Rom Dump/Build Application

Guest wes58

Guest Gary Crutcher
Gary but you ported the os/xip or not? if not read the first line of my post ;)!!!

btw thx for the reply :D

I used Sorg's dskdump.exe to get a copy of my pda.

I renamed it to pda.nb.

I used RomTool to dump it, which also creates xip folders.

I deleted stuff from SYS and OEM folders, but DID NOT touch the xip folder

as I saw no reason to change anything.

I clicked 'Build" then clicked RelocateV on the ExtReloc screen.

Afterwards I had a new rom (85+ mb free program ram).

As of today, I do not plan on changing anything in the XIP, although I

would like to learn how to change the Page Pool size. But, I am

in no hurry to do this until I am sure what to do.

By using the default settings everything should work fine.

Hope this helps.

Guest Gary Crutcher
Gary but you ported the os/xip or not? if not read the first line of my post ;)!!!

btw thx for the reply :D

Sorry...duplicate post

Edited by Gary Crutcher

Guest defaultBR
I used Sorg's dskdump.exe to get a copy of my pda.

I renamed it to pda.nb.

I used RomTool to dump it, which also creates xip folders.

I deleted stuff from SYS and OEM folders, but DID NOT touch the xip folder

as I saw no reason to change anything.

I clicked 'Build" then clicked RelocateV on the ExtReloc screen.

Afterwards I had a new rom (85+ mb free program ram).

As of today, I do not plan on changing anything in the XIP, although I

would like to learn how to change the Page Pool size. But, I am

in no hurry to do this until I am sure what to do.

By using the default settings everything should work fine.

Hope this helps.

you dont understood me :D,

porting xip/sys doesnt mean you will only remove or add things like, delete the sample music folder, its not porting... its mod....

porting is to change the OS version. you probably is with 6.5, im trying to port to 6.5.5, so YOU NEED to port the xip.bin and sys folder with the 6.5.5 contents.... ;)

Guest Gary Crutcher
you dont understood me :D,

porting xip/sys doesnt mean you will only remove or add things like, delete the sample music folder, its not porting... its mod....

porting is to change the OS version. you probably is with 6.5, im trying to port to 6.5.5, so YOU NEED to port the xip.bin and sys folder with the 6.5.5 contents.... ;)

So...if I understand correctly, you have to do additional steps for for 6.5.5 vs.

6.5?

I have not tried 6.5.5 as I do not like the buttons at the bottom, but I will try to

build a rom using 6.5.5 just to see what happens.

Please point me in the direction of a clean (uncooked) 6.5.5 rom.

Thanks.

Guest defaultBR

doesnt exist a 6.5.5 rom uncooked, everybody got 6.5 roms, than cook it changing xip.bin and sys folder with the 6.5.5 xip.bin and sys folder, than after that start making the modding....

Guest Gary Crutcher
doesnt exist a 6.5.5 rom uncooked, everybody got 6.5 roms, than cook it changing xip.bin and sys folder with the 6.5.5 xip.bin and sys folder, than after that start making the modding....

Ok...are you try to cook an already cooked rom?

I ask because everything I have read from the cooks says to NOT try

to cook an already cooked rom (note: no explanation I could find).

So, I have not tried.

Guest defaultBR
Ok...are you try to cook an already cooked rom?

no

I ask because everything I have read from the cooks says to NOT try

to cook an already cooked rom (note: no explanation I could find).

So, I have not tried.

1) Guys ""COPYRIGHT"" of the hardwork in cooking roms

2) almost aways all cooked roms have a protection, so if you try to dump it from you pda, you can, BUT when you try to dump using wes or pako tool, you will get error or a empty folders.... so you cant do nothing with it...

Guest Gary Crutcher
no

1) Guys ""COPYRIGHT"" of the hardwork in cooking roms

2) almost aways all cooked roms have a protection, so if you try to dump it from you pda, you can, BUT when you try to dump using wes or pako tool, you will get error or a empty folders.... so you cant do nothing with it...

Would I have the same problem if I dumped MY custom rom and used Wes's romtool?

Guest Gary Crutcher
yes, btw try to do it, for me dont worked =| but as i remember i used the pako executor.....

Am dumping my custom rom now.

Will let you know the results of using romtool on it.

Guest Gary Crutcher

Although I got no errors, I did notice the OEM folder was empty.

Romtool put the packages in the SYS folder....interesting.

I then built a new pda.nb with no errors.

But...the new file was 21MB smaller than my original.

Gotta go to class...will return in 2 hours.

Guest defaultBR
lol, without porting xip/os i got success in building rom, but in new os, i got stucked at Omnia 2 LOGO ¬¬

what a did:

xip.bin(from 6.5.5) in xipnewOS folder

xip.bin(from 6.5, rom dump xip) in xipORG folder

SYS: only left .rom, .vm folders from the old os

from the new sys, i got all the folder that had in the old os + riched20, webview, + SYSTEM_DEFAULT_FONTS

in ROMtool.exe

fuckingm.jpg

in extr reloc, press realloc imgfs modules than save .vm .rom, close

and it sucessfull made the pda, but it wont startup, stucked at samsung omnia II logo

why the hell?

ARGH

Someone can help me in this please, i tried a lot of times, cant find the error :| argh

Although I got no errors, I did notice the OEM folder was empty.

Romtool put the packages in the SYS folder....interesting.

I then built a new pda.nb with no errors.

But...the new file was 21MB smaller than my original.

Gotta go to class...will return in 2 hours.

ok, thanks for the info ;)!!! but without OEM folder, you dont have nothing, hehehe...

cya =]

Someone can help me in this please, i tried a lot of times, cant find the error :| argh

ok, thanks for the info ;)!!! but without OEM folder, you dont have nothing, hehehe...

cya =]

The part of my application which is used for porting xip, combines file/modules from existing xip and the new os xip.

If you are porting new OS it is not enough to do in Extreloc 'realloc imgfs', you have to reallocate xip modules as well.

After you run extreloc it will build new xip_out.bin.

About your empty \oem folder, I think that you are trying to dump modified rom. When you create the rom with buildos, buildos removes microsoft certificates from dsm files that's why pkgtool can't separate the modules into oem and sys folder. You can try to tick 'use my application' instead of pkgtool it may work, but you may still find some folders in sys that may be moved to oem.

a technical question about .hv files I never understood even googling ;) . Are they the simply sum of all the rgu files in the rom or they have specific and further entries which we can edit if necessary...

Guest Teflanzy

hi there we.

i dumped an original rom which the arabic official rom

i managed to dump it with your tool. byt now i don't know what to do.

what files to delete and how to delete them. should i delete them using sys/oem mods section in your tool?

can you please give a detailed explanation on which files to delete or even where to find each application and delete in case i don't need it.

one more thing, i read that i need to modify the registery. how can i do that.

thanks alot man for your help.

hi there we.

i dumped an original rom which the arabic official rom

i managed to dump it with your tool. byt now i don't know what to do.

what files to delete and how to delete them. should i delete them using sys/oem mods section in your tool?

can you please give a detailed explanation on which files to delete or even where to find each application and delete in case i don't need it.

one more thing, i read that i need to modify the registery. how can i do that.

thanks alot man for your help.

in sys but mostly in oem folder you have to delete the apps you don't want in your rom. How find files related to an app?this is a try and error process you have to experiment. You can delete files directly or using the Wes kitchen which automatize the process saving in a log file what you are doing...Further you have to delete also the registry entries for every app you want to delete, open the rgu file in the oem packet and find the keys related to that software. Finally you can delete even the shortcuts created at the first boot process stored in initiaflash.dat. It's no simple but it is the core process of cooking so if you want to be a cooker you have to learn...

Guest Teflanzy

ok thank alot for your help

but most cookers know where to find the files for the applications that they want to remove.

so maybe someone can help us with that.

about the rgu file

do you mean that i should look for all rgu files or is there a sepicific rgu file that has the application entries?

thanks again

ok thank alot for your help

but most cookers know where to find the files for the applications that they want to remove.

so maybe someone can help us with that.

about the rgu file

do you mean that i should look for all rgu files or is there a sepicific rgu file that has the application entries?

thanks again

if you want to delete a Samsung app you have to find its files in the oem folder (you can look for the name of the app with the windows search tool)

for the registry you have to search in the rgu file that is in the same folder of the files you have deleted...

Btw there is no trick (almost I don't know it) to find all the registry, files and shortcuts related to an app in few minutes...

Edited by kibiwi

Guest defaultBR
Btw there is no trick (almost I don't know it) to find all the registry, files and shortcuts related to an app in few minutes...

use windows search to search into the folder for information INTO the files... if you type, podcast it will return EVERY file that have podcast writed into it or named with it

use windows search to search into the folder for information INTO the files... if you type, podcast it will return EVERY file that have podcast writed into it or named with it

sure but when the app have a generic name you can find lot of registry entries not always related to that specific app you want to delete...It's a beginning point using a content search but don't solve all the difficulties in finding all app stuff...many file related with a software frequently have a name totally different from the executable...It's an hard work

Edited by kibiwi

Guest defaultBR

yes, but dont need to remove from the help files the reference to the podcast for example, its a way of wasting time...

its "podcast = 7bytes entry", dont make any difference in the rom

for me the search content work WELL, i can remove the .exe, .png images, entry settings(.rgu, .provxml), lnk, if have another file related i read in the .provxml to see, find and delete....

for me its good ^^

i think if you remove the most important(.exe,.png,.lnk, and from .rgu, .provxml, .dat) a good registry clenaer later can solve and remove every other things related ;)

Edited by defaultBR

yes, but dont need to remove from the help files the reference to the podcast for example, its a way of wasting time...

its "podcast = 7bytes entry", dont make any difference in the rom

for me the search content work WELL, i can remove the .exe, .png images, entry settings(.rgu, .provxml), lnk, if have another file related i read in the .provxml to see, find and delete....

for me its good ^^

i think if you remove the most important(.exe,.png,.lnk, and from .rgu, .provxml, .dat) a good registry clenaer later can solve and remove every other things related ;)

The main reason that you want to remove some applications is that you want to gain more storage space. So the more you delete, the more space you gain. But sometimes it is hard to find everything that is linked to a particular application. So if you delete only the main part of the application and you don't get any errors when you use your rom that's should be good enough.

Guest Gary Crutcher
I got an error imgfs-new.bin not found after imgfsfromdump started for like one sec.

I had this happen under vista and win7 and discovered it was my anti-virus causing

imgfsfromdump to abort with "Not enough memory".

Maybe you can check your anti-virus (mine is bitdefender).

I just turned Game Mode on and now it works ok.

Edited by Gary Crutcher