Best backup and restore method

Guest mightymouse1045

Guest mightymouse1045

Hi,

I finally have my phone setup the way I like it and want to install one last mod that potentially can brick my phone. What is the best method to backup the phone as it is and capture 100% exactly the way it is setup, all contacts, theme, icon images etc etc etc

I think I only need to capture the registry and any installed apps local to the \ root 'Internal' storage as the \My Storage and \Storage Card don't get wiped during a flash (as long as you don't want them to). But I don't know for sure so hence the question :)

1. ROM dump and reflash with the dumped ROM?

2. SPB or SKTools backup - reflash, reinstall, and restore?

3. Alternative\Manual method?

I like option 1 but not sure if that's the way ROM dumps work - so if anyone can confirm either way would be great and if not then what IS the best way to capture an exact snapshot of the phone if possible?

Thanks in advance :)

Looking for a nice ROM? Gary Crutcher is definitely recommended.

JH2-23689 - I have JF1 Phone, with Gary's JH2 PDA. It is FAST, STABLE and USEABLE straight out of the box, with +90MB RAM FREE. NO NEED FOR SENSE OR SPB

http://www.modaco.com/content/i8000-omnia-...september-2010/

Guest mightymouse1045

I cannot believe that out of this huge community no one could come back with an answer to the best method of backing up.

I will go through the 1 to 2 days testing the above methods and any others I can find. I am just disappointed that no one seems to have done this before to avoid having to go through the same saga again sigh

Oh well I will post the best method on backup and restore within the next few days

Guest Darius P.
I cannot believe that out of this huge community no one could come back with an answer to the best method of backing up.

I will go through the 1 to 2 days testing the above methods and any others I can find. I am just disappointed that no one seems to have done this before to avoid having to go through the same saga again sigh

Oh well I will post the best method on backup and restore within the next few days

Everybody busy, maybe :P

Restore programs from old to new (diferent) rom? I don't think so.

Best to use XDA_UC_NET v.0.9.4.2.- it will reistall all programs that in sd card xda_uc folder. (read manual)

for backup contacts, messages and files, even regystry entres - use SPB backup.

rgds,

Darius

Guest mightymouse1045
Everybody busy, maybe :P

Restore programs from old to new (diferent) rom? I don't think so.

Best to use XDA_UC_NET v.0.9.4.2.- it will reistall all programs that in sd card xda_uc folder. (read manual)

for backup contacts, messages and files, even regystry entres - use SPB backup.

rgds,

Darius

Same rom to same rom - Just if you have the build just like you want (which lets face it takes at least a day or more when your talking about reinstalling 20 to 30 different apps, configuration and all the rest of it for a new rom), then you get another update you want to apply which has the potential to brick your rom - transparent taskbars - shell32.exe and aygshell.dll.

I've done this in the past and just wanted to avoid the hassle of having to go through the saga again, for what is essentially 'a nice to have' update, and only 'IF' it happens to brick my phone.

I just would have thought guys cooking roms etc would have gone through this on a regular basis and would know the best way to snapshot exactly what they have just the way they like it and restore it once they have done their mods/cooking etc etc same rom to same rom I would have thought there'd be a clear and easy way to do this.

Anyways thanks for the suggestion I was going to try that out along with settings export, and sktools/spb backup - it looks like it's going to be backup - reflash - reinstall backup app - restore. Which is a damn site easier and alot faster than the manual method - I was just hoping for maybe rom dump - and reflash with the dumped rom, alas no response on that one so I will try it but won't hold my breath.

lol, hopefully I won't even need to, but better safe than sorry

Cheers!

I don't do any hardcore mods, but I have a long enough list of patches/cabs etc that I've put on my phone. The only thing I did was load up notepad and make a checklist of everything. When I hard reset I just go through the list.

Might be more cumbersome if you have quite a bit though.