30/Jun r5 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero now with Online Kitchen - Android 2.1

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest toxic-hero
So - is this worth it at all?

yes it is! if not for other stuff it's worth because many apps on the market doesn't support android 1.5 anymore and in the future there will be even more of those.

i don't really know what's wrong with your hero but if i were you i'd flash the latest recovery image and than wipe and reflash the rom again.

ps - at your own risk of course!

Guest DerBrox

Hi guys!

I am running the r5 for some weeks, everything works fine.

On todays morning on the hero i got the message, that there is a system-update avaible from HTC (OTA). It´s called 3.32.405.2 with the size of 5.87 MB.

What is that? Should i do the update over the r5-release??

Help please! :huh:

EDIT: okay i found that issue here in the forum, update bringing back g-sensor calibration. BUT i cant find an answer, whether that update should be installed when running r5 or not? Anyone have an idea?

Thanks a lot!

Edited by DerBrox

Guest toxic-hero
okay i found that issue here in the forum, update bringing back g-sensor calibration. BUT i cant find an answer, whether that update should be installed when running r5 or not? Anyone have an idea?

if you flash stock HTC update over custom ROM you'll loose root privileges and you'll be back to stock HTC android. i also think that OTA upgrade for you (as you're on r5) isn't possible. if you really wanna do it you have to download it from HTC and install it but i think you should wait until paul releases a new custom ROM bringing you the same goodies.

Edited by toxic-hero

Guest wangtastic
So - is this worth it at all? Should I try to re-flash again (but don't know what to do different to prevent the boot loop), or just consider my GBP9.99 down the toilet?

Try baking it with A2SD and not A2SD+ (if indeed you were before) then try the following:

restore your nandroid of the ORIGINAL un-rooted standard HTC hero ROM (s'what I did!)

wipe EVERYTHING data/sd/ext/del-cache

install the rom :huh:

wait for a long time after initial boot, mine got stuck on the green "HTC quietly brilliant" screen for a fair amount of time before suddenly springing to life! ;)

Guest hspace

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It seems a large number of us are having the same boot loop issue - one thing I notice is that almost all are using the baked ROMs. So I tried the pre-baked one and it worked. Didn't get stuck for very long on the HTC Q.B. screen. - But Java doesn't work! Also a lot of people find Java doesn't work, but been reading for pages & pages but no solution.

I just click the Java app, and I get "The application Java (process.com.esmertec.android.jbed) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

Secondly - how the heck do I get Chinese IME on the pre-baked ROM?

If not possible, and I really have to wade back into the seeming hell hole that is the kitchen -

1) I'm on Amon Ra 1.5.2. um, how do I update to 1.7 without all that ADB stuff? And do I really have to update? (since the pre-baked ROM didn't seem to have problems)

2) Can someone reveal what exactly is in the pre-baked ROM, so that we can get as close as possible to that combination when baking one (with Chinese IME, say)?

Thank you humbly (and tiredly - must have rebooted 50 times..)

Edited by hspace

Guest hspace
I used a Kitchen ROM with AmonRA 1.5.2!

then what am I doing wrong :huh: ;) :( :D :D

OK -

1) SD card - partitioned to 96MB swap, 512MB ext 2 (then converted to ext 3), remainder FAT32

2) Procedure used:

- copied a kitchen ROM to SD card

- wipe everything

- flash the ROM

- reboot

- then, the dreaded boot loop woop-de-doo

Anything silly I've done?

Also, what components did you select or deselect in the kitchen? (I've a number of combinations, A2SD instead of A2SD+, leaving out wavesecure etc)

Guest toxic-hero
1) I'm on Amon Ra 1.5.2. um, how do I update to 1.7 without all that ADB stuff? And do I really have to update? (since the pre-baked ROM didn't seem to have problems)

download the new recovery and put it on your sd card. install Better Terminal Emulator and open it. than type in:

su

flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.7.0.1.img

reboot to recovery to see if all well.

Edited by toxic-hero

Guest wangtastic

What I found was a clincher for me, was to restore a Nandroid backup of the ORIGINAL HTC Stock ROM.

Then wipe EVERYTHING (as you are doing)

Then Install the ROM.

Also, using A2SD+ caused extremely long loads for me, so I went back to plain ol' A2SD.

Guest hspace

@.@ only have a nandroid backup of Modaco 3.2 :huh:"

Give up.. I can't stand the heat of the kitchen any more LOL. Modaco and other non-baked ROMs have no such issue. A member here, seansing, directed me to hero-roms.blogspot.com where a large collection of custom ROMS are listed. I've tried 4-5 so far, and all installed with no boot loop. Something's up with the online kitchen that must be causing hundreds of lost hours between everyone LOL.

Villain seems to have automagically updated the recovery image to Amon RA 1.6.2 too, a nice surprise.

Thanks to wangtastic and toxic-hero for the very kind replies.

For those looking for a ROM with Chinese IME, just google for the HTC one, and flash the zip over your custom ROM. Then, long press any text box to choose Input Method. Seems to work.

Guest AlThePost
Something's up with the online kitchen that must be causing hundreds of lost hours between everyone LOL.

Definitely a case of YMMV. I've flashed literally dozens of kitchen-baked MCRs and never had an issue. I have had boot loops with other ROMs.

why worry? modaco rom is fast and stable. i don't think it needs to be upgraded more than once in a while. what features are you missing?

no -- even without a task killer installed, Launcher dies and restarts about once a day, depending on how much non-telephony use the device gets.

/TBX

Guest alt236

Back on the java issue,

I guess that some kitches build are missing files.

Can someone who has a working java installation fire up an adb shell and type the following two commands in, and post the results here?

find | grep -i -s java | grep -v ^\.\/sdcard\/

and

find | grep -i jbed

This should print out any relevant files.

My output from the first command is:

./cache/dalvik-cache/system@[email protected]@classes.dex
./system/framework/javax.obex.jar
find: ./proc/20998: No such file or directory
find: ./proc/21066: No such file or directory
./data/dalvik-cache/system@[email protected]@classes.dex[/codebox]

And the second one:

[codebox]./system/app/Jbed.apk
./data/dalvik-cache/system@[email protected]@classes.dex
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/lib
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/Installed
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/Installed/AndroidManifest.xml
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/Installed/XTDroid.bks
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/Installed/classes.dex
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/Installed/dommap.utf
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/Installed/icon.png
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/Installed/list_item_icon_text.xml
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/Installed/policy.utf
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/Installed/resources.arsc
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/Installed/selector.utf
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/Installed/start_8.png
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/Installed/t0_.jar
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/Installed/themes.utf
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/LocalInstall
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/PreInstall
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android39.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android40.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android41.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android42.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android43.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android44.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android45.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android46.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android47.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android48.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android49.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android50.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android51.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android0.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android1.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android53.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android5.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android6.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android7.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android8.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android9.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android10.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android11.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android12.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android13.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android2.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android3.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android4.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android26.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android27.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android28.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android29.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android30.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android14.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android15.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android16.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android17.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android18.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android19.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android20.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android21.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android22.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android23.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android24.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android25.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android52.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android31.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android32.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android33.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android34.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android35.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android36.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android37.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/SIM/DF/trustedCertificates/android38.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/DEVICE
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/certs/DEVICE/rootcert.cer
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/tmp
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/location
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/PendingInstall
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/databases
./data/data/com.esmertec.android.jbed/databases/jbed.db

Guest sambartle

If we cant apply the OTA, How do we stop the update notifications from appearing when using R5?

Its getting tiresome to see it everytime I restart my phone. (I've toggled the setting in settings)

Edited by sambartle

Guest toxic-hero
If we cant apply the OTA, How do we stop the update notifications from appearing when using R5?

i'm sure it was somewhere in settings, i just don't remember where exactly. can't look into it, cos i'm on froyo now, but i'm sure it's there...

Guest philos64
then what am I doing wrong :huh: ;) :( :D ;)

OK -

1) SD card - partitioned to 96MB swap, 512MB ext 2 (then converted to ext 3), remainder FAT32

2) Procedure used:

- copied a kitchen ROM to SD card

- wipe everything

- flash the ROM

- reboot

- then, the dreaded boot loop woop-de-doo

Anything silly I've done?

Also, what components did you select or deselect in the kitchen? (I've a number of combinations, A2SD instead of A2SD+, leaving out wavesecure etc)

It would be necessary that you format your card SD as this:

Swap:0

Ext2 : 512 Mb (converted to Ext3)

The remainder in FAT32

Before making it, save your card.

If that can help you. :D

Guest Abaddon_au

Kitchen Capers

Hi all,

It's taken me a while to get around to downloading the rom. Unfortunately, despite multiple attempts at downloading via the kitchen - signed/unsigned etc etc. I keep getting error messages in the recovery console when I'm trying to flash.

I've worked around this by downloading the complete rom (with additions) but unfortunately, I've managed to get to a low on space error on Day 2, and my phone is seriously making me want to throw it out the window with the continuous wavesecure popups.

Is anyone else having problems with the rom? The kitchen server I keep seeing is "Delia".

Cheers,

Guest Richard K. Szabo

Has this Mod. come to include the latest update from HTC which solves some rather annoying bugs such as SIM-contacts being visible when unchecked etc...?

Think HTC released this update some month ago.

I'm pleased to present my Android 2.1 based MoDaCo Custom ROM for the GSM HTC Hero! READ THIS WHOLE POST BEFORE YOU START! No, really, it contains everything you need to know. :huh:

This is a sneak preview of the base that i'll be using for the full MCR release... to give you all a chance to play, tweak, test, comment etc. etc. ;)

When can we expect a final modaco custom rom for our hero ?

+1

Had R5 for weeks until froydvillains latest update was too tempting! now running 2.2 on my hero and cant go back to 2.1! com on paul!! update please!!! :huh:

+1

Had R5 for weeks until froydvillains latest update was too tempting! now running 2.2 on my hero and cant go back to 2.1! com on paul!! update please!!! :huh:

What don't you like about r5?? Have used it for more than a month and from my perspective it works really well - fast stable, no issues.

Haven't tried Froyo so cannot tell if it's even better. Increassed speed and better battery life is desirable. Is Froyo much quicker than r5 on Hero?

Guest toxic-hero
What don't you like about r5?? Have used it for more than a month and from my perspective it works really well - fast stable, no issues.

Haven't tried Froyo so cannot tell if it's even better. Increassed speed and better battery life is desirable. Is Froyo much quicker than r5 on Hero?

r5 is very good indeed but it seems there wont be any bigger updates (like froyo) here on modaco. custom hero roms with froyo are experiencing a really big developement at the moment and froydvillain is (by my opinion) the most stable and polished among them. battery life is probably the same as r5's, maybe even better in standby mode. speed is very good, also probably the same as r5's (i'm talking about default kernel, you can even increase it with faster kernels/cpus, but stability and battery than suffer).

but you have to say goodbye to sense (and flash lite) if you move to froyo. try and decide on your own. i already did. ;-)

Edited by toxic-hero

Guest kay_ran
r5 is very good indeed but it seems there wont be any bigger updates (like froyo) here on modaco. custom hero roms with froyo are experiencing a really big developement at the moment and froydvillain is (by my opinion) the most stable and polished among them. battery life is probably the same as r5's, maybe even better in standby mode. speed is very good, also probably the same as r5's (i'm talking about default kernel, you can even increase it with faster kernels/cpus, but stability and battery than suffer).

but you have to say goodbye to sense (and flash lite) if you move to froyo. try and decide on your own. i already did. ;-)

Have been using froydvillain for a while - and it's lightening fast, stable - brilliant rom. However, the battery life is terrible, same with villainrom12 (also a great 2.1 rom). So it's up to you. I'm currently coming back to modaco (as I end up doing every time) because no other rom compares in the battery life dept. For example, with villainrom - within an hour, it would have used 20/30% of my battery, without me even using the phone. With modaco, my phone lasts a good couple of days without needing a charge. But try it out - as I said, the rom is brilliant. If the battery issue could be sorted, I wouldn't look back.