Volume Problems.

Guest PaulT

Has anyone else had volume problems with the C550? This is the second one that I have had and both have been very LOUD during calls, even on the lowest setting.

I have also had a feedback type noise occasionally when making calls on both the C550 handsets that I have had.

Are these phones just very loud? I don't want to send another one back only to receive one with exactly the same problem.

Thanks.

Guest pd.ryder

Mine's the same. I've sent 1 back already because of it. The replacement was fine initially but now it seems set to 'loud' whatever the in-call volume slider is set to, just like the last one.

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Same here, the volume control works fine for loudspeaker and other applications but when I am on a call it stays on the loudest volume :o

If I am using my BT headset then its fine.

Have exactly the same issue. Volume very loud with feedback. Even at lowest setting doesn't seem to make any difference. Orange told me phone is faulty. Do you think this is the case or they will be a firmware update to correct ?

Glad that it isn't just me then, I was starting to wonder whether I just had sensitive ears!

Looks like I will be sending this phone back as well then, no point having a phone that I can't really use to make calls, at least not comfortably.

As hotphil says there is no point waiting around for a firmware update as with Orange/HTC track record that could take months, if ever. Hopefully this isn't an inherent fault with all the C550's as it's a pretty good phone apart from the call problems.

First phone arrived and I couldn't turn down the volume during a call, I've got my second one now and it has the same problem. I've got a third one coming tomorrow morning, but I'm not holding my breath. The volume bar on the display changes, but the speaker remains painfully loud and distorted.

Sounds to me like a software issue rather than hardware. Is it likely to get fixed if it is software? Do HTC have a website for bug-reports / firmware updates? Should I try for another replacement if number three doesn't work, or do I just live with it?

Cheers,

Chris.

i do not get this problem on my dutch C550 the volume goes up and down without a problem  :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm, interesting, could you do me a favour and check what the various software and hardware revisions are (Start > Settings > About)?

Mine are:

Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Version 4.21.1088 (Build 15159.2.6.4)

Radio Version 140.299.14_0.11.10

Operator ROM 8.2.1.10

Manufacturer ROM 1.0.1.12

Microsoft ROM 4.21.15159.0

Language ROM 1.0.1.12

Filesystem ROM 4.21.15159.0

Serial number HT525E313964 A

P/N 99HAW003-00

Thanks,

Chris

First phone arrived and I couldn't turn down the volume during a call, I've got my second one now and it has the same problem. I've got a third one coming tomorrow morning, but I'm not holding my breath. The volume bar on the display changes, but the speaker remains painfully loud and distorted.

Sounds to me like a software issue rather than hardware.  Is it likely to get fixed if it is software? Do HTC have a website for bug-reports / firmware updates? Should I try for another replacement if number three doesn't work, or do I just live with it?

Cheers,

Chris.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did your new phone have the same problem? Received my third C550 today and it has the same problem, you can't have the phone near your ear when making calls.

Seems to be a problem with all the C550's which means it isn't worth sending the phone back for a fourth time. I doubt that there will be a firmware update, Orange don't even seem to be acknowledging this as a problem.

It's a great phone apart from this problem, it is just really annoying when trying to make calls on it.

Did your new phone have the same problem? Received my third C550 today and it has the same problem, you can't have the phone near your ear when making calls.

Seems to be a problem with all the C550's which means it isn't worth sending the phone back for a fourth time. I doubt that there will be a firmware update, Orange don't even seem to be acknowledging this as a problem.

It's a great phone apart from this problem, it is just really annoying when trying to make calls on it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Strangely, some people have had replacements with working volume controls and it seems peekie's Dutch 550 also has working volume, which is why I would love to see if there are any differences in the various firmware and ROM versions...

C

Mine works fine.

Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition

Version 4.2.1.1088 (Build 15159.2.6.4)

Operator: 8.2.1.10

Manufacturer: 1.0.1.12

Microsoft: 4.21.12159.0

Language: 1.0.1.12

File System: 4.21.12519.0

--Rich

Edited by RichA

Well all those numbers are the same as mine, I wonder if there is a later hardware revision. My serial number is followed by the letter A, which might indicate a first revision. Then again I might just be clutching at straws...

Just hurts my ear every time I ring Orange customer services to arrange for yet another delivery. We'll se what phone number three brings...

Cheers,

Chris

Guest pd.ryder

As per my previous posting O replaced mine because of this issue. Initially, the replacement was fine but now it's back top vol no matter what it's set to. Gotta be software, surely, if it was ok to start with?

Guest ricardo the fish

Dang! I've started to notice this volume problem on my C550. Seemed okay at first, but now it's really quite loud. I'm not sure if turning the vol down on the phone first will help. (it will certainly make it very difficult to hear the phone ring in the first place - but you never know!)

edit: what was I thinking, the two volume controls are independant!

Edited by ricardo the fish

Dang! I've started to notice this volume problem on my C550. Seemed okay at first, but  now it's really quite loud. I'm not sure if turning the vol down on the phone first will help. (it will certainly make it very difficult to hear the phone ring in the first place - but you never know!)

edit: what was I thinking, the two volume controls are independant!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I just got my third C550 from Orange and once again the in-call volume does not work properly. There is a teeny, tiny change in the volume between the highest and lowest setting, but it is really barely noticeable. If I phone Orange again and ask for another phone they are going to start to think I am taking the pi*s.

I guess we just have to live with it. By the sounds of it a fix from HTC or Orange will not happen, wonder if patches exist for Qtek or Imate versions. I doubt yet another phone will fix the problem. Is this already in the bugs thread?

On the plus side, I now have three sets of C550 accessories and memory cards.

Will keep an eye on the situation,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I wonder if the problem could be related to a setting in the reg database..it is for sure a software problem, no doubt about that, as the volume control seems to work in speaker mode and in other situations like for example the media player....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Codmate
I wonder if the problem could be related to a setting in the reg database..it is for sure a software problem, no doubt about that, as the volume control seems to work in speaker mode and in other situations like for example the media player....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm also suffering with volume issues on the Orange SPV C550 :D

The volume is just way too loud whatever I do. The 'Earpiece volume' control works (although it's a little ropey and slow for such an important control), but the most quiet volume is still simply much too loud. God knows who would use the loudest volume - I'm quite sure it could be heard on Saturn (yes - all this is *without* speakerphone mode on)!

There's also a speaker at the bottom of the device right next to the microphone, which seems to be constantly on, meaning that there is a strange echoing delay effect to all calls. This is an insane design flaw frankly - anybody with two brain cells to rub together will tell you this is a recipe for feedback.

Surely there must be a way of hacking this device to (a) turn off the speaker next to the microphone during phone conversations; and (:) Change the range of the 'Earpiece Volume' control...

Here's the numbers for my phone:

Version 4.21.1088 (Build 15159.2.6.4)

Operator 8.2.1.11

Manufacturer: 1.0.1.18

Microsoft: 4.21.15159.0

Language 1.0.1.18

File System: 4.21.15159.0

I'm hoping we can find a solution to this before i have tinnitus...

I'm almost tempted to go back to my T610 - which, while it couldn't do half the things the C550 can, was *much* better for making phonecalls.

Edited by Codmate

there is no speaker next to the mic at the bottom of the c 550. the small dot in the very middle of keyboard below the keyboard is the light sensor for the backlight of the keyboard. the 2 small holes to the left of the mic is for a wrist band! !

there is only a speaker at the very top above the display.

if there were acoustic feedback you would here it as a loud wistle sound and not as the volume would be to loud, though the wistle would be very loud.

Guest Codmate
there is no speaker next to the mic at the bottom of the c 550. the small dot in the very middle of keyboard below the keyboard is the light sensor for the backlight of the keyboard. the 2 small holes to the left of the mic is for a wrist band! !

there is only a speaker at the very top above the display.

if there were acoustic feedback you would here it as a loud wistle sound and not as the volume would be to loud, though the wistle would be very loud.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a speaker next to the mic.

Play some music on your C550 - listen to the bottom of the phone. There is clearly audio coming from both ends of the phone. the same goes for speakerphone mode.

This speaker is only on very quietly when making phone calls (I assume it is not meant to be on at all) but, although it only seems to be causing feedback for some people, does create a weird delay effect.

I know what feedback is thanks.

There is a speaker next to the mic.

Play some music on your C550 - listen to the bottom of the phone. There is clearly audio coming from both ends of the phone. the same goes for speakerphone mode.

This speaker is only on very quietly when making phone calls (I assume it is not meant to be on at all) but, although it only seems to be causing feedback for some people, does create a weird delay effect.

I know what feedback is thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, be my guest, try to disassemble your phone and see that there is no speaker next to the mic.

What you hear might very well be the sound which is conducted through the chassis of the phone. This is a well known phenomena for all sound carrying elements like speakers, chassis of different things (cars, phones etc) even your skull (this is called bone conducting, were a small vibrator is mounted on your mastoide or forehead and the skull is tranforming the vibration to a sound which is heard by the midle ear and inner ear...I am working with this stuff on a daily basis...)

But if you can prove that there is a physical speaker next to the mic, I will sent you a Danish X-mas beer....where ever you might be

BTW: if there were a speaker, I would beleive that the specs would say so or at least the manufacture would make it a big point in saying that there would be like stereo speakers or what ever they might call it, build in....

enough said....now grap your screwdriver and carry on with the disassambling :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to this sound problem thread, I bought my son the C550 for Christmas. We have found that when he has the earpiece volume set down to nothing, using the volume control on the side of the phone, the volume is still there, albeit low, but he gets very loud feed back in the earpiece, suggesting there may well be a speaker problem. The only way we have found round this is to have the earpiece volume set somewhere in the middle. Has anyone anymore thoughts on this problem?