Anyone got the E200 acting as a modem, over bluetooth?

Guest blowdart

My GPRS connections works fine with Ambicom Bluetooth CF on Ipaq 3660. Here's what i did :

On the Xphone (aka E200/Qtek 8080) :

- switch Bluetooth to discoverable mode.

On Ipaq :

Section 1

- Open and initiate Ambicom Dial Up Wizard.

- If prompt saying "you already have set up a connection...... do you what to proceed ?" Select Yes.

- When asked for phone type, choose ericsson or nokia (does not matter).

- Input Dial up number as : *99#

- You will be asked to key in pin for bonding with the phone.

- Key in the same pin number on the phone as well, of course.

- You will see the small forward and backward arrows right above the network signal on the phone showing they are connected.

Now you know that the a connection can be achieved between Xphone and Pocket PC via bluetooth.

To establish an Internet connection using GPRS. On the Ipaq :

Section 2

- disconnect earlier (section 1) connection by clicking on the connection icon that appears on the Ipaq.

- proceed to connection menu on the Ipaq and set up a new network connection.

- Choose Ambicom Bluetooth Modem as the connection method. Baud rate max : 115000. -click next

- using the same dial up number : *99# -click next

( leave country and area code blank )

- no dial strings necessary. -click finish

- go to internet explorer on Ipaq and try visiting any web site. Pop up window will appear asking for id and password. These are country-network dependant. Just ask your network provider for this info.

Are are done.

( I don't have my Ipaq with me at the moment so the exact pop up question on Ipaq could be a little different from what I have stated but pretty sure they are about similar ).

I sent this as a PM, but thought I'd better post it just in case anyone else was having probs with their Toshiba Bluetooth (RE: Laptops, not PPC).

Modem is a bit little bit harder but it does work.  

First off you need to download another bluetooth device software, like the ones you probably have been reading about that come with USB dongles. I can't remember what the version number should be but they are all the same manufacturer, Widcomm. Once you have the software suite, you need to decompress to a folder the "Data.cab" file, in this file is the generic driver for Bluetooth modem.  

Once you have decompressed it into a folder, go to Phones and modems options and Add a modem, don't let it Search for one, when it gives you the option to add a modem of your choice, click the "have disk" button and point it at the folder you just decompressed, it should then give you a list of drivers, one of them being "Bluetooth Modem". When it gets to the part about what port to put it on, you will need to put it on your client port (on mine it's COM6). Once you have it set up you just need to add this string if you are wanting to use Orange GPRS, to the Modem Properties under the "Advanced" tab:  

+CGDCONT=1,"IP","orangeinternet","",0,0  

and then set-up the standard dial-up setting for Orange or whatever ISP you are gonna use. Might be best to do a restart as well just to make sure your laptop isn't going to throw a fit  

Then you should just have to double click you dial-up icon for it and the bluetooth should connect straight away to the phone and dial thenumber and connect you. Once I click mine, the first time or so it was a bit slow, but now it connects and authenticates and registers my computer in a matter of seconds.  

Hopefully that should kick it all off, mine was a bit stubborn at first but now it's working, it seems happy enough. Hopefully Toshiba will rewrite their Bluetooth stack one day so it's a bit more compatible with XP and such like. Let me know if you get any probs.  

Take it easy,

Guest colingwalker

Is this for bluetooth connection, I have tried the info supplied and still can not get any connection over bluetooth. The Irda works no problem !!!!

e flammis atque ruinis salus

Colin Walker

SPV e200

512Mb SDCARD

• 5 months later...
Guest Bumfluff

Yes and extremely quickly and easily using a ipaq 5550.

First pair the phone and PDA as normal.

on ipaq go Start > Settings > Connections > Connections.

Select add a new modem connection and give it a name. On the drop down box below, sellect "bluetooth dialup modem".

On the next screen enter *99# and tap next.

On the next screen do not enter a user name, passowrd or domain, just click finish.

Now go into Pocket IE and try to connect to google or something. It will bring up a network logon box with whatever name you gave your connection. Leave all boxes blank and tick save password (so you won't get this screen again) and a dialogue box will appear saying connecting...

You should will now be connected over Orange GPRS.

The signal strength meter on the E200 will be replaced with an active connection arrow.

Quite often it will dial without connecting. This is not because the settings are wrong, it is because the BT implementation on the E200 is poor.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jeffik

I'm trying to do the same with my laptop using usb BT dongle on T-Mobile USA. I used to do it on T610 by usin dialing string *99***3#. I can establish the ssa conneciton and it looks ok but no data. Any body got it working? Thanks in advance