AccDPad

Guest GunnarKarlsson

Guest COOLCABMAN
Hi there Gunner :P

Thank you so much for this cool app: now I won't miss the capacitive directional button of the O1 that much anymore :(

Currently using it with the notification icon (the best solution according to my taste), tried it for about 10 mins for ebook reading and it seems to work fine

hey vos dude, the master in this post, ye i guess gunner has done a great job, the sms cusror moving is solved, we used to have the dpad in O1, now we have the gunners acc dpad.

have a great day

Edited by COOLCABMAN

Guest COOLCABMAN
hey vos dude, the master in this post, ye i guess gunner has done a great job, the sms cusror moving is solved, we used to have the dpad in O1, now we have the gunners acc dpad.

have a great day

hello gunner,

i testes the ver 14, after setting up for shake to start, it does not start, even turn to start, let us know if u have any specific trick to do that. waiting for your response thanx once again for ll ur efforts.

Guest dwallersv
New release, 014

added shake2start and turn2start, see first post

enjoy!

//Gunnar

Gunnar -- sorry I've been incommunicado for awhile on your great app.

Tried these new activation methods, don't work on the i920 (Verizon O2). Also, when placing facedown to disable, the phone keeps vibrating over and over, rather than just once (as I would expect). AccDpad does get disabled, but the repeating haptic feedback occurs every time the phone is placed face-down. EDIT: This is related to not quitting the app -- IOW, if the Quit box is checked in settings (not allowing for the autostart features), then the app vibrates once when disabled. So, it seems when you detect that face-down orientation, you need to check the enabled/disabled status before giving haptic feedback. I'm guessing what's going on is I'm getting a disable/vibration code execution on every poll if it detects face-down, even if it's already disabled.

Are you building with the latest version of the Sam SDK? This might explain the bugs on the 920 if you're not...

Edited by dwallersv

Guest dwallersv

A few more strange things... Both the ACCdpad icon and the ACCDpad Notification icon show in the taskbar (the former in color, the latter b/w). They show up in the same location as the various bluetooth status icons, missed calls, etc. It is possible to access the ACCdpad icon by pressing this icon location, which WM then expands to an icon bar below the taskbar, where the ACCdpad icon(s) can be pressed, so this is no big deal, really. However, if it is possible to relocation the ACCdpad icon one position further to the left so it doesn't share the same positioning as the other icons, allowing access with a single press, this would be nice. Also, it wouldn't be hidden by BT, or hide BT status.

Second, both ACCdpad icons respond to a press, and both act identically -- they display the dialog at the bottom of the screen with your credits, and the quit and toggle softkeys. However, only the ACCdpad Notification icon (the white one) actually toggles functionality. The other one, which belongs to the background process itself, pretends to (it changes the dialog to say Enabled), but the feature doesn't enable. Strangely, the Notification version seems to keep Enabled/Disabled state seperately from the BG process UI, so the reported state (enabled/disabled) from the Notification icon is accurate, and the toggle softkey works there.

This is a bug of sorts. It also seems a bit redundant, and of course confusing (you can think you enabled the functionality, but it doesn't work). Why not just get rid of the separate Notification process, and just make the ACCdpad color icon actually toggle the function? The UI is already there...

Finally, you deserve props and credit for your work, of course! However, I would gently suggest that putting your credits in the enable/disable process is a bit of overkill. It would be a lot nicer for your users if hitting that icon simply toggled the functionality, and gave some quick visual and/or haptic feedback about the state (for instance, have the icon white when disabled, colored when enabled; short vibration when enabled, long when disabled).

Credits traditionally go in installers, and About dialogs (the latter you've done). Also at initial startup is quite common and well-accepted by users.

Lastly, I'd like to PayPal you a lunch for your efforts. Do you have a PayPal acct? No? Get one, Homer!

Edited by dwallersv

Guest dwallersv

Okay, I'm on a roll, 'cause I've been testing.

More bugs on i920: HOME/END don't work (doesn't matter how far I tilt left/right -- always get arrow presses). PG UP/DN are working nicely.

Another enhancement request: A gesture for TAB. Maybe the same as ENTER (works nicely on 920), except quick up/down, like right/left for enter.

This would be really really nice to have, as most virtual kbds don't have a TAB key on the main page of alpha keys.

As for the i920, just a far out suggestion: I'd be happy to be a source code tester/debugger; I've got a fully Visual Studio setup on my system with the Samsung libraries and emulators (as I'm sure you do), and I have a 920 to fiddle with code and then test on. I'd be more than happy to constrain my activity to only i920 platform compatability changes, and would certainly not share your code with anyone. I offer purely in the spirit of community -- no intent of personal gain (well, other than making sure this great app works on my 920 :P ).

Guest GunnarKarlsson
Tried these new activation methods, don't work on the i920 (Verizon O2). Also, when placing facedown to disable, the phone keeps vibrating over and over, rather than just once (as I would expect). AccDpad does get disabled, but the repeating haptic feedback occurs every time the phone is placed face-down. EDIT: This is related to not quitting the app -- IOW, if the Quit box is checked in settings (not allowing for the autostart features), then the app vibrates once when disabled. So, it seems when you detect that face-down orientation, you need to check the enabled/disabled status before giving haptic feedback. I'm guessing what's going on is I'm getting a disable/vibration code execution on every poll if it detects face-down, even if it's already disabled.

Are you building with the latest version of the Sam SDK? This might explain the bugs on the 920 if you're not...

Its nice with feedback! I really appreciate it even though it might sting a bit at first... If I did not want feedback I would just not make it official by putting it in a forum, so just fire away! ;-)

I think that the main defect of this software is that I am absolutely lousy with writing documentation. If anyone would like to make a nice image if I supply the information, then I can place the image in the setup program as a help topic reachable from the menu...

So I will try to answer your points:

First I think I will have to write down the terminology:

Enabled/Disabled: When the AccDPad process runs in the background it can be enabled or disabled

Enabled = sends key presses according to the tilted angle

Disabled = if turn2start or shake2start it looks for those two behaviors from the accelerometer.

Then the AccDPad process can be set to quit instead of sitting around in the background consuming CPU and a process slot, but then shake2start or turn2start will obviously not work...

AccDPadNotification just starts the AccDPad process and handles the icon in the task bar.

turn2start, vibration:

Yes, it vibrates each poll when placed screen down, I never places my phone face down so I did not think of it as a problem but it will be reevaluated after your feedback. The vibration is not to signal that it is disabled, thats a short vibration, it is to signal the user to turn the device face up to enable the sending of keys. But as I said, I think I will remove this vibration. The user have I think about 1.5s to turn the device to enable.

2 icons in the task bar:

I think that you just started AccDPadNotification twice, there should just be one icon per started AccDPadNotification instance. The background AccDPad process do not have any icon in the task bar. That one instance of AccDPadNotification did not work was more alarming, but I will look into it.

Credits in notification area:

Yes you are right, but the size of the notification "pop up" did not get smaller when I did not have the text there so I thought I should just use the place. ;-)

AccDPadNotification:

Toggle by just pressing the notification icon is a good idea, which I tried but it caused a system crash if there was many icons in the task bar so that the drop down with all icons was shown. I think it have to do with samsung large icons, but I did not find a way around it.

The notification application follows the windows mobile coding convention and places itself in the task bar like all other notifications. I tried another approach with AccDPadTopBar which places itself over the clock next to the x button, but there is allot of complexity involved in that approach. (Painting background transparent, move when device is rotated, etc, etc and to place it on the left of the icons caused problems when number of icons grew. I have not found a way to find out how large the task bar icon area is etc etc...) I think I will make the time/date change color whenever AccDPad is enabled.

End/Home not working: It might be that the program you test the keys on do not use End/Home, please test it with the note application where I think it works. You might have noticed that pg Up/Pg Down/end/home have a sharper vibration and the key presses do not "accelerate". did you notice that behavior for end/home? If not please check alpha2limit in the setup application.

Samsung SDK, I use the latest sdk 2.2 i think? but I do not install it on the device, that you have to do yourself. But if vibration etc and other things work you must have done that already. :-)

I think I covered all your issues and you all can look forward to a version 015 quite soon...

Oh, paypal etc... I really like the donation software concept but for me it is for now enough with friendly feedback and some appreciation shown in the forum. If you absolutely must show appreciation by monetary means donate to your favorite charity :-) I do this just for fun, while I'm on the train commuting to/from work, just to learn new stuff. (You might have noticed the need for me to learn...)

And according to the source etc, sure, if you like to I think I can open my VPN repository so that you can access it, or I can just mail you a zipped folder containing my code. Its not rocket science, and I do not really comment my personal hobby code, but I think the code is understandable.

//Gunnar

Edited by GunnarKarlsson

Guest Vostradamus

Hi there! :P

A little feature request, if feasable B)

Would it be possible to have AccDPad "reset" the backlight timeout every time it moves?

Example: I'm reading an ebook using AccDPad to turn pages, and it works great. When on battery power, my device is set to dim the screen after 1 minute and turn it off after 5. So every 1 minute I need to tap the screen somewhere, 'cause since I'm not tapping it to turn pages the device "thinks" I'm not using it. If AccDPad could "mimick" a tap every time I turn the page or something like that it would be just great :(

(regardless of this, my ebook reading experience got soooo much better since using AccDPad, I'll never thank you enough for this) :(

Guest dwallersv
New version, 015, see first post.

//Gunnar

Good man, Gunnar! Got your PM too. I'll email you separately.

Haven't tried the new version yet (just got into the thread as we speak), will do, and report feedback.

As for the "donation" thing, I understand your POV, and respect it. For the record, to me it's more a spirit of buying someone a good beer or treating them to lunch for doing a favor, not really strictly a money-making perspective. It's people like you that donate their time and effort to the community, in the spirit of friendship and shared interests and enthusiasm that I just want to buy lunch for :P

Dave

Guest GunnarKarlsson
How about keeping the backlight on? I noticed it goes off in bing.

I will look into it, I have also been irritated by that...

//Gunnar

Guest GunnarKarlsson
Would it be possible to have AccDPad "reset" the backlight timeout every time it moves?

Example: I'm reading an ebook using AccDPad to turn pages, and it works great. When on battery power, my device is set to dim the screen after 1 minute and turn it off after 5. So every 1 minute I need to tap the screen somewhere, 'cause since I'm not tapping it to turn pages the device "thinks" I'm not using it. If AccDPad could "mimick" a tap every time I turn the page or something like that it would be just great :P

Hi

New version 016, see first post.

When AccDPad is enabled the backlight will not turn off, for one hour, which will take care of the screen dimming after 1 minute. This can be disabled in Setup.

When the simulated keys are pressed I update the underlying windows CE system to not power off, just as a screen tap or hardware button press, which will prevent the 5 minute power off setting.

//Gunnar

Guest Vostradamus
Hi

New version 016, see first post.

When AccDPad is enabled the backlight will not turn off, for one hour, which will take care of the screen dimming after 1 minute. This can be disabled in Setup.

When the simulated keys are pressed I update the underlying windows CE system to not power off, just as a screen tap or hardware button press, which will prevent the 5 minute power off setting.

//Gunnar

You're the man! :P Will try it tonight (the usual time when I read my ebooks, just before sleeping lol) :(

Guest GunnarKarlsson
Nice work guy!

Glad you like it!

it should work on the omnia to, but I do not know if the feature to keep the screen from dimming functions on the first omnia, please try and report back!

//Gunnar

Guest GunnarKarlsson
It's killing me that I can't buy you a beer... ;)

;)

Did it work?

The keep screen alive feature I mean.

Edited by GunnarKarlsson

Guest Vostradamus
;)

Did it work?

The keep screen alive feature I mean.

Sorry, forgot to give feedback on that before ;)

On my device it's working like this:

- "backlight on" not checked -> backlight working like before, that is dimming after a while

- "backlight on" checked -> seems to keep backlight on no matter if I tilt the device or not (still turns screen off after a while according to power settings if I don't tilt it or use it)

would be nice being able to make it work so that it "un-dim" the screen when tilting the phone, like I was tapping the screen

nice idea the settings in degrees, had to get used to it but I think it's actually better ;)

Edited by Vostradamus

• 1 month later...
Guest GunnarKarlsson

New version v0.17, please see first post.

I finally got my new Omnia. The old one went back to samsung after loosing My Storage three times...

//Gunnar

Edited by GunnarKarlsson

Guest ajhvdb

Hi,

In accDpadNotification:

MissingMethodException

Can not find assembly.. christec.windowsce.forms version 1.0.3805. etc.

In the startmenu I have 4.. new options, which is the best to start?

In AccDpadsetup the test area doesn't do anything? Is this correct?

The sensor is active because I can see alpha, and beta values..

Edited by ajhvdb

Guest GunnarKarlsson
Hi,

In accDpadNotification:

MissingMethodException

Can not find assembly.. christec.windowsce.forms version 1.0.3805. etc.

In the startmenu I have 4.. new options, which is the best to start?

In AccDpadsetup the test area doesn't do anything? Is this correct?

The sensor is active because I can see alpha, and beta values..

Fixed the new cab to include that dll too.

short explanation of whats included, maybe its time to write a new first post. It is quite long now.

AccDPad, Main application, start it and keypresses start to be sent.

AccDPadSetup, setup application of angle limits and more.

AccDPadNotification, Will place an icon in the notification area. Press it and AccDPad can be toggled on and off.

AccDPadRotOrOK, new application, will send an Ok/Close if the phone is held in the orientation as the screen is, otherwise it rotates the screen. Kind of hard to explain, just try it out.

AccDPadTopBar, small application that writes time and date in the taskbar according to settings in the registry keys under

HKCU\Software\GK_Apps\ACCDPadTopBar. The topbar applikation can also launch custom shortcuts named TopBar_1.lnk - TopBar_6.lnk depending on how long the top bar area is pressed. Place the shortcuts int the application folder. Default behavior if no custom shortcuts is to launch AccDPad if one tap and setup application on tap and short hold.

In the accdpadsetup program you have a test area that should respond to the keypresses from the accdpad process. Please save your settings and then press the start process button. Then the test area will receive the keypresses. Good Luck!

I'm better at writing code than manuals... sorry about that.

//Gunnar

Edited by GunnarKarlsson

Guest itsme_4ucz

Hi GunnarKarlsson,

This was just the application i was looking for, thanks a lot!!!

Not sure if you have frozen development on this but it would be great if you you could add the feature below:

- TapAndHold a button to enable DPad, once the user releases the button its stops and so forth... this make this tool very powerful

Thanks again!!!

Guest GunnarKarlsson
Hi GunnarKarlsson,

This was just the application i was looking for, thanks a lot!!!

Not sure if you have frozen development on this but it would be great if you you could add the feature below:

- TapAndHold a button to enable DPad, once the user releases the button its stops and so forth... this make this tool very powerful

Thanks again!!!

If you mean a hardware button it would be kind of hard to do from .net, I think... (but I will look into it, it is something I would like to know how to do anyway)

I suggest mapping accdpad.exe to a button and using it for on/off toggling, It would take one more keypress but would not take up more buttons than tap-and-hold on the hardware button.

//Gunnar

• 3 weeks later...
Guest GunnarKarlsson
On my Omnia II i'm only able to move up & down.. If i tilt phone on the left or right nothing happens...

How does it look in the setup program?

Could you please check the angle settings there, and test it using the "test-area".

//Gunnar