Washing machine + C550 = Dead

Guest davidhorn

Guest davidhorn

Well, it had to happen - I put my C500 through the washing machine. Even worse, unprotected by a pocket as I just scooped all the clothes off the bed, and it must have been underneath. :o

The only sign of life when I took it out was the LED glowing solid red. Nothing since, but I haven't tried as there still seems to be water under the screen. It's sitting on the AGA right now, and will let it rest on the air vent for the car later today when I go out.

Should I rinse through it with purified water? It did get through the whole cycle, including the rinse, so I guess it might be OK. Unfortunately, it was a 1000rpm cycle.

On to the next complaint - Orange cancelled my Orange Care a year ago and didn't tell me. I didn't pay close attention to the bills (I pay by direct debit, so only check the total) and so I have no insurance.

Two months of the contract to go, so get put through to the retentions department. Turns out I can buy my way out for 38 quid, then get a new C550 and the Student Package for free at an Orange shop. Disadvantage - I lose my current number. Can they sort something out at Orange? No. I'm sure the guy did the best he could, and he sounded as frustrated as me.

Turns out they can't transfer a number between contracts.

So... has anyone else ever had a C500 survive the washing machine?

Guest nevawlkalone
Well, it had to happen - I put my C500 through the washing machine.  Even worse, unprotected by a pocket as I just scooped all the clothes off the bed, and it must have been underneath.  :P

The only sign of life when I took it out was the LED glowing solid red.  Nothing since, but I haven't tried as there still seems to be water under the screen.  It's sitting on the AGA right now, and will let it rest on the air vent for the car later today when I go out.

Should I rinse through it with purified water?  It did get through the whole cycle, including the rinse, so I guess it might be OK.  Unfortunately, it was a 1000rpm cycle.

On to the next complaint - Orange cancelled my Orange Care a year ago and didn't tell me.  I didn't pay close attention to the bills (I pay by direct debit, so only check the total) and so I have no insurance. 

Two months of the contract to go, so get put through to the retentions department.  Turns out I can buy my way out for 38 quid, then get a new C550 and the Student Package for free at an Orange shop.  Disadvantage - I lose my current number.  Can they sort something out at Orange?  No.  I'm sure the guy did the best he could, and he sounded as frustrated as me. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You could take it to the dry cleaners :o :( :lol:

Guest pd.ryder

Shame about the number porting. Mind you, £38 doesn't seem too bad to get you out of the do-do. Would they give you a 'trial' on txts (30 free) so you could txt all your mates your new number? :o

Guest awarner [MVP]

Interesting it still had a sign of life, best to keep the battery etc out and leave the phone for quite afew days without turning it on.

As for the soap powder\liquid you use that will be an unknown to wether it can cause residue to short out the circuitry or not.

As for saving your existing number then it's swapping network time.

Guest nevawlkalone
Well, it had to happen - I put my C500 through the washing machine.  Even worse, unprotected by a pocket as I just scooped all the clothes off the bed, and it must have been underneath.  :o

The only sign of life when I took it out was the LED glowing solid red.  Nothing since, but I haven't tried as there still seems to be water under the screen.  It's sitting on the AGA right now, and will let it rest on the air vent for the car later today when I go out.

Should I rinse through it with purified water?  It did get through the whole cycle, including the rinse, so I guess it might be OK.  Unfortunately, it was a 1000rpm cycle.

On to the next complaint - Orange cancelled my Orange Care a year ago and didn't tell me.  I didn't pay close attention to the bills (I pay by direct debit, so only check the total) and so I have no insurance. 

Two months of the contract to go, so get put through to the retentions department.  Turns out I can buy my way out for 38 quid, then get a new C550 and the Student Package for free at an Orange shop.  Disadvantage - I lose my current number.  Can they sort something out at Orange?  No.  I'm sure the guy did the best he could, and he sounded as frustrated as me. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most fone companies have a special department which deals specifica;lly with people moving networks. If you mentionto them that your contract is up and that yu are debating going to a differnet network, they will try n giv u a half decent offer to keep you with them n not anutha network!!!

Guest davidhorn

OK, will do what you guys suggested. I tried to whip the back off to see if there was any corrosion, but there seems to be some type of threadlock on the screw under the warranty void sticker. Will leave the phone another few days then drill the screw out and take a look.

I'm going to cancel the contract tonight and renew on another number. I get the C550 free, and the Student Package (120 minutes, 1000 free texts and half price landline calls) for 25 quid a month. Well, thirty if you include Orange care. :-)

Many thanks for all your advice!

David.

Guest splash-man

It is worth trying to find somebody with a vacuum chamber. Pop the phone in a vacuum chamber and the pump will remove all of the moisture.

To get any chance of it working again you must leave the battery out.

Guest fluffcat1
OK, will do what you guys suggested.  I tried to whip the back off to see if there was any corrosion, but there seems to be some type of threadlock on the screw under the warranty void sticker.  Will leave the phone another few days then drill the screw out and take a look.

I'm going to cancel the contract tonight and renew on another number.  I get the C550 free, and the Student Package (120 minutes, 1000 free texts and half price landline calls) for 25 quid a month.  Well, thirty if you include Orange care. :-)

Many thanks for all your advice!

David.

Hello,

I'd strip it, remove the screen and immerse in an electronic waterbath of IPA for half an hour, then scrub the parts with a toothbrush. Don't put the LCD in the IPA, and don't put the LCD in a vacuum chamber!!

If you've caught it quickly most of the damage will be reversible - the short causing the red LED is a bit worrying though.

Richard

I'm guessing you dont mean IPA as in the bitter :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You could try to port your number to another networks payg phone and then port it back to Orange.

You would need to check if the networks will allow this and what time frame / conditions are impossed by the networks, as some will only allow the number to be ported at the time of connection.

Guest fluffcat1
I'm guessing you dont mean IPA as in the bitter :o

No, sorry, India Pale Ale won't do your phone much good..

Isopropyl Alcohol, available from maplins etc.

Richard

Guest dolphinsmile

My c500 fell over 100ft onto concrete today and it still works.

There is impact damage down the left hand side but its not battered. The bottom left of the LCD screen is shattered but the right hand side still works only in the colours red with a hint of blue, the plastic cover over the screen is fine. All the software I have works well and I can make and received calls.

i've heard about "taking good care of your phone" but surely not to this extreme! lol :o (just kidding)

I am also surprised that the LED came on! You should be able to see in your monthly bills if the orange care was cancelled whenever it was... if not then you can argue the case

Orange will let you port a number to one of their PAYG SIM cards. Then you could port it back to a new contract a couple of months later. (This is what I was told by OCS.) :roll:

Guest fluffcat1
Orange will let you port a number to one of their PAYG SIM cards. Then you could port it back to a new contract a couple of months later. (This is what I was told by OCS.)  :roll:

I used to 'churn' onto the same network as a new customer by using a virgin PAYG sim pack as a temporary home - back in the days when you had to wait 28 days rather than 5...

one2one (as then) couldn't see the stupidity on their part of letting me move to a virtual branch of their own network and moving back at their cost ( they did the network operations for virgin at that time as well ) rather than giving me a cheaper phone...

Richard

Guest Geeklord

There's hope still. Here's a documented case (shortened for your viewing pleasure)

There was a company who experienced a flood a few years back. In their office was a laserjet printer that was, along with everything else, submerged in not so clean water. However, the proprietors had an early enough warning that they cut all power to all appliances.

When the flood receeded, they got the printer and rinsed it clean inside and out. And then blow-dried the whole enchilada. They plugged it in and voila, it worked.

The moral of the story is, although water and electronics don't mix too well, the damage done by water is not as drastic as movies portray (no fatal electric shocks or explosions... well the fatal electric shocks may depend on the unit). The amount of current flowing in you phone should not be sufficient to burn the whole motherboard.

The red LED means there is an electrical problem. The phone works, but the flow of current is interrupted somewhere between the battery and where it should be.

Try disassembling it (to a point where you can still reassemble it), rinsing with clean water (detergents carry corrosive agents which are harmful to plastics and intricate metalworks of circuitry) and making sure that it is bone dry. You can blow-dry it, but not to close to the LCD nor the clear screen--It will warp. Make sure the battery is functional--it maybe wise to purchase a new battery (batteries have a special liquid-sensitive sticker on it that will let technicians know that it has been subjected to even excessive humidity, much more submersion). If my guess is correct, your phone should breathe life once more.

Good news!  No, the C500 hasn't come back from the dead, but I'm now the proud owner of a C550.  Bloody good it is too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

give it a good test - the destruction test

tumbler... lol

Guest davidhorn

Well, after a week or two it still isn't working, so I peeled the back off and took a look inside. The ribbon cable to the display has torn so I've binned it. I did save the front (no idea whether the buttons work or not) so that's free to anyone that wants it.

Guest davidhorn

Well, it was still doing it's red LED glowing thing, which slowly dimmed as you removed power. There's obviously a short somewhere on the board, and I'm not going capacitor hunting. ;-)