Washing machine + C550 = Dead

Guest davidhorn

Guest taffy.apple
Well, it was still doing it's red LED glowing thing, which slowly dimmed as you removed power.  There's obviously a short somewhere on the board, and I'm not going capacitor hunting. ;-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well i suppose it is now too late to go a hunting! but im shore it would of been good fun!! Just got myself a c550 and love it although I have just come from a sony ericsson k700i its alot to adjust to but I'm no longer looking back, the futures bright the futures orange mwahahaha ;) :D

I dropped my C550 in a bucket, it was in it for approx 1 min.

Had the red LED of death too.

Quickly took the back off (which is nigh on impossible at the best of times), shook all the water out and removed the sim and memory card.

Had to go to work so I left it on it's back all day.

Came home and pointed a hair-dryer on warm, about 2-3 foot away.

I had it back to the dryer, on it's side (against a couple of shoes) and left it for 2 hours.

I waited a while for it to cool to room temp and turned it on.

It worked!!!

All that was wrong was that the screen had a mottled effect, like a map of the world on it.

This improved with time and the next morning it was back to full working order. It even shifted the one speck of dust that was catching the sun.

Guest manocheese

My E200 went once in to a pint of Dr Pepper and once in to the toilet (it was in my shirt pocket when I leaned over the loo to open the window), both times I got it to work again just by drying it off. Bluetooth died, but that doesn't matter, it's my emergency spare now, I'm a lot more careful with my C550.

Electronics can be robust, I've spilled a pint of beer in to a old C64, knocked a capacitor off a modem and all sorts. Of course, sometimes it works the other way, our Sky digital box breaks if you look at it funny, it even changes the channel when you try to watch channel 5. Luckily there isn't much on Channel 5 worth watching.

Guest fluffcat1

All that was wrong was that the screen had a mottled effect, like a map of the world on it.

This improved with time and the next morning it was back to full working order. It even shifted the one speck of dust that was catching the sun.

This can be sorted by cleaning the metallic backing behind the LCD - it's a tide / watermark from the dried water / gunk shining through.

Richard

This can be sorted by cleaning the metallic backing behind the LCD - it's a tide / watermark from the dried water / gunk shining through.

Richard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It had totally gone by the morning, thanks for the info though. Will come in handy for the next time.

Guest vtdstein95

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had a "similar" experience with a SMT 5600. See my first post (bottom one at the link below).

How (not) to clean your phone

Five months later and the phone is still working great although the dust is starting to gather again. Too lazy to apply the fix...and eagerly expecting some carrier in the US to offer a Tornado variant.

Edited by vtdstein95

• 2 weeks later...

Although the reply is late:

For number portability, they can give you a temp number, you keep your old number and forward it to the temp number. It might cost you some extra, but if you really love your old one it is worth the effort.

Maybe if you really beg, they won't charge you for the forward.

Technically,

It IS possible to switch your number between contracts, it just isn't something the CS agent can do. The software however can manage, so all they have to do is escalate it to a 3rd/4th line heldesk ;)

Guest monkeygadge

You definatelty can switch your number, you need to ask for a PAC (portable authenticity code) from your old network which allows your new network to ask for the number to be transferred. Once you submit your PAC you will get a date when the transfer will take place (can be a few weeks later). Some people have experienced some problems with the transfer also.