PDAclan has cooking information!!

Guest powser

The latest news from Kingmobile, somebody had flashed the phone with "modified" ROM sucessfully after the correction of "checksum" error. And the phone can boot-up without any problem.

BTW, regarding the ROM cooking, I partially agree with Sorg's opinion. No matter how Samsung did, their intension is understandable. As a phone, the interface perfection must based on one basic point, i.e. it's stable, convenient to operate and responsive enough. I believe Samsung put more priority on the convenience improvement instead of responsive. So sometime, we encountered some issues. I think we have to admit that either Main Menu, or Widgetplus, it's much easier for single hand/finger operation compared with WM standard UI's performance. But how to balance the convenience and the responsive, it's up to everybody's choice. So I still expect a really simple cooking tool comes out.

PS: I think there two major concerns should be improved for the cooked rom, one is how to guarranty the responsive with enabling the Samsung beautiful interface. Another is how to improve the memory leakage, especially once the GWES.exe thread reaching 20MB, the whole system became very unstable even some application will have the rendering issue.

Agreed...best if the two major concerns be fixed and cookers used the already "cooked" rom that fixed these two problems...that would be perfect.

I prefer Khuanchai's approach.

I rather have a clean rom and choose what I want to install, than to be chuck faceful with 10000 things that slow me down.

Definitely some of the samsung things are nice, but honestly I don't think many ppl here like the widgets at all. Titanium/SPB is more well liked. I simple don't care for samsung SMS and their phone skin takes up 10 MB RAM but I have no choice but to use it since i need video call support.

Of course I like some of the samsung things like the.. uhhh.. Media Player i guess.

Guest Wilson@China

The further update by WeiSun from PDAClan:

How to change the nb0 file size.

Somebody may not know how to modify the MBR, and osnbtool will not support the ROM file size not in line with MBR, so it a must to fill the original pda.nb0.os.nb by 010edit (maybe any Hex editor? added by Wilson) to the size that osnbtool consider it's "leagle. The method is:

1、Open the original pda.nb0.os.nb,scroll down to the end of the file, remember the file size. Here is 0x13576800,as in below figure:

attachimg.gifattachment.php?aid=45610&k=54a124ec109fa0706ba4ff4b3374a436&t=1257607215&noupdate=yesimage.gifOldSizeOSNB.jpg (13.7 KB)

2009-11-7 22:34

2、Use 010edit, choose Edit-->Set file size,fill-in contents 1B200000(This is the calculated correct value according to the MBR, it's OK to set even bigger value),other portion can fill as the below figure shows. Then save it.(Remark: If don't know the exact file size/length, can set as big as possible but must bigger than the actual value) The example shows the Chinese II1 version. The other version maybe similar but can be set bigger)

attachimg.gifattachment.php?aid=45611&k=c6b7316f5cc99b3f0e63b061c2d05ac0&t=1257607215&noupdate=yesimage.giffillFF.jpg (32.39 KB)

2009-11-7 22:34

3、Excute osnbtool -c pda.nb0.os.nb 2 imgfe.new (suppose file imgfe.new is the new file name after changing size), once finished, the new generated file pda.nb0.os.nb.new is there,since this pda.nb0.os.nb.new is generated by osnbtool,so the MBR should be the correct one.

4、Restore the file pda.nb0.os.nb.new back to "non-standard" size,re-open it by 010edit,re-set file size,can try the original file size,here is 0x13576800(don't fill "0x" in the input window),also can delete more "FF" in the file end to minimize the file size, but the final value must be devided by 0x1F800.

Then save it,modify .PRE,use copy/b + command to complie the file then can try to flash the phone.

PS: I just translate it, but I don't understand what's really behind. So there maybe some mistakes due to misunderstanding.

Edited by Wilson@China

Hope the new infos will be useful to some!

And on Kingmobile they are writing any "guide" on their succesful attempt? or it's the same as PDAClan?

There's no new guide. The test was started mainly to check whether WeiSun from PDAClan's instructions were working since no one has attempted it yet. Anyway the results are out, the flash was successful, but the jpg that was inserted into the imgfs.bin during the test cannot be opened nor copied, even though the file exists in the file system.

That doesn't sound good :)

Guest tacchan23
There's no new guide. The test was started mainly to check whether WeiSun from PDAClan's instructions were working since no one has attempted it yet. Anyway the results are out, the flash was successful, but the jpg that was inserted into the imgfs.bin during the test cannot be opened nor copied, even though the file exists in the file system.

That doesn't sound good :D

At least they are trying! :D

And thanks for keeping us updated! :)

Hi guys,

1 more good new, Weisun and acwan from www.pdaclan.com has recompiled imgfsfromdump (think can support up to 1024MB based on the filename) due to existing imgfsfromdump canonly support up to 256MB.

ImgfsFromDump_BigRom_1024.rar

Thanks for the file.

After create from dump folder, bin file have only 284 MB (dump folder size = 476 MB).

too much reduce size from dump folder. maybe this file not supported...??

Guest Khuanchai
PS: I think there two major concerns should be improved for the cooked rom, one is how to guarranty the responsive with enabling the Samsung beautiful interface. Another is how to improve the memory leakage, especially once the GWES.exe thread reaching 20MB, the whole system became very unstable even some application will have the rendering issue.

I don't think these can be done by a cooked ROM. It needs significant kernel changes by M$ or Samsung. What we can get from cooking ROM are to make it as lean as possible (by removing unnecessary files), to add in some useful utilities not included in the original ROM, and to modify some registries.

Hi does anyone know how to get .nb0 out of .mst ? Thanks. And also how to get .nb0 out of cubic37.mli. Thanks

use pako777's i900_executor v2.4 for the cubic37.mli. u will get both eboot and .nb0.

Okay I'm officially lost in the world of hex editing.

Used winhex open up pda.nb0.PRE then lost. What's the meaning of divide by 0x04 dword ? Anyone can teach a newcomer here ?

Guest nikosxri
i only got 1 sentence for Sorg and i am pretty sure he can understand what the sentence means.

独乐乐不如众乐乐

Though I dont understand chinese, I completely agree with you!

Ha, Ha, Ha

So, has anyone made a custom ROM yet?

yeah i am waiting for that too. Too many official and unofficial ROMs but none with customization.

I hope Khuanchai actively cooking again and brings great custom ROM like the olden i900 days.

Guest Khuanchai
yeah i am waiting for that too. Too many official and unofficial ROMs but none with customization.

I hope Khuanchai actively cooking again and brings great custom ROM like the olden i900 days.

I'm thinking about giving up my intention to make customized ROM for i8000. I can't make any progress so far and may seek another device to play instead. Maybe this community is too small to get help.

Guest MaliciousKen
I'm thinking about giving up my intention to make customized ROM for i8000. I can't make any progress so far and may seek another device to play instead. Maybe this community is too small to get help.

OMG... this is saddening ....

Guest tacchan23

Bad news here :)

Guess I'll wait another couple of months but if there still is no positive development I guess I'll need to start thinking about changing device too :D

Guest MaliciousKen
Bad news here :)

Guess I'll wait another couple of months but if there still is no positive development I guess I'll need to start thinking about changing device too :D

Agrees..... thinking of moving on to hd2 .... at least htc always have a vast variety of custom roms to flash.

Guest forelli
Bad news here :D

Think twice if you move to HTC: the HD2 has a capacitive screen! You can't use it with you gloves :D . The best would be a HTC Touch HD with a 1 ghz Snapdragon processor AND the new accelerometer and graphic chip!

Thinking of changing my I8000 to my wife and taking back my Touch HD. :)

@ khuanchai: don't give up bro, you are a great rom cooker, I used to worship your Ultralite roms! Life is funny only when you have new challenges to take otherwise it would be boring! I consider cooking myself, but I need to wait a few months, we're expecting a baby these days, so no time unfortunately, but in a few months, I will have some more so I will try to cook. Please khuanchai, don't give it up now, we're close, very close to the goal!

Edited by forelli

Guest tacchan23
Think twice if you move to HTC: the HD2 has a capacitive screen! You can't use it with you gloves :D . The best would be a HTC Touch HD with a 1 ghz Snapdragon processor AND the new accelerometer and graphic chip!

My problem with HD2 is not gloves^^ (here in Bangkok is so hot and while I am in italy is not as cold as Austria:P)

My problem with capacitative screen is the stylus... while the screen is bigger, the resolution is still the same. While I am outside of course it will be nice to have big screen to use with fingers, but when I'm home sitting at my desktop I hardly imagine myself browsing trough registry using SKtools with a finger couse I can't use a much more pratical stylus on PHMregistry where a lot more of lines are displayed at the same time. The same goes for any application/files which has a lot of information/lines to browse.

Also these push me off, in order:

1)TOO BIG (I read the Paul's walktrough he had some pain in his hand and was not so easy to get used to it, also maybe too big for my pocket)

2)NO AMOLED

3)TOO small of a battery for such large screen

4)NO internal storage

5)NO TV-out

So in the end I guess I'll not have much choice even if I decide to change phone, at least at the moment^^

Sorry for the off topic.

Guest Khuanchai

@ khuanchai: don't give up bro, you are a great rom cooker, I used to worship your Ultralite roms! Life is funny only when you have new challenges to take otherwise it would be boring! I consider cooking myself, but I need to wait a few months, we're expecting a baby these days, so no time unfortunately, but in a few months, I will have some more so I will try to cook. Please khuanchai, don't give it up now, we're close, very close to the goal!

Thanks. I think cooking is not really the problem. There are plenty of kitchen tools around. The only hurdle for me is how to pack everything to the flashable file. Pako is trying to help even he has no device to test. If we can pass this, I believe many chefs are ready to make great ROMs for everyone. I know it's just a matter of time but can't wait too long.

Guest Wilson@China
Thanks. I think cooking is not really the problem. There are plenty of kitchen tools around. The only hurdle for me is how to pack everything to the flashable file. Pako is trying to help even he has no device to test. If we can pass this, I believe many chefs are ready to make great ROMs for everyone. I know it's just a matter of time but can't wait too long.

Fully agree with your statements. Repacking is the key issue right now. Weisun@PDAClan had released some hints regarding changing the nb0 file size to pass the MBR test. If you need any further information, I can help to translate between you and him. He is also very warm hearted but I am not sure he can speak English or not.

Guest tacchan23
Fully agree with your statements. Repacking is the key issue right now. Weisun@PDAClan had released some hints regarding changing the nb0 file size to pass the MBR test. If you need any further information, I can help to translate between you and him. He is also very warm hearted but I am not sure he can speak English or not.

I think that would be good! Maybe we can still have an happy ending :)