Orange Messenger - is in Friendly User Trial stage

Guest Rarebit

Guest Rarebit

was trying to access my orange email on the m3100, but got an error. so I removed the lower part of the url to leave the domain only, like so:

http://mdspps.orange.co.uk/

got the Orange Messenger Friendly user trial page... This would explain why the m3100 (or any other current devices?) doesn't ship with MS Messenger.

Guest rickwookie

This is interesting. So this is the network's next big thing? Remove MSN messenger and replace it with a very similar client that allows you to only chat with limited number users on the same network who also are using the same new unheard of client, as opposed to say the hole of the msn network? Brilliant! :D

Just looking through the guide I noticed this...

..."Unlike most instant messaging clients, Orange Messenger does not allow you to be added to someone's Contact list without your permission. Likewise, you must get permission from others to add them to your Contact list."

Which messaging client have they been using that allows anyone to add you to thier contact list without authorisation?

Edited by rickwookie

Guest jimbouk

Havent read it all, but understood previously that there idea was an orange IM app that allowed you to chat via their Im client over gprs or text (ie revenue enhancing).

Am I being silly or doesn't MSN allow you to do exactly the same (ie the text to mobiles version)?

Guest MARKUKCOUK
This is interesting. So this is the network's next big thing? Remove MSN messenger and replace it with a very similar client that allows you to only chat with limited number users on the same network who also are using the same new unheard of client, as opposed to say the hole of the msn network? Brilliant! :D

Just looking through the guide I noticed this...

..."Unlike most instant messaging clients, Orange Messenger does not allow you to be added to someone's Contact list without your permission. Likewise, you must get permission from others to add them to your Contact list."

Which messaging client have they been using that allows anyone to add you to thier contact list without authorisation?

You can set MSN up like that.

Its under privacy "Anyone can send me messages" or "Contacts need to add me to send messages". You can also add "All Others" to your allow list.

Although for the past 2 years, microsoft made it default to the more secure option. However, before that, the default was allow all.

Guest WILBUR

Actually the service is supposed to be interoperable across the different mobile networks (except H3G, who are sticking with MSN), each of whom will launch a version of the service under their own brand.

Welsh people will know where I'm coming from when I say uch-a-fi! Why are they bothering? Unless it allows people to contact MSNers and Yahoo Messengers I dont think this is going to catch on. And lets hope that isn't the finished GUI.

The whole scenario is a farce, they can't tell if you're using Messenger or Agile anyway.

Although the idiots out there won't know that and will install this, and then we'll be left with another steaming great pile of proprietary interfaces/protocols, much like the browser wars, which only lasted ... oooooh ... oh wait they haven't finished yet! :D

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

This has been coming since the start of this year. MSN has been dropped, the networks are installing their own system with a different billing structure (which works out more pricy no doubt). T-Mob were first to drop PocketMSN way back when the MDA Pro was launched, Orange followed suit in May with the M600 and recently with the M3100. Nice that we customers get a choice, eh?

Guest Pondrew

Funnily enough though T-Mobile forgot to specify that their rom updates shouldn't have Pocket MSN in. Result being that the MDA Pro's sold with the latest rom DID have Messenger as did every device updated.

Remains to be seen if the Vario II will or won't have it...

Guest paul1664

This is quite interesting... if this is designed to be used cross network - ie. the network operators are colluding - at the expense of blocking MSN / Yahoo / All other Messengers, then there could be a case of operating a cartel to answer to.

Anyone know a good lawyer?

Guest pete.major
This is quite interesting... if this is designed to be used cross network - ie. the network operators are colluding - at the expense of blocking MSN / Yahoo / All other Messengers, then there could be a case of operating a cartel to answer to.

Anyone know a good lawyer?

Man, from reading the document it looks crappy. Compare it to Live Messenger and it looks outdated before it's even released.

Does anyone know if this is supposed to run on all phones (Nokia etc). Is it Java based? If so it's probably a "lowest common denominator" piece of software ie. can only implement features available on all phones. Again unlike messenger which leverages integration into WM5.

Sigh

Well if O think I'm installing a JVM just to run some POS messenger client that looks like that and costs me money, they've got another thing coming!!