Mr Orange joins MoDaCo... Welcome!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest morpheus2702

Sorry, but the phrase 'wait for 1.6' has become too well used on this site by certain people.

Most people come on here to participate and get answers to problems they are having. 'Wait for 1.6' is not any help to those of us that have had to put up with sh***y battery life and untold other problems.

You want to be cryptic and pretend to be a question mark? Fine. But just be honest and say that you do not have a damn clue if and when this update will appear.

Guest Simon Desser
Sorry, but the phrase 'wait for 1.6' has become too well used on this site by certain people.  

Most people come on here to participate and get answers to problems they are having.  'Wait for 1.6' is not any help to those of us that have had to put up with sh***y battery life and untold other problems.

You want to be cryptic and pretend to be a question mark?  Fine.  But just be honest and say that you do not have a damn clue if and when this update will appear.

Sorry to quote myself, but here goes :)

I was told by Andy Thomas (Orange guy at the MoDaCo meet) that they WILL NOT be releasing 1.6 at all!

This is due to some IPSM problems with the upgrade.

He said they are working on a new upgrade, which will wipe the IPSM from your phone ;) however, they are "hoping" to come up with some back up and restore function from your PC.

He also said that they don't want to release a UK update (for SPV's/SPV E100's )before the SPV2 comes out (I didn't really understand the reason behind that) but he gave (me) no indication of when SPV2's were coming out?

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Pagemakers
Maybe next time we should not have even told the forum what is happening?

Yea maybe you shouldn’t have bothered telling us about your involvement because every time we have asked questions about it they are not answered - just a "We are waiting to hear from Orange type statement". Just face it, they don’t reply to you either.

If it's true what Simon is saying above and you don’t know yourself that 1.6 is never going to be released what was the point of telling us about it in the first place, apart from the fact that it kinda makes you sound important.

Maybe next time we should not have even told the forum what is happening?

Who said I was talking about you? ... Hmmm, well, sorry! :oops: My intention wasen't to be either rude or provocative... So don't jump at me, plz ... :)

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I think this is going to be intresting.....

I've noticed that some of you have already asked some questions, however I'm currently out of the office as soon as I get back I'll be able to post some answers.

Do you really know what you are letting yourself in for??? :) ;) :D

Good luck :!: :!: :!:

Guest Simon Desser

FAO Pagemakers, from what I can gather, the Mods here have been kinda put in a position of trust with Orange. Consequently, they get information which wouldn't normally be made available to Joe Public. However, this has a downside, in that, if the powers that be at Orange, don't want something made public, then the Mods' hands are tied, and they can't actually tell us about certain things, even though they MIGHT know the answer!

When the Mods started talking about 1.6, they had no way of knowing that it might not be released?

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Pagemakers

Yea Simon I guess you are right and I meant no offence to the Mods.

Like everyone though I am just getting fed up of the wait for 1.5, wait for the 1.6, now it's wait for 2.0 or whatever.

There is no real excuse for taking more than 12 months to fix the many basic bugs the phone has.

Orange are doing themselves no favours if they really intend to make the Smartphone product a success.

I love my phone but it frustrates the hell out of me like nothing I've ever known at times!! I flew all the way to Prague to buy my original Tanager but with the Treo 600 and more importantly the Nokia 6600 just around the corner Orange had better buck up if they want to keep their loyal SPV fan base. I am certainly seriously tempted with the 6600.

But I guess it doesn’t matter to the Orange accountants what phone we use, providing we don’t switch networks.

Guys,

Can we give the moaning about firmware updates a rest. It's all getting a bit tedious. This is a fine welcome for Mr Orange!

New firmware will be released as and when it's ready. It may be next week, next month or next year. Some people will be lucky enough to test it, some not. Deal with it. It's no different with M$ or any other company. The forum is lucky enough to have some people involved with the testing so treat it as a bonus.

If people are seriously unhappy with their phone then return it under the Sale of Goods Act/Supply of Goods and Services Act as not fit for purpose.

Anyway, to bring this back On Topic, welcome Mr Orange and we look forward to any information about SPV Handset Development that you are able to share with us. :)

i firmly second fozzies comments. yes, i have issues which i want addressed, but this thread was meant to welcome our new member from orange. & crying at the mods coz they got a priviliged test at the new software isnt helping anybody. we should be glad that orange chose our mods for the test. try to think of the positives here people!! Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Martin@Home

Run Mr Orange, Run and dont look back !!!!!

Seriously, welcome to the site and I'm sure most of us (apart from Pagemaker) will be gentle and try not to break you too quickly !

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the "hacked rom" thread !

Is there a plan for how we can get the attention of Mr. Orange?? Obviously, everybody is going to be wanting a piece of poor Andy - & understandably, he won't have time to get to every little niggle about this & that.

Is there some kind of plan afoot for which issues he is most likely to tackle (polling the forums regularly for the most wanted topics??). Or is it just a free for all 'get him before he gets a chance to escape' kind of thing?? :wink:

EDIT - very much looking forward to the response on ROM update, GPRS dialling issue & indeed the 'Hacked ROM' topic!!?? Hint, hint :)

Andy,

Getting back on-topic for your area of responsibility.....

Do you envisage the Mitac Mio 8390 being released on Orange? If yes, any idea when; if no :) ;) :D

Cheers :!:

Guest Martin@Home

Thats what I thought... So Mr Orange, its over to you !

Does the "soon to be released" rom update fix this brain numbingly simple problem ? The SMS side of things has obviously had the boffins working long into the night to implement a cutting edge character count feature :roll: so I hope this has had some tuning done as well ..

Guest ethicsgradient

Is there an official Orange resource for ensuring that my E100's GPRS settings are correct?

I've been bitten by the "using passthrough blows away phone settings" scenario :cry:

Guest live4life

:)

Glad to welcome such a prominent member of the mobile community to this site! No doubt that I'll call on his expertise in the future...

Welcome Andy..

Kind regards Live4life (Thomas)