launcher for example, you might want to maintain different setups for each ROM - I do this with Nova. To facilitate this, you simply need to add an exclusion file. This will be managed through the Switch app in the future, but for now simply find the package name for the app (it can be seen in the URL of the app at the Play Store - for example Nova Launcher is com.teslacoilsw.launcher) - and via ADB issue the following commands:
adb shell touch /data/SWITCH/exclude/com.teslacoilsw.launcher
Easy eh? To remove the exclusion, simply delete the file you just created.
I'll update this list as testing proceeds, but the current known issues are as follows (all scheduled to be resolved for a future Beta):
- MMS / Call Log data is not shared between the ROMs (fix in testing)
If you want to support development of this and other MoDaCo projects, please consider signing up to a MoDaCo Silver or Gold account in the store!