Xiaocai X9 - Updated. Root info. Benchmarks etc.

Guest Frankish

Guest Frankish

Xiaocai X9

iwg9.jpg

Index

1. Xiaocai X9 Information

2. Rooting (Including ADB drivers)

3. Installing Clockwork Mod Recovery

4. Custom Roms

69. Thanks

1. Information.

1a. I ordered my X9 from Dealsprime. It cost me a total of £97, it took 5 days to ship (bank holiday weekend) and then dead on 2 weeks from shipping to arrival.

1b. Specs. 1.2GHz Quad Core MTK 6589, 4.5" qHD OGS Screen, 1GB of RAM, 8MP Back Camera with a 5MP Front Camera. Dual Sim with Android 4.2 (CaiOS).

lcyz.png

zh7c.png

1c. Benchmarks you say? Ask for any other you want to see. Here is Antutu.

d9kk.png

2. Rooting.

Rooting the X9 or any MTK6589 phone is surprisingly easy and quick, i will guide you through exactly what i did to do it on a Windows machine. Just read on.

2a. First step is you need to download the tools pack i've put together. Click here to download it. Extract this zip file somewhere like your desktop. There will be 3 files inside. Driver, Auto Root and a CWM Recovery .img.

2b. You need to install the drivers for it all to work so go into the drivers folder and select "install_driver.exe". This will install the ADB drivers for MTK6589 phones. It will install the 64bit ones automatically if required.

2c. Enable USB Debugging on your phone by pressing the menu key, going to Settings, Developer Settings. Make sure the "USB Debugging" option is ticked! Now connect your phone by USB and it should be detected and all drivers should be working.

2d. Now back to the root tools you downloaded and open the "motochopper_auto_root" folder. Select run.bat The tool will run and pretty much do everything itself. It will report successful and your phone will reboot. You now have superuser rights! The Superuser app and binaries have been added to the system partition.

3. Installing Clockwork Mod Recovery

To install a custom recovery you need to root your phone first. Do this by following part 2 of this guide or any other root method. This method of installing recovery avoids the use of SP Flash Tool and i believe it is quicker and easier this way.

3a. First you need to go to the root tools that you downloaded in step 2 of this guide. Connect your phone by USB and select Mass Storage mode. Copy the "mtk89_wet_jb2_130809__recovery_130820-135338.img" file directly to the root of your SD Card. Do not put it in a folder.

3b. Go onto the Play Store and search for "Mobile Uncle Tools" which is a neat little app for MTK phones. Install it. Run it and grant Superuser access when it requests it.

3c. In Mobile Uncle Tools select the "Recovery Update" option. The top option should show the "mtk89_wet_jb2_130809__recovery_130820-135338.img" file you copied in step 3a. if it doesn't repeat that step carefully. Select your recovery file and let it flash. That should be it!

3d. Select the "Into Recovery Mode" option in Mobile Uncle just to make sure it has worked. You should now boot into CWM recovery!

3e. MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP BEFORE FLASHING ANY CUSTOM ROMS.

4. Custom Roms

Here are a few links to various custom roms for the Xiaocai X9. It's by no means an exhaustive list just a collection of what i have come across.

MIUI V5 - Weekly releases updatable via OTA.

Lewa OS V5  - Click purple button, on next page click white button with file size (next to blue button).

THLW100 Port - AOSP like (Not fully AOSP)

69. Thanks

Thanks to Tillaz for bringing this phone to my attention and for his continued Android work and help on this forum.
Thanks to ludoo at XDA for the CWM Recovery for the X9.
Thanks to whoever made the Motochopper Auto Root tool.

Hi guys I have just ordered a Xiaocai X9. A 4.5 inch QHD quad core mediatek device which actually looks nice! And all for £96. Tillaz already received his as he ordered a while ago.

Has anybody else considered this phone? It had a MIUI rom on MIUI.com which is a massive plus for me. I ordered with a green back hopefully I get it soon.

Edited by Frankish

Guest Frankish

Went with dealsprime.com as Tillaz successfully ordered from them. There is a discount code on the main page i used to get a small % off so ended up being 96 quid.

Guest zurpher

I've ordered mine for £104 now. It ships as registered airmail by Hongkong Post and should take about 15-25 working days.

Do you know how your device is shipped? How long has Tillaz waited for the X9?

Let me know when yours has arrived. The race is on.

Guest Frankish

Well they haven't shipped my phone yet, not responded to two emails asking too. Getting a bit twitchy considering the person on the live chat said Monday or Tuesday...

Guest Degurney

Gonna order two tomorrow :).

Whats the gps like on this x9's?

I'm guessing/hoping there's a rooting/cwm guide around?? I remember tillaz saying " by the time 'someone'" had theirs they'd be a guide :)

Guest Frankish

By the time I had mine he said ha ha. I'm still waiting but it's only been a week and they only sent it out a few days ago. Could be 2 more weeks yet I reckon.

MIUI will be getting tested as soon as mine comes the thought of an official/semi official MIUI is a nice one! Maybe I will try and make a stripped stock rom too try and aosp-ify it.

Guest Degurney

Trying to find some good instructions on root/cwm install for when I get my phones ( X9`s )

Frankish: got any links? I have a couple of roms and some instructions, but I`m not exactly sure if thats all I need..

thanks

Guest Frankish

How come you have ordered two? I'm glad to find someone to talk with about it as I've been a bit alone in my wait for one so far. Tillaz has one but is a busy man ha ha.

Guest Frankish

I would assume so as these phones don't have a locked boot loader all you need to do is root, flash a custom recovery and then any rom you want. I would probably make a nandroid backup of the stock rom after installing a custom recovery just incase you have trouble with the custom rom booting or being rubbish! Alternatively could flash the stock Xiaocai rom using the proper flash tool if they have a stock rom available for download?

Guest Frankish

No i haven't. Ordered from dealsprime on the 23rd so it's only been 9 days so far. I expect at least a 2 week wait maybe 3. They seemed to wait about 5 days or so before they shipped it out too.

Hi Frankish - I presume you're still waiting? I'm seriously considering this and giving my Huawei G300 to my partner as she just broke her current phone. Dealsprime list it twice for some reason - one for €125 and the other for €115 (excluding 3% discount coupon) for some reason. I can't see any difference between the two listings. Any idea why it's listed twice or is Dealsprime like Aliexpress - i.e. a sort of broker site between buyers and sellers?

http://dealsprime.com/xiaocai-x9-4-5-960-540-android-4-2-phone-mt6589-quad-core-1-2ghz-3g-gps-8-0mp.html

http://dealsprime.com/xiaocai-x9-android-4-2-3g-gps-phone-mtk6589-quad-core-1-2ghz-4-5-ips-960-540-8-0mp.html

Thanks a lot,,,

Guest Frankish

I'm still waiting for mine yes still my tracking number isn't recognised but it's only been a little over a week since they posted it.

Regarding the listing twice I just assumed it was an old listing and that they are just a little unorganised to be honest as I couldn't see a difference either. I just ordered the cheaper option.

Judging by specs and benchmark scores this will blow your G300 out of the water you will be amazed at the difference. Just make sure you root and install a custom rom to avoid Cai Os as I've not heard good things. I'm sure Tillaz will make an almost AOSP version of the stock rom and if not I will do my best at it.

Tillaz where are you with that mini review ha ha. A busy man I'm sure.

Edited by Frankish

Guest Frankish

Just be aware that most people who select dhl end up being charged tax for their items while cheaper china post may take longer but seems to mostly avoid that. Where did you order yours from again?

Sorry merimobiles I see...

Edited by Frankish