Questions about new ROM + reverting to old ROM (newbie)

Guest GodsOtherHand

Guest GodsOtherHand

Hello. I just got my new G510 and i am looking forward to putting a custom ROM on it.

But, being the first time i am doing something like this, i want to ask some questions.

1) Is there a way to revert back to the OS that came with the phone? I cant find anything on the huawei website. Can i make an image of the ROM that is currently installed on the phone, and restore that, or what method should i use?

2) If the install fails, and the phone no longer boots correctly (wrong drivers, or maybe i did something wrong), can it be recovered?

3) My carrier (Vodafone) locked the phone. Does it need to be unlocked in order to install CM or another custom ROM ?

4) Do i need root? Do i need to unlock the bootloader?

I am sorry if i am asking stupid questions, but it's my first time doing this, and the internet is a bit confusing. :D

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Guest Victod

Hello. I just got my new G510 and i am looking forward to putting a custom ROM on it.

But, being the first time i am doing something like this, i want to ask some questions.

1) Is there a way to revert back to the OS that came with the phone? I cant find anything on the huawei website. Can i make an image of the ROM that is currently installed on the phone, and restore that, or what method should i use?

2) If the install fails, and the phone no longer boots correctly (wrong drivers, or maybe i did something wrong), can it be recovered?

3) My carrier (Vodafone) locked the phone. Does it need to be unlocked in order to install CM or another custom ROM ?

4) Do i need root? Do i need to unlock the bootloader?

I am sorry if i am asking stupid questions, but it's my first time doing this, and the internet is a bit confusing. :D

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Hallo! .D

1) Yes, with an UPDATE.APP (Factory Reset) you can back to original firmware... Yes, again, you can make a backup of your current rom but first you need to unlock bootloader and install a custom recovery.

2) Sure! while you don't install something that was no made for your phone all will be ok! 

3) You mean to simlock?? Only you need to unlock bootloader to install custom rom/recoveries.

4) Root acces is optional... Yes.!

Regards!

Guest SH3H1

Note:- Make sure that your original firmware is available on the net :)

Check build no (There would be last charecter as B1XX , where XX is numeric values)

If you ignore it and don't know what your original firmware is , as a newbie you will be helpless and will have to try all firmware and find out which is yours :O

Lol just kidding but always have a backup plan ;)

Guest GodsOtherHand

my build number is b193, but i cant find where to get the original firmware... Where should i look for it? 

Also, i heard that for unlocking the bootloader you need to send huawei an email with some info..does anyone know what email? (address, what is should contain, etc)

Guest SH3H1

No you can use DC unlocker app to get bootloader unlocking code ^_^

Edit:- You have a G510 :)

I will check if i can find one for ya ;)

Greetings

Edited by MasterRck

Guest GodsOtherHand

Ty very much. 

I see that the update (B195) is almost half the size that B193 is. This means it's supposed to be used as an update, or did they just remove a lot of useless apps?

Guest SH3H1

Well my firmware (B175) was about ~600MB when downloading and it was a zip with dload folder in it , after I uncompress it the size was 1.08GB :O

So I think one is hardly compressed and the second is normal :huh:

Whichever you download try it first to make sure it's works well :)

Guest GodsOtherHand

I am stuck at installing the recovery..

i am using this:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/367021-kk-442-cyanogenmod-110-rom-all-nightly-builds-available/

From what i understand, i need to install Clockwork Recovery onto the phone, copy the CM .zip file onto an SD card, shutdown phone, start it with VolumeUp + Power, and select to install from that zip.

But how do i get Clockwork Recovery on the phone? Someone said something like " run the .bat from the folder" but i see no .bat. All i have is a .img (says it's corrupted if i double-click it) and a folder with some files.. None of the .bat...

Guest SH3H1

Lol, the CM .zip file is under 200 MB. That's really weird >.<

Well a CM ROM only contains System partition and boot and cust

But the original firmware package contains everything that make it a phone

Eg:- Importantly Baseband and thingies (wich gives you network lol)

Guest GodsOtherHand

Oh, i understand. But could you please tell me how to install CMW?

I am trying to install this:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/367021-kk-442-cyanogenmod-110-rom-all-nightly-builds-available/

And the guy in that thread says i need that version on CWM... how do i install it? Or, if you know of a simpler way to get KitKat on the G510/Y300, please say :D

Guest SH3H1

Okay Here

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-4P5iupAsjfLTUyYmxHS0VUR0k/edit?usp=docslist_api

Download the package (press Ctrl+S) and extract the zip on your windows.

For installing CWM , Rename the .img file as "CWM.img" and copy it to extracted folder

Power off the phone and remove battery,insert it after 5s

Put it to fastboot mode (explained early)

Run the check bootloader.bat if it shows some code you are good to go ;)

Run flash Cwm.bat it will install CWM and reboot your device

But i highly recommend you to use TWRP instead of CWM

Same method but rename the img as "recovery.img" and runflash TWRP.bat

And CM11 is pretty buggy atm you can try slimkat 4 wich is i'm using :D

Hope helped ,Enjoy Romming :P

Guest SH3H1

Oh...and how to flash a ROM :P (I take slimkat as a example )

Pass the ROM file.zip and Gapps.zip to SD card

Boot into recovery (TWRP)

1.Go to wipe>advanced wipe>tick first 4 and slide to wipe

2.Install>Choose ROM.zip and slide to flash

Sameway gapps

Reboot n enjoy

Note:- Everything else learn your self :P

Guest GodsOtherHand

ok, i think i got it :D ill try it tonight. Ty very much for your help (sorry for being a noob) :D

why do you recomend TWRP over CWM ?  

BTW, could you grant me access to the file you linked? :D

Edited by GodsOtherHand

• 1 month later...

Hi I have TWRP 2.5.0.0. installed and I have flashed a CM10 custom ROM. Can I use TWRP to install a stock 'update.app' ROM?

Thanks

Edited by Guest

Guest SH3H1

It's a oem firmware package :)

Put it in 'dload' folder in root of your SD and power off the phone and press all 3 buttons together !

It's the way of using an update.app file,no twrp or cwm needed ! ^_^

It's a oem firmware package :)

Put it in 'dload' folder in root of your SD and power off the phone and press all 3 buttons together !

It's the way of using an update.app file,no twrp or cwm needed ! ^_^

Thanks very much for that. I'll give it a try. Will I still have TWRP and be able to load more custom ROM's

Guest SH3H1

Thanks very much for that. I'll give it a try. Will I still have TWRP and be able to load more custom ROM's

No you will have to reflash TWRP !

It's a process to go to completely stock if you wanted any warranty service or fix any problem related to your phone only !

So well worth reflashing and thingies :)

Good luck