Anyone got the E200 acting as a modem, over bluetooth?

Guest blowdart

Bloody Hell - this is ticking me off..........

What to do - what to do.......

At least the Nokia phones do what they say they will.. even if they do use symbian (yuk).

Rik

:?

I know how you feel, but I couldn't stop laughing a bit at your first remarks... your avatar fits you Rik...

Funny :wink: but with a wink of sadness :cry:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pagemakers

OK, I can get my E200 to communicate with my Pocket PC via the IR modem however, I have been fiddling for 3 days to connect my E200's Bluetooth Modem and Pocket PC.

I have failed miserably.

Just brushed off the dust from my Nokia 6310i and within 5 minutes I am connected by Bluetooth and surfing the net via GPRS.

What a difference - Shame on the SPV again.

Guest sundance

I got my E200 on Thursday and tried the bluetooth connectivity with a A300 laptop it worked first time...the bluetooth dongle is a cheapie i got from e-bay...cost me a tenner....cant be that hard cos this is the first time I used bluetooth!

Persevere guys!

Sundance

• 2 weeks later...

Same with my iPaq 1940.

I had to take back my SE T68i from its box to connect my PPC via bluetooth.

Here in France Orange support says they are working on an upgrade in order to make bluetooth dialing work on SPVe200.

From what I understood they are going to implement Widcomm bluetooth stack, which makes it compatible with 2003 Pocket PCs for dial-up.

They plan to release the upgrade end of january 2004.

Some beta-testers I know already have this new ROM in their e200 and they say it works fine (with a 2210 iPaq for instance).

More information about Widcomm bluetooth driver / patch to be released here :

http://www.widcomm.com/Products/bluetooth_...ftware_btce.asp

From Widcomm customer relations : "We are releasing BT SmartPhone Software Product 1Q2004.

This product will be primarily licensed by mobile manufacturers. We do however, plan to develop a Development Kit in the near future to support third party application developers.

If you are a s/w developer we can inform you of such a kit when it becomes available."

• 1 month later...

blowdart, you had any luck with your Tosh and the BT modem?

I'm having the same touble, got Activesync working fine, just can't get it to recognise the modem part of the phone. I take it your BT is built in? If so you will probably have the same software as me cause I'm using the Tosh BT SD Card 2.

[edit] The more I look into this the more I get the feeling that the Toshiba Bluetooth software stack isn't gonna make this work. Anyone know of any third party software or drivers that could force the issue? [/edit]

Guest paulgibson

Hi, after the standard AT string +CGDCONT=1,"IP","orangeinternet" try adding ,"",0,0 so the string woudl read +CGDCONT=1,"IP","orangeinternet","",0,0

Not a clue if it works but have been advised that it might work

I have found a way for the phone to be recognised by the Toshiba BT Stack.

I downloaded the software package that runs the Anycom BT USB adaptor, with this software also comes the Bluetooth Drivers (from Widcomm) for the modem part of the phone. Once the drivers were available on my system I went through the usual process via the Toshiba Bluetooth manager and when it came to installing a modem I then had the Bluetooth modem available as a driver.

Now I have had it working once, it connected to the phone and everything, almost got a successful dial-up but I think I had a setting wrong somewhere about to test it again, hopefully without any interruptions from my students.

Guest Pagemakers
Hi, after the standard AT string +CGDCONT=1,"IP","orangeinternet" try adding ,"",0,0 so the string woudl read +CGDCONT=1,"IP","orangeinternet","",0,0

Not a clue if it works but have been advised that it might work

Nope :cry:

I'm one step further down the road, I have the laptop connected to the phone as a modem, it opens port, dials the number, connects, verifies username and password and then stops on Registering the computer on the network stage before it disconnects saying there was a PPP problem and the computer remote computer disconnected me.

Last hurdle before I get this working, any ideas how I get rid of this last problem, it's gotta be one of my settings but after so many checks on my settings I can't figure out what it is.

Went to the Anycom site and asked for the software for the Anycom USB Bluetooth adaptor, you have to enter an email address then they send you a link and password to download the file and unlock the ZIP file.

Reasons for this are after extensive reading of Bluetooth all over the web most drivers are produced by Widcomm and they have some sort of DRM attached to their software. I have just got the latest 1.4 drivers from MSI, haven't tried those yet though, they should be better from what I've heard.

You have any other problems let me know I can point you in the direction of a few websites that help shed light on the bluetooth subject. If you are running XP then like the rest of us, then I think the best fix will come when MS release Service Pack 2 for XP, supposed to have a lot better BT stack and drivers in it.

Let me know how you go? All info regarding BT is quite interesting to me at this point in time.

Guest timfield

>

> E200 acting as a modem, over bluetooth?

>

Hmmm... do you think this is this a problem specifically with Orange service?

I just got an i-mate Smartphone 2 which is supposedly identical to the QTek 8080 and E200 and it is working great as GPRS Bluetooth modem to two PPC2003 devices - my iPAQ h5555 with built-in BT and Toshiba E750 with Socket Bluetooth CF card - also works great as BT modem to my laptop. I am in USA with Cingular service.

Anyone else in USA successful?

Tim

Guest Pagemakers
I just got an i-mate Smartphone 2 which is supposedly identical to the QTek 8080 and E200

As an aside Timfield, does your i-mate suffer from the various T9 bugs that have been reported: No auto caps, bits of the previous messages words appearing in new messages, loosing words at the end of lines?

After getting a lot of grief from XP in conjunction with the Toshiba SD BT Card I decided to give MS Online Support ago, Result!

Best thing I could have done, they sent me the updated Bluetooth drivers and such like in a Hotfix, the Hotfix they sent was extracted from the XP SP2 which is still in Beta, but it's fixed my prob, hopefully it might also kick start getting the laptop to recognise my Jabra BT200 as well.

Rob,

I have Toshiba Portege 3500 (Tablet PC) laptop with built in Bluetooth and e200. I would like to use e200 as bluetooth modem. I cannot make it work with Activesync nor as modem (for exapmele: i cannot see Bluetooth modem in Phone and Modem Options). It looks like Toshiba Bluetooth stack cannot make it. Do you have some idea?

^ ello,

First I'm assuming that the Toshiba BT Stack is the same, I downloaded a few in an attempt to get it working and they all look similiar.

The way I got it to work was all forced, at no point did the Tosh BT Stack do any automatic installing of devices.

[edit] Forgot to say, the BT Manager prog is next to useless, you should have a prog called BT Service Centre, this app is a lot more useful as it allows you to actually see what you bluetooth scans can see. Also this prog allows you to say to the Tosh BT that the phone is a trusted source, which I think could cause a few probs if it isn't (conjecture at this point, haven't fully tested that theory) [/edit]

Do you have a little prog in the control panel called Bluetooth COM or something similiar, should allow you to see what virtual ports you have. Make sure you have 2 serial ports, 1 should be a client (on mine it's COM6) and one should be a server serial port (COM7 on mine). And there's probably a load more that are called Information Exchange ports as well, but you don't need to worry about them.

To get activesync working make sure the server type serial port is designated in Activesync (under connection settings and the COM port selection). Once Activesync is mapped to that specific server port you should be able to go into Activesync on your E200 and under menu select the option to connect via Bluetooth. You'll know if it is attempting to connect cause the Bluetooth Manager that is in the Taskbar should radiate indicating that phone is attempting a connection.

Let me know how that goes and whether I'm right in my assumption about the Tosh BT Stack being similiar, otherwise all this will mean nothing to you :lol: If it is the same we'll go for the modem next :D

Guest JampoTT
>

> E200 acting as a modem, over bluetooth?

>

Hmmm... do you think this is this a problem specifically with Orange service?

I just got an i-mate Smartphone 2 which is supposedly identical to the QTek 8080 and E200 and it is working great as GPRS Bluetooth modem to two PPC2003 devices - my iPAQ h5555 with built-in BT and Toshiba E750 with Socket Bluetooth CF card - also works great as BT modem to my laptop. I am in USA with Cingular service.  

Anyone else in USA successful?

Tim, Do you mind explaining how you got it working with the PPC2003 Ipaq? I have a 4150 and want to get it working with my e200!

Tim

Guest timfield
Tim, Do you mind explaining how you got it working with the PPC2003 Ipaq? I have a 4150 and want to get it working with my e200!  

Okay, here are the steps I took for iPAQ with built-in BT and Toshiba with Socket CF Bluetooth card (both PPC2003). The settings are for Cingular in US:

-----

On phone:

#1: Start -> 8 Settings -> 8 Bluetooth -> Set to Discoverable -> Done

#2: Make sure GPRS connection is working – I see both G and bluetooth icon at top

-----

On PPC:

Start menu -> Settings -> Connections tab -> Connections -> Add a new modem connection

Name: SP_BT

Modem (iPAQ): Bluetooth Dialup Modem

Modem (Socket): Bluetooth Phone

-> Next

*99# -> Next

User name: [email protected]

Password: CINGULAR1

-> Advanced button

Extra dial-string: +CGDCONT=1,"IP","isp.cingular" -> OK -> Finish

----

On the iPAQ

Start menu -> Bluetooth Manager -> Bluetooth Connection Wizard (BT icon lower center toolbar) -> “Connect to the Internet” -> Next -> Connect via dial-up device -> Next -> Tap here to choose a device -> tap Smartphone -> see “Service Discovery” momentarily -> change “Connection Name” if you want -> Finish.

----

On Toshiba with Socket CF BT:

Today screen -> tap BT icon lower right -> Advanced Features -> Bluetooth Devices -> Tools -> Device Discovery -> Next -> Next -> Find and check Smartphone -> Next -> Finish

Tap and hold Smartphone -> Bond -> Next -> Next -> Enter passkey -> Next.

-----

Now, back to Smartphone: You should see "Bond?" dialog. Press OK to create bond -> enter passkey -> Done

-----

Now try to connect – for example, start Pocket IE and enter a URL to visit. You should see “Connecting” dialog pop up with your BT connection info (Note: on Socket, a dialog will pop UNDERNEATH the Connecting dialog that you must tap to Select the Smartphone).

Connection may take some time – from a few seconds to a minute or so. Eventually you should see the upper rightmost icon on your Smartphone (that tells your signal strength) change to have two horizontal arrows indicating you are connected and PIE should load your webpage.

Hope this helps. If I accidentally skipped some step or you need more help or a screenshot, let me know. Let us all know if you are successful!

Tim