[REF] Cooking info, kitchen, tools, etc ....

Guest rodrigofd

After playing with CSC to get files for Samsung Today, I thought maybe it will be useful to have something to dump or just check what files are in the CSC. So I just wrote this little application (nothing fancy) and hopefully it works.

It lists the files for selected CSC and can dump all the files in selected CSC or selected CSC itself. There are still some values in the CSC that I don't know what they are but I think the dumped files are OK. Maybe I should put the header for the dumped CSC file but for now I don't need it - it is recognized by Octans when you loaded so maybe it will flash OK as well. The files are dumped in the same folder where the main CSC is.

If you try it and something doesn't work, let me know. Maybe I will have some time to fix it.

Edit:

Made a little change, thought it might be better to save files in different directories. Dumped files from CSC are saved in the directory with the name of the CSC and dumped CSC file is in the same directory as main CSC.

Thanks wes58 for your graphical tool. is it possible we can make changes to the csc file, and repacking it back. so we can flash with .mst files?

NOTE: if any file referenced in a PROVXML DOES NOT EXIST in the dump, then THE WHOLE PROVXML file IS IGNORED.

This is a common mistake: you remove some files from dump, like shortcuts, that are referenced in a PROVXML, then the whole PROVXML isn't processed. Keep in mind that.

Thanks for pointed out... appreciated that...

Guest rodrigofd
Wow, thanks for the information ~ right when i needed it :-)

Is this a general windows think or only on notepad/editor?

edit: So, i changed some values, for testing. Then i used pako executor to assemble (i closed the relocator windows, that was ok?)... Now i have "PDA_091230_165150.nb0" but i don't now what to do... just flash? need to select a csc-File?

Yes, just flash. You can flash just your PDA ROM in NB0 format, no need to do it at the same time with CSC, EBOOT or PHONE. All four flashable files can be done independently.

Guest rodrigofd
@rodrigofd: man, you're the best :-)

So, how are u working? U write down which files you deleted, so you know how to do again with a new ROM?

Hehe..

No, i don't delete ANY file.. i just move them to accesory folders, building something like a 'repository'... same for removed settings, shortcuts etc... i try not to loose anything...

Guest MrChiliCheese

Ok, i hope i understood it right... But what u do is removing this files from the cooked rom?

I think it just clicked in main brain :)

Anyfile in the rom is stored by default in the Windows dir... the thing that make my storage smaller is the copy of that file?

edit: is it safe to remove the other imei******.pfg files?

edit²: what do you prefer when disambling the rom-dump? Option "dump" or "packet"... does it make a difference, or is it just an other cooking experience? ;)

Edited by MrChiliCheese

Hehe..

No, i don't delete ANY file.. i just move them to accesory folders, building something like a 'repository'... same for removed settings, shortcuts etc... i try not to loose anything...

What I found to be useful, is an application "FolderMatch". With this you can compare the contents of two folders (for example your original rom dump and custimized one) and see the differences. You can also export it to the text file so you know which files/folders you deleted.

Guest rodrigofd
Ok, i hope i understood it right... But what u do is removing this files from the cooked rom?

I think it just clicked in main brain :)

Anyfile in the rom is stored by default in the Windows dir... the thing that make my storage smaller is the copy of that file?

edit: is it safe to remove the other imei******.pfg files?

edit²: what do you prefer when disambling the rom-dump? Option "dump" or "packet"... does it make a difference, or is it just an other cooking experience? ;)

imei*.pfg files are used in the rom to 'preconfigure' the network operator settings.. Since in my roms i use HTC connection setup wizard, i remove them, if your rom is for personal use, yes, just leave the ones for your carrier.

of course is preferably to use packet option, it is easier to locate a particular thing...

Thanks wes58 for your graphical tool. is it possible we can make changes to the csc file, and repacking it back. so we can flash with .mst files?

It is possible. I did it. I was thinking about writing something to do it, but wasn't sure if it is worth the effort. How often are you going to change it? Have a look at the picture about some info. If you are not making a lot of changes you can do it manually. This can be flashed with Octans. This information if for the structure of the CSC file extracted from the main (multi-csc) file. 

Edit:

Just one clarification about the languages that are listed starting from offset 0x40. It's not as simple as I originally thought. But it is like this - there is a list of languages in Octans: 0804,0404,0405,0406,0413,0409,040B,040C,0407,0408,0410,0411,0412,0414,0415,0416,

816,0419,0C0A,041D,040E,041A,0424.

The number at offset 0x40 is for the main language. The rest are additional languges. Each value (0804, 0404,... ) is a 4-character string plus terminating 0. So for number 7 the program looks at offset for the first string (0804) + 5*7+5. Which will give language 040C. Easier way is to do like this - offset to language = number + 1, so for number 7, the language is string number 7+1 -> 040C.

Thought I should correct it just in case that someone is interested.

post-420700-1262204487_thumb.png

Edited by wes58

Guest MrChiliCheese
of course is preferably to use packet option, it is easier to locate a particular thing...

yeah, i figured it out, after working with the dump option :)

what i with the dsm files? do i need to edit them too, or will the automatically rebuild during aseble procedure?

i hope u don't mind but i disambled your lite rom (learning from the chief ;-)) is it ok, when i cook your oem_**** packages in?

Edited by MrChiliCheese

yeah, i figured it out, after working with the dump option :)

what i with the dsm files? do i need to edit them too, or will the automatically rebuild during aseble procedure?

i hope u don't mind but i disambled your lite rom (learning from the chief ;-)) is it ok, when i cook your oem_**** packages in?

I always try to rebuild the dsm files using DSMBuilder as attached.

DSMBuilder.zip

Guest MrChiliCheese

So, i just run this tool and select every dsm-file once?

i'm just working on removing opera, but it is really pain in the ass :-(

edit: @rodrigofd: opera is really hard to do... do you have any hints for me? seems that u managed to remove it :-)

Edited by MrChiliCheese

It is possible. I did it. I was thinking about writing something to do it, but wasn't sure if it is worth the effort. How often are you going to change it? Have a look at the picture about some info. If you are not making a lot of changes you can do it manually. This can be flashed with Octans. This information if for the structure of the CSC file extracted from the main (multi-csc) file.

Thanks wes58 for the info. appreciated that. the purpose im into modifying csc just for experimental test only. hope i will learnt more from this community.

Guest MrChiliCheese
edit: @rodrigofd: opera is really hard to do... do you have any hints for me? seems that u managed to remove it :-)

another thing... i'm working with packet-dump and whenn i assemble everything i get an error "all_packages_to_one.exe" doesn't work properply... is this important for the buildung?

Edited by MrChiliCheese

another thing... i'm working with packet-dump and whenn i assemble everything i get an error "all_packages_to_one.exe" doesn't work properply... is this important for the buildung?

uncheck "all_packages_to_one.exe" in the options before assemble.

Guest MrChiliCheese
You know that when you run BuildOS it re-builds all .dsm files.

Really? I thougt something like this, but when KSTAN posted this tool i got unsure... thanks for the info. I hope i manage to fix my problem here... i started over, but everytime bluetooth isn't working... even with a few changes and im sure that i removed all references to that files...

Guest DocSnyder

BTW: My registry changes are always away, when i flash my rom. I can't find any reason. :) I edit the *.rgu files, but its all away?! In the *.provxml files are not any valuse, to overwrite the registry.

Edited by DocSnyder

Guest mirek190

Hi

I'm cooking Polish rom from wm 6.1 and

I have small problem with button start, when I push it I have Samsung main menu, so I want to change it for standard windows menu.

Where I have to change it in register ?

Please help me :)

btw: now I have almost 300 MB of main memory.

Guest domineus

this is a strange question so bear with me

I don't have a samsung i8000 but I am intrigued with the black overlay to the initial windows moble system (eg in texting you see black on white text)

I was wondering would anyone know which files control the gui of the wm shell so I can replicate it and cook? Just a quick question - its racking my brain =./

Edited by domineus

Guest rodrigofd
BTW: My registry changes are always away, when i flash my rom. I can't find any reason. :) I edit the *.rgu files, but its all away?! In the *.provxml files are not any valuse, to overwrite the registry.

There can be two reasons: either any provxml file is overriding your RGU settings, or, more likely, you have a CSC image in your phone, which has registry settings. CSC files get re-applied each time you flash a new PDA rom, and almost all CSC files have registry settings, override the default wallpaper 'stwater.jpg', etc. That's why i recommended to 'ERASE CSC DATA' when flashing custom roms, so you are sure you have full control over your phone, but you loose the pretty charging animations.

Guest DocSnyder
There can be two reasons: either any provxml file is overriding your RGU settings, or, more likely, you have a CSC image in your phone, which has registry settings. CSC files get re-applied each time you flash a new PDA rom, and almost all CSC files have registry settings, override the default wallpaper 'stwater.jpg', etc. That's why i recommended to 'ERASE CSC DATA' when flashing custom roms, so you are sure you have full control over your phone, but you loose the pretty charging animations.

Hi,

and thats the only harm? The language setting and the UMTS setup don't lose?

Guest rodrigofd
Hi,

and thats the only harm? The language setting and the UMTS setup don't lose?

Language setting won't be affected. There is 'some' possibility that it interferes with network operator settings, though, but i never care much of that, since 1) i know my carrier settings and 2) i use HTC connection setup wizard, that does it automatically.

in any case, you can try doing it, and in the worst case you REFLASH a CSC file and no harm done:)