Volume Problems.

Guest PaulT

Just to add to this sound problem thread, I bought my son the C550 for Christmas.  We have found that when he has the earpiece volume set down to nothing, using the volume control on the side of the phone, the volume is still there, albeit low, but he gets very loud feed back in the earpiece, suggesting there may well be a speaker problem.  The only way we have found round this is to have the earpiece volume set somewhere in the middle.  Has anyone anymore thoughts on this problem?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All three of the phones that I've had did the same. When you try and set the volume on the lowest setting, not only does it not sound any quieter but it gives you a lot of nasty feedback during calls. Like you I have to have it on the second to last setting, which seems to help with the feedback.

Every other phone that I have had, the bottom setting (no volume) is basically mute. Whereas on this phone you can still hear it very clearly. I am no expert in these things but there is something definitely wrong with the volume on the phone and it isn't limited to just a few phones it seems to be them all. The way that Orange and HTC seem to be blatantly denying any problems appears to suggest that it is a hardware problem and therefore not something that they are going to fix. :evil:

The only way that I am able to use the phone comfortably is to have the speaker above my ear, almost on my temple so as to lessen the damage to my ear drum!

Edited by PaulT

All three of the phones that I've had did the same. When you try and set the volume on the lowest setting, not only does it not sound any quieter but it gives you a lot of nasty feedback during calls. Like you I have to have it on the second to last setting, which seems to help with the feedback.

Every other phone that I have had, the bottom setting (no volume) is basically mute. Whereas on this phone you can still hear it very clearly. I am no expert in these things but there is something definitely wrong with the volume on the phone and it isn't limited to just a few phones it seems to be them all. The way that Orange and HTC seem to be blatantly denying any problems appears to suggest that it is a hardware problem and therefore not something that they are going to fix.  :evil:

The only way that I am able to use the phone comfortably is to have the speaker above my ear, almost on my temple so as to lessen the damage to my ear drum!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the quick reply PaulT. Maybe these threads should be forwarded to HTC to see if they have any idea of what's wrong.

Thanks for the quick reply PaulT.  Maybe these threads should be forwarded to HTC to see if they have any idea of what's wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

good idea. What strikes me when I read posts like this is "does the manufacture or MS listen to us at all"...I mean who should know the problems better than the end user?...apparently not HTC or MS...and it seems that Orange or QTEK or whoever is the dist. of these products doesn't listen either...I don't know how to get them to listen but I have experience this to often..not only with MS and HTC but also with SE and Nokia....so the big question is...HOW do we get them to listen and WHO do they get the end user feedback from? apparently it is not from the end user as I guess they would have solved the problems by now... :evil: :evil: :??:

I wonder if there will ever be any sort of upgrade to the C 550 now that the C 600 or the Qtek 8310 is out on the market with WM 5 (were as the C 550 have WM 2003 SE) :roll:

well back to the problem: I am not getting any feedback on my phone, but I can hear that there is a little bit more noise (just a very tiny bit) when I set the volume to max compared to min....but it is not something that is disturbing the conversation in anyway....but still there is no way I can change the volume...

BTW: @ codmate: Any news on the second speaker? ;)

The only time corporates listen is when there is a risk of litigation against them for a product that is likely to be injurous to health. Note how Sony phones display a warning if you increase the volume too much or use an ascending ring. That's to protect Sony from being sued for damages, by users risking potential hearing damage from accoustic shock.

Trouble is, as the C550 is now obsolete/obsolescent, without the threat of a lawsuit, Orange and HTC have no motivation to do anything about this issue.

I wonder if they would be so complacent and refusing to acknowledge this fault, if we lived over the pond - in the land of the "class action"?

Edited by Metoo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jthspace

Had really load volume problem, but now gone quiet all by itself. Interestingly, noticed in Media Player the volume icon (bottom right) which shows "20%" next to it and I cant increase the volume above this - I have the problem of not enough sound!

What do other ownes phone show in Media Player ?

Jeff

==== UPDATE=====

Used the volumerestore.cab and the volume icon in Media Player has gone up to 65%

Interestingly, I hae TCMCP loaded as well - do others with problems have the same? Is that the common problem?

Jeff

Edited by jthspace

Guest j_Duqueno

My 1 month old C550 developed the loud incoming call volume problem this weekend. Volume buttons bring up volume display but still get full volume even when turned right down. Works fine on outgoing calls.

Looks like some software event / setting may have triggered the problem, tired restarting but didn't help. Anyone found a cure yet? It's realy annoying me already.

Edit: Has anyone tried doing a hard reset? does it fix the problem....

Edited by j_Duqueno

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mattlyon62

My volume while in calls does this 2. It seems to make a little difference but not much. Are all you people who are getting easy replacments on contract or will they do it for me to on payg.

Matt

Called Orange to complain about the sound problem and they promised to get a support person to call back to discuss the issue - They didn't ring back - What a surprise.

Anyway, I have a solution - Not perfect but it works. Basically set the volume to around mid way or just below. This stops the feedback. To reduce the volume I've stuck a small piece of PDA screen protector over the earpiece and this has really reduced the volume whilst still being able to hear the caller. Will Orange ever release a ROM update for C550 ? I Don't think so.

Guest Hollywoodsparky
Hmmm, interesting, could you do me a favour and check what the various software and hardware revisions are (Start > Settings > About)?

Mine are:

Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Version 4.21.1088 (Build 15159.2.6.4)

Radio Version 140.299.14_0.11.10

Operator ROM 8.2.1.10

Manufacturer ROM 1.0.1.12

Microsoft ROM 4.21.15159.0

Language ROM 1.0.1.12

Filesystem ROM 4.21.15159.0

Serial number HT525E313964 A

P/N 99HAW003-00

Thanks,

Chris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My phone has the same ROM update versions and has the high caller volume bug.

I would dearly like a fix for the problem, I do think it is a problem due to number of complaints.

I'll try Orange myself and if positive I'll post the reply. :)

Guest mini_man

there are actually new roms for this phone although they have been built in for the newly released ones bought during christmas and after for example

the latest orange c550s, dont come with the orange music player and have firmware of

Operator: 8.2.3.8

Manufacturer: 1.0.3.13

Microsoft: 4.21.15159.0

Language: 1.0.3.13

this was bought late new yr i think

this i the one i bought at christmas

Operator: 8.2.1.11

Manufacturer: 1.0.1.18

Language: 1.0.1.18

you see there are already rom updates that we are not allowed, i think that they also fix the sync trouble, i havent tried my self as i find it quicker to just drag and drop

you see there are already rom updates that we are not allowed, i think that they also fix the sync trouble, i havent tried my self as i find it quicker to just drag and drop

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So the obvious question (being wary of the rules in this forum) is, has anyone asked O if this is going on general release? If not, Where? How?

Edited by Metoo

So the obvious question (being wary of the rules in this forum) is, has anyone asked O if this is going on general release? If not, Where? How?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, right. How can I get those newer ROM versions if Orange never release them. Maybe there is some way you could extract the ROM and share with the others. Does the phone with the new version have the same problem with the volume? If not - that will be quite a good solution to the problem, right?

Guest mini_man

to be honest i used to have a problem with after recieving a txt my volume would go quiet when playing songs and music came of out headset and phone but after a hard reset it solved that, i also used to have the sound bug but i swear its gone now. i can have the phone next to my ear without trouble.

so lets talk roms

there is a way of backing up a rom which is on gpcarreons website which unfortunatley is down due to bandwith grr.

but even so we are not aloud to post it onto the forum due to legal reasons, and we are only aloud to post them when there is a genuine release.

i will call orange and have a word with the technical advisor to see what they think

Guest mini_man

i called them and they told me they dont transfer calls to the technical help desk and she told me that they dont transfer calls to them????

i have been transfered to the technical team hundreds of times so what different now.

she told me to email them. I will email with my question and then give them a link to this thread and make sure they read it and understand that it seems that these new unoficial updates seem to be fixing problems.

will get back to you guys with a reply

Sam

i sent a very long email with all the facts and made sure i didnt miss anything.

i bet i get no reply

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hope you get one. Thank you for the effort you invest into that. I believe I speak for many people. It is good to see people, who care like you out there :)

Guest mini_man

thank you very much reopru its nice to know efforts are appreciated.

the email i sent sums up the each different rom i have noticed, different problems and what i want them to do it really was quite long.

I shall post the reply as soon as i get one as im sure a lot of you are waiting to see what they says.

Guest mini_man

Hey guys orange replied!!!

yeh so after stating 3 times that there is definetly a newer rom installed on these newly bought phones and showing them the rom update figures i got this very useful reply

Dear Sam

Thank you for your mail

Please be advised that at the present time we do not have any software updates

available for this particular handset. There may be an update released in future

however we are not able to specify a date.

I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause

Kind regards

Charlie

Orange Customer Services

aw its nice that orange put so much effort into reading my email, of course there isnt any software updates, that is why people have newer roms, oh yes that is how it works???????

any way guys do not be disgruntled i will persist and orange will be expecting another email from me and i will be much more clear this time and repeat things many many times till they get it into there heads that there is CLEARLY a rom update.

Hey guys orange replied!!!

yeh so after stating 3 times that there is definetly a newer rom installed on these newly bought phones and showing them the rom update figures i got this very useful reply

aw its nice that orange put so much effort into reading my email, of course there isnt any software updates, that is why people have newer roms, oh yes that is how it works???????

any way guys do not be disgruntled i will persist and orange will be expecting another email from me and i will be much more clear this time and repeat things many many times till they get it into there heads that there is CLEARLY a rom update.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Be sure to send it to [email protected] :)

Guest mini_man

this is the email which i expect a reply too

Hello charlee its sam here again,

I do not believe you have read my email clearly and thoroughly but dont worry i will some it all up again.

In your last email you claimed that

"we do not have any software updates available for this particular handset"

but clearly you are mistaken, i very clearly stated in my last email that there definetly 100% postively is a rom update withought a doubt. Please please read these figures from other c550s

Here is the example of an old c550

Operator 8.2.1.10

Manufacturer 1.0.1.12

Microsoft 4.21.15159.0

Language 1.0.1.12

and here is an example of a new c550

Operator: 8.2.3.8

Manufacturer: 1.0.3.13

Language: 1.0.3.13

now charlee i dont know if you can see this properly but if you look closely at the figures of the new and old c550 you may be able to tell that the :

operator has gone from 8.2.1.10 to 8.2.3.8

manufacturer has gone from 1.0.1.12 to 1.0.3.13

language has gone from 1.0.1.12 to 1.0.3.13

now charlee hopefull you can tell that the numbers have gone up! this means there are new versions for each section and new versions equal Rom updates!!!

So i hope you can clearly understand now that there are unannounced rom updates, now with methods i can obtain rom updates from the newer mobiles with simple extraction methods but this is concidered illegal so i would never concider doing this.

So again im asking you very politley to release these updates, and please i dont want any pointless excuses i can see through like "we do not have any software updates available for this particular handset" and "It may be a misprint".

I am sending this email from me and my fellow forum members who are all eagerly awaiting this rom update. If this is an email you cannot have an answer too please forward this on too someone higher up who can find a proper answer.

If you have any problems or need me to repeat anything you can contact me at *********** from 4:30pm to 12pm from monday to friday and anytime at the weekends

Thanks in advance

Sam Rosen.

Edited by greenturtle

mini-man YOU are GREAT :D

I really look forward to the reply you will get from O regarding this issue. I looks like they might have got a "head scratcher" from you....which is nice :) about time they get some serious thinking going.

Thanks a million for your effort. REALLY look forward to the answer from O.

Just wanted to give you my full support...thats all :)

mini-man YOU are GREAT  :)

I really look forward to the reply you will get from O regarding this issue. I looks like they might have got a "head scratcher" from you....which is nice  :D  about time they get some serious thinking going.

Thanks a million for your effort. REALLY look forward to the answer from O.

Just wanted to give you my full support...thats all  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Metoo. Let's just hope the lack of spell checking doesn't detract from its weight :D

Guest mini_man

hey no fair i was in a rush, well you send a grammatically correct complaint to orange, there not gonna care!!

btw i hope u r being sarcy.

hey thanks for the support spider i am also very keen to hear what they have too say for them selves!!

so guys keep checking back here,

you will here it first from the mini_man!!