TG01 - Weird noises during calls

Guest Chris_R

It's strange because after complaining ove the phone to Orange, they sent me a replacement handset and said that this was the best they could do, even when I said it would probably not remedy the fault as it is Toshiba software/firmware related and they don't have a fix yet. They sent me one anyway.

Power up, re-config ... etc etc and the phone runs with the same software as the original "non voice phone" and after 2 days of use it has been fine, no noises, no voice breakup and it seems to run faster, and you can highlight sections of text in documents that I used to do on my old phones but couldn't do on the origianl TG01 ;) :D

It seems to me that , maybe, the network providers are issuing sub standard old versions of the handset as original devices and then when its clear that the complaint is verified of bad voice issues then we get the updated phone with the problem fixed; it could be hardware related or Toshiba would have offered a download to clear the fault as it's giving them a bad rep?

Suggest complaining to phone provider and insisting on new handset, I heard someone else had theirs replaced and it was fine then on, and others that are on their 2nd and 3rd replacements still with problems, but they were 2009. Lets hope that the 2010 versions that are sent out as replacements are all as good as mine.

My TG01 is now both a practical mobile/palm computer with a fast processor AND a useful telephone for voice communication, at last but worth the wait :(

Good luck with getting a replacement, and like me, you have put up with a poor device or too long and deserve a working replacement :D

Guest mcklane
It's strange because after complaining ove the phone to Orange, they sent me a replacement handset and said that this was the best they could do, even when I said it would probably not remedy the fault as it is Toshiba software/firmware related and they don't have a fix yet. They sent me one anyway.

Power up, re-config ... etc etc and the phone runs with the same software as the original "non voice phone" and after 2 days of use it has been fine, no noises, no voice breakup and it seems to run faster, and you can highlight sections of text in documents that I used to do on my old phones but couldn't do on the origianl TG01 ;) :D

Hi Mickh,

can you please try to test calls using GSM mode only in the phone settings (not HSDPA or AUTO)? I did quite few test calls, the voice quality is pretty rubbish for all the calls, however when I am calling using 2G (G icon on the top bar) it's even worse as I can hear banging noises on the other phone, usually they starts after a minute or so...

anyway i have complained to toshiba as well and I got the same old response...

Cheers

Guest Ács Lajos

It seems to me that , maybe, the network providers are issuing sub standard old versions of the handset as original devices and then when its clear that the complaint is verified of bad voice issues then we get the updated phone with the problem fixed; it could be hardware related or Toshiba would have offered a download to clear the fault as it's giving them a bad rep?

Suggest complaining to phone provider and insisting on new handset, I heard someone else had theirs replaced and it was fine then on, and others that are on their 2nd and 3rd replacements still with problems, but they were 2009. Lets hope that the 2010 versions that are sent out as replacements are all as good as mine.

My TG01 is now both a practical mobile/palm computer with a fast processor AND a useful telephone for voice communication, at last but worth the wait :(

Good luck with getting a replacement, and like me, you have put up with a poor device or too long and deserve a working replacement :D

Hi

The mail from higher level:

Thank you for contacting Toshiba Mobile Communications. Regarding your enquiry, the poor sound quality on WM 6.5, for Toshiba TG01.

This should be resolved soon as software testing is in process.Once the testing is completed and approved by operator we will be released to the customer via the normal channels.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again for further assistance and use the reference number found in the subject field for all enquiries.

Best Regards,

Yes it sounds like they are getting to the bottom of a solution. Maybe they are issuing handsets with a variety of fixes and users are unknowingly road testing the devices, may be me as one of them?

It seems like Toshiba have learnt from Microsoft and employ users for product proving and update as the feedback demands.

Hope you get sorted, mine is a good and servicable device now, at last.