Custom Recovery options.

Guest KelDG

Hi all

I have been sifting through the fragmented data that exists on custom recovery and rooting for the G510 and have a couple of questions if you have the time.

Does TWRP (or any other custom recovery) need the bootloader unlocked to work if the phone is already rooted?

I ask this as I have found this tool (http://www.cydiaimpactor.com/) which says it can root the G510 without needing to unlock the bootloader. I found it via XDA and have seen it on youtube a couple of times.

I was wondering as if you can, it means you don't need to unlock the bootloader and "void" your warranty.

Any input would be great, as I am trying to get my head round this.

Thanks

Guest Hassams

Rooting and bootloader are both different things, rooting allow you to gain full access to your OS.

1- Yes custom recovery need unlocked bootloader, locked bootloader won't allow you to flash anything.

2- Yes there is an unofficial method to root G510/Y300, in that case you won't have to unlock your bootloader but if any thing goes wrong or you messed up with your system files then you won't have any custom recovery to fix that but you can fix that by only flashing a proper official firmware (UPDATE.APP) of your device.

Rooting and bootloader are both different things, rooting allow you to gain full access to your OS.

1- Yes custom recovery need unlocked bootloader, locked bootloader won't allow you to flash anything.

2- Yes there is an unofficial method to root G510/Y300, in that case you won't have to unlock your bootloader but if any thing goes wrong or you messed up with your system files then you won't have any custom recovery to fix that but you can fix that by only flashing a proper official firmware (UPDATE.APP) of your device.

Thanks Hassams

I have it all sorted now. Bootloader unlocked, TWRP installed, backup made and un-unstalled all the bloatware, it made a hell of a difference to how the phone feels.