Anyone got the E200 acting as a modem, over bluetooth?

Guest blowdart

Guest blowdart

My Tosh sees it, but it doesn't appear to be acting as a modem, no dialing out, no clues over what number to dial, nothing in the manual, nothing on Orange's help pages (hahaha).

This is what I wanted it for *sigh* My nokia has no problems.

Guest AdrianFRST

This might be no help at all, as I've not tried with the E200 yet, but here goes anyhow.

I had an iPAQ and a T68i which I used as a GPRS modem over bluetooth to collect email. (Unfortunately I no longer hav e the iPAQ so I can't try anything out).

On the T68i I had to create a GPRS connection (it was sim free so no preloaded connection settings). On an E200 it should work fine with the Orange GPRS settings.

The setup involved pairing the two devices, then creating a dial up network connection on the iPAQ specifying the T68i as the modem. The DUN connection these settings:

Dial Up Number: *99#

Initialisation string: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","orangeinternet"

username: gprs

password: gprs

You can find more detailed settings by google searching for: orange gprs modem settings or something similar.

If you want to use regular dial up you'd need to set it up to your ISP to connect as if it was a normal modem, but specify the E200 modem instead.

Guest blowdart

Thanks. I've got it bonded, but dialing gives

"Could not detect modem. It may be in use, turned off, or not installed properly."

Even when trying to detect the modem with XP, nada happens, doesn't see it as a modem. Quite weird

Guest Shuflie

You probably need a modem driver installed on your PC for the E200, its a long shot but you could try the SPV USB modem driver and see if it works. I think you should find a link to it on here somewhere.

Guest blowdart
You probably need a modem driver installed on your PC for the E200, its a long shot but you could try the SPV http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=2361>USB Modem driver and see if it works. I think you should find a link to it on here somewhere.

Yea I tried forcing that, to no avail either. My Bluetooth stack knows it's a modem, but XP doesn't see anything on the virtual com port that's usable

Guest rikwebb

Guy's

I am having problems too. Spoke to O fax n data yesterday, they had only just recieved an E200.

We got the Laptop working both through dialup and gprs (you do need the settings for extra string), but cannot get the Ipaq 2210 working.

One thing I have noticed is that the Ipaq only discovers the SSA BT service from the e200, whereas the laptop discovers the laptop finds a DUN service.

What is a SSA service?, does antone know?

Laptop Compaq M700, WinXP Pro, 3com BT PCMCIA.

Ipaq 2210, MS Mobile 2003 PPC.

I am doing some testing with Paul's BT Switcher, I will post the results on that post.

Rik

Guest blowdart
Guy's

I am having problems too. Spoke to O fax n data yesterday, they had only just recieved an E200.

We got the Laptop working both through dialup and gprs (you do need the settings for extra string), but cannot get the Ipaq 2210 working.

You lucky swine :lol:

Does it appear as a "standard modem" or something different?

Guest blowdart
Guy's

One thing I have noticed is that the Ipaq only discovers the SSA BT service from the e200, whereas the laptop discovers the laptop finds a DUN service.

That's all my laptop sees. Very strange

Arghhhh :?

My computer sees SSA and headset and my pocket pc (2210) sees SSA. I've had no luck with connecting to GPRS through the SSA profile. The phone manual has nothing about it and Orange technical support have no information.

I sure wish this phone had Widcomm bluetooth software on it.

Guest rikwebb

Seems to be a problem with the make of BT device detecting the phone!

It will not work when the SSA service is found, but will work if your device see's DUN or serial services.

Puzzled, does anyone know what the SSA service is ??, Ive never seen it before.

Rik

Guest rikwebb

Ive done some digging and it appears to be (as suggested above), a winsock connection over bluetooth ??????

Why can one device see one thing and another see something different ?

Good old MS, not following spec, but interpreting !!!

Rik

After 3 days trying i've managed to connect over bluetooth, but it's not using gprs (even though using the "",0,0 string) instead it's using data calls, i found the driver on the orange cd that came with e200 in oem folder, Mine sees smartphone SSA, and i used this to dial up

Still nobody has got GPRS over bluetooth working?

I'm pulling my hair out here trying to get it going. Upgraded my bluetooth stack on my laptop to the very latest Widcomm 1.4.2.10 and still no joy :roll:

:lol: Finally working on my laptop using the SSA profile

dial%20tone.gif

string.gif

number.gif

These are all the settings that I changed. Two arrows appear on the top right of the phone and you're connected.

Now I have to get my pocket pc to connect :shock:

Guest rikwebb

Ive got mine working from the laptop, but it see's the dun profile.

Its the Ipaq 2210 that i cannot connect. It sees the phone, and connects via BT, but will not dial !!!

The guys at 156, said to try removing the at from the beginning of the string and adding a # to the end as below:

+CGDCONT=1,"IP","orangeinternet","",0,0#

But still no joy. I am getting arsed with it now !

Rik

Ive got mine working from the laptop, but it see's the dun profile.

Its the Ipaq 2210 that i cannot connect. It sees the phone, and connects via BT, but will not dial !!!

The guys at 156, said to try removing the at from the beginning of the string and adding a # to the end as below:

+CGDCONT=1,"IP","orangeinternet","",0,0#

But still no joy. I am getting arsed with it now !

Rik

I'm having no joy with my iPaq 5550 either. I'm getting really annoyed about this, BT from my ppc was one of the main reasons I bought an E200.

Show off.

Driver : Bluetooth modem? HUH?!

Yeah that installs when you set up the pairing of the phone on the computer side. It's just a case of getting the settings right

Guest blowdart

Yeah that installs when you set up the pairing of the phone on the computer side. It's just a case of getting the settings right

Hmm. Have to experiment again. It's annoying!

I've just been informed by Orange Data Support that it will NOT be possible to connect a PocketPC to the E200's GPRS connection using Bluetooth. They have also told me that there are no plans to implement a workaround.

I feel that this coupled with the 4-way joystick problem is seriously bad news for the E200. I'm considering returning mine under the 14-day returns policy.

In spite of the lack of bluetooth, older operating system and lack of integrated camera, is the MPX-200 a better proposition? Lots of people seem to be raving about it. What does everyone else think?

I've just been informed by Orange Data Support that it will NOT be possible to connect a PocketPC to the E200's GPRS connection using Bluetooth.  They have also told me that there are no plans to implement a workaround.

I feel that this coupled with the 4-way joystick problem is seriously bad news for the E200.  I'm considering returning mine under the 14-day returns policy.

In spite of the lack of bluetooth, older operating system and lack of integrated camera, is the MPX-200 a better proposition? Lots of people seem to be raving about it.  What does everyone else think?

Someone better sort this out, it's unbelieveably poor. And I've just sold my SPV, so no going back.... :lol:

Guest rikwebb

Bloody Hell - this is ticking me off..........

When O say it has bluetooth, are they suprised when we want to use it to connect ????

Mind, knowing O, I can see them saying "Well. we said it has BT, and it does, we didnt say you could use it!!, did we?"

I got mine last thursday on an upgrade, so I have to make my mind up tomorrow if I am gonna keep it or not. Its soooooo annoying, I realy want to keep it, I like it, BUT it just doesnt do what its supposed to!

What to do - what to do....... £150 for something that wont do what I expect it to.

At least the Nokia phones do what they say they will.. even if they do use symbian (yuk).

Rik