09/Feb 1.7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM - U8230 Vanilla Style (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest meinnit
Many thanks for all your input, it has worked. Its a shame that the app2sd issue still seems to be there. Are there any schools of thought for the cause of it? Its a significant annoyance but the speed of the new rom is something i don't think i could lose (and the fact that my internal memory free space is now 85mb rather than a continually dwindling 14mb). Heres hoping that 1.8 will have it fixed! Great work Paul et al.

What is this issue?

What is this issue?

apps2sd breaks ability to install applications when rebooting and sometimes when mounting the sd card through usb...

I don't know if my particular sd card is complete rubbish (8gb "class6 nokia" for ~11eur) but after countless force closes and freezing boots on 1.7 I gave up on apps2sd and now its running smoothly...interestingly I wasn't having problems with the 1.0 rom (except having to repair ext after reboot).

apps2sd breaks ability to install applications when rebooting and sometimes when mounting the sd card through usb...

I don't know if my particular sd card is complete rubbish (8gb "class6 nokia" for ~11eur) but after countless force closes and freezing boots on 1.7 I gave up on apps2sd and now its running smoothly...interestingly I wasn't having problems with the 1.0 rom (except having to repair ext after reboot).

Ohh, that's odd, yes, the issue where you have to repair ext is well known, and causes apps2SD to stop working, but I've not heard it happen when you're mounting/unmounting the SD card.

Maybe there's something dodgy with the way the phone mounts it, I wouldn't see why else mounting and unmounting the FAT32 partition would make the ext one corrupt.

When its cold your skin resistance goes up, probably either because less blood flows to the extremities or you produce less sweat. I don't think a firmware update will fix that.

Does anyone havee this problem?

I don't think this is to be like this :S

However, today the screen was not unresponsive, but it did weird things. Eg. when I want to pull down the notifications bar, it slides up the menu...

Guest jonathonf
<br />Ohh, that's odd, yes, the issue where you have to repair ext is well known, and causes apps2SD to stop working, but I've not heard it happen when you're mounting/unmounting the SD card.<br />Maybe there's something dodgy with the way the phone mounts it, I wouldn't see why else mounting and unmounting the FAT32 partition would make the ext one corrupt.<br />
I imagine it will be down to how the phone powers down. If apps2sd isn't terminated correctly it will not unmount the ext partition, If an ext partition is not unmounted correctly all sort of errors can occur (compared to a FAT drive where error correction is minimal, i.e. a file will be inaccessible but not much else). The phone will also unmount the FAT drive as it's expecting that one to be there; the ext drive not so much.

When you mount via USB the phone transforms into a card reader - if you're in Linux the ext drive will show up. Again, if you don't unmount the drive from Linux before unplugging or dismounting from the phone errors will happen.

All of these errors will be greater when using ext4 as earlier kernels with ext4 support (i.e. 2.6.27) have a notorious zero-file bug. Essentially if on mount during normal checks (or journal replays) a corrupt file is found the filesystem zeros the file. The file is still there but has a file size of 0. This is obviously not a good thing and a few months ago resulted in non-booting Linux systems, for example (mine included).

I imagine it will be down to how the phone powers down. If apps2sd isn't terminated correctly it will not unmount the ext partition, If an ext partition is not unmounted correctly all sort of errors can occur (compared to a FAT drive where error correction is minimal, i.e. a file will be inaccessible but not much else). The phone will also unmount the FAT drive as it's expecting that one to be there; the ext drive not so much.

When you mount via USB the phone transforms into a card reader - if you're in Linux the ext drive will show up. Again, if you don't unmount the drive from Linux before unplugging or dismounting from the phone errors will happen.

All of these errors will be greater when using ext4 as earlier kernels with ext4 support (i.e. 2.6.27) have a notorious zero-file bug. Essentially if on mount during normal checks (or journal replays) a corrupt file is found the filesystem zeros the file. The file is still there but has a file size of 0. This is obviously not a good thing and a few months ago resulted in non-booting Linux systems, for example (mine included).

Oh, yeah that would certainly do it :)

I thought it just mounted the FAT partition for the PC :)

I just installed this rom and done a factory reset through Settings, however i cannot see the Titanium Backup app on my phone at all. I had it before when i installed 1.7 but i had never done a factory reset then. Any reason why its gone?

I just installed this rom and done a factory reset through Settings, however i cannot see the Titanium Backup app on my phone at all. I had it before when i installed 1.7 but i had never done a factory reset then. Any reason why its gone?

It's because you did the factory reset after you installed the ROM.

Because various apps, e.g. Titanium & Google Maps, are installed to the /data partition when you install the ROM.

And /data is wiped by by the factory reset.

It's because you did the factory reset after you installed the ROM.

Because various apps, e.g. Titanium & Google Maps, are installed to the /data partition when you install the ROM.

And /data is wiped by by the factory reset.

Ah ok thx for the info. So how would i be able to get it back? By installing the 1.7 rom over again?

Guest robot1000
Ah ok thx for the info. So how would i be able to get it back? By installing the 1.7 rom over again?

Google Maps can be downloaded here, which then needs to be transfered to your phone to be installed.

The Titanium Backup, as mentioned in the previous post, can be downloaded straight from the market

Yay! :)

Basic kitchen for a bare bones ROM - let me know what else you'd like to see in here!

P

Thanks Paul. Legendary! Just downloaded now to wipe my phone and re-load! :)

Google Maps can be downloaded here, which then needs to be transfered to your phone to be installed.

The Titanium Backup, as mentioned in the previous post, can be downloaded straight from the market

Is the latest version of google maps? think it is v4 now.... Thanks.