FPU Enabler

Guys haven't tested it yet (on my HD2), but thank you nevertheless.

I will wait for the "driver" (or service) version probably (any time estimate?)... but I have one question for anybody with healthy imagination (because I doubt anybody knows the real reason):

Why isn't this already enabled in our devices?

Guest Chainfire

Driver ETA, I don't know - I do have some of NuShrike's test builds of it...

Why it isn't in there by default is likely because at the time of WM6 R&D there were no devices that had it. I can almost guarantee you WM7 will have support for it and likely even NEON and such.

• 2 weeks later...

how can i let this program autostart??...

my sktools benchmarks:

Before :

INT 512.0613

Float 10.667 mwips

Ram 785

After :

INT 505.2777

Float 57.996 mwips!!!!!!!

Ram 1986 !!!!!!

OMG!!

I love IT!! (testing IGO8 now)

Edited by spanx

Guest touchflo

the benchmark numbers are impressive, but i fail to see any performance increases in any programs. everything seems to run the same speed. ive tested browsing, emulation,gaming,video playback and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Guest tsamolotoff

It works on Acer neoTouch (19 points vs 54 mwips), but it seems to make Core Player hanging with 100% probability on one certain h264 clip... If you're intrested, I could upload it... And it seems to make 3d benchmark (GLbenchmark, to be more specific) really unstable.

Anyways, cheers to chainfire and nushrike, the demigods of ARM :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest getready2005

Is there any way to remove this patch?

I installed it on my Omnia Pro B7610 and sktools still says

Float: 10,997

//edit:

Klusek had a float of over 50....I can't imagine why this patch doesn't work on my phone....

Edited by getready2005

Instructions:

Run it, press patch, press ok to close.

Run it again, press patch, leave it open. To do so either hold middle button to go to task switcher or hold the ok/close button. You cannot press the ok in the upper right or it will close. To reiterate, the FPUEnabler window must stay open. Also must be in your device directory I believe.

Edited by Snow02

Guest getready2005
Instructions:

Run it, press patch, press ok to close.

Run it again, press patch, leave it open. To do so either hold middle button to go to task switcher or hold the ok/close button. You cannot press the ok in the upper right or it will close. To reiterate, the FPUEnabler window must stay open. Also must be in your device directory I believe.

OH MY!!! Sorry

Although I read the instructions I didn't understand the whole concept...

Thank you very much:) !!!

Edited by getready2005

OH MY!!! Sorry

Also I read the instructions I didn't understand the whole concept...

Thank you very much:) !!!

Lions, Tigers, FPUEnabler....

@Touchflo

FPUEnabler drastically increases Crayon Physics performance. To the point where it's not really playable without it, and extremely smooth in most scenes with it. Drastic is the word I would use. But you're right that a performance increase isn't noticeable in most all programs. I run S3Clock at 900 mhz and FPUEnabler at all times. Overall the phone is much snappier. Battery life took a little hit, as expected, but it's not bad.

Edited by Snow02

Guest NuShrike
Tbh I haven't spoken to him in a while.
I'm still out.

Waiting for a 2nd pass through Acer to get my M900 fixed. First was the mini-usb that stopped working -- now the touch-screen has stopped responding after Acer "fixed" the mini-usb (took them almost a month already).

Since the only backup stuff I got is HTC/Qualcomm MSM7200 crap, I can't work on this any further until Acer fixes my phone. I would jump to something Snapdragon, but there isn't any released that covers USA 3G + 2100.

Next planned phase is still Marketplace so this app can help pay for the phone, issues and repairs.

Edited by NuShrike

Here are the results with HTC HD2:

4e62i.png

hope this helps.. thx again, bye!

Yes I have a Leo/HD2 to. But it only patches the once above 100% for me, is that right? So of al the 30, it did patch 5 for me, the others where unpached, also if it has 99% improvement:

divs 138%, addd 153%, subd 170%, muld 156%, divd 416%

Guest dagrim1
Yes I have a Leo/HD2 to. But it only patches the once above 100% for me, is that right? So of al the 30, it did patch 5 for me, the others where unpached, also if it has 99% improvement:

divs 138%, addd 153%, subd 170%, muld 156%, divd 416%

The percentages are relative. As in, default is 100% so 99% would be a 1% decrease in performance... 170% is a 70% increase. Etc.

At least, that's what I understand. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Guest Chainfire
I'm still out.

Waiting for a 2nd pass through Acer to get my M900 fixed. First was the mini-usb that stopped working -- now the touch-screen has stopped responding after Acer "fixed" the mini-usb (took them almost a month already).

Since the only backup stuff I got is HTC/Qualcomm MSM7200 crap, I can't work on this any further until Acer fixes my phone. I would jump to something Snapdragon, but there isn't any released that covers USA 3G + 2100.

Next planned phase is still Marketplace so this app can help pay for the phone, issues and repairs.

Ah man that sucks. LG Expo does not do 2100 then I assume?

The percentages are relative. As in, default is 100% so 99% would be a 1% decrease in performance... 170% is a 70% increase. Etc.

At least, that's what I understand. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct, the benchmark results are relative to the original function. And yes, it only patches functions >> 100%.

Guest Chainfire
It works on Acer neoTouch (19 points vs 54 mwips), but it seems to make Core Player hanging with 100% probability on one certain h264 clip... If you're intrested, I could upload it... And it seems to make 3d benchmark (GLbenchmark, to be more specific) really unstable.

Anyways, cheers to chainfire and nushrike, the demigods of ARM :)

I have not noticed any issue with glBenchmark with FPU Enabler, but uploading that video may help - or not - at least we can see if it is reproducable. Fixable, it most likely is not.

Guest highlorddave

Its a great shame that hardware FPU has been unimplemented for so long, now a great may programs have been working around the problem using software instead of pushing hardware makers to implement change.

now we do have hardware FPU most software will not be making use of it due to past restrictions.

At least we may hope this will give a performace boost to future developments

Guest jacobgong

thanks to the OP

I used to be a benchmark guy but not anymore, I just installed this stuff on my i8000, and I do see significant improvement in the stock Photo software, much smoother in zooming, as I have expected. Also faster in rotation and the rendering for large images. but the tumbnail view still lags the same.

I know it's not a scientific comparison, but I trust my self in this, it is a big difference in zooming.

also, improvements in TaskSwitcher.

but I feel no difference in TouchPlayer, I mean the UIs, like the horizontal sliding UIs.

oh I also tried the camera, there may be some improvement, but if there is it's too small for naked eye to judge.

and the i-nigma real-time barcode reader is not improved

definetly some improvement in Opera Mobile, and good improvements in the samsung Scedule application.

very unsure, but I think there is improvement in Windows defult Home screen and Start menu, as well as genural text rendering.

Edited by jacobgong

Guest haveitnow
thanks to the OP

I used to be a benchmark guy but not anymore, I just installed this stuff on my i8000, and I do see significant improvement in the stock Photo software, much smoother in zooming, as I have expected. Also faster in rotation and the rendering for large images. but the tumbnail view still lags the same.

I know it's not a scientific comparison, but I trust my self in this, it is a big difference in zooming.

also, improvements in TaskSwitcher.

but I feel no difference in TouchPlayer, I mean the UIs, like the horizontal sliding UIs.

oh I also tried the camera, there may be some improvement, but if there is it's too small for naked eye to judge.

and the i-nigma real-time barcode reader is not improved

definetly some improvement in Opera Mobile, and good improvements in the samsung Scedule application.

very unsure, but I think there is improvement in Windows defult Home screen and Start menu, as well as genural text rendering.

Just found this thread, very interesting. I will have to run some code tests using FP code.

As to those looking for any improvement in music or video performance, I wouldn't expect anything having worked with mobile audio video for years it's almost all converted to fixed point(integer) math algorythms.

would be interesting to see what kind of performance you could get out of a floating point port of LAME or other codecs and compare the the fixed point versions.

Guest chaoscreater

hi guys, this program seems very promising. Has anyone tested this on a HTC Touch Pro??

And will this program by any chance brick your phone??

So basically, we must leave it running all the time right?? And if we close it, everything is restored back to default?? If that's the case, that shouldn't cause any problems then right??

And lastly, has anyone tested performance gains on Morphgear or PocketGBA?? Emulators are the best thing to test on.

Guest chaoscreater
Tried it with Acer M900

And it really pushes floating point to the roof, leaving others behind :D ...

fpu.jpg

Great work guys. Great to see great developments B)

(hope the crashing issue in m900 can be easily fixed :) )

where did u get that option in SKTools??

EDIT: Nvm you choose the option "Benchmark". I had to view all categories to find it.

BTW this isn't working for me, i ran FPU Enabler once, it tells me to restart so i click ok on the top right, i start it again and press patch and it starts to patch and at the end it says:

Dirty Benching, and then it quickly shows a message which i think is "system calls....." and then it quits.

I tried holding down the middle button after i press patch, it still quits. I'm using HTC Touch Pro running Windows Mobile 6.5, EnergyROM Phoenix 2 build 21889.

Edited by chaoscreater

Guest haveitnow

Finally got around to trying this, can say it does provide some marginal improvements with pockxpdf on my O2. This app still uses a fair amount of FP math so I would expect it to show here. it's not earth shattering, but it's maybe 10% improvement parsing file and maybe 20% rendering a page.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to confirm that this does, indeed, work on the Toshiba TG01. My benchmark from SKTools was almost 3x better with this running and my FP-intensive application (custom application) I have is at least 2x faster with this.

Checking to see what the status is of a driver install or even modifying the current program so that it automatically runs without having to press "Patch." In the later case, it could be automatically run in a script (or from another program) to give the benefits without having to run it and click, twice.

Great work, folks!