[ROM] [froyo] Swedish Spring RLS5 [2011-04-19] [OLED+TFT] [Gen1][Gen2]

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest Skoppo

What you're probably looking for... is a phone that doesn't run Android :mellow:

There's a list here of what you can and can't move from Googles stuff: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Barebones

As they've listed the market as removable though, it's possible the market itself is dependant on some of the other stuff they have listed as removable.

It's that bad huh? :o

What I'm looking for in essence is a privacy motivated, stripped down ROM without Google apps onto which open source software, that uses privacy strengthening technologies like client-side peer-to-peer encryption, have been or can be added e.g. Gibberbot OTR-encrypted instant messaging instead of Google Talk.

Hmm.. Perhaps it would be a good idea to start a completely new thread with the subject of creating a ROM that minimizes/disables privacy compromising functionalities of Android that send intimate personal informations to Google? What do you think? Is this an issue that should be discussed on a per ROM-basis? Or is the solution to this issue something that might potentially be applicable to any number of ZTE Blade ROMs?

Anyway, by using the link you suggested I came up with the following list of apk-files to remove/keep:

AccountAndSyncSettings.apk

AlarmClock.apk

ApplicationsProvider.apk

AppWidgetPicker-1.2.3.apk

Bluetooth.apk

Browser.apk

Calculator.apk

Calendar.apk

CalendarProvider.apk

Camera.apk

CarHomeGoogle.apk
--- I don't need the car dock. ---

CarHomeLauncher.apk

CertInstaller.apk

Clicker.apk

Contacts.apk

ContactsProvider.apk

DefaultContainerService.apk

DownloadProvider.apk

DrmProvider.apk

Email.apk

Emode.apk

Filer.apk

Flashlight.apk

FMRadio.apk

FM_zte.apk

Gallery3D.apk

GenieWidget.apk
--- News and Weather Widget. I don't want the people at Google to know what news I read and what my geographical location is. ---

Gmail.apk
--- Google mail. I don't want the people at Google to read my mail. ---

GoogleBackupTransport.apk --- Backup Mechanism for apps and settings? Do I need this? Needed for Google Market? I'll leave this for now. --

GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
--- Calendar sync. I don't want the people at Google to read my calendar. ---

GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
--- Contacts sync. I don't want the people at Google to know the name, phonenumber, street address, birthdate, e-mail etc. of all my friends, family and business contacts. ---

GoogleFeedback.apk --- Do I need this? I'll leave this for now. ---

GooglePartnerSetup.apk --- Do I need this? I'll leave this for now. ---

GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
--- If I want to use a search engine I'll use a web browser ---

GoogleServicesFramework.apk --- Provides account / login information to Google Market and other apps --

HTC_IME.apk

HTMLViewer.apk

LatinIME.apk

Launcher2.apk

LiveWallpapers.apk

LiveWallpapersPicker.apk

MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk

Maps.apk
--- Google Maps. I don't want the people at Google to constantly know my geographic location and what WiFi-networks are in the vincinity. ---

MarketUpdater.apk

MediaProvider.apk

MediaUploader.apk

Mms.apk

Music.apk

NetworkLocation.apk

NoFrillsCPUControl.apk

NotePad.apk

PackageInstaller.apk

PassionQuickOffice.apk
--- Allows Gmail to open attachments. Not needed since I don't use gmail ---

Phone.apk

PicoTts.apk

Protips.apk

QualcommSettings.apk

Sdlog.apk

Settings.apk

SettingsProvider.apk

SetupWizard.apk
--- Google account setup wizard that runs when phone is booted up for the first time. I probably don't want this. I'll leave this for now. ---

SmartDialer.apk

SoundRecorder.apk

SpareParts.apk

SSParts.apk

Stk.apk

stopwatch.apk

Street.apk
--- Streetview for Google Maps. I don't want the people at Google to constantly know my geographic location and what WiFi-networks are in the vincinity. ---

Superuser.apk

Talk.apk
--- Google talk. Does not support encrypted OTR chat sessions. I don't want the people at Google read the instant messages i receive/send to my friends. ---

TaskManager.apk

TelephonyProvider.apk

TtsService.apk

UserDictionaryProvider.apk

Vending.apk

VisualizationWallpapers.apk

VMHeapTool.apk

VoiceSearch.apk
--- Google Voice Search. I don't want the people at google have multiple recordings of my voice. ---

VpnServices.apk

YouTube.apk

Edited by Skoppo

Guest wbaw

NetworkLocation.apk sends your gps co-ordinates & any wireless router mac addresses that your phone can see to google, if it's enabled on your phone, not streetview or maps (although obviously google knows what you're looking at & where you're going if you use those). You also need to make sure that nobody else can get within range of your wlan while carrying a smartphone, or drive past in a streetview car. Might be best to invest in a whole house faraday cage to make sure your wlan mac address doesn't leak where you are.

Vending.apk is the market, that obviously sends data home to google about what apps you're installing.

CM7 would be a better starting point, as it's open source & you can simply choose not to install google apps.

Most of the point of Android is the tight integration of Google services, you're going to miss out on a lot of the functionality of your phone due to your paranoid fantasies about google.

Also remember that ZTE are part of the Chinese government & they like snooping almost as much as Google do. The ZTE NotesPad (sic) app has a worrying amount of permissions granted for just a notepad app. Luckily if ZTE try spying, they'll probably put in that many typos that nobody can understand the data, if it works at all.

You'll also need to tunnel all your data through a vpn, which then goes out through tor to prevent your network operator spying on you. You'll want to rewrite the browser to disable javascript & cookies, etc.

Edited by wbaw

Guest hedgepigdaniel
You'll also need to tunnel all your data through a vpn, which then goes out through tor to prevent your network operator spying on you. You'll want to rewrite the browser to disable javascript & cookies, etc.

hahaha

Its also a good idea not to use search at all - its an evil plot to find out all our darkest secrets. The internet is just as functional with an address bar and some careful guesswork.

Edited by hedgepigdaniel

Guest wbaw
hahaha

Its also a good idea not to use search at all - its an evil plot to find out all our darkest secrets. The internet is just as functional with an address bar and some careful guesswork.

dns is almost as bad, i just type in ip addresses.

Guest wbaw

In short, you need to stop using any kind of phone (except maybe a random payphone miles away while wearing a balaclava & disguising your voice) if you don't want to be tracked. Internet use is tricky too.

Guest t0mm13b
What you're probably looking for... is a phone that doesn't run Android :mellow:

There's a list here of what you can and can't move from Googles stuff: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Barebones

As they've listed the market as removable though, it's possible the market itself is dependant on some of the other stuff they have listed as removable.

It's that bad huh? :o

What I'm looking for in essence is a privacy motivated, stripped down ROM without Google apps onto which open source software, that uses privacy strengthening technologies like client-side peer-to-peer encryption, have been or can be added e.g. Gibberbot OTR-encrypted instant messaging instead of Google Talk.

Hmm.. Perhaps it would be a good idea to start a completely new thread with the subject of creating a ROM that minimizes/disables privacy compromising functionalities of Android that send intimate personal informations to Google? What do you think? Is this an issue that should be discussed on a per ROM-basis? Or is the solution to this issue something that might potentially be applicable to any number of ZTE Blade ROMs?

Anyway, by using the link you suggested I came up with the following list of apk-files to remove/keep:

AlarmClock.apk

ApplicationsProvider.apk

Bluetooth.apk

Browser.apk

Calculator.apk

Calendar.apk

CalendarProvider.apk

Camera.apk

CarHomeGoogle.apk

CarHomeLauncher.apk

CertInstaller.apk

Clicker.apk

Contacts.apk

ContactsProvider.apk

DownloadProvider.apk

DrmProvider.apk

Email.apk

Emode.apk

Filer.apk

Flashlight.apk

FMRadio.apk

FM_zte.apk

Gallery3D.apk

GenieWidget.apk
--- News and Weather Widget. I don't want the people at Google to know what news I read and what my geographical location is. ---

Gmail.apk

GoogleBackupTransport.apk --- Backup Mechanism for apps and settings? Do I need this? Needed for Google Market? I'll leave this for now. --

--- Contacts sync. I don't want the people at Google to know the name, phonenumber, street address, birthdate, e-mail etc. of all my friends, family and business contacts. ---

GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk

GoogleServicesFramework.apk --- Provides account / login information to Google Market and other apps --

HTC_IME.apk

HTMLViewer.apk

LatinIME.apk

Launcher2.apk

LiveWallpapers.apk

LiveWallpapersPicker.apk

MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk

Maps.apk
--- Google Maps. I don't want the people at Google to constantly know my geographic location and what WiFi-networks are in the vincinity. ---

MarketUpdater.apk

MediaProvider.apk

MediaUploader.apk

Mms.apk

Music.apk

NetworkLocation.apk

NoFrillsCPUControl.apk

NotePad.apk

PackageInstaller.apk

PassionQuickOffice.apk

Phone.apk

PicoTts.apk

Protips.apk

QualcommSettings.apk

Sdlog.apk

Settings.apk

SettingsProvider.apk

SetupWizard.apk
--- Google account setup wizard that runs when phone is booted up for the first time. I probably don't want this. I'll leave this for now. ---

SmartDialer.apk

SoundRecorder.apk

SpareParts.apk

SSParts.apk

Stk.apk

stopwatch.apk

Street.apk
--- Streetview for Google Maps. I don't want the people at Google to constantly know my geographic location and what WiFi-networks are in the vincinity. ---

Superuser.apk

Talk.apk
--- Google talk. Does not support encrypted OTR chat sessions. I don't want the people at Google read the instant messages i receive/send to my friends. ---

TaskManager.apk

TelephonyProvider.apk

TtsService.apk

Vending.apk

VMHeapTool.apk

VoiceSearch.apk
--- Google Voice Search. I don't want the people at google have multiple recordings of my voice. ---

VpnServices.apk

YouTube.apk

uhmmm that's quite a list you have there....

For starters - why not check f-droid.org

Download DroidWall, Adblocker(now, there's a worrying sign that some devs of apps will prevent their apps working if you have that in place...)

Or can use DroidWall Rodriguez version 1.5, and simply use that to leverage the iptables script to block outgoing connections... nothing to lose there - what you choose to block is your responsibility and choice also... You can even examine the source code on the f-droid repository to confirm the code that is not doing anything malicious either.....

All to often, its a case of paranoia.... if you have nothing to hide - there is absolutely nothing to fear... its unfortunately a mentality in society... think about it - one sheep goes a certain direction, others will follow.

So take a step back and relax... and breathe... don't join in this "Google are evil"... for starters - how do you really know that its being used against you... the amount of data they go through to nail it down to one person... that's taking it a bit too far I think... I mean, they talk about Petabytes... which is a million Gb, so they're hardly going to search for a needle in the haystack to pinpoint you and say "Oh you were at a such a place accordingly to our geolocation ip and address and time of GPS position....".... get my drift....

Look, simplest thing is.... use the firewall and iptables if you're really security conscious....but what ever you do... please do not install antivirus scanners - they are a bogus thing that jacks into your fear of "android can catch a virus", if you're not certain nor confident about an app - block it...

That's my 2cents on this...

Guest wbaw
So take a step back and relax... and breathe... don't join in this "Google are evil"... for starters - how do you really know that its being used against you... the amount of data they go through to nail it down to one person... that's taking it a bit too far I think... I mean, they talk about Petabytes... which is a million Gb, so they're hardly going to search for a needle in the haystack to pinpoint you and say "Oh you were at a such a place accordingly to our geolocation ip and address and time of GPS position....".... get my drift....

You're missing the point a bit. That's exactly what Google are very good at, mining through thousands of petabytes of data to find that needle in the haystack, it's what they've had some of the best minds in the business (and unlimited cash) trying to perfect for over 10 years. Somebody at Google could type in your gmail address & find out a hell of a lot of info on you that you'd never think was possible.

Their motive for doing that is clear, it's to better target ads & make more money by doing so.

Whether you care about what they're doing or not, or whether you think there are some other secret nefarious reasons for them data mining everything they possibly can (including you) is a question of your own paranoia. They are tracking you though & that's a fact.

Google do provide some really nice & useful services, free of charge, but there's still a cost to using them, your data.

Edited by wbaw

Guest hedgepigdaniel

And to me that seems to be just about the best tradeoff you could make - you get many extremely good and well supported services in return for no effort or money. The "cost" isn't really a cost: the problem with advertising is that its annoying - the whole point of targeted advertising is that it goes from being annoying to being useful, and the pay per click business model makes that a necessity for companies like Google. Not only that but some data (location data for instance) is used directly to improve services - live traffic information on Google maps for instance. You get free services and useful pointers to products that interest you at no real cost. Sure Google has a lot of information about you, but what are they going to do? call your spouse and tell them you're cheating?

Guest JT_daniel

I think that since I have nothing to really hide, I don't care if Google logs my data. I'm not running a 10 billion $ organization for me to fear about spying, the data they log about me isn't worth crap. Well, apart from helping them put on better ads, that is.

If I were you, I'd be more worried about ZTE trying to log your data.

Guys, I had to reflash RLS5 'cos I was having some 3G problems. Reflashed and it's solved now.

A few days before I had to reflash, I had recalibrated my battery and it gave around 55 hours straight. Now that I have flashed RLS5 again, do I need to redo the calibration or is it ok as it is?

And Could somebody clarify this for me please?

Guest -Elmer-

I installed swedish spring rls5 yesterday and I'm most impressed. My San Francisco phone is now far nippier to use and copilot in particular is now far smoother and usable. However the battery now seems to be draining madly. With the phone set to only use 2G and data disabled and wifi and gps turned off the battery has dropped down to 16% overnight! Previously the battery would last just a little under a week. I've left the max clock frequency at 604mhz. On the extra settings hardware accelerated UI is turned on.

Can anyone help? thanks

Guest 167pk
Hi everybody.

QUESTION: Is it possible for me to remove Google Maps, Google Talk, Google Voice Search, Google Mail, Google contact/calendar syncing and any other closed source Google apps before or after installation of Swedish Spring RLS5?

I don't want my phone to sync or communicate with the Google servers at all using any of the preinstalled closed source Google apps.

I read somewhere that if I remove some .apk-files from the system/app folder in the ROM-zip before flashing some of the apps are not installed. If this is true, which files should I remove?

The only Google app I don't want to remove is Google Market.

P.S. If there is any other functionality that enables Android to communicate with Google servers through any other means except the web browser then I would like that feature disabled too.

P.P.S. Will removing any of these apps disable functionality in any non-Google apps i.e. are you aware of any non-Google apps being dependent on any of these Google apps I want to remove?

download an app called "systemapp remover"

Guest 167pk
I installed swedish spring rls5 yesterday and I'm most impressed. My San Francisco phone is now far nippier to use and copilot in particular is now far smoother and usable. However the battery now seems to be draining madly. With the phone set to only use 2G and data disabled and wifi and gps turned off the battery has dropped down to 16% overnight! Previously the battery would last just a little under a week. I've left the max clock frequency at 604mhz. On the extra settings hardware accelerated UI is turned on.

Can anyone help? thanks

recalibrated the battery status

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...bration-protip/

Guest Konstaa
What you're probably looking for... is a phone that doesn't run Android :unsure:

It's that bad huh? :)

AlarmClock.apk

ApplicationsProvider.apk

Bluetooth.apk

Browser.apk

Calculator.apk

Calendar.apk

CalendarProvider.apk

Camera.apk

CarHomeGoogle.apk

CarHomeLauncher.apk

CertInstaller.apk

Clicker.apk

Contacts.apk

ContactsProvider.apk

DownloadProvider.apk

DrmProvider.apk

Email.apk

Emode.apk

Filer.apk

Flashlight.apk

FMRadio.apk

FM_zte.apk

Gallery3D.apk

GenieWidget.apk

Gmail.apk

GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk

HTC_IME.apk

HTMLViewer.apk

LatinIME.apk

Launcher2.apk

LiveWallpapers.apk

LiveWallpapersPicker.apk

MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk

Maps.apk

MarketUpdater.apk

MediaProvider.apk

MediaUploader.apk

Mms.apk

Music.apk

NetworkLocation.apk

NoFrillsCPUControl.apk

NotePad.apk

PackageInstaller.apk

PassionQuickOffice.apk

Phone.apk

PicoTts.apk

Protips.apk

QualcommSettings.apk

Sdlog.apk

Settings.apk

SettingsProvider.apk

SetupWizard.apk

SmartDialer.apk

SoundRecorder.apk

SpareParts.apk

SSParts.apk

Stk.apk

stopwatch.apk

Street.apk

Superuser.apk

Talk.apk

TaskManager.apk

TelephonyProvider.apk

TtsService.apk

Vending.apk

VMHeapTool.apk

VoiceSearch.apk

VpnServices.apk

YouTube.apk

Yes, use TB.

Guest Dark_Sorcerer
it looked like you saw the feature written but not in the ROM itself.

it's okay man :) try to PM the developer.

Thanks for the tip. :unsure:

Guest saatana

Hi i got a problem with my blade, my phone wont find any new music on the sd card. When i runned CM7 it worked and as fast as i put the music on the sd card and unplugged the phone it automaticly found the new music but now when i run Swedish spring RLS5 the phone wont find any new music. I can see the tracks

in fileviewer but the music player doesnt find them.

What should i do ? :unsure:

Edited by saatana

Guest Skoppo
All to often, its a case of paranoia.... if you have nothing to hide - there is absolutely nothing to fear... its unfortunately a mentality in society... think about it - one sheep goes a certain direction, others will follow.

Precisely. People just don't like to think about how much power has been gained over them just by finding out what they say to their friends, where they are, who they are and what they are about to do next. In essence all the information contained in a persons e-mails calendar, phonebook, web searches, voice and instant messages combined with everybody else e-mails, calendars, phonebooks and the like is basically all that is needed to find out who person is and thinks.

uhmmm that's quite a list you have there....

For starters - why not check f-droid.org

Excellent! Now I can instantly reapleace Android Market with F-Droid Repository a free open source installer/updater which offers a massive list of only free open source software. Just what I was looking for! Of course in addition to this I would also like to make sure that all the closed source spyware on my device is disabled/removed but this is an excellent start.

I'm actually not very knowledgeable into all things Android. I recently got myself an Android phone and was rather disappointed when I turned out to be a handheld spyware application 10 times worse than any spyware I've ever had on my computer (Facebook discluded since that isn't actually on my computer).

Exactly. It would be absolutely ludicrous to think that any organisation on any level of the network with access to all the personal data Google has wouldn't make good use of it like provide governments, police forces and various agencies around the world access to it in order to gain influence or monetary gain regardless of the implications of the individual whose information was being used. Anyhow, I never really reallized up until now what a potent spyware a piece of telephone software can be. The best thing really would be to have a completely open source phone with open source hardware, open source OS and open source software running on top of it. Obviously after that you would still have the problem with DNS lookups and the like but at least I wouldn't be empowering every possible level of the network with my most personal information.

Look, simplest thing is.... use the firewall and iptables if you're really security conscious....but what ever you do... please do not install antivirus scanners - they are a bogus thing that jacks into your fear of "android can catch a virus", if you're not certain nor confident about an app - block it...

That's my 2cents on this...

I'll kep that in mind.

And thanks for your suggestions!

Edited by Skoppo

Guest Carbonize

Yes because you're life is so interesting and important that everybody wants to know where you are, what you are doing and so forth.

Shall we shed a little light on your overly paranoid life? All the calls you make and receive, all the SMS/MMS you send and receive, all the emails you ever send and receive are stored on a server for two years if not more. This has always been the case long before smart phones. If the government were that concerned they could easily ping your phone at any time to find out what cell tower you are currently connected to to get your rough location. And you're worried about what information you are sharing with Google's servers?

Edited by Carbonize

Guest Skoppo

Precisely. This is exactly the scale of the problem.

And this is why steps should - and can - now be taken to improve security at e.g. client side to make it more difficult on all levels of the network to collect and centralize this sensitive nformation which is really only intended for peer-to-peer disclosure.

I should say though that this has very little do with the life stories of indidual people and everything to do with power to undemocraticaly rule over whole socities and even globaly without knowledge and concent of the people being disempowered.

Edited by Skoppo

Guest Carbonize

And given that all this information actually has to go through the network just how do you intend to prevent them from storing it? Stored SMS messages have been useful in many cases where a child has gone missing to see who they were talking to and what they were saying. If you don't want your numbers and messages logged then stop using a mobile phone. Don't want your emails stored? Stop using email.

Guest Konstaa
Hi i got a problem with my blade, my phone wont find any new music on the sd card. When i runned CM7 it worked and as fast as i put the music on the sd card and unplugged the phone it automaticly found the new music but now when i run Swedish spring RLS5 the phone wont find any new music. I can see the tracks

in fileviewer but the music player doesnt find them.

What should i do ? :unsure:

You should do a full wipe Saatana.

Edited by Konstaa

Guest flshg

saatana

before doing a full wipe, you could try clearing data from the music app in manage apps, and also check in case of particularly large or corrupted music files in one of your music folders.

Guest Skoppo

Client-side peer-to-peer encryption for all applications using communications that pass through or store data on third party servers or use unsecure channels i.e. the Internet, WiFi, 3G, satellite or third party cabling etc.

A lot of protocols and techniques already exist for this (e.g. e-mail and instant messaging) but more are needed (e.g. social media).

Adults spying on their own children is necessary in certain cases and should be possible, but adults spying on other adults is a criminal unauthorized intrusion of privacy and something that goes against basic human rights even when the authority doing the spying is a government or a current or future dictator or such.

And given that all this information actually has to go through the network just how do you intend to prevent them from storing it? Stored SMS messages have been useful in many cases where a child has gone missing to see who they were talking to and what they were saying. If you don't want your numbers and messages logged then stop using a mobile phone. Don't want your emails stored? Stop using email.
Edited by Skoppo