TV Remote with a TWIST!

Guest hp324

Guest zajfman
IT.....IS.....NOT.....POSSIBLE  :roll:

Dude, if its possible for a NOKIA and a SIEMENS-smartphone its possible for a SPV.

Come on lads.... let´s do this.... someone.... ehrmmm :roll:

Guest meatgrinder

nothing is impossible, things are hard, but very few things are impossible, someone out there can do it, whether or not they will is another matter

Dave

Guest mike-oh

Just to add another twist to the thread that wouldn't die...

I recently got a kameleon 6 in 1 remote control which can learn functions from other remotes. I set it into learn mode, pointed my mpx200 at it and tried to send it a business card. The remote then blinked at me twice to say it had succesfully recieved and learnt the signal sent from the phone.

Any thoughts?

Guest meatgrinder

hmm, interesting, this implies "consumer ir" as people refer to it (seems to me that ir is ir tho..)can receive this smartphones ir signals. which might mean it works the other way round if only we can get sum1 to take up the task :)

C'mon guys :D, this could be a realy munny maker :D

Dave

Guest carlosp_uk
got a kameleon 6 in 1 remote control

set it into learn mode

send it a business card.  

succesfully recieved

That's hilarious! I've got a Kameleon 6in1, must try this!

Have you tried sending the business card back from the remote control to a mobile phone ? Or back to the mpx ?

Guest Belgarath Krall

I've got it :!: set the MPx200 to receive, point a remote at it & somehow convince it that the signal is a business card (i always found that chocolate works well, or maybe a new battery would be better bribery) :D then by the miracle of programming set each of the keys to send "business cards" to the tv/hi fi/dvd player and voila tv remote...:D

for my next cunning plan, take over the world....in 3 easy steps :)

Guest meatgrinder

lol, Take over the world, u r a genious, how will we stop u!!

On the other hand, good thought, although it probably wont work, thought is what counts (at least thats what we're told..)

Dave

IR is just a light that blinks in a frequentie that it's ordered to by the software that controls it. so if a tiny software like the ones on a remote contol can do that why can't our superphones do it.... it IS possible but nobody (with the right knowlegde) has gotten of their lazy behinds to try and tweak one of those softwares... or build one from scratch....... it's just a matter of light on or off.... MUST BE POSSIBLE!!!!!!!! sorry to say I have no programming skills. or I would have tried it myself

Guest nedge2k

Its NOT possible. Ive done the research and been on loads of developer forums and read f*ck loads of posts and the conclusion is...it is not possible. It bloody well shoud be but it aint. I would love for me to be proven wrong but i doubt that gonna happen. The hardware is not compatible. Topics like this have been poping up since 2002. If it was possible there'd be an app by now. Dont belive me? Get off your own lazy behinds and do research for yourself or maybe even search the forum as nobody ever seems to do anymore!

Guest MrMagoo
Its NOT possible. ... Topics like this have been poping up since 2002. If it was possible there'd be an app by now....

and by that logic - anything which is possible is already written? :roll:

Guest mike-oh

That's hilarious! I've got a Kameleon 6in1, must try this!

Have you tried sending the business card back from the remote control to a mobile phone ? Or back to the mpx ?

did it buggery! lol! My phone didn't say it'd sent but my remote is definitely picking a signal up!! You get squat trying it the other way.

Guest MrZaphod

Can someone correct me on this.

My understanding is that phones and other IR stuff that transfer data use something called IRDA (Infrared Data Association), www.irda.org. It's designed for two way communication, along the lines of:

A sends a file to B, B lets A know that it got the file.

And the majority of televisions do not use such a complicated setup. A remote control will just blast out a signal to any receiver in it's range, and each manufacturer has a set of rules for what constitutes say 'volume up'.

To make things more complicated I've just discovered that my Telewest box uses an IRDA remote.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that it's possible for my phone (IRDA) to communicate with my Telewest box (IRDA) on some level.

I would be interested to see how many consumer products use IRDA remote controls? Any ideas?

Guest Pondrew

Meatgrinder, don't get p*ssed. It's just that virtually everything that's being said in this thread has been said and repeated several times in many threads in the past. This isn't censorship, it's boredom!

How many people with programming and engineering experience have to say it's impossible given our hardware? How many peeps who agree to try and then report back that it's proved impossible (for them)? No one's being lazy, it's just that they've looked into the possibilities and found they're not possibilities at all!

Anyway, that's my five cents...

Guest meatgrinder

obviously it aint boredom for a lot of people - if it bores u, dont read it...people are interested> I saw sum1 else say this was the problems encountered with ppc'c etc, now ppc's have awesum tv remotes...

we can always hope :)

Dave

Guest MrMagoo
Meatgrinder, don't get p*ssed. It's just that virtually everything that's being said in this thread has been said and repeated several times in many threads in the past. This isn't censorship, it's boredom!

How many people with programming and engineering experience have to say it's impossible given our hardware? How many peeps who agree to try and then report back that it's proved impossible (for them)? No one's being lazy, it's just that they've looked into the possibilities and found they're not possibilities at all!

Anyway, that's my five cents...

If you get bored reading this - sorry - perhaps you have a book you could read? :)

I personally think the following are reasonable statements:

1. that the infra-red transmitter built into these phones is physically capable of sending out infra-red pulses.

2. controlling the way the pulses are sent out is a software issue.

3. people need to keep trying to achieve those things which are believed to be "impossible" or we may as well all give up and go live in a cave.

4. censorship is censorship is censorship - even if you try to justify it by saying that you personally are bored.

and if they have been said before - that is wonderful - because it means that it's not just me that thinks like that.

That is my 10 pence.

I personally think the following are reasonable statements:

1. that the infra-red transmitter built into these phones is physically capable of sending out infra-red pulses.

2. controlling the way the pulses are sent out is a software issue.

They are reasonable statements but it's like saying that since cars run on fluid, any fluid can be put into the car and it will run! It's true that some fluids that a car won't run directly on could be converted into something that the car will run on e.g. oil to petrol but there are some fluids that could never be converted into something the car could run on e.g. water.

If the IR devices at both ends of the link aren't running the same protocols, operating in the same part of the IR spectrum etc etc, connection ain't ever gonna happen!

I'm bored too now! I'll just reach over to my TV remote instead of praying that one day I'll be able to use my SPV instead :)