TV Remote with a TWIST!

Guest hp324

i saw this application for pocket pc called total remote 1.01 that somehow uses sound to control tv and other IR devices. I am not that technically savvy, but if that works than it would seem that it would be able to work with a smartphone as well (or at least a versions modified for smartphone). So maybe there is hope after all. ;) I do not even have a smartpphone yet. Im in the US and waiting for the Motorola mpx. but that would be really cool (if not all that useful).

here is the link: http://download.com.com/3000-2153-10195213...tml?tag=lst-0-1

any thoughts?

There's a bunch of threads regarding TV remotes ... run a quick >>Search

Basically they wont work with the SPV or SPV E100 - due to some weird access to the IR ... not sure if that's the case with every smartphone, but at present time ... it's thought impossible...

well to get rid of false hope headers, we need a rule where they are followed by a quesiotn mark if it is a query or question regarding the header, rather than an exclamation, which implies excaiming something!

basic englash principal i would have thought.

Guest beersoft

all this talk of the ir not doing tv remotes is a load of arse.

every one of my pda's has done tv remotes (palm3x, palm3c,hp 525,toshiba 310) they all did it, the problem is the full api for the ir isn't about at the moment (too lazy to look, but it sounds good)

wtf is consumer ir? ir is ir it either goes beepo beep beep or beepbeepbeep you can confuse all the programable remote controls with a spv by sending bus cards to them when they are in program mode.

getting ir to do telly stuff is not that hard, its all pulses and time intervals and stuff.

look here for more info http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=irda+remote...ection=projects

later

Owen ( i might have made some of this up, but its friday + beer + nothing better to do)

The difference between math and physics is the difference between masturbation and sex. -- Paul Tomblin

They're both messy, but physics can get you in much more trouble. -- Malcom Ray

Guest vijay555

To be fair, i think people have gone a bit boy who cried wolf.

The app posted by hp324 is one i linked way way back, and SHOULD work on SPV.

i come from the old pocketpc days, and they said ir couldn't be done back then, but it's been done functionally well.

This particular pocketpc app uses a HARDWARE dongle that uses the audio out to control the IR. thus, all ir control is done thru custom audio software, not the internal IR API.

So, i think this route has great potential, but unfortunately i wrote to the company re SPV compatibility, but never got a response...should still work tho, since SPV has a powerful and fully pocketpc compatible audio out. If we stampede em we might persuade them to make a version. i wouldn't mind having a 1cm dongle to control my hardware :wink:

But at the end of the day, i'm still happiest with my all-in-one 8 item learning remote from toys r us!

V

Ok boys lets break it down a little...... for me this thing falls into the "flash" category. Because it works on a handheld with relatively the same hardware.... so whats the problem. well, mainly the touchscreen - so why cant we make an app that funtions like Ie for our phones where we run the program, assign special "speed dial" numbers for use within it - OR - have the ability to scroll around the program window using the D-Pad to select what we want to press ?

The IR is capable of the function... the SPV has more than enough power to slap out a beam of light on a desired frequency etc - when i installed the remote software, it installed FINE.. when i tried to run it, there was a problem, sumthin about no being compatible with my WinCE, and sumthin else about resources. Now look - If the MAME guys can emulate entire chip sets to run games, if we can emulate speccy's and 64's and amiga players and Atari's, if we can get java running - then why the heck is it SO hard to "modify" (i use the term loosely) how a piece of software talks to hardware ?

Software > Hardware - is the usual stance....

Software > Filter/Interpreter > Hardware - is what is needed, just to account for the bits our SPV's cant do.

Now surely some1 out there with all the skills necessary can make an SPV emulate my crappy casio watch with its fully functional TV REMOTE CAPABILITY and the processing power of a worm-fart !! I say this to the programmers - CONSIDER THIS A CHALLENGE TO YOUR SKILLS - GOOD LUCK ;)

Topics subject with the word "TV remote" should be banned :-P ... I am tired of the false hopes raised with such topics :-(

I SECOND THAT!

(my first post back from holiday... and i get caught by this rubbish topic) ;)

• 4 months later...
Guest Anarchist22

what is different between the infrared on the spv than the nokia 6600, i work for orange and most people choose the new 6600 as their upgrade and i have installed a program on theirs, they can even point infrar red devices at the phone and copy the signal, a lad on the upgrade department opens his central locing with his phone, the beam cant be that different.. i tried the program in the previous thread on my e200 but it errors on install saying its not designed for this device ill try it on my normal spv and see if it says the same....

Guest zajfman

For those of you who think this topic should be banned: If you dont like it then DONT READ IT !!!!!

Its really that simple

Let the rest of us talk about whatever we want. Even if it HAS been discussed a million times before. Its known that people have asked the same questions twice.

Guest meatgrinder

BAN TOPICS WITH "TV REMOTE" IN THE TITLE? ffs, this is a forum for getting information, exactly what zajfman said, if this irritates you, ignore it and grow up, its just a simple request...

Dave

Guest nedge2k

Right, f**k it. Im gonna sort this out once and for all. I have very little programming experiance but im gonna research my arse off and try and make a test prog coz i think this is possible. Even if you have to be sitting with your nose on the telly to be close enough for it to work, its gotta be worth it. Our phones are the best there are and yet lesser phones can do things ours cant. Its not right. Keep your eyes peeled, the next post for tv remotes might actually be real!

Guest dduenkel

I used a program from www.pdawin.com on my iPAQ and it worked great. I installed it on my i600 and it worked from an installation and the program ran, but you need a touch screen to work with it. So I guess the point is maybe the program can be tweaked a little for the Smartphone. Just an idea.

Dan

Guest meatgrinder

yea, someone mentioned that earlier in this topci (or another one, i read soo many :lol:), it is a good point, maybe it can, hopefully it can.

and Nedge2K, i hope ya do, thats the attitude that gets things done, good luck, i;m sure you have the backing of hte entire community :D

Dave

It has been my experience with different devices that one of the biggest problems is the strength of the signal coming from the device. On my Ipaq 5455, which comes bundled with Nevo RC software, I need to stand within a couple of feet from the IR recievers for it to work.

So... although it may be technically possible it may not be practical.

Guest nedge2k

Just to let you know, i've done alot of digging and this really isnt looking possible :lol: and to get anywhere near to making it possible id say you need a fair ammount know-how with assembly language. Unless a real pro decides to pull his/her finger out and stop dangling carrots in front of us then our phones are just gonna have to be used for phone calls...and movies and games and music and internet and....

From what i can see its been tried before but to no avail. You never know i might've missed something but i doubt it. I think we must accept once and for all, it just aint happening. Sorry guys.