Kaiser on T-Mobile "any day now" and surprising price

Guest chucky.egg

Guest nuttyphilt
yea will do but will tka like 2 weeks.

is there a limit how far into new contract you can port a number?

Not with T-Mobile I don't think. So you could start a new contract with them, and then in the meantime port your number out to someone else, wait a few days, then get the PAC number and port into your new T-Mobile contract.

Not with T-Mobile I don't think. So you could start a new contract with them, and then in the meantime port your number out to someone else, wait a few days, then get the PAC number and port into your new T-Mobile contract.

So - if you have a current contract with T-Mobile, why do you need to port away and back again? I don't understand this. Don't you just change your contract when it is at the end of its term?

Edited by rawly

Guest nuttyphilt
So - if you have a current contract with T-Mobile, why do you need to port away and back again? I don't understand this. Don't you just change your contract when it is at the end of its term?

The OP said he was on T-Mobile PAYG, I don't know much about it but I have heard that sometimes there's issues changing from PAYG to a contract on the same network. Therefore the easiest way to do it is to port out temporarily to another network (PAYG) then port back in. Seems ludicrous really!!

Guest andybarker
The OP said he was on T-Mobile PAYG, I don't know much about it but I have heard that sometimes there's issues changing from PAYG to a contract on the same network. Therefore the easiest way to do it is to port out temporarily to another network (PAYG) then port back in. Seems ludicrous really!!

As I understand it, to get the best deals you need to be a new customer. As such, the "easiest" way is to leave T-Mobile for a short while (or stop being a pay monthly cusomer, so go to PAYG) and then come back as a "new" customer.

The upgrade deals I got offered when my 18 month contract came up were considerably more expensive than for new customers. SO either "leave" and return as a new customer, or haggle with the retentions department.

Guest FloatingFatMan

I just got the following email from Powerup Mobile.

Dear Mr ************,

The stock due date for the Vario III has been put back to the end of October.

No money will be taken from your card untill the despatch of your handset is confirmed.

Apologies for the delay and any inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards

Grace

So, I guess it's not going to be out for a few more weeks yet. ;)

As I understand it, to get the best deals you need to be a new customer. As such, the "easiest" way is to leave T-Mobile for a short while (or stop being a pay monthly cusomer, so go to PAYG) and then come back as a "new" customer.

The upgrade deals I got offered when my 18 month contract came up were considerably more expensive than for new customers. SO either "leave" and return as a new customer, or haggle with the retentions department.

I'm nearly at the end of my 18mth contract and had rang CS about a fortnight ago to get them to switch off my voicemail as I was going on holiday. I asked about upgrade deals and how much I would be expected to pay for the Vario III when it comes out, I'd also asked about the 25% lifetime discount I have on my contract at the same time. Iwas told that I could keep the 25% discount but would basically be stuck with whatever price the upgrade was available for on the website, however if I was willing to loose the discount then they could match whatever offer was available for new users at the time of the upgrade.

Not sure how PAYG customers would be affected by this, but I'd imagine t-mobile would be happy to convert a casual user over to regular, set monthly payments.

Guest andybarker
I'm nearly at the end of my 18mth contract and had rang CS about a fortnight ago to get them to switch off my voicemail as I was going on holiday. I asked about upgrade deals and how much I would be expected to pay for the Vario III when it comes out, I'd also asked about the 25% lifetime discount I have on my contract at the same time. Iwas told that I could keep the 25% discount but would basically be stuck with whatever price the upgrade was available for on the website, however if I was willing to loose the discount then they could match whatever offer was available for new users at the time of the upgrade.

Not sure how PAYG customers would be affected by this, but I'd imagine t-mobile would be happy to convert a casual user over to regular, set monthly payments.

Tell them you are going to leave... that can get their attention. I've heard that the retentions department can do more than the normal sales department.

....they could match whatever offer was available for new users at the time of the upgrade.

Not sure how PAYG customers would be affected by this, but I'd imagine t-mobile would be ....

I spoke to them a few months ago too, asking for a PAC code, when asked why I said it was because the upgrade prices for the handsets were ridiculous compared with a new contract deal. I was told that , that instead of using the website, if I called them they would match any "NEW CUSTOMER" deal including any tariff discount offers.

Guest andybarker
I spoke to them a few months ago too, asking for a PAC code, when asked why I said it was because the upgrade prices for the handsets were ridiculous compared with a new contract deal. I was told that , that instead of using the website, if I called them they would match any "NEW CUSTOMER" deal including any tariff discount offers.

Somewhat simpler than migrating away then back! Once they release the Kaiser, I shall seriously consider taking that approach.

Still can't decide if the Kaiser is something I simply want, or something that will actually be a sensible upgrade. My Vario I spends most of the time being a normal phone, and even more time being used to play Solitare! Only use the PDA side of things on a rare occasion (and often then because I can do, rather than because I need to).

Having said that, i have just got one of those free O2 PAYG SIMs just incase i need a quick get-a-way to another netowork, to bring my numbe back!!! :-D

Guest Stuart_f
Having said that, i have just got one of those free O2 PAYG SIMs just incase i need a quick get-a-way to another netowork, to bring my numbe back!!! :-D

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the network of choice for parking your number is Orange as they are the only major network not to charge for a PAC. I picked up two Orange payg sims for the sparling frice of £0.00 not long ago. In fact, a quick google leads me to this page and they are still doing them free.

I've never been charged for a PAC either, I think that it may even be illegal as that would mean they are trying to put a disincentive in your way to stop you leaving. You can be charged if you're still under contract but that's different, there's also an admin charge for an unlock code from most networks if you're out of contract, but again that's a different thing.

cant get the orange deal to work.

i ahve a load of 02 ones though.

how much do they charge for a pac? i have never been charged before?

I too have never been charged for a PAC, just got on from T-Mo (not used yet, got it as a precaution as vodafone were due release the Kaiser last week), but in previous years I've been with voad and O2 and no charge...

Guest rickyburke

That doesnt necessarily mean the T-Mob date has fallen that far back, if even at all, but Powerupmobile will need to have stock before shipping orders, and as we were getting close to their given date, they needed to change it so as to not get disgruntled customers moaning.

T-Mobile website says September, in-store they say 2nd week of October.

Either way, It's safe to assume that the date given by Powerupmobile is a guess and more indicative of them not knowing when its released than anything else.

Was speaking today to a lady from T-Mobile Business Sales, she explained that there was talk around the office that the Vario III was going to be released today (25th Sept). However she took my number and said she would call back in the afternoon with more details including pricing for the handset.

Expecting to never hear from her again, I did infact recieve a call back. She explained that the handset wasnt to be released today and that she would contact me as soon as it was available. Now, it would be foolish to NOT take any of this with a pinch of salt, but I do strangely enough believe her. She sounded creditable throughout the conversation; knowing her products and services extremely well. But still, I dont think I'm going to be holding my breath.

As for pricing, £279.99 RRP, with my price for the handset looking to be somewhere around the £150 mark. However this was to be confirmed on release.