Windows Phone 7 OS Review

Guest Lancez

guys,

i hate to say this, but i was really disappointed after i read that review. what was MS thinking?! :) i think it's time to get myself a HTC HD2.

quote from original review:

Key features:

•Premium mobile OS (high minimum hardware requirements)

•Clean, uncluttered interface with distinctive design language

•Easy and thumbable user interface

•Smooth operation with cool animations and transition effects

•A fresh start with no legacy support needed

•Backed up and developed by one of the largest software companies in the world

•Excellent MS Office mobile implementation

•Top-notch social integration

•Excellent cloud services integration (SkyDrive, Windows Live, Xbox Live)

Main disadvantages:

•No system-wide file manager

•No videocalling

•Limited third-party apps

•No Bluetooth file transfers

•No USB mass storage mode

•No memory card support

•No multitasking

•No copy paste

•Too dependent on Zune software for computer file management and syncing

•No music player equalisers

•No Flash or Silverlight support in the web browser

•No sign of free Bing maps Navigation so far

•No DivX/XviD video support

read this review here

Guest Snow02

Basically, the locking down of the device is what I have a major problem with. I'm sure those smarter than myself over at xda will have it cracked open within a month of release, but why have to go to the trouble? I use my phone as a flash drive all the time. I use bluetooth to transfer files and tether on the go. I can't believe they don't have flash or (at least) silverlight in the browser. And no sd card? Come on.

I had high hopes, but if this is all true, I may end up going android for my next phone. I got to use a fascinate for a bit the other day, and I can't believe MS is releasing with these omissions with devices like that already out. I don't know that Office/Exchange/Skydrive integration is going to be enough of a bonus to overshadow the shortcomings. I don't do the social network or xbox thing so those don't factor for me. I guess we'll see soon enough. But initially, it's not looking good.

Edited by Snow02

Guest Del1701

Oh dear not good news at all, and for me personally I realy don't like the look of the UI. Sad to say this but I'm due an upgrade already so for me I think I'll be looking at the galaxy s , N8 or HTC desire HD.

Guest Lancez
Oh dear not good news at all, and for me personally I realy don't like the look of the UI. Sad to say this but I'm due an upgrade already so for me I think I'll be looking at the galaxy s , N8 or HTC desire HD.

i have never had a Nokia, but based on what i have read in the last few days, i think N8 might be a good choice. but i will get a HD2 before winmo disappeared. :)

Guest Snow02
i have never had a Nokia, but based on what i have read in the last few days, i think N8 might be a good choice. but i will get a HD2 before winmo disappeared. :)

Yeah. I considered that too, but I'm going to have to move to a newer OS on my next phone. I'm just going to wait for the LTE devices to come out Q1 next year and make the switch then.

Guest Del1701

Well I got the N95 when it first came out and I realy loved it, I'm hoping the N8 will give me the same wow factor if not then android here I come lol,I had a look at the galaxy last week and all I can say is wow it blows the O2 away ;)

Guest costipl

•No memory card support

•No multitasking

•No copy paste

Somebody decided to copy the wrong features from Apple?

Guest drorcun
guys,

i hate to say this, but i was really disappointed after i read that review. what was MS thinking?! :) i think it's time to get myself a HTC HD2.

quote from original review:

Key features:

•Premium mobile OS (high minimum hardware requirements)

•Clean, uncluttered interface with distinctive design language

•Easy and thumbable user interface

•Smooth operation with cool animations and transition effects

•A fresh start with no legacy support needed

•Backed up and developed by one of the largest software companies in the world

•Excellent MS Office mobile implementation

•Top-notch social integration

•Excellent cloud services integration (SkyDrive, Windows Live, Xbox Live)

Main disadvantages:

•No videocalling

•No memory card support

•No multitasking

•No copy paste

read this review here

i think it's a bad copy of iphone..

Guest 1sokel
That what I was telling to people

Windows Phone 7 will be the end of Windows Mobile era.

Sell it and buy an android phone that is the future leave MS and winphones 7 is a joke not a proper operative system

Guest DunKnow

I was thinking that they did this to test drive the first ever series of Windows Phone 7. The same method used by apple, then they slowly for furture releases of the WP7, they will release the features like multitasking. It would then be more safer if there are problems to be found. Maybe i am wrong, haha just my thoughts.

Guest mangizmo

NO copy and paste....are you serious ???, if true, what are they thinking ??, this feature is essential and without it many of the agenda features are seriously degraded....WinMo has always had copy and paste...that sucks

Guest Terry666

With you almost 100% :P But Symbian 3 with 360 x 640 res. and 680Mhz... :) The HD is almost good as the SGS witch I'll go for IF and WHEN come with FROYO build in... ;)

Time for me to say by-by to WM as I have the chance to upgrade my phone with LESS money per month and any new phone :(

Guest awarner
i think it's a bad copy of iphone..

From what I have seen it is far from an iphone copy, the whole system runs completely different.

This is the change Windows mobile (now Phone) needed, its designed for ease of use so will be in interesting time.

Then again just having Live and Zune is a big selling point for me.

Guest Del1701

I loved my omnia, and when I bought the o2 I thought it would be the dogs b******s, how wrong I was, the only thing that made the o2 was this community and all the effort everone put in to make the o2 better and for this I'm very grateful :) but now I think winmo is over and from the specs for winmo 7 well it won't compete with whats out there. It's sad that it has come to this.

Guest abdelrahim

Main disadvantages:

•No videocalling 

•No memory card support 

•No multitasking 

•No copy paste 

Bad News.... Will stick to 6.5 and wait for wm7.1 after they change their mind...

Guest Snow02

Yeah, it's always possible that was just this guys review unit. The original dell lightning specs show having an sd card. So maybe that's not part of the actual WP7 spec. We'll see come Monday.

This appears to have a ton of potential, I'd just hate to see it hamstrung by being so locked down.

WP7 should not treated as successor of WinMo 6.5(.x) .. Microsoft will continue to develop WinMo OS..

WP7 is intended for end-users and rival to iPhone-style phones..

Guest darkworldzz

oh i heard that someone is porting this to the HD2.(i think it is the android team) which makes HD2 capable of running 3 OS.. AWESOME!!

Edited by darkworldzz

That reviewer doesn't seem to care about having a smart phone, just a phone that has a fancy interface.

All the points of missing features that made winmo an excellent smart phone were nothing more than bullet points among him praising the "hubs".

It's just sad that the only real choice for smart phones anymore lays in bloody google.

oh i heard that someone is porting this to the HD2.(i think it is the android team) which makes HD2 capable of running 3 OS.. AWESOME!!

I think what we need is a phone with the highest spec'ed hardware and able to port multiple OS (IO4+Froyo+WP7+WM6.5.X)

I have been waiting for WP7 to see if it could make me happy with my Omnia 2 (i920) which I have flashed to just about every ROM out there to try to make it be what I need it to be. Meanwhile I could get a free LG Ally so I decided to see what Android is all about. All I can say is that in order for WP7 to effectively compete with Android they would have to leave all the great Windows features in and add in the cool WP7 features and then some. If the description of WP7 in this thread is accurate, I agree that it amounts to suicide for Windows Mobile. My Ally isn't even running 2.2 yet (soon to be updated though) and it has my Omnia beat in most every area straight out of the box. The WP7 social interface may be the best thing about the operating system and that's not a good enough draw for me.

From my point of view I agree with Lancez: WP7 is a total delusion. Currently I'll stay with WM 6.5 and play with WM kitchen, but my next OS will be Android.

Guest skoda60
From my point of view I agree with Lancez: WP7 is a total delusion. Currently I'll stay with WM 6.5 and play with WM kitchen, but my next OS will be Android.

Totally agree with your points. I will kept my Omnia2 for Garmin Mobile XT and most likely move to Samsung Galaxy S.