BIBLE for SPV!- UPDATED (Aug 9, 2003)

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)
pzee,

can you also do the Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSV) or the New American Version (NAV)...these are the recommended Catholic bible  :)

Good Lord, i'll work on this pa isa isa...Bible...map for Tube...oops malapit na midterms namin. :wink:

Guest Norbert Aquende
very well,  

now could pzee give us the version (NRSV)?...coz there's a big difference between catholic and non-catholic bible...(am sure mr. dinoalbert would agree with me) :)  

tnx

honestly theres not much difference... theyre usually the same people in the comitees of bible scholars in each project.... its just the "stamp of approval" from the sponsors that are different. Translation by the scholars are usually independent.

Guest Norbert Aquende
pzee,

can you also do the Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSV) or the New American Version (NAV)...these are the recommended Catholic bible  :)

The RSV is not approved for Catholic use. Only its latest version, the NRSV, is. All NRSVs are ok for catholic use even those published by non Catholics.

I dont think there is an NAV, but i think you are reffering to the NAB(New American Bible), the official english bible for use in mass by the Philippine Catholic Church.

Personally, if you are seriously into the Bible, you should have at least these versions:

New Revised Standard Version, NRSV- also known as the universal bible, it can be used in interfaith activities. It is helpful when doing bible studies with people of different denominations because it has been approved by their church. Exceptions are Inglesia, Mormons, Jehovas Witness, and a few non-mainstream protestants(also known as KJV purists).

New American Bible, NAB (for Catholics)- Although, in my opinion, not a good translation. Its the official bible used in the Catholic mass.

New International Version, NIV(not approved for Catholics) - Being a Catholic, i wish this was sponsored by the church. So far this is the best translation for me and i belive that it has been carefully translated with the audience in mind so that the actual message can be more clearly understood by the morden audience. This is the best bile for bible study.

You might also want to have a Concordance Dictionary, which is like an encyclopedia for the bible which gives backgrounders on the culture, charaters, history, audience, authors, etc in each books of the bible to have a clearer meaning of whats in it.

Pero kung talagang die-hard ka sa bible, get the source greek and semitic/hebrew books. The bible is abound with idioms and symbolism which meanings can be made more clearer if read from the original language it was written. This is also the reason why there are many revisions of the bible, the translators have sometimes have to interpret ancient idioms and traditions. But there are exceptions especially when the text is so complex, they just put in the literal meaning. An example of this is the Apocalypse, which was written in an ancient code used by the jews to communicate with each other during the rebellion against rome. No one knows how to decode it because theres no decoding guide has been found by archeologists.

Sorry napapadaldal na ako... hehe.

Guest Norbert Aquende
porbably wat Binky meant is that the Catholic and Protestant Bibles differ much because of those 7 Deuterocanoncal books  :)

oh okie... hehehe

i forgot to mention though that those books was part of the original king james verson but was removed after some deliberations i think

:idea: The difference bet a catholic and non catholic bible are the deutrocanonical books, which the catholics beleived are still Holy Spirit inspired. These books are written during the intertestamental period or the gap between the old testament and the birth of Christ. non catholic christians believed these books are not Holy Spirit inspired because God went silent after Malachi (last book of old testament) was written when the people did not respond to the last call of God for Israel to change. As a result, Israel was invaded and conquered by different empires.

During the silent years (intertestamental period) there was a desperate attempt by the Jews (Israelites) to have a word from God, thus, these (deutrocanonical or apochripal) books are born. :?:

Scholars also believed that the word of the Lord was heard again but only in private after a long period of time when Joseph and Mary was informed of the angel Gabriel separately of the imaculate conception of Jesus, and publicly when John the baptist preached on the wilderness calling for the people of Israel (Jews) to change, and of course when Jesus started his ministry.

Furthermore, scholars believed these books (deutrocannonicals) are not inspired because it contradicts other bible passages. For example, one way to cast out demon in the bible is to command the demon to get out of the body of the possessed person in the name of Jesus (Gospel and the book of Acts). But in the deutrocanonical books, it says that you can cast out a demon by burning the "hasang" taken out of a fish. (I forgot the exact book where it was written). :roll:

:idea: The books of the Bible, even though written by different people from different walks of life in different time and generation, is consistent in principle and thought, and does not contradict each other. It points to the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and teaches the way of salvation through faith :idea: .

The best bible translation is according to scholars are Amplified, and New Century Version. The most common is New International Version. Modern versions but still reflects meaning of the original greek, aramaic and hebrew language where the bible was originally written. :wink:

Guest dinoalbert

@ses, thanks for the information but as a Catholic I beleive that the Bible teaches salvation through FAITH and WORKS, noto just faith alone (sola fidei)...and I could cite many Biblical passages to prove that. The Deuterocanonical books are included in the Bible by the Catholics because there are passages in the NT that quote from these Deuterocanonical books. And I could also tell many other reasons why the Catholics believe in these 7 books...as well as to why our Protestants brothers do not believe in them.

As a Defensores Fidei, I could go on a discussion on this but I believe this is already OFF-TOPIC baka magtataka na ang mga moderators ng forum iba na pinag-uusapan natin wala ng kinalaman sa Smartphone :)

It would be better if we discuss this through our personal emails para okay lang kahit gaano kahaba pwede natin isulat :o

peace!

Oh and btw, I forgot to point out that it was the Council of Jamnia that took the 7 books our of the OLD Testament. You know what else the Council of Jamnia (JEWISH Council) took out? THE WHOLE NEW TESTAMENT. So if someone wanted to follow the Jewish Tradition, then they should also take out the NEW TESTAMENT :shock:

During the silent years (intertestamental period) there was a desperate attempt by the Jews (Israelites) to have a word from God, thus, these (deutrocanonical or apochripal) books are born.

peace!

Guest adi116
@ses, thanks for the information but as a Catholic I beleive that the Bible teaches salvation through FAITH and WORKS, noto just faith alone (sola fidei)...and I could cite many Biblical passages to prove that.
peace!

Guest dinoalbert

@adi116

Hi. Would you like us to discuss this further through our personal email addresses? Can you PM me your personal address?

its just that were drifting away now from the Modaco topic but I can go on with this discussion but not here :)

thanks.

"For the Son of man . . . will render to every man according to his works." (Matt. 16:27)

"every man shall receive his own reward, according to his own labor." (1 Cor. 3:8

". . . and if I should have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing." (1 Cor. 13:2)

"Do you see that by works a man is justified; and not by faith only'? . . . For even as the body without the spirit is dead; so also faith without works is dead." (James 2:24-26)

"What shall it profit, my brethren, if a man say he hath faith, but hath not works? Shall faith be able to save him?" (James 2:14)

Guest schadow1

Upon scanning through this thread, i'm sure that it would come to a point that it would be debating about the beliefs of various christian religions. Well, i can see that we are almost there.

So just to put a stop, let us discuss this privately. I'm a non-sectarian Christian.

I believe what i read in the Bible and i must say one of you is correct in my belief but i won't oblige to talking about it here.

Peace to everyone. :)

Guest rodnav

interesting!

as for myself. i've become agnostic. i have seen that most of the evils of the world are done because of religion. most of the wars of men have been started because of their "beliefs"!

through all of history, people have been persecuted if they did not share the religion of the ruling class. The Christians during pagan Rome, the pagans during Christian Rome, the Coptic and Iberian Christians during the rise of Islam, Christians by Buddhist Japan, Hindus against Sheiks, Islam against Zorastorianisms, etc. I could go on and on. Even in the present so called modern day as everybody knows, it is the powder keg of instability.

And i believe that no religion has the exclusivity to salvation and no religion can truly be called peaceful.

but in the end. these are just my opinion.

and i have read the bible both king james and american standard bible. and i have downloaded the ASV and will keep it as a reference.

Good job guys. Maybe somebody can work on English koran?

Guest adi116

I hope also, someone will make modifications to include hyperlinks for each verse in each chapter.

Also is it possible to run a query (through PERL or CGI) in Smartphone for a particular book, chapter, and verse? Or a keyword look up (example: "salvation") and it will display links to the related verses (similar to concordance).

Guest Norbert Aquende
@ses, thanks for the information but as a Catholic I beleive that the Bible teaches salvation through FAITH and WORKS, noto just faith alone (sola fidei)...and I could cite many Biblical passages to prove that. The Deuterocanonical books are included in the Bible by the Catholics because there are passages in the NT that quote from these Deuterocanonical books. And I could also tell many other reasons why the Catholics believe in these 7 books...as well as to why our Protestants brothers do not believe in them.

peace!

Although, this would be a good topic for debate in religon class... i have already left this issue to be the resolved by the vatican since i heard before that they were meeting with protestant groups to resolve the Faith and Good Works issue. Pero that was years ago, i dont know if the meetings are still taking place.

Guest adi116

may i suggest, na mag-add na lang tayo ng bagong thread to discuss about religion (if this will be accomodated in this site)? para naman maging specific itong thread na ito about the enhancements for the SPV Bible. I find a lot of people here have common interest both in smartphone and in religion. :)

Guest binky_p

pwede bang i lock na tong topic na to...not the thread but the topic...

guys, dis is not the right place to discuss what we believe and not....OK..

Guest Norbert Aquende
interesting!

as for myself. i've become agnostic. i have seen that most of the evils of the world are done because of religion. most of the wars of men have been started because of their "beliefs"!

Religon is not the culprit, it is the evil of man that causes it. Even biblical characters have done evil. But i belive that the idea is that the people in the bible are ordinary people who sins and create trouble, they turn back to God in the end. I think the bible is there for all people who are mostly sinners. But the nature of man is such that it can currupt even the purest of belifs and doctrines.

Personally there was a time when i didnt want to have a religon becuase wala akong makita na walang dumi (except buddhisim perhaps but upon reading more abt it, it doesnt seem like a religon but more of a philosophy). I dont know if you have heard about the evil popes, the freemasonary/roscrucian connection of martin luther, the dabbling into the occult of king james and even prophet mohammad's taste for pre-teen girls. Pero, i decided that my belifs wouldnt be dependent on what i see on others but rather it is my relationship with God and should not depend on what others do even if they share my belifs.

Guest rodnav

@ norbert,

i've read most of those things you've mentioned. and i agree it's not faith that is wrong it's the people who believes in them. therein is the rub, aren't they all hypocrites? i don't need them to tell what is right if they themselves do not follow what they preach.

what is religion but the opiate of the masses as karl marx once said. i may agree with what he said about religion but as to his other dogma, i'm a capitalist. religion is not the answer to the worlds ills.

anyway this thread is not for this discussion. just wanted to express my opinion and it is just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest crystal01

This looks good. I have downloaded it. :)

Hopefully I'd be able to read the Bible anytime,anywhere i like. Coz it's been years since i last held and read a Bible....Thanks to whomever made this!

~~~~ peace! ~~~~~~