TG01 - Weird noises during calls

Guest Chris_R

Guest Chris_R

Hi All,

I've had a TG01 for about 2 weeks (UK Orange) and am already on my third handset!

When I am making a call, the people at the other end can hear popping and banging noises. I cannot hear the noises at my end during the call but have made calls to my other mobile and heard the noises myself. I have also tried my SIM card in an old Sony Ericsson Z600 and did not experience the noises so it appears to be an issue with my TG01. It seems to happen when I am at home (GPRS/GSM) but not at work (3G/HSDPA). I've tried setting the phone to GSM only mode but that doesn't help.

For this reason, Orange have exchanged the phone twice but I have found that I am still experiencing the noises with the third handset. The noise is just a loud distorted bang and happens randomly. As you might expect, it has never happened when I have been on the phone to Orange so cross-network calls may be a factor too.

I've emailed Toshiba to see if this is a known issue but Orange claim they have no other reports of this problem. The phone does this in the default “as shipped” condition so isn't related to any additional software. I've also had some of the memory card issues discussed elsewhere. Could it be related? - seems unlikely...

Has anybody out there had similar problems or know what might be causing this? Not sure I can wait for a software update but would really like to keep the TG01 (with SPB Mobile Shell of course!)

Cheers,

Chris

Hi All,

I've had a TG01 for about 2 weeks (UK Orange) and am already on my third handset!

When I am making a call, the people at the other end can hear popping and banging noises. I cannot hear the noises at my end during the call but have made calls to my other mobile and heard the noises myself. I have also tried my SIM card in an old Sony Ericsson Z600 and did not experience the noises so it appears to be an issue with my TG01. It seems to happen when I am at home (GPRS/GSM) but not at work (3G/HSDPA). I've tried setting the phone to GSM only mode but that doesn't help.

For this reason, Orange have exchanged the phone twice but I have found that I am still experiencing the noises with the third handset. The noise is just a loud distorted bang and happens randomly. As you might expect, it has never happened when I have been on the phone to Orange so cross-network calls may be a factor too.

I've emailed Toshiba to see if this is a known issue but Orange claim they have no other reports of this problem. The phone does this in the default “as shipped” condition so isn't related to any additional software. I've also had some of the memory card issues discussed elsewhere. Could it be related? - seems unlikely...

Has anybody out there had similar problems or know what might be causing this? Not sure I can wait for a software update but would really like to keep the TG01 (with SPB Mobile Shell of course!)

Cheers,

Chris

check your power settings. I've got this issue when I used my phone under power saving mode. Try using the Custom mode and boost your CPU to max.

In a power saving mode, I tried using Skype test call and it didn't even record my voice, so I'd imagine there might be an issue with the sound hardware under low CPU operation.

Anyone else, who's willing to test phone calls /Skype test or normal call under power saving mode?

Chris,

I like you have also had replacements from Orange, two handsets.

The problem I encountered, the recieving end could hear a nocking noise every minute or so this was on both handset regardless of power setting; As I had mine configured to full power - testing memory card corruption.

Together with the memory corruption problem, I ended up giving the phone back and asking for a refund :D . Couldnt wait for a solution; sent serveral email to Toshiba no response. I am now looking for a new phone... Maybe touch pro 2 or may wait for HTC Leo

MB

Guest SinSilla

Don´t take the following as an offense, but a german user experienced a quite smiliar problem, and it has been his cheek which triggered the touchscreen tactile and audio feedback.  :D  

Other than that i haven´t heard of any other users having similar problems. 

But again it seems as if only the Orange Users are affected...strange.

Guest Chris_R

Thanks All.

No offence taken SinSilla!! I'm pretty sure I'm not activating the screen. It does it on the wired handsfree anyway :D

clmnw, I've tried turning up the CPU to max but initial impression is that it doesn't help. I'll give it a few days though.

No response from Toshiba to my email yet either. I am surprised that only a couple of other people seem to have had this problem as I've had 3 phones that does this so guess it's a flaw in the phone somewhere.

Do people think it's worth holding out for WinMo 6.5 on this phone or should I hand it back? Not sure what else to pick from Orange as a replacement though. Any suggestions???

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks All.

No offence taken SinSilla!! I'm pretty sure I'm not activating the screen. It does it on the wired handsfree anyway :D

clmnw, I've tried turning up the CPU to max but initial impression is that it doesn't help. I'll give it a few days though.

No response from Toshiba to my email yet either. I am surprised that only a couple of other people seem to have had this problem as I've had 3 phones that does this so guess it's a flaw in the phone somewhere.

Do people think it's worth holding out for WinMo 6.5 on this phone or should I hand it back? Not sure what else to pick from Orange as a replacement though. Any suggestions???

Cheers,

Chris

I'd only change the TG01 (although full of issues) with HTC Leo and it's not out yet. So my suggestion, wait for now. My experience shows than once settled with applications (do install all major like SPB MS3, Scandisk, etc on device built in drive and not on flash) things gradually smooth on.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chris_R
I'd only change the TG01 (although full of issues) with HTC Leo and it's not out yet. So my suggestion, wait for now. My experience shows than once settled with applications (do install all major like SPB MS3, Scandisk, etc on device built in drive and not on flash) things gradually smooth on.

Looks like I may have to wait in hope that this will be fixed in the WM 6.5 update. As I'm still having this and other problems with it I asked Orange to replace the phone with a different model. Apparently I am the first person who has asked, which doesn't really stack up with what other people have said on this forum, so it took them a few days to call me back and offer the HTC Touch 3G T3232 as a replacement. I don't really know the HTC's well but was expecting to be offered the Hero or maybe the Samsung 8910HD, which are the other "iphone alternatives" on the Orange website along with the Toshiba.

Is the T3232 even close to being an equivalent to the TG01? Is it any good in its own right?

Cheers

Guest Neil5459

The short answer is 'No' :D

The Touch 3G is the successor to the original HTC Touch. It is a small screen, small form factor phone. It is a good device- some say very good, but if you are looking for a large screen, VGA/WVGA and a fast processor this isn't for you. It won't be upgradable to WM6.5 as it's over 1 year old now.

The Samsung looks a better bet, but runs Symbian. This does limit some of your software options, but presumably the imminent Samsung Appstore might be useful. Has great specs, and the current Sammys are very stable.

• 1 month later...
Guest rooney101

i too am having the same issues with banging/popping noises during calls.

i have had four replacements from orange.

they do not seem to think it is a problem as it is likely to be down to poor network coverage, and they have identified me to be in a bad area.

does anyone think these noises could be attributed to coverage?

i dont think this has been like this from new i.e out of the box? and i think is graduallyy getting worse. could it be a software compatibilty issue?

Guest rooney101

hi chris have you tried hard reset to restore to factory settings, then use the phone before you install any software?

i think spb mobile shell may be the problem,

Guest rooney101

by the way has anyone actually got wm6.5 in their tg01 yet?

'free upgrade' was promised from oct 6th..

i cannot find any download link on toshiba or orange websites?

if any one has any ideas

thanks in advance

Guest Chris_R
by the way has anyone actually got wm6.5 in their tg01 yet?

'free upgrade' was promised from oct 6th..

i cannot find any download link on toshiba or orange websites?

if any one has any ideas

thanks in advance

I'm now on phone number 4 - Still have problems with pops and bangs but only ever at home it seems, where the signal is usually 4 bars and GPRS, or occasionally EDGE. Seems OK away from home (usually 3G or H connections) suggesting the local signal may be a factor. However, I have used my SIM in an old Sony Ericsson Z600 and made calls without any problems from home. Orange have never suggested to me that it is the signal quality to blame.

Rooney - does your phone just have problems in one area or is it wherever you are? What 'connection' is on (i.e. G/E/3G/H) when you make calls with noises?

All my TG01's have done this 'out of the box' and regardless of whether it has just been hard-reset or whether SPB MS/PointUI etc have been installed. I feel like Orange don't want to know now they have my money - hence the 'punishment' phone if I want to change the TG01 (see earlier in thread).

I'm waiting for the ROM update in hope that they will have fixed this but don't expect they will have done... Toshiba customer services were no help at all either.

Chris

Guest rooney101

i think the problems generally occur when im at home - and orange have confirmed i am in a bad area.

however sometimes there are no noises when using the phone at home,

they suggested using 2g only -

they also dont have any idea when the 6.5 update will be made available

Guest Neil5459

I also get some pops when in poor 2G area, so it may be signal related. In general the TG01 has the best signal of any of my previous WM devices but it does seem to try aan hang onto poor signal for too long.

There is no official confirmaton of the WM6.5 release date. October 6th was always only going to be the official announcement of the OS itself plus some new device releases. HTC and Toshiba are both saying updates for current devices will be available 'in the coming weeks' but there are rumours that Orange will release on 12th October. The fact that the Orange Shops are being sent the updates now ought to be a good sign!

Guest rooney101

using 2g is even worse - now people think i sound like i am under water!

changed back to 3g/hsdpa - banging sounds have resurfaced - even though i still cannot hear them my end.

we all need to keep complaining to both orange and toshiba.

who both make out like i am the only one experiencing all these problems -

get this - they are selling the tg01 now (since oct 6th) as a 'new' relaunched version - what about all us who have the 'old' corrupted model?

if you are past your 28 days with orange you are stuck with it - or they will send you a reconditioned one if you want another replacement- which might have wm6.5 on it - they do not know!

typical

Guest rooney101

IF YOU TRY TO BLOW REALLY HARD WITH YOUR MOUTH INTO THE MICROPHONE OF THE TG01 - JUST UNDER THE HOME BUTTON AT THE BOTTOM WHERE THERE IS A LITTLE RECTANGULAR HOLE.

THIS SOLVE ALL THE PROBLEMS LISTED

BLOW CONSISTENTLY AND REPEATEDLY BETWEEN 5-10 TIMES TO CLEAN IT OUT PROPERLY.

NO MORE ISSUES

Guest Neil5459
IF YOU TRY TO BLOW REALLY HARD WITH YOUR MOUTH INTO THE MICROPHONE OF THE TG01 - JUST UNDER THE HOME BUTTON AT THE BOTTOM WHERE THERE IS A LITTLE RECTANGULAR HOLE.

NO MORE ISSUES

HeHe- so are you saying that the problem is caused by accumulated dust in the microphone hole?

Good work :)

Guest Chris_R
HeHe- so are you saying that the problem is caused by accumulated dust in the microphone hole?

Good work :(

I don't really buy this as I've had 4 TG01s that have all done this "out of the box" (so the Toshiba factory must be filthy...). Anyway, I'm a sucker for a wind-up so I gave it a go and wasn't especially surprised when it had no effect at all on the problem :)

What's worse is that I've updated to WM 6.5 now as well ;)

What a lump of tat...

Guest xdalover

NO MORE ISSUES

You must be joking....... :)

Guest rooney101

Apologies to all if they tried my suggestion.

This does in fact create the problem if it didnt exist, or enhance/worsen the noises if experienced already.

Now you can all complain to orange and toshiba like i have been.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Medved77
Has anyone found a reason or fix for the odd noises during calls. I have the same problem with my phone and it is running windows mobile 6.5.

Thanks

Just thinking.... Loads of people have this problem, I've also been monitoring the German and French TG01 user forums so it rules out the possibility of the problem lying with the carrier.

Instead of everyone contacting Toshiba by email to complain I could set up a quick petition and submit the results.

Is it worth a try, would it make any difference?

After contacting toshiba regarding the microphone noises, toshiba acknowledged that there was a fault in my device.

I informed toshiba that updating to wm 6.5 and using a wired/wireless headset did not solve the problem.

I guess I need to send it in for repairs now which is a hassle considering I live outside the UK.

Anyone else having a similar experience or can confirm that toshiba is able to fix to the microphone noises?

I really want to use this phone but it seems like it does not want to cooperate.

Unfortunately, I will consider selling it (through ebay) to someone who has time to deal with toshiba to get the phone fixed.

Suggestions are welcome.