Giving Symbian & the Nokia 6682 a try...

Guest nickcornaglia

Guest nickcornaglia

A NEWBIE POST FROM ME...BREAKING ALL OF THE RULES!!!!

I just ordered a Nokia 6682 (6680).

This will be my first NON-WINDOWS-MOBILE phone since the original SPV was out!

If I like it...I may upgrade to a N80 or another N-Series phone.

- Tell me what I dont know about my new phone and Symbian.

- This is a Series 60 phone....can't find if it is 3rd Edition...do you know?

- Seems like there is a ton of software available. More expensive than MS Software. Any recommendations?

- Can I sync with Outlook seemlessly as a MS Smartphone?

I don't know what I don't know. But I'm learning. Give me support on my new venture!!! :)

Guest sporkguy

Why did you go with such an old Symbian phone?

Admittedly its a good starting point though.

It's not 3rd edition as only the latest phones are 3E - the N90, N91, N80, etc

There's plent of softwares available, and most have a trial. If there's anything you particularly like on the WM platform at the moment, there's usually a symbian equivalent or version.

Nokia's latest version of PC Suite is brilliant according to my best mate - and works almost seamlessly with Outlook :)

Guest nickcornaglia

I went with the 6682 because, even though I bought it on ebay, it is the current Cingular Nokia phone. It was only $200 which is the 2-yr contract price at Cingular. I didnt want to spend $500-600 on the N80 until I am sure I like all of the differences between Symbian and Windows Mobile.

If I like it, then I'll upgrade. If I don't, I'll either give it away to a family member or sell it again.

I think I'll like it though based on what I've read so far. If you ask me...there seems to be alot more software available for Symbian than for MS Smartphones.

Wish me luck...and thanks for the info!

Guest confucious

I had a 6680 and PC Suite is def NOT as good as AS - but it's better than the older versions and is not bad.

I have had a few symbian phones and prefer WM devices. 6680 now with my neice I'm back with a Universal.

I must admit the 6680 was the best symbian phone I have used and it wasn't bad, I just think WM phones are better but different people want different things. At work we were looking at WM devices but apparently are going with Symbian becauseit is a more stable platform (so thery say - I didn't think so!)

Good luck with it Encece, Enjoy!

Guest m1.carson

Hurry up encece,

I'm going to look at a V3x this very morning, same as you, been on windows since E100, being offered it on the net for ?15 per month for 18 mnths, but there are a few things I can't find out without holding it.

What type of h/phone connector has it got etc...etc.

A friend has an N70 and it takes 15 secs to open his messaging with the anti-virus running, 3 secs without, lots of virii for symbian, not so many yet for windows.

My Mpx200 [and my wife's samsung] has run out of signal at home in the last two months, but friends newer phones are still ok, I've tried four different operators as well, no good, is this a ploy to make us upgrade ?

Max.

Guest confucious

Not so many virii for WM?

There are NO virii apart from in labs - running a virus checker on a WM phone is a waste of time and resources.

Guest Jay3gsm

It's a waste of time using virus checkers on a Symbian phone, too. There is no way a virus can get on your phone without your knowledge. Simple steps like keeping Bluetooth turned off when in the wild, not accepting files from unkown sources, etc, will keep your phone virus free. To quote Steve Litchfield from AAS:

"A CHALLENGE FOR VIRUS WRITERS OR ANTI-VIRUS SCAREMONGERS:

The deal: I'll stand in a room with you and all your infected toys. I'll have a Series 60, a UIQ and a Series 80 smartphone, all set with Bluetooth to 'Discoverable'. I'll give you as long as you want to try and infect me in any way whatsoever, I'll even accept your SMS and MMS messages and generally communicate. If you succeed in infecting me, I'll hand over an obscene amount of money"

Read here:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/it...virus_scene.php

And here:

http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/viruses.htm

For more.

Guest nickcornaglia

Well, I've used it a week now and I must say........I DON'T LIKE IT!!!

My Thoughts:

NEGATIVE: The screen is a bit squatter than on a smartphone and most programs waste the top of the screen with a HUGE title.

NEGATIVE: Though it certainly feels solid...The 6682 is a bit heavy and a tiny bit too wide for my Smartphone tastes.

NEGATIVE: I refuse to buy a miniMMC card beyond the 64MB that came with it. Stupid format that I'll never use again. I'm not wasting my money.

POSITIVE: There is a ton of apps for Series 60 phones. Many of the same apps that are made for MS Smartphones. There are even a few out there that aren't available for MS phones.

NEGATIVE: Though I dont use push mail on MS phones (yet)...the pop3 client on the Nokia is cumbersome to maneuver and hard to read. I guess you could say it works well...but it is a step down from it's smartphone counterpart.

NEGATIVE: The phone is sloooooow! There is a pause in everything you do.

NEGATIVE: There doesn't seem to be any predictive dialing on the phone. I need to open contacts and start a contact lookup there that only looks up names....not names and numbers as on MS phones.

POSITIVE: Style-wise...the Nokia has a nice looking interface. I equated some features to that of a MAC compared to a PC. Like the IMAGING app that lets you scroll thru pics, rotating them in a 3D enviornment. Many apps are just asthetically pleasing to look at. Even the simpliest ones. MS needs to add Vista-ish looks to it's next phone OS.

NEUTRAL: The Standby screen on the Nokia seems to be mimicing the Smartphone homescreens. Though they are not nearly as customizable....I'm glad it was there showing next Calendar Entries, Tasks, Time/Date, profile, etc. I may be wrong but it doesn't seem like you can add more.

POSITIVE: The camera is cool, especially how it automatically launces when the slide cover is slid open. It takes pretty good pics and has a nice smooth 6x zoom. It has a decent NIGHT PHOTO option that lightens the pics in dark situations and a LED flash that seems to actually work in short distances.

NEGATIVE: It DOES sync with outlook. Contacts, Calendar, Notes and Tasks. But Contacts only syncs SOME of the information in the contact cards...not everything. And without elaborating...the calendar app, for some reason...just wasn't the same. Papyrus IS available for the phone....but why bother at this point? The phone is going to go! :)

All in all I'd say....nice for a phone novice....but not for me I guess. Someone find me a better phone!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest nickcornaglia

Posted on ebay before I went to sleep. Was sold when I woke up.

(I have this little trick of emailing a bunch of people bidding on the same phone in other auctions)

Bought it for $205...Sold it for $215-PayPal fees.

Is there a doctor that can take cure this disease?

Guest confucious

Glad you sold it OK, your experience is pretty similar to mine.

I'll stick with my HTC Universal - pretty near perfect for me, although the Hermes looks tempting :)

• 2 months later...

encece,

Take a look at the Nokia N73. It's much faster and more responsive than earlier symbian phones. It's actually a bit quicker than my C500 and SP5.

The camera is fantastic (although that's the one program that does seem slow to start up) and the standby screen is a copy of the WM PPC Today screen.

The main thing I miss from WM is Papyrus (not out for Symbian S60 3rd Edition yet) and the T9 contact lookup. On the other hand S60 has built in copy and paste and task switching.

PC Suite also has some cute features, like automatically syncing over Bluetooth every 10 mins or whenever I walk within 20 feet of my computer! The music player sounds good too and is integrated with WMP10.

X

Guest richard_d

I've just gone the other way - from Symbian/Nokia to HTC/WM5 and can't see me going back. The phones aren't bad - but Symbian is no where near as stable as WM5 and memory usage is a joke - slow and won't hold more than a couple of apps running at the same time. Whilst Active Sync isn't stunning, it's far better than Nokia's offering. Now if the N73 had run WM5 it could have been a killer smartphone for general users.

Richard

I've just gone the other way - from Symbian/Nokia to HTC/WM5 and can't see me going back. The phones aren't bad - but Symbian is no where near as stable as WM5 and memory usage is a joke - slow and won't hold more than a couple of apps running at the same time. Whilst Active Sync isn't stunning, it's far better than Nokia's offering. Now if the N73 had run WM5 it could have been a killer smartphone for general users.

Richard

I've got to agree. If I could find a Windows Smartphone (or PPC) that had Nokia's voice call quality, Bluetooth ability, build quality (might have got better since the C500 days), and CAMERA QUALITY I'd definitely pick it up.

Right now the camera and the overall size are both really important to me which rules out every WM phone I've seen. I was hopeful for the new iMate SPL but it doesn't have a flash.